smtp error message solved (was Re: smtp error message)

I just discovered the meaning of a mysterious error code; or at least
one possible meaning.  The problem was that an smtp mail message
didn't get sent out from one system I administer to another system I
administer, and that messages between them worked fine earlier, and
there was no config change.

The sending system is
  DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 - ECO 1
  on a AlphaStation 255/300 running OpenVMS V7.1-2

The receiving system is
  HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 - ECO 1
  on a Digital Personal WorkStation  running OpenVMS V7.3-2

The UCX SMTP log file on the sending system shows an error message of:

smtp_sender_close sclose R0 status = -1, errno = 65535, vaxc$errno = 316

where:
$ exit 316
%SYSTEM-F-IVCHAN, invalid I/O channel

On the receiving system, there is no new TCPIP$SMTP_RECV_RUN.LOG file.

Restarting SMTP on both systems had no effect.  Restarting the entire
TCPIP package on both systems also had no effect.

As it turns out, the sending system is just fine, the error is on the
receiving system, and the error code has nothing to do with the error!

I have disk quotas enabled on the system disk.  Without realizing it,
the TCPIP$SMTP account had exceeded its disk quota.  This caused the
receiving process to terminate early.  Subsequent activations of the
smtp receiver were immediately over quota and never got started.

I'm a little hazy on why the lack of error message, or the entire
sequence of failures.  When I increased the disk quota, however, I
immediately started receiving emails again, so this had to be it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Lawrence Bleau
University of Maryland
Physics Dept., Space Physics Group
301-405-6223
bleau@umtof.umd.edu
0
bleau (50)
10/19/2004 7:47:02 PM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Lawrence Bleau wrote:

> I just discovered the meaning of a mysterious error code; or at least
> one possible meaning.  The problem was that an smtp mail message
> didn't get sent out from one system I administer to another system I
> administer, and that messages between them worked fine earlier, and
> there was no config change.
>
> The sending system is
>   DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 - ECO 1
>   on a AlphaStation 255/300 running OpenVMS V7.1-2
>
> The receiving system is
>   HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 - ECO 1
>   on a Digital Personal WorkStation  running OpenVMS V7.3-2
....snip...
> I have disk quotas enabled on the system disk.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  A good thing NOT to do.

....snip...

> Lawrence Bleau
> University of Maryland
> Physics Dept., Space Physics Group
> 301-405-6223
> bleau@umtof.umd.edu

Usual disclaimer: All opinions are mine alone, perhaps not even that.
Mike Rechtman                            *rechtman@tzora.co.il*
Kibbutz Tzor'a.                          Voice (home): 972-2-9908337
  "20% of a job takes 80% of the time, the rest takes another 80%"

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error
:smileysad:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I cant send any Email to nobody....................................................... &nbsp; So these are the facts: I have an email accont, supose :<a href="mailto:user@hotmail.com" target="_blank">user@hotmail.com</a>, how can i use that email acount to send email to anyone??????? is this VI can be configured as an outlook express program? Because it doesnt ask passwords for acces the acount. How can i sen emails? it is necesary to have corporate accounts??? can i give the URL of Gmail for example : smtp.gmail.com...

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error #2
Almost all email servers nowadays (including Hotmail and GMail) require a username and password for authentication. The SMTP VIs that ship with LabVIEW do not support authentication. I have yet to figure out why NI left this out for so long. You can use the OpenG SMTP Library that you can find <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=220354&amp;requireLogin=False" target="_blank">here</a>. NOTE: These won't work with servers that use <a href="http://forums.openg.org/index.php?showtopic=170&amp;pid=1389&am...

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error #3
Are you sure the server that you're using isn't using SSL? I don't know of any email servers that don't require authentication, but I'm sure there's some out there. They're far less common because they can be used as SPAM relays, and are sometimes blacklisted. Note that you can also try the <a href="http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1373" target="_blank">POP Mail VIs</a>. Thanks for pointing me to that VI, i finally saw my emails on my account. But what i need is to send emails not to read them so this is what i have learned so...

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error #6
Well, I never said anything it being useful or not kidding users. :smileywink: ...

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error #5
rolfk wrote:smercurio_fc wrote:Almost all email servers nowadays (including Hotmail and GMail) require a username and password for authentication. The SMTP VIs that ship with LabVIEW do not support authentication. I have yet to figure out why NI left this out for so long. You can use the OpenG SMTP Library that you can find <a href="message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=220354&amp;requireLogin=False" target="_blank">here</a>. NOTE: These won't work with servers that use <a href="http://forums.openg.org/index.php?showtopic=170&amp;pid=1389&a...

Re: SMTP Email Send Message Error #4
If you're on Windows you have another option, which is to use .NET. Then you can send emails using a server that requires authentication and SSL. There are examples on how to use .NET in LabVIEW (Help -&gt; Find Examples), and you can find tons of examples of how to send emails using .NET on the internet with Google. ...

SMTP Server: Error importing RFC822 message stream
Your Notes server might have run out of disk space ! ...

(assert-error) tests errors and error messages
I wrote (assert-error) to make sure that a function generates an error, and verify the error message. What do you think? Below is the definition and a few test cases, for Emacs 22.1.50. (require 'cl) (defmacro assert-error (form &optional regexp) "FORM must signal an error. Signal an error otherwise. Additionally, the error message must match REGEXP. Case is ignored while matching REGEXP." (let ((msg (make-symbol "msg")) (ok (make-symbol "ok")) (res (make-symbol "res"))) `(let ((,ok nil)) (condition-case err ...

Re: Segmentation error: was: SAS Error Message
Short answer: this probably is not a problem with SAS. Segmentation errors usually arise when there is a bug in the program. Have you run the shell script from an interactive session to verify it works? Are you either writing the shell script, or writing a parameter file for the shell script from within your SAS session? If so, look again at the syntax of the created script or inclusion file. Usually, these errors occur where array references are out of bounds or use pointers that are corrupt or uninitialised. Modifying your shell script with a series of PrintF() statements will help y...

Smtp
With the smtp package, if the password is incorrect, the error is thrown as follows, with no indication that the password is incorrect: 400: premature end-of-file from server (Note: this has nothing to do with the other bug I am reporting.) drscrypt@gmail.com wrote: > With the smtp package, if the password is incorrect, the error is thrown > as follows, with no indication that the password is incorrect: > > 400: premature end-of-file from server > > > > (Note: this has nothing to do with the other bug I am reporting.) > Turn on detai...

Incorrect SMTP error message added
Using sendmail 8.12.10 on SuSE Linux 9.0 with all security patches attached. I wonder about an additional "user unknown message" when messages get rejected on the remote side because of an SPF fail. Example (from the bounce message): ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <someone@gmx.net> (reason: 550-5.7.1 {mx073} The recipient does not accept mails from 'example.com' over foreign mailservers.) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mx0.gmx.net.: >>> RCPT To:<someone@gmx.net> <<...

SMTP AUTH syslog error message
Hi all! I am running Sendmail 8.12.10 configured to use SMTP AUTH and STARTTLS, in conjunction with cyrus-sasl 2.15 running saslauthd authenting against shadow. Now I face for just one user that when he is sending mail - he uses Mozilla mail client - error messages in my syslog file: Jan 24 04:19:30 blacky sendmail[11181]: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory Jan 24 04:19:30 blacky sendmail[11181]: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory Jan 24 04:19:30 blacky sendmail[11181]: no secret in database I am not familiar with sasl in dept...

SMTP Email Send Message Error
When I using SMTP Email Send Message in Labview 8.0 to send an email message and I get a error message as bellow: &nbsp; Error 16500 occurred at 500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "MIME-Version: 1.0" Possible reason(s): LabVIEW:&nbsp; (Hex 0x4074) 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized. For example, the command line might be too long. &nbsp; Where the mistake and how to solve this error to send an email by Labview 8.0. &nbsp; Thank you. Can you give an example? &nbsp; I did some digging around in the SMTP Email Send Message code and the MIME version 1.0 command is...

FATAL error message-1 and error message-36 ? xp pro conflict??
I just loaded an old version of ps 4.0 on my dell latitude cpx laptop win xp pro and autocad 2002. The ps cd has been sitting on my shelf for about 3 years in a stable environment and appears in perfect condition. My computer and acad work fine. But when I open an image from either zip or c drive i get fatal error 1 and 36???I can open an image from the ps sample folders without the fatal error. Is this incompatability with xp pro or acad? Maybe the ps disc is bad?? If the disc is bad is there any help I can get from adobe I never made a back up. Any insight will help. Mike ...

Error Number 3000: Reserved Error (-3002); there is no message for this error
Help... I've been moving code about to tidy it up and this error is occuring. I have tracked it down to a set querydef command, i have properly specified a database and am using correct syntax for the set command but this error is popping up. Any ideas why? Please help....... Rob. Try to decompile the database (command-line switch /decompile) dkintheuk wrote: > Help... > > I've been moving code about to tidy it up and this error is occuring. > > I have tracked it down to a set querydef command, i have properly > specified a database and am using correct syn...

error vb : 3000 : Reserved error (-5400) there is no message for this error
Hello, i have a problem when i connect an access 97 database with an text file "3000 Reserved error (-5400); there is no message for this error." The attachment is an example of a textfile that i want to connect through vb 6.0 vb code : strtable = "FileName" strconnect = "Text;HDR=NO;IMEX=2;FMT=Fixed;Database=c:\temp" strSourcetable = "MAILGV2939.TXT" Set tdfLinked = dbsTemp.CreateTableDef(strTable) tdfLinked.Connect = strConnect tdfLinked.SourceTableName = strSourceTable dbsTemp.TableDefs.Append tdfLinked what is the solution to this pro...

When using "error" should the error message and error information be the same?
I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy usage of the "error" command. To this time when I return an error I use the command set errMsg "An Error Message" error $errMsg $errMsg I was wondering if maybe I was using the arguments incorrectly here or if in reality there is no real difference between the two other than when it is available to the user (along with the returned stack when using $errorInfo). Eddie Borjas wrote: > I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy > usage of the "error" command. To this tim...

Persistent SMTP error messages with no mail pending
I'm using Lotus Domino server v6.5, and this is an excerpt from my server's activity log: 12/08/2004 12:38:04 PM Router: No messages transferred to SOLARS.SNU.AC.KR (host SOLARS.SNU.AC.KR) via SMTP: The server is not responding. The server may be down or you may be experiencing network problems. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists. 12/08/2004 12:38:04 PM Router: No messages transferred to YOHOO.COM (host dev.null) via SMTP: The remote server is not a known TCP/IP host. 12/08/2004 12:38:06 PM Router: No messages transferred to ASSEMBLY.CO.KR (host ma...

Error: AgentSocketPullInput error message
Hello all... I'm getting the following message repeated in the /var/adm/snmpd.log on HP-UX 11.11 server: AgentSocketPullInput: short read pending on socket close, data discarded at line 491 in file ../common.c I've been surfing around for the info but haven't had any luck finding a reference to this error message and what it might mean? I've done a stare 'n compare against a working snmpd.conf that's working just fine. Would anybody have a cluegram as to where I can look for some idea what this message is telling me...? ...

Error returned with no error message
Hi All, I am trying to access a Transform Data Task in a DTS by double clicking it. When I do, I get a message similar to "HResult of 0x80004005 (-2147467259) returned Unexpected error occurred. An error was returned without an error message" and the properties screen does not appear. Firstly this has got to be the most useless alert ever to appear on my screen, but more importantly what can I do about it? I cannot execute the step either as I get the same message. I thought that the DTS may have become corrupted but it is also happening when I create new DTS packages. Can...

Error message after posting a message
Hi, I just posted a message on the comp.text.tex forum and after I was told that the post has been successful, I get the following message when I try to access my message. I have seen this sort of message before. Any idea what this means. I do not want to send a duplicate post as yet because this all might be some glitch in the system. There are no more messages on this topic. All messages in this topic may have expired or been deleted. Regards, Tariq ...

Help :errors messages on messages
Hi, Im a newbie on Sun SOlaris, but Im trying to help someone on this. I saw this error on messages file, does it mean a problem ? /usr/sbin/vold[1163]: problem unmounting /vol; Interrupted system call and these dumps : unix: dump on /dev/md/dsk/d8 size 3000 MB dump on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 size 3000 MB are they symptom of a problem or are they scheduled by some utility like dumpadm ? Why do the dumps occur, problem or scheduled ? TIA Carlos carlos_correia@netcabo.pt (Carlos) writes: >Hi, Im a newbie on Sun SOlaris, but Im trying to help someone on this. >I saw this error on message...

apply bounce to multiple messages AND ignore SMTP errors
Hi, quite an obscure problem, but I'm trying to move 1000+ email messages from a folder to an account on gmail. I can select them and apply the bounce function . Fine. My problem is that my smtp server will not allow .ZIP attachments for security reasons. This means that if any of the mails has a ZIP the whole thing stops. It's not easy to see where either. I wondered if there is a setting (I know pine has a few ;) ) that says to APPLY BOUNCE 'ignore errors and skip to next message' ...

fpga -Re:ERROR MESSAGE INDICATIN X-FLOW PROGRAM MAP RETURNED ERROR CODE
sir, &nbsp; I am working on a project using ni rio-7831R uaing labview fpga1.1, on compiling on to the device i am encountering a error giving follow message: &nbsp; Problem encountered during the packing phase.ERROR:Xflow - Program map returned error code 2. Aborting flow execution... &nbsp; so please, recommend me the action so that i could compile my project without error. &nbsp; &nbsp; vamsi Hi Vamsi, The information you are looking for is in this KB: Why Does My FPGA Compile Give An OVERMAPPED Error When Compiling? &lt; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/publ...

Web resources about - smtp error message solved (was Re: smtp error message) - comp.os.vms

Message - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may ...

Malcolm Turnbull's Valentine's Day message stirs gay marriage row
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has reignited criticism of his government's same-sex marriage policy after posting on social media to celebrate ...

Malcolm Turnbull's Valentine's Day message stirs gay marriage row
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has reignited&nbsp;criticism of his government's same-sex marriage policy after posting on social media to celebrate ...

Malcolm Turnbull's Valentine's Day message stirs gay marriage row
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has reignited criticism of his government's same-sex marriage policy after posting on social media to celebrate ...

Pope issues tough-love message to Mexico's political elite
Pope Francis has begun a five-day visit to Mexico, where he is addressing some of the country's troubles, including corruption, violence and ...

Pope to bring message of hope to gritty Mexico City suburb - ABC-7.com WZVN News for Fort Myers, Cape ...
Pope Francis heads into the capital's crime-ridden suburb of Ecatepec on Sunday to see firsthand the reality of the Mexican "periphery," where ...

Pope kicks off Mexico visit with social justice message
Thousands line Mexico City's streets to cheer leader of Catholic Church as he starts historic week-long visit.

Read the news like you’re reading text messages with Quartz
Have you ever wished you could get the latest news in a conversational style, where you pick and choose what you read more about? In other words, ...

Donald Trump: My Campaign ‘A Message Of Optimism’
Donald Trump: My Campaign 'A Message Of Optimism'

Humans are about to send elaborate messages into space that answers a fundamental question about our ...
There's a serious debate over whether or not humans should send messages into space. Intellectual minds like Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have ...