SYSMAN: No SYS$SCRATCH/SYS$LOGIN ?

$ mc sysman
SYSMAN> set env/node=velo
%SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
         Individual nodes: VELO
         Username JFMEZEI      will be used on nonlocal nodes

SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch
%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO
%SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH
SYSMAN>

There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined.

(VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3)

What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ?
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

JF Mezei wrote:
> $ mc sysman
> SYSMAN> set env/node=velo
> %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
>         Individual nodes: VELO
>         Username JFMEZEI      will be used on nonlocal nodes
>
> SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch
> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO
> %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH
> SYSMAN>
>
> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined.
>
> (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3)
>
> What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ?

Perhaps because LOGINOUT.EXE has not run?

Those logicals are created when you log in to a node but I don't thing
SYSMAN actually logs you in!

0
rgilbert88 (4439)
5/25/2007 10:05:20 PM
In article <7b251$4657378a$cef8887a$16480@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> writes:

> $ mc sysman
> SYSMAN> set env/node=velo
> %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
>          Individual nodes: VELO
>          Username JFMEZEI      will be used on nonlocal nodes
>
> SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch
> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO
> %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH
> SYSMAN>
>
> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined.

Of course, you can (and should) define SYS$SCRATCH yourself, and if you
want, it would also be available with SYSMAN (F$MODEE() .EQS. "OTHER").
From SYS$SYLOGIN:

$ Set NoOn
$ VERIFY = F$VERIFY(F$TRNLNM("SYLOGIN_VERIFY"))

$! we need this later on
$!
$  USERNAME = F$EDIT(F$GETJPI("","USERNAME"),"TRIM")
$!
$!
$ Goto MODE_'F$MODE()'
$!
$!
$MODE_INTERACTIVE:

$! Fall through...
$!
$MODE_BATCH:

$! Fall through...
$
$MODE_NETWORK:
$
$! Place those commands that should be available to interactive users,
$! to batch jobs, and to network jobs, below.  (Few commands should be
$! placed here, as network tasks do not normally need symbols nor
$! logical names defined in SYLOGIN.)
$
$
$! Fall through...
$
$MODE_OTHER:
$
$! Place those commands that should be available to interactive users,
$! to batch jobs, and to network jobs, below.  (Very few commands should
$! be placed here, as detached processes do not normally need symbols nor
$! logical names defined in SYLOGIN.)
$!
$!
$! SYSMAN is mode OTHER, so stuff needed by SYSMAN should go in here
$!
$!
$  @ SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS
$!
$!
$! SYS$SCRATCH etc
$!
$  IF F$GETDVI("DISK$SCRATCH","EXISTS")
$  THEN
$    IF F$GETDVI("DISK$SCRATCH","AVL") .AND. F$GETDVI("DISK$SCRATCH","MNT")
$    THEN
$      DEFINE/JOB SYS$SCRATCH DISK$SCRATCH:['USERNAME']
$    ELSE
$      DEFINE/JOB SYS$SCRATCH DISK$USER:[SCRATCH.'USERNAME']
$    ENDIF
$  ELSE
$    DEFINE/JOB SYS$SCRATCH DISK$USER:[SCRATCH.'USERNAME']
$  ENDIF
$!
$!
$ Exit 1

> What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ?

There's probably a historical reason.

0
helbig (5064)
5/26/2007 11:02:19 AM
JF Mezei wrote:

> $ mc sysman
> SYSMAN> set env/node=velo
> %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
>          Individual nodes: VELO
>          Username JFMEZEI      will be used on nonlocal nodes
>
> SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch
> %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO
> %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH
> SYSMAN>
>
> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined.
>
> (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3)
>
> What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ?

Perhaps this will shed some light:

DJAS01::DDACHTERA$ mc sysman do write sys$output f$getj( 0, "mode" )
%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node DJAS01
OTHER

SYS$SYLOGIN does indeed get executed...

DJAS01::DDACHTERA$ sear sys$sylogin:.com tt_devname
$ tt_devname = f$trnlnm("TT")
    (f$locate("WSA",tt_devname) .ne. f$len(tt_devname))
    (f$locate("MBA",tt_devname) .ne. f$len(tt_devname))
$ define/job tt_devname &tt_devname
DJAS01::DDACHTERA$ mc sysman do sho log/job
%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node DJAS01
(LNM$JOB_80DC7DC0)
  "TT_DEVNAME" = "_MBA3662:"

I'd be careful about conditioning logical name assignments and such based on a
MODE of OTHER, BTW...

--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems