What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.

Thanks!

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com

"Slor" <semaj@rols.ten> schreef in bericht
> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I
recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> James
> http://www.e-host-direct.com
> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

James, a 3000-600 will run most versions of VMS. There is no reason why you
shouldn't run V8.3. Later versions of VMS are performance oriented and even
a 3000-600 my actually benefit. Of course Digital's time honoured advice
applies to you as well: "buy more memory":-)
Other versions that are quite stable: V7.3-2 and V7.2 or V7.1. I run 7.3 on
a Multia. It is usable, and stable.
Hans

0
hvlems (930)
7/16/2007 4:29:23 PM
Slor wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.
>
> Thanks!

It originally came out with 6.1 if I remember correctly. Any version
later than that will run on it. The memory is on the lower side, but if
you don't plan to run graphics nor heavy applications, it'll work
sufficiently. If you can find memory to upgrade to 256MB or more, you
can do a lot of things with it. You need to add memory in sets of eight
(8) SIMMs. You'll find hardware documentation at http://vt100.net/manx
VMS V8.3 will work fine depending on what you will do with the machine.
It is not significantly more resource hog than the earlier versions.
What you install and run affects the resources more than the basic O/S.

You might have a 1GB system disk there, but 2GB or larger would be best.
Newer 4GB or larger disks are faster and will help the machine to
perform better, too.

You cannot expect that the machine with its 175MHz will be a blazing
speed demon, but for exploring VMS it is a nice piece of hardware. Btw.
the case is one of the sturdiest I've seen.

When using the latest version of VMS you also have the widest selection
of features.

Regards,

Kari

0
uusimaki (21)
7/16/2007 4:52:19 PM
Slor wrote:
> I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.

I'd go for the latest available version that you can get your hands on,
whether it's the hobbyist V7.3-1 distro, V7.3-2 or (for the most
features and such) the current V8.3 distro.

The OpenVMS Alpha releases that still see ECOs released are V6.2,
V6.2-1H3, V7.3-2, V8.2 and V8.3.  I'd not tend to prefer to use other
releases.

Do get a CD distro here; don't try to load this box via any other means
-- at least until you have some experience with loading OpenVMS through
"creative" means, or another OpenVMS box running locally.  Using Linux,
Mac OS X or some other operating system other than OpenVMS itself to
load a VAX, Alpha or Integrity box is comparatively tricky.  The CD (or
DVD, in the case of OpenVMS I64) makes this far easier.  Alternative
initial system loading techniques are a comparatively advanced topic
when you're dealing with a file system that most other operating systems
do not recognize.

OpenVMS has always liked more RAM.  64 MB is a minimal configuration for
an older OpenVMS Alpha box (even for an early V6.2 release); I'd tend to
look to get a half-gig or more, or whatever the box itself supports.

High-level technical configuration details for this and other
equivalent-vintage VAX and Alpha boxes  -- such as how much memory you
can stuff into the box, and the associated part numbers -- are typically
in the DIGITAL Systems and Options Catalog (SOC) documents, which are
available via the http://www.hp.com/go/productbulletin web site.

There's a hobbyist intro here: http://64.223.189.234/node/6

--
www.HoffmanLabs.com
Services for OpenVMS

I got the memory through ELI.COM for about $150 (MS15-DA), which they
currently list for $145.
The next size up, MS15-EA for 128MB, they list for $545: the larger
capacity SIMMs were rare and therefore expensive.  With the M600 you
should be able to get a respectable amount of memory without getting
into the larger SIMMs.

Here's thier table for the 3000 series (I don't work for them, just
thought I'd pass along there experence...)
http://eli.com/Alpha3000400-900Series.cfm?c=112&a=category

Sean

On Jul 16, 8:43 am, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

0
sean80 (130)
7/16/2007 8:06:13 PM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:06:13 -0700, <sean@obanion.us> wrote:

> In 2000, I had a M500 (same memory SIMMs but only takes half as many
> as the M600) that came with 32MB, and I added 64MB (which displaced
> 16MB) and VMS 7.2 (?), giveing me 90MB.
> It was much happier ... until I tried to start DECnet Plus.
>
> I got the memory through ELI.COM for about $150 (MS15-DA), which they
> currently list for $145.
> The next size up, MS15-EA for 128MB, they list for $545: the larger
> capacity SIMMs were rare and therefore expensive.  With the M600 you
> should be able to get a respectable amount of memory without getting
> into the larger SIMMs.
>
> Here's thier table for the 3000 series (I don't work for them, just
> thought I'd pass along there experence...)
> http://eli.com/Alpha3000400-900Series.cfm?c=3D112&a=3Dcategory
>

> Sean
>
> On Jul 16, 8:43 am, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
>> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I  =

>> recently
>> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
>> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too  =

>> recent,
>> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from=

>> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specif=
ic  =

>> OS
>> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
>> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

-- =

PL/I for OpenVMS
www.kednos.com
0
tom298 (791)

<sean@obanion.us> wrote in message
> In 2000, I had a M500 (same memory SIMMs but only takes half as many
> as the M600) that came with 32MB, and I added 64MB (which displaced
> 16MB) and VMS 7.2 (?), giveing me 90MB.
> It was much happier ... until I tried to start DECnet Plus.

[snip]

I'd go with 8.3 too but would avoid DECnet Plus, going instead with DECnet
Phase IV. Or, if you don't need/want it, don't install DECnet at all.

Paul

0
PEN
7/16/2007 9:42:49 PM
In article <Xns996F775E38D4Aemuslor@216.196.97.136>,
 Slor <semaj@rols.ten> wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.
>
> Thanks!

I tested V8.3 with this system, with less than 64 MB.  IIRC, I started
having some startup problems when I got a bit below 40 MB.

I had DECnet-plus and TCPIP configured with 64 MB and they both worked.
I don' believe I configured DECwindows.

This was only a sanity check with minimum memory; I didn't run extensive
tests, nor was I worrying about performance.

64 MB really is a practical minimum for V8.3.  You'd do better with 128
MB or more.  Even 96 MB would be a noticeable improvement over 64MB.

64 MB kits were plentiful back in the day, and shouldn't cost much.  The
128 and 25 MB kits were considerably rarer, and will be more expensive
when they appear in the used market.

V7.3-2 was the last to support some of the high-end turbochannel
graphics cards (via the Open3D layered product).  Support for the base
graphics cards is included in the OS and is still there in V8.3.

  -- Robert
Slor schrieb:

> Also, if increasing the RAM would help it be more suited for a specific OS
> version, I can consider looking for more memory as well.

there's this guy, Ben Myers (ben_myers@charter.net),
who posts on comp.sys.dec every now and then.
A couple of months ago he had a pile of old DEC memory on sale,
including MS15-DA IIRC. About $2 per 8MB or so.

0
M.Kraemer (2048)
7/17/2007 7:42:13 AM
I have OpenVMS 8.3 running on a DEC 3000-M600 with 64MB and a PMGD-BA
(a 24 bit 3D graphics card). It was very easy to install. The box was
running tru64 V5.0.

If you need help obtaining media for OpenVMS 8.3 let me know, I may be
able to help.

Regards,

Mark

0
mark525 (244)
7/17/2007 7:59:30 AM
Thanks guys for all the feedback.

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
0
semaj (77)
7/18/2007 5:26:44 PM
On Jul 18, 12:26 pm, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
> Thanks guys for all the feedback.
>
> --
> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

James,
     if you don't mind saying, are you in the US?

Rich

0
jordan (1228)
7/19/2007 3:50:02 PM
<semaj@rols.ten> writes:

> Hello everyone.  I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
> picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
> preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine.  If I go too recent,
> I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
> experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running 7.3-2 on one and will probably move to 8.3 soon.  8.3 is
supported on this machine.  Minimum memory requirements have increased
over the years.  I believe 7.3-2 officially requires 64 MB.  I did run
it (but did not install it---I swapped the system disk) on a machine
with 48 MB, but performance was lacking.

I have 192 MB of memory in mine.  It can even run CSWB, but quite
slowly.  I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.

0
helbig (5064)
7/19/2007 9:29:06 PM
Despite all prevention efforts, Rich Jordan <jordan@ccs4vms.com> wrote in

> On Jul 18, 12:26 pm, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
>> Thanks guys for all the feedback.
>>
>> --
>> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
>> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
>
> James,
>      if you don't mind saying, are you in the US?
>
> Rich

Yep, I'm in the US.

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
0
semaj (77)
7/23/2007 4:17:13 PM
Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:

> I have 192 MB of memory in mine.  It can even run CSWB, but quite
> slowly.  I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.

This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme.  So far, I have yet
to track anyone down who has memory for this system.  I tried the person
that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
the memory he was selling.  Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
know someone who might?

thanks

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
0
semaj (77)
7/23/2007 4:19:04 PM
Slor wrote:
> Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
> Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:
>

>>I have 192 MB of memory in mine.  It can even run CSWB, but quite
>>slowly.  I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.
>>

> This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme.  So far, I have yet
> to track anyone down who has memory for this system.  I tried the person
> that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
> the memory he was selling.  Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
> know someone who might?
>
> thanks

Try "Memory World".  ISTR buying Alpha compatible memory from them once
upon a time.  Genuine DEC parts may be hard to come by but there should
be lots of "third party" memory available.

0
rgilbert88 (4439)
7/23/2007 6:09:56 PM
In article <Xns99767D7D1E6E8emuslor@216.196.97.136>,
 Slor <semaj@rols.ten> wrote:

> Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
> Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:
>

> > I have 192 MB of memory in mine.  It can even run CSWB, but quite
> > slowly.  I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.
> >

> This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme.  So far, I have yet
> to track anyone down who has memory for this system.  I tried the person
> that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
> the memory he was selling.  Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
> know someone who might?
>
> thanks

DEC 3000 systems (EXCEPT for the model 300 flavors, which are different)
take memory in groups of 8 identical SIMMs.  Memory wasn't particularly
standardized back then (1992), and these SIMMs don't match any PC memory
AFAIK.

DEC 3000-M600 systems take either 1 or 2 memory kits (8 or 16 SIMMs
total).

DEC part numbers for memory kits were:
MS15-BA (16 MB kit)   - discontinued early, rare, I've never seen them
MS15-CA (32 MB kit)
MS15-DA (64 MB kit)
MS15-EA (128 MB kit)  - originally expensive, now uncommon
MS15-FA (256 MB kit)  - originally very expensive, now rare

These are all 100-pin SIMMs.

The 32 MB kit only has RAM chips on 1 side; the 64 MB kit uses the same
board, with chips on both sides.

Similarly, the 128 MB kit has chips on 1 side; the 256 MB kit has chips
on both sides.

In addition to DEC, a few other vendors made compatible memory.
Kingston and DataRAM at least.

I find a few kits available on ebay now.  I searched for MS15-CA,
MS15-DA, and so on.  I see all kit sizes from 32 MB up to 256 MB.
Despite all prevention efforts, Robert Deininger
<rdeininger@mindspring.dot.com> wrote in
..mx:

> The 32 MB kit only has RAM chips on 1 side; the 64 MB kit uses the same
> board, with chips on both sides.
>
> Similarly, the 128 MB kit has chips on 1 side; the 256 MB kit has
> chips on both sides.
>
> In addition to DEC, a few other vendors made compatible memory.
> Kingston and DataRAM at least.
>
> I find a few kits available on ebay now.  I searched for MS15-CA,
> MS15-DA, and so on.  I see all kit sizes from 32 MB up to 256 MB.

Thanks for all the info.  It's easier to seach eBay knowing the model
numbers. :)

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
0
semaj (77)
7/24/2007 7:40:27 PM
On Jul 23, 11:17 am, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
> Despite all prevention efforts, Rich Jordan <jor...@ccs4vms.com> wrote innews:1184860202.907167.195300@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Jul 18, 12:26 pm, Slor <se...@rols.ten> wrote:
> >> Thanks guys for all the feedback.
>
> >> --
> >> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
> >> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
>
> > James,
> >      if you don't mind saying, are you in the US?
>
> > Rich
>
> Yep, I'm in the US.
>
> --
> Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
> Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

James,
     the email address for you that shows up in google groups is
invalid.  Send me an email please; I have a small memory kit you can
have.

Rich

0
jordan (1228)
7/25/2007 8:53:43 PM
Despite all prevention efforts, Rich Jordan <jordan@ccs4vms.com> wrote
in news:1185396823.058113.41750@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

> James,
>      the email address for you that shows up in google groups is
> invalid.  Send me an email please; I have a small memory kit you can
> have.

Sent!

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.
0
semaj (77)

DFS: Sorry your HW Only Works With One OS
Guess you're stuck with Windows, then. Hahahahah! *R* *H* -- Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12 "No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2 http://www.jamendo.com |/Mutt 1.5.21 slrn 0.9.9p1 Irssi 0.8.15 "Preach the gospel always; when necessary use words." St. Francis ...

Palm OS or microsoft?
Is it possible to replace PALM OS by Microsoft OS? I understand that you need Flash Rom for that, but I wonder is these OS-s can replace eachother. Regards, Alpha I believe Palm OS runs only on Dragonball CPUs and _no_ version of Windows runs on Dragonball. On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:05:18 +0200, "Fons van Loy" <a.van.loy@quicknet.nl> wrote: >Is it possible to replace PALM OS by Microsoft OS? I understand that you >need Flash Rom for that, but I wonder is these OS-s can replace eachother. > >Regards, > >Alpha > > --------------...

[News] Palm Should Bring Its Linux-based OS to Large Devices

RE: VMS runs well on HP Superdome #3
< -----Original Message----- < From: Fred Kleinsorge [mailto:my-last-name@stardotzko.dec.com] < Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 8:08 AM < To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com < Subject: Re: VMS runs well on HP Superdome < < < < "David J. Dachtera" <djesys.nospam@NeOaSrPtAhMlNiOnWk.net> wrote < in message < news:3FFB7ACA.34800557@NeOaSrPtAhMlNiOnWk.net... < > Fred Kleinsorge wrote: < > > [snip] < > > We're all one big happy family. We will run on the same hardware, and < use < > > the same firmware. The HW and F...

Re: DEC 2000 AXP fails system power up test #2
> Well, the only VT device I have is a VT420 with an MMJ cable. Anyone > know where I can get an MMJ to DB9 converter? You can get the pinouts at: http://www.stanq.com/cable.html --Stan Quayle Quayle Consulting Inc. ---------- Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX 8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH 43147 USA stan-at-stanq-dot-com http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html "OpenVMS, when downtime is not an option" ...

OS X
I'll admit I know SFA about Macs and OS X so I decided to educate myself and went out a bought an iMac today. Fired it up and it's lovely. Decided to do some updates and was quite surprised that it asked me to restart. I thought they didn't do that, uptime is everything? On 1/31/14, 9:02 AM, in article lcghee$sq7$2@deskrabbit.motzarella.org, "Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote: > I'll admit I know SFA about Macs and OS X so I decided to educate myself > and went out a bought an iMac today. > > Fired it up and it's lovely. Deci...

Mail and OS 10.3 part 2
OK, I looked up the error. Thanks for the the info on how to find. Here is what it said: 2003-12-29 23:26:19.653 Mail[439] Unable to load nib file: MailViewer, exiting 2003-12-29 23:26:22.671 Mail[440] Unable to load nib file: MailViewer, exiting Other than it telling me the obvious, does this indicate what the issue was? Thank you. In article <nahh-31071C.19085630122003@netnews.attbi.com>, "," <nahh@nospam.net> wrote: > OK, I looked up the error. Thanks for the the info on how to find. > Here is what it said: > > 2003-12-29 23:26:19.653 Mail...

OS compatibility
Hi, I'm having trouble launching version of Matlab 14 SP3. It used to work on my MAC G5 with 10.4.9 I have upgraded to 10.5.2 Is this the issue keeping from me starting Matlab? Also I am trying to bring on board a new iMac Intel with 10.5.2. Will the Matlab 14 SP3 work with this OS on an Intel Mac? Many thanks, Brenda http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/release14sp3/macintosh.html "Brenda " <brenda.davison@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:fvnsrs$guu$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, > > I'm having trouble launching version of Matlab 14 S...

A couple of questions about Laptop and OS/2
Hi, I barely used a laptop, so I have a couple of questions. I got an old Compaq LTE ELITE 4/75CXL laptop. At the beginning of the hard drive it contains a hidden primary partition (type 0x12) which contained all the Compaq diagnosis and CMOS utilites. It does not contain a CD-ROM. It comes with a docking station, that can take additional devices, it has an additional FDC and IDE interface as well as SCSI. I bought an SCSI cd-rom and installed it into the docking station so that I could install OS/2 from CD. The docking station also contains an ethernet card, however the laptop i...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

stored proc runs with error after reboot.
I wrote a medium length stored proc that uses both temp tables and one cursor. I compiled and it ran fine. However, we reboot our machine every weekend, and on Mondays the stored proc gets the following errors : Infinite loops on cursors (can't fetch the next record. Gets stuck on one record) AND this message : DBMS message: state 2. Error Code 107. The column prefix '' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query. DBMS reported a severity level 16 error. Once you go back into the proc and save it, it runs fine the rest of the week until the next reboo...

Screen Artifacts on OS 9.2??
Does anyone know why my 604-->G3 running OS 9.2.2 has suddenly developed screen artifacts? The screen looks sort of dirty at times. Gray spots, often arranged irregularly in vertical columns. Everything still works, everything is still useable and readable, but it's ugly, annoying and worrisome. It comes and goes. Right now the only place I can see it is at the far left edge of the field inside the "Connections" window for Eudora. Oh, yeah, and along the verticals of the first couple of letters in the field. Restarting the machine doesn't solve the problem. The usua...

US-TX-Austin: Java Programmer, J2EE, Websphere Studio 5.0, SQL, DB2 OS/390; 6M (45301057609)
US-TX-Austin: Java Programmer, J2EE, Websphere Studio 5.0, SQL, DB2 OS/390; 6M (45301057609) ============================================================================================= Position: Java Programmer Reference: SMC01411 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6M Skills: 4+yrs working experience programming in Java. 2+yrs working experience developing J2EE-compliant applications 2+yrs working experience with WebSphere Studio Application Developer 5.0 2+yrs working experience with SQL stored procedures...

VideoStudio 8, full version w/Cool3d 3.0
Can be used to upgrade to MSP8. Terrific price, $24+$5 for shipping. Go to Ebay, search for item number 5875356806. ...

[News] [Linux] New Version of Wine Released, New Screenshots of the Latest Mint Linux, Dreamlinux
Release 0.9.37 of Wine ,----[ Quote ] | What's new in this release: | - MSI automation with JScript/VBScript support. | - Various MSHTML improvements. | - The usual assortment of Direct3D fixes. | - Support for a few more exe protection schemes. | - Lots of bug fixes. `---- http://www.winehq.org/?announce=latest Mint 3.0 Beta 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | This is the first beta release of Cassandra. The system is stable | but some work is ongoing in 'mintinstall', 'mintmenu' and in the artwork. `---- http://osdir.com/Article9839.phtml Dreamlinux 2.2 RC...

doubt in matlab version in dec2bin() command
hai matlab experts , this is a line of code in my matlab program reqBinData = dec2bin(newImg2); when i am run this snippet in matlab 7.6.0 R2008a , it does not give any error. but when i run it in matlab 7.8.0.347 R2009a it gives the following error: ??? Operands to the || and && operators must be convertible to logical scalar values. Error in ==> dec2bin at 31 if any(d < 0) || any(~isfinite(d)) reqBinData = dec2bin(newImg2); Error in ==> sampic2abb at 122 what is the reason; newImg2 is a double variable; even i type casted that in to uint8 data ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

[ADMIN] comp.os.linux.announce report for Mon Jun 21 00:05:02 CDT 2004
Subject: comp.os.linux.announce report for Mon Jun 21 00:05:02 CDT 2004 Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce Date: Mon Jun 21 00:05:02 CDT 2004 This is an automated report about activity of our newsgroup comp.os.linux.announce. It covers period between the previous report and the current one, ending on Mon Jun 21 00:05:02 CDT 2004. Note that we do not report the number of articles cancelled after they got approved, because the cancellations are done manually. Typically messages get cancelled by requests of posters themselves. Lastly, the statistics below are skewed towards hig...

US-TX-Austin,TX.: Storage/server test tech, W2K/Netware,Linux,RAID,OS; 9M (45352332406)
US-TX-Austin,TX.: Storage/server test tech, W2K/Netware,Linux,RAID,OS; 9M (45352332406) ======================================================================================= Position: Storage/server test tech Reference: ZYD00044 Location: Austin TX Duration: 9M Skills: Experience in server, storage, and network technologies. Experience with installation/configuration of server OS`s such as W2K/W2K3/Netware/ Linux, RAID, and basic understanding of server hardware are required. OS expertise required. ...

[REPOST] Shootout at the OS corrall
I first posted this on Jan. 7th, 2003. I thought I'd repost cause I like it, typos and all. Shootout at the OS Corall The dusty road had looked deserted for a time, but sometimes a glint could be seen through a swinging shutter betraying the hiding spectators. The sound of spurs hitting hard packed dirt came slowly through the whistling breeze. The morning haze was burning off, and Billy (There Can Be Only One) Gates thin figure could be seen approaching the center of town. His gaunt fram supported a leather longcoat which ocassionally swung open enough to reveal two shining revo...

os x problem
Hi, My omniwriter 26 SCSI, doesn't work anymore on my mac G4 after I installed OS X. Do i need a driver for it, or do i need one for my scsi card? Thanks On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:56:56 GMT, "Vincent Lievens" <vincent.lievens@pandora.be> wrote: >Hi, > >My omniwriter 26 SCSI, doesn't work anymore on my mac G4 after I installed >OS X. Do i need a driver for it, or do i need one for my scsi card? > >Thanks > > Contact the omniwriter people ... maybe they just don;'t support OSX (which has a VERY different SCSI engine, so I wouldn't be su...

[UTD] MacAranym -- ATARI / Mac OS X
Hi, The ATARI Virtual Machine i.e. *ARAnyM* was updated in its 0.9.5beta version. The Mac OS X build called MacAranym is available /Universal Binary/ for Intel _and_ PPC computers. Release in dedicated place <http://eureka.atari.org/MacAranym.zip> or at the source of its GNU/GPL development <http://aranym.org/> Best ATARIan regards, --=20 Fran=E7ois LE COAT Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller) <http://eureka.atari.org/> <http://fon.gs/eureka/> PS : /Beware, cross-posted message/ ...

FAQ 8.37 How do I find out if I'm running interactively or not? #2 553578
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 8.37: How do I find out if I'm running interactively or not? Good question. Sometimes "-t STDIN" and "-t STDOUT" can give clues, sometimes not. if (-t STDIN && -t STDOUT) { ...

read/write Exsel file under Mac OS
Dear MatLab users, I have a common problem. I am using MatLab 2009a under Mac OS X v10.5. Leopard. Until now I was using Matlab under Windows and I did not have any problem with the I/O functions xlsread/xlswrite. The problem arise now in Mac. I know that windows uses a COM server for communication between Excel and MatLab. How should I proceed now in Mac? I have an Excel file with both text and number values in it. I can not save it as an .csv file and use csvread, because it support only text or only numbers? Any Ideas? Thank you in advance! g. On 14 Okt, 09:50, "go9kata Tushev"...

All physical memory not recognized by OS
I have Win2003 server installed on a Proliant DL 380 4th generation box with 4 GB RAM. Win only shows that it has 2 GB available. I know of the 512 MB of RAM set aside on DL 380 systems with the Intel 5720 chipset for use with PCI-related functions, but why does Win2003 see half of my total physical RAM? pjaglowski@gmail.com <pjaglowski@gmail.com> wrote: > I have Win2003 server installed on a Proliant DL 380 4th generation > box with 4 GB RAM. Win only shows that it has 2 GB available. I > know of the 512 MB of RAM set aside on DL 380 systems with the Intel > 5720 chips...