X server access from VMS

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

let's continue the story.

I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
started Xming, and I get :

DTL> Moz
Starting MOZILLA-BIN
Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
Xlib: no protocol specified

But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...

Help.
Tx.
0
Reply DTL 11/18/2009 4:52:55 PM

See related articles to this posting

Start xming via xlaunch and specify 'no access control'.

Jur.

DTL wrote, On 18-11-2009 17:52:
> let's continue the story.
>
> I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
> I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
> I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
> started Xming, and I get :
>
> DTL>  Moz
> Starting MOZILLA-BIN
> Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
> Xlib: no protocol specified
>
> But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...
>
> Help.
> Tx.
0
Reply Jur 11/19/2009 7:39:04 AM

DTL wrote:
> let's continue the story.
>
> I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
> I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
> I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
> started Xming, and I get :
>
> DTL> Moz
> Starting MOZILLA-BIN
> Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Make sure that Xming allows incoming display requests from your
VMS-machine. For security reasons X-servers do not allow this by default.

> Xlib: no protocol specified
>
> But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...
>
> Help.
> Tx.
            Jouk
0
Reply Jouk 11/19/2009 7:54:29 AM

On 19 nov, 08:39, Jur van der Burg <"lddriver at digiater dot nl">
wrote:
> Start xming via xlaunch and specify 'no access control'.

Fantastic !
That was it.

Many thanks.
Ten points :-)

Cheers.
0
Reply DTL 11/19/2009 9:18:09 AM

CSWB / VMS Alpha / Personal Alpha Emulator / PC Winsh*t XPP SP3 UP AND
RUNNING !
:-)

Thanks to all.
0
Reply DTL 11/20/2009 2:22:26 PM
comp.os.vms 20709 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Accessing an OS X server
Is there any way I can mount an OS X server volume on my Palm TX? Fa In article <1139790052_21@pnews.internode.on.net>, Fa la la <cat@meow.com> wrote: > Is there any way I can mount an OS X server volume on my Palm TX? > > Fa Get SMBMate (Google for it). Enable Windows Sharing on your MacOSX System. Bob Harris On 2006-02-13 14:14:06 +1100, Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> said: > Get SMBMate (Google for it). > > Enable Windows Sharing on your MacOSX System. I presume I can then mount a ...

X server is not accessible when installing app?
I'm trying to install a certain application. My normal user account is not privileged enough for the install so I decided to run it as root. However when I do that I get: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified. What does this mean? When I run it as my normal user account it gets further along in the installation process (all the way to the point where it tries to copy a file and realizes it doesn't have access). Is there some caveat to connecting to an X11 server as a user other than the one who is physically sitting at the monitor? On...

Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server
When the X server is "running low on memory" (eg: PGFILQUOTA running below a certain threshold), it should pop up an alert telling the user that the X server is running low on memory (with perhaps an identification of which process/window has made the request that cause the X server to go below the threashold). AKA: When mozilla goes nuts because it is trying to display some huge blog page filled with images, the X server should warn the user before Mozilla becomes unresponsive and not only he STOP button no longer works, but neither does the window manager's "close w...

Disabling X server access control
I used to disable the access control of the X server with 'xhost +' so that I can easily connect as root. What possibilities does this provide to other people? If they can connect, can they see my desktop or grap my keyboard? Thanks Thorsten On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:21:59 +0100, Thorsten K�fer wrote: > I used to disable the access control of the X server with 'xhost +' so that > I can easily connect as root. Better to use XAUTHORITY (and/or forwanding over SSH.) > What possibilities does this provide to other people? Lots ... > If they ca...

While I have managed to get VMS to pop X applications on the mac, there are a few glitches. Has anyone worked through such glitches ? Would appreciate any hints on to fix them, where to put x resource files on the mac etc. Is it correct to state that on the mac, X fonts are synthetised from the MAC's real fonts, or is tere still a conventioanl X font directory and aliases file ? For instance, X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-* -ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Can I just use Fontographer to convert the Menu font from VMS into a fora...

NFS server software on a PC for access from VMS
I've been trying to get access set up from VMS via NFS to an NTFS disk on a PC running Windows NT4. The job has been passed around several computer support people and now the verdict is that Omni NFS Server is never likely to work for access from VMS. Can anyone suggest any PC NFS software that is known to work OK for access from VMS? Does anyone use Omni NFS server software on a PC successfully with access from VMS? The motive for using NFS to a PC is purely cheap storage space, the ability to drop a huge disk into a PC and then apply NTFS compression to all the files is very tempting. ...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca]=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 6:13 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 > Michael Kraemer wrote: > > A message "hey, I'm going to crash right now" isn't really helpful > > if there are no means left to circumvent it. > > Moreover, any additional window might suck the last resources left. >=20 > It doesn't crash (usually). The Mozilla windows just become=20 > unresponsive because=20 > it c...

Re: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #2
From: JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> > Mozilla consumes enourmous resources on the X server. I have a 550,000 block > pgflquota for the x server and it often isn't enough to display a single page > laden with images. ALP $ search decw$private_server_setup.com decw$server_page_file $ decw$server_page_file == "1572864" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "960000" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "600000" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "370000" I may be slow, but I can take a hint. ------------------------------------------------...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #3
Oops, typo in the attached .. "AM runs on OpenVMS or Windows client. Client driver runs at high IPL so that it can fix things" Should have read- "AM runs on OpenVMS or Windows client. Server driver runs at high IPL so that it can fix things" > -----Original Message----- > From: Main, Kerry=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 9:27 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 >=20 > > -----Original Message----- > > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca]=20 > > Sent: March 18, 2007 ...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Main, Kerry=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 9:27 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 >=20 [snip ...] > > The problem is that when you do a google search, you don't=20 > > know if a page will=20 > > end up jamming the x server or not before you load it. And=20 > > once the x server=20 > > gets close to its limits, you can't stop the loading anymore. > >=20 >=20 >=20 > Have you tried Availability Manager (AM) as a means of troubleshoo...

Check Apple's X server versus VMS
http://www.apple.com/ca/server/macosx/ Look at all the stuff that comes with Apple's server version of Max-OS X (the new one coming out today). $599 canadian for 10 users. $1200 for unlimited licence. Even if those prices were in USD, it would still put VMS in the "extremely expensive" category. And of course, Apple has a desktop version of the OS that is cheap to upgrade. MACOS comes with the Postfix SMTP server which is far more sophisticated than the TCPIP Services vaniall SMTP server. While VMS engineers are stuck working on a port to an unwanted platform, Apple manag...

Create Access Database in Matlab using active x server
I have been using the following commands to use an existing Microsoft Access database: fn = 'test.accdb'; svr = actxserver('access.application'); adb = svr.DbEngine.OpenDatabase(fname); This works great. How do I create a new database? I have tried the following: svr.Application.DBEngine.CreateDatabase('test2.accdb') I get the following error: No method 'CreateDatabase' with matching signature found for class 'Interface.Microsoft_DAO_3.6_Object_Library._DBEngine'. Any ideas? You want to use m-code to CREATE a new database? Hummmm, not s...

??== Access iCal from a 2nd MacOS X w/o web server.
Is it possible to access the iCal data from a second Mac OS X directly without a web server or .Mac? I logged into the secretary's Mac OS X using AppleTalk, started iCal on her Mac, but was unable to access her calendar. My objective is to allow the boss to at least view his secretary's calendar from his Mac. ...

Re: Check Apple's X server versus VMS
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:27:45 -0400, "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote: > Not having looked at the pricing in a while, where is an unlimited > > user license priced at for an Alphaserver? It should be the same > > price as for Integrity. The licensing model for Integrity is completely different. With Integrity, the number of users doesn't matter. You can have an infinite number of users (as long as they don't expect to *do* anything). The Integrity licensing scheme is based on the number of processors and on the type of "operating enviro...

Mail access (DNS): how to Intranet
I finally got around to setting up my own Server (Mac OS X) for Mail and Web. Now the only problem currently left is that I can easily access my Mail account using Apple Mail when on the "outside", ie from the internet (either by being at another location, or using VPN to my University. Now if I am at home, the server has another address (instead of a global my private one - the server is behind a router that has NAT and a firewall). How do I get the private address when I am at home - either setting up Mail differently or probably preferrably some kind of DNS serving just the...

Mac OS X kerberos : kerberized SMB, but no access to AD Server (W2K3)
Hi, I am having a problem accessing my W2K3 server in a SSO environment, consisting of a Mac OS X 10.3.6 Server and two W2K3 Servers. SSO wise, everything is supposedly setup correctly; my smb.conf has been edited to contain the following lines required for SSO: Security = ads Encrypt password = yes //samba default Workgroup = FOO Realm = FOO.BAR.COM Use spnego = yes Client use spnego = yes Domain logons = yes Client use ntlmv2 auth = yes ....and evrything works like a charm on the Windows side of the fence.... The majority of out clients run Mac OS X, however, and from these machines I ca...

eCS 1.2R access to OS X 10.5.8 samba server
_____ Hello All eCS Users, Problem/Challenge: 1) I am running eCS 1.2R, and i have peer/peer and IBM LANMAN installed as per default. I log onto the local workstation with user name and password. This gives me access to an OpenBSD server running a SAMBA package (Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.12]). There is NO PROBLEM at all accessing this SAMBA server via the workplace shell. Copying and moving files works perfectly. 2) I recently acquired an older Apple PowerMac G4, and installed OS X 10.5, now at the most recent release 10.5.8. I run it as a file server for other...

Do you need an X server on an headless server to run X apps over ssh (X forwarding) ?
Is there a way to open an ssh connection to an headless sun server, and have an x application from the sun server, display on my PC ? I would tend to think that it is possible, but for now, it is not working. I have cygwin X server on my PC. I use putty or secureCRT to connect to my headless server and I checked the forward X option. The X forwardinf is also ON in the ssh_config file. I assume that the DISPLAY variable in the ssh-server should be: mp_pc_ip:0 ? It does not work. Right now, the DISPLAY variable is set to localhost:10 (That is, it assumes the X server is running on the solar...

[News] Linux Gains Better X Server Than X Server

converting access aplication to access-sql server client-server aplication
Hello!! I have a problem with moving tables from access to sql server with wizard. after setting odbc connection there is an error: overflow. Does anybody know what can couse this problem ???? Thanks in advance, slawko. ...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

[...]

Kernel based X server gives a 2X performance over kdrive X server
Hello Developers, We have a port of MicroXwin (http://www.microxwin.com), our X11 compatible graphics to the OMAP1710. X11perf benchmarks shows 2X performance gains You can download report at http://www.microxwin.com/OMAP1710benchmark.doc. All code to run x11perf on Nokia 770 is also available. Regards Vasant ...