X server access from VMS

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

let's continue the story.

I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
started Xming, and I get :

DTL> Moz
Starting MOZILLA-BIN
Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
Xlib: no protocol specified

But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...

Help.
Tx.
0
Reply DTL 11/18/2009 4:52:55 PM

See related articles to this posting

Start xming via xlaunch and specify 'no access control'.

Jur.

DTL wrote, On 18-11-2009 17:52:
> let's continue the story.
>
> I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
> I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
> I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
> started Xming, and I get :
>
> DTL>  Moz
> Starting MOZILLA-BIN
> Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
> Xlib: no protocol specified
>
> But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...
>
> Help.
> Tx.
0
Reply Jur 11/19/2009 7:39:04 AM

DTL wrote:
> let's continue the story.
>
> I have VMS 8.3 running on my PC via the Personal Alpha emulator
> I have installed Xming on the PC as an X server
> I did a $ set displ/create/transp=tcpip/node=blablabla on the Alpha, I
> started Xming, and I get :
>
> DTL> Moz
> Starting MOZILLA-BIN
> Xlib: connexion to "_WSA1:" refused by server
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Make sure that Xming allows incoming display requests from your
VMS-machine. For security reasons X-servers do not allow this by default.

> Xlib: no protocol specified
>
> But I do not have a SET DISPLAY/PROTOCOL...
>
> Help.
> Tx.
            Jouk
0
Reply Jouk 11/19/2009 7:54:29 AM

On 19 nov, 08:39, Jur van der Burg <"lddriver at digiater dot nl">
wrote:
> Start xming via xlaunch and specify 'no access control'.

Fantastic !
That was it.

Many thanks.
Ten points :-)

Cheers.
0
Reply DTL 11/19/2009 9:18:09 AM

CSWB / VMS Alpha / Personal Alpha Emulator / PC Winsh*t XPP SP3 UP AND
RUNNING !
:-)

Thanks to all.
0
Reply DTL 11/20/2009 2:22:26 PM
comp.os.vms 20946 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Do you need an X server on an headless server to run X apps over ssh (X forwarding) ?
Is there a way to open an ssh connection to an headless sun server, and have an x application from the sun server, display on my PC ? I would tend to think that it is possible, but for now, it is not working. I have cygwin X server on my PC. I use putty or secureCRT to connect to my headless server and I checked the forward X option. The X forwardinf is also ON in the ssh_config file. I assume that the DISPLAY variable in the ssh-server should be: mp_pc_ip:0 ? It does not work. Right now, the DISPLAY variable is set to localhost:10 (That is, it assumes the X server is running on the solar...

[News] Linux Gains Better X Server Than X Server

Accessing an OS X server
Is there any way I can mount an OS X server volume on my Palm TX? Fa In article <1139790052_21@pnews.internode.on.net>, Fa la la <cat@meow.com> wrote: > Is there any way I can mount an OS X server volume on my Palm TX? > > Fa Get SMBMate (Google for it). Enable Windows Sharing on your MacOSX System. Bob Harris On 2006-02-13 14:14:06 +1100, Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob@remove.Smith-Harris.us> said: > Get SMBMate (Google for it). > > Enable Windows Sharing on your MacOSX System. I presume I can then mount a ...

converting access aplication to access-sql server client-server aplication
Hello!! I have a problem with moving tables from access to sql server with wizard. after setting odbc connection there is an error: overflow. Does anybody know what can couse this problem ???? Thanks in advance, slawko. ...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

[...]

X server is not accessible when installing app?
I'm trying to install a certain application. My normal user account is not privileged enough for the install so I decided to run it as root. However when I do that I get: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified. What does this mean? When I run it as my normal user account it gets further along in the installation process (all the way to the point where it tries to copy a file and realizes it doesn't have access). Is there some caveat to connecting to an X11 server as a user other than the one who is physically sitting at the monitor? On...

Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server
When the X server is "running low on memory" (eg: PGFILQUOTA running below a certain threshold), it should pop up an alert telling the user that the X server is running low on memory (with perhaps an identification of which process/window has made the request that cause the X server to go below the threashold). AKA: When mozilla goes nuts because it is trying to display some huge blog page filled with images, the X server should warn the user before Mozilla becomes unresponsive and not only he STOP button no longer works, but neither does the window manager's "close w...

Disabling X server access control
I used to disable the access control of the X server with 'xhost +' so that I can easily connect as root. What possibilities does this provide to other people? If they can connect, can they see my desktop or grap my keyboard? Thanks Thorsten On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:21:59 +0100, Thorsten K�fer wrote: > I used to disable the access control of the X server with 'xhost +' so that > I can easily connect as root. Better to use XAUTHORITY (and/or forwanding over SSH.) > What possibilities does this provide to other people? Lots ... > If they ca...

Kernel based X server gives a 2X performance over kdrive X server
Hello Developers, We have a port of MicroXwin (http://www.microxwin.com), our X11 compatible graphics to the OMAP1710. X11perf benchmarks shows 2X performance gains You can download report at http://www.microxwin.com/OMAP1710benchmark.doc. All code to run x11perf on Nokia 770 is also available. Regards Vasant ...

While I have managed to get VMS to pop X applications on the mac, there are a few glitches. Has anyone worked through such glitches ? Would appreciate any hints on to fix them, where to put x resource files on the mac etc. Is it correct to state that on the mac, X fonts are synthetised from the MAC's real fonts, or is tere still a conventioanl X font directory and aliases file ? For instance, X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-* -ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct Can I just use Fontographer to convert the Menu font from VMS into a fora...

NFS server software on a PC for access from VMS
I've been trying to get access set up from VMS via NFS to an NTFS disk on a PC running Windows NT4. The job has been passed around several computer support people and now the verdict is that Omni NFS Server is never likely to work for access from VMS. Can anyone suggest any PC NFS software that is known to work OK for access from VMS? Does anyone use Omni NFS server software on a PC successfully with access from VMS? The motive for using NFS to a PC is purely cheap storage space, the ability to drop a huge disk into a PC and then apply NTFS compression to all the files is very tempting. ...

X server X window
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with. You know solaris have this x windows/server which allows the users to log on remotely and on the console itself. 1st question: * How to you limit/restrict the x windows/server to the console only e.g. no remote ? 2nd question: * is the password for transmitted in the clear if you log on to the x windows/server remotely ? Thanks. ...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca]=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 6:13 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 > Michael Kraemer wrote: > > A message "hey, I'm going to crash right now" isn't really helpful > > if there are no means left to circumvent it. > > Moreover, any additional window might suck the last resources left. >=20 > It doesn't crash (usually). The Mozilla windows just become=20 > unresponsive because=20 > it c...

X server and X client
I would like to know more about how the X server and X client work together. I dont' really get the concept the client request to draw a window so he sends that request to the server , the server draws the window for you and then ... or do I get this all wrong an url would be more then welcome that talks about this ... Regards On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:40:27 +0000 (UTC), Ken Lee staggered into the Black Sun and said: > "Geiregat Jonas" <eniac@sdf-eu.org> wrote in > news:pan.2003.08.16.17.00.11.710605@sdf-eu.org: >> I would like to know more about how th...

Query X.509 Certificates from 5.x, 6.x Server
Background: My .Net application runs on a dedicated Windows server and needs to query a Notes 5.x or 6.x server for a Notes user's X.509 certificate. The only information given to the app will be a user's e-mail address and any required credentials to access the Notes server. Some questions: Does Notes 5.x or 6.x support LDAP queries of a Notes user's X.509 certificate? Can it retrieve the user's public key and the private key? Are there any .Net examples of this? Thanks, Jim ...

Re: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #2
From: JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> > Mozilla consumes enourmous resources on the X server. I have a 550,000 block > pgflquota for the x server and it often isn't enough to display a single page > laden with images. ALP $ search decw$private_server_setup.com decw$server_page_file $ decw$server_page_file == "1572864" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "960000" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "600000" $!!! decw$server_page_file == "370000" I may be slow, but I can take a hint. ------------------------------------------------...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #3
Oops, typo in the attached .. "AM runs on OpenVMS or Windows client. Client driver runs at high IPL so that it can fix things" Should have read- "AM runs on OpenVMS or Windows client. Server driver runs at high IPL so that it can fix things" > -----Original Message----- > From: Main, Kerry=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 9:27 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 >=20 > > -----Original Message----- > > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca]=20 > > Sent: March 18, 2007 ...

RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Main, Kerry=20 > Sent: March 18, 2007 9:27 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Suggestion for the VMS X-windows server >=20 >=20 [snip ...] > > The problem is that when you do a google search, you don't=20 > > know if a page will=20 > > end up jamming the x server or not before you load it. And=20 > > once the x server=20 > > gets close to its limits, you can't stop the loading anymore. > >=20 >=20 >=20 > Have you tried Availability Manager (AM) as a means of troubleshoo...

Accessing 10.x.x.x LAN from home network behind a router
Hello, I recently bought a Linksys WRT54G Broadband Router, and ever since, I've been unable to connect to the computers in our campus' 10.x.x.x network. The current situation is this: - The WRT54G gets a public IP address (82.128.x.x) from the Campus network from DHCP (PPPoE) - I'm using the private 192.168.1.x network in my local home network (wireless and wired), computers get their (local) IP addresses from the WRT54G by DHCP Routing table entry list is as follows: Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface --------------------------------------------...

Check Apple's X server versus VMS
http://www.apple.com/ca/server/macosx/ Look at all the stuff that comes with Apple's server version of Max-OS X (the new one coming out today). $599 canadian for 10 users. $1200 for unlimited licence. Even if those prices were in USD, it would still put VMS in the "extremely expensive" category. And of course, Apple has a desktop version of the OS that is cheap to upgrade. MACOS comes with the Postfix SMTP server which is far more sophisticated than the TCPIP Services vaniall SMTP server. While VMS engineers are stuck working on a port to an unwanted platform, Apple manag...

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

Create Access Database in Matlab using active x server
I have been using the following commands to use an existing Microsoft Access database: fn = 'test.accdb'; svr = actxserver('access.application'); adb = svr.DbEngine.OpenDatabase(fname); This works great. How do I create a new database? I have tried the following: svr.Application.DBEngine.CreateDatabase('test2.accdb') I get the following error: No method 'CreateDatabase' with matching signature found for class 'Interface.Microsoft_DAO_3.6_Object_Library._DBEngine'. Any ideas? You want to use m-code to CREATE a new database? Hummmm, not s...