Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack from Vxworks 6.7

Hi ,
       Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack from
Vxworks 6.7. I am trying to evaluate Vxworks 6.7 (ipcom/ipnet/iptcp)
network stack with Vxworks 5.5. But I am facing lot of compilation
issues in  .../ipnet/ipcom/port/vxworks/src/ipcom_drv_eth.c

Is there any performance difference between 6.5 and 6.7 network stack?

Thanks in advance,
Praveen.
0
gcpraveen (2)
11/12/2009 7:39:05 AM
comp.os.vxworks 5962 articles. 3 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

On Nov 12, 12:39=A0pm, Praveen <gcprav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack=
 from
> Vxworks 6.7. I am trying to evaluate Vxworks 6.7 (ipcom/ipnet/iptcp)
> network stack with Vxworks 5.5. But I am facing lot of compilation
> issues in =A0.../ipnet/ipcom/port/vxworks/src/ipcom_drv_eth.c
>
> Is there any performance difference between 6.5 and 6.7 network stack?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Praveen.

Hi Praveen,

Look at my other message which I added on zBuf usage in 6.5.

Look for message with heading IPNET. Bill has given excellent
information about VxWorks journey from it's own BSD based stack to the
IPNET current state.

To answer straight to you question,
Performance numbers will be better in 6.7 if we use the IPNET ethernet
drivers. END drivers will not have any difference.
If you use zBuf you will get better performance for UDP traffic but
for TCP there will not be any improvement as 6.7 has not implemented
the zero copy for TCP.

I am not sure why you want to couple 5.5 with 6.7.
The performance are best in 6.3 for TCP as you have the zbuf "zero
copy" implemented in it.

I have used the netperf tests to do my performance testing.
Go through the messages of bill on buf overflow etc.. He has given
good information about the performance measurement in VxWorks.

Hope this helps,
Vidhumouli
0
kittu
11/19/2009 1:40:20 PM
On Nov 19, 6:40=A0pm, kittu <vidhumo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 12:39=A0pm, Praveen <gcprav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi ,
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network sta=
ck from
> > Vxworks 6.7. I am trying to evaluate Vxworks 6.7 (ipcom/ipnet/iptcp)
> > network stack with Vxworks 5.5. But I am facing lot of compilation
> > issues in =A0.../ipnet/ipcom/port/vxworks/src/ipcom_drv_eth.c
>
> > Is there any performance difference between 6.5 and 6.7 network stack?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Praveen.
>
> Hi Praveen,
>
> Look at my other message which I added on zBuf usage in 6.5.
>
> Look for message with heading IPNET. Bill has given excellent
> information about VxWorks journey from it's own BSD based stack to the
> IPNET current state.
>
> To answer straight to you question,
> Performance numbers will be better in 6.7 if we use the IPNET ethernet
> drivers. END drivers will not have any difference.
> If you use zBuf you will get better performance for UDP traffic but
> for TCP there will not be any improvement as 6.7 has not implemented
> the zero copy for TCP.
>
> I am not sure why you want to couple 5.5 with 6.7.
> The performance are best in 6.3 for TCP as you have the zbuf "zero
> copy" implemented in it.
>
> I have used the netperf tests to do my performance testing.
> Go through the messages of bill on buf overflow etc.. He has given
> good information about the performance measurement in VxWorks.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Vidhumouli

Hi Vidhumouli,
            In our project, we are not planning to change the base OS
(Vxworks 5.5), we are just planning to take network stack. Thats the
reason, why I am evaluating Vxworks 5.5 OS and Vxworks 6.7 network
stack.

I am not able to compile it successfully (with Vxworks OS 5.5 and
IPNET-IPCOM-IPTCP code from 6.7 combination). I am getting lot of
errors in ipcom_drv_eth. Did you faced these kind of issues? or is
there any documentation that I have to read to overcome all this?

Thanks,
Praveen.
0
Praveen