Phyless MAC to MAC connection

I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270
with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we
are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can
anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen.
From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there
is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out
there.

Has anyone implemented this before?

Thanks,
- Manish M

comp.os.vxworks 5962 articles. 3 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

Trojan wrote:

> I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270
> with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we
> are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can
> anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen.
> From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there
> is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out
> there.
>
> Has anyone implemented this before?

A description of MAC to MAC interfacing which might be of help:
http://assets.zarlink.com/AN/ZLAN_30_AppNote_Mar05.pdf
In fact we are using ZL50409 for this project too and I am clear about what
to configure on the ZL50409 for MAC-to-MAC connection. The hardware pins are
connected on the layout as required.
However, the main question is how to use VxWorks End Drivers and MII Drivers
so that it can be fooled to not care about talking to a PHY device (which is
the default).
Please elaborate on VxWorks End Driver and using FCC as Phyless MAC-to-MAC
connection.

Thanks,
- Manish M

"Erik Hammerstad" <egeha.is.all.you.need@start.no> wrote in message
> Trojan wrote:
>
>> I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270
>> with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270
>> we are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project.
>> Can anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this
>> happen. From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is
>> initialized there is no initialization string which can indicate that
>> there is no PHY out there.
>>
>> Has anyone implemented this before?
>>
> A description of MAC to MAC interfacing which might be of help:
> http://assets.zarlink.com/AN/ZLAN_30_AppNote_Mar05.pdf

The phy driver is needed to get teh link/speed state of teh line. You
could possible write  phy device functions that return link as always
being up and a speed value that is expected by the MAC

-Ram