Polling an GT64260 Ethernet Device

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am looking for some ideas on polling an Ethernet Device under VxWorks
5.4.  I currently have a task that is implementing polling the GT64260
Ethernet Device by calling a deriviate of the ISR version of the
interrupt receive and the END poll receive routine.  I am ultimately
trying to interact with the END driver to poll the packets from the
Ethernet device so that they get moved up to the MUX so that the
registered network protocols bound to the MUX receive the packets.  I
can not use interrupts for this processing.  Any examples in this area
would be appreciated even if they are not for the GT64260 Ethernet
device.

0
Reply rsdavis (5) 6/26/2006 1:57:19 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.vxworks 5904 articles. 6 followers. Post

Ethernet Polling vs Broadcasting on an Embedded device
Hello guys, I have asked to design a test system for an Ethernet enabled weather station. At this point, these weather stations are nothing but 2 PCs running Linux on it and they constantly read weather related information through some sensors. Eventually they will be replaced with a miniature embedded Linux device (yet to be designed!). I have worked extensively with 1/2 duplex RS485 networks where we poll a device and then send an acknowledgment to the device. I am not too sure what is the best way to handle an Ethernet enabled devices. The hardware engineers have agreed to change the Firm...

Ethernet Device
I'm considering what kind of project I'd like to do for my next year in college. I have an idea for creating a network host device that will work on an Ethernet LAN. Obviously, my device would need some sort of Network Interface Card in it. Thinking about it for about 10 seconds tho, I realised that it might be a *very* complicated job to create a Network Interface Card, considering things like having to implement Carrier Sense Multi- Access/Collission Detection. Not that I'm one to shy away from a big job, but I plan on having this project done within a year :-P ...

Ethernet I/O device
I hadn't noticed this before. http://www.winfordeng.com/products/eth32.php It's a bit pricey but might come in handy for the solder-challenged. ...

Ethernet echo device
Hello! I'm an administrator of rather distributed network and I would like to have opportunity to ping last-to-client device to see if the link is up and the fault is at client's computer or cable. I would like to ask, if there's something like 'ethernet echo dongle' - a small device to be plugged into Eth equipment (hub, switch, whatever) and being able to be pinged from network. I know I may plug for example a dummy D-link router (~100$ at my place) but perhaps there's something smaller and cheaper. Best regards, Pawel Kraszewsk...

Poll on device fd
Hi All, Can we do poll on device fd returned by CreateFile function call? If yes, which is callback method in device driver(on win 2k) for poll ? Tejas select() in Windows is for sockets only. -- Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP StorageCraft Corporation maxim@storagecraft.com http://www.storagecraft.com "Tejas" <tejas.sumant@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1109591206.421081.122550@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > Can we do poll on device fd returned by CreateFile function call? > If yes, which is callback method in device ...

[poll] what kind of devices do you own?
From the «plus one typewriter and two dictaphones» department: Title: Poll: You Mainly Use Desktops & Laptops Author: Christine Hall Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:44:05 -0400 Link: http://fossforce.com/2014/03/poll-you-mainly-use-desktops-laptops/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=poll-you-mainly-use-desktops-laptops [image 1]It’s hard to remember that it wasn’t that long ago that we only had a couple of choices to meet our computing needs. As recently as 2007, the year before Obama was elected, someone looking for a new computer basically could choose betw...

Adding ethernet device driver
Hi, I added Realteck 81x59 ethernet card to my pc. And also i added the driver. The problem is while iam doing communication betn linux and vxworks system using udp protocal i can,t send or receive messages. It is giving as HOST UNREACHble. These two systems are directly connected using ethernet cable. How to check in the target shell whether the driver is added properly added are or not? Thanks in advance vijay Can you ping the vxworks system? Does any communication between the systems work, or is just UDP behaving badly? What type of cable is connected between the two systems? ...

Ethernet device in char mode?
I am looking for a way to put an ethernet device in a sort of "character device" mode where I can simply read and write to it without going through the TCP/IP stack. I am trying to test some network hardware and right now I only care that what comes out of it is identical to what went in to it. Does anyone have any ideas? -Jeff Ward Jeff Ward wrote: > I am looking for a way to put an ethernet device in a sort of > "character device" mode where I can simply read and write to it > without going through the TCP/IP stack. I am trying to test some > network hard...

finding connected ethernet device
Hi, I have a laptop with an ethernet (eth0) and a wireless interface (eth1). I'm using KNetworkManager to connect to networks, and in Options>Configure>Notifications, have activated the Notification "NetworkManager is now connected" to run a script ~/bin/connected.sh. Thus, the script gets executed whenever I'm connecting to any network, and handles starting some programs, e.g. ntpdate, synchronization of email, etc. This happens independently of what network interface the connection is using. Now, I'd like to distinguish between ethernet and wireless (I...

How do I communicate with 3 Ethernet devices
I am new to using ethernet and I need help writting a LabVIEW vi to communicate with 3 Omega devices. I need to open a connection to all 3 at the same time and read data from each. I am able to communicate with them individually&nbsp;using the TCP/IP vis (see attached vi) but I don't know how to communicate with all 3 at the same time. Can anyone help?&nbsp; Bert Omega DPi8.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/231367/1/Omega DPi8.vi Hello BertYou can simply replicate your code (copy and paste) so as to open multiple TCP/IP sessions to all three instruments as the same tim...

Talking to an RS232 device over Ethernet
I would like to get data from an RS232 device. I am using a MOXA serial/ethernet converter (works well in another app). The converter is set up independent of VB. How do I code ASCII commands and pass to the device? The converter has an IP address. thanks for any help in advance Mark I've never used the MOXA converters but the ones that I have used (Comtrol DeviceMaster, and others) have Winsock servers built into them. You put a Winsock in your program and communicate that way. As far as the ASCII commands are concerned, I would think that you'll have to read the manuals that came wi...

Polling HW Devices with Linux
Hello, I am part of a team project in which we are requested to design a thermal sensing system. We are asked to use Linux as the primary OS. The Thermal Sensing Hardware is already designed. It is a pollable device (meaning you send a request and it will give you a reply). I am wondering if there is a Linux Messaging or Queing method that I could use straight of of the box, Or is there a Kernel component that could do such a Send/Receive/Reply. I have used IBM's MQs in the past but for this task I don't think it is a viable option. I am really looking forward to kn...

How to poll multiple devices in kernel ?
Hello everybody, I'm a beginner in driver and module programming, and I need some help: I designed a driver that need to listen at multiple devices (network device, serial device, USB device) for incoming data. Once received, that data should be accessible to user space through the "read" function. That's why I cannot use the poll/select functions from user space. My first idea is to make a kernel thread for EACH device that do a blocking read. When data comes, read returns and fills a global buffer (protected with mutexes). Do you think it is a good idea? S...

Talking to an RS232 device over Ethernet
Does anyone have any experience sending ASCII commands over ethernet, through an RS232/Ethernet converter to an RS232 device? I am coding in VB and would like to know where to start. thanks ...

Specifying ethernet device assignments
I'm upgrading a set of servers from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora Core 2 (doing a fresh install), and have run into a complication on systems with multiple identical ethernet devices. I've got 3 on-the-motherboard ethernet ports on the server in question - two Intel Gigabit ports using the e1000 driver, and a 100 MB port using the e100 driver. In a default installation, the system assigns the e100 to eth0, and the e1000s are eth1 and eth1. By editing /etc/modprobe.conf and running mkinitrd, I can "swap" the eth0 and eth2 definitions, making eth0 one of the e1000 ports,...

question on Ethernet Device driver
Hi all, 1) Iam working on Philips LPC 2292 controller board, Ethernet controller is Rtl8019 and Iam testing Rtl8019 driver on linux 2.6 Kernel.I have few Doubts. 2) If at all if a single packet comes and sits in Rx Buffer. Whether my ethernet controller immediately raises an Interrupt or it wait for Few seconds or milliseconds for another packets to sit in Rx Buffer before it raises an Interrupt. 3) If at all If ISR is Executing and if Before copying a packet from Rx Buffer to local Buffer, if few packet comes to Eth controller, will respective packets sits in Rx Buffer or pack...

cannot ping local ethernet device
Hi TCP-IP gurus, I have a local ethernet device configured with the IP address 10.3.0.1 and a netmask of 255.255.0.0 . When I try to ping the device, the ICMP echo messages get routed to the local loopback interface instead of the ethernet device itself. Is there a way to force the local routing table to allow the packets destined for 10.3.0.1 to actually reach that IP address instead of the 127.0.0.1 loopback interface ??? Here is the routing table configuration. 0x4 ...00 ff f6 7a a8 30 ...... TAP-Win32 Adapter V8 - Packet Scheduler Miniport ================================...

Communicating with an external device with Ethernet
I am trying to write a script to run an external device using Ethernet. Is there a way that I can do this without having the Instrument Control Toolbox (without the tcpip function)? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Kristal "Kristal Kilts" <kdkilts@rockwellcollins.com> wrote in message news:ef13ea8.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... >I am trying to write a script to run an external device using > Ethernet. Is there a way that I can do this without having the > Instrument Control Toolbox (without the tcpip function)? > > Thanks in advance for any help you...

device to wirelessly simulate Ethernet?
I have a Linksys wireless router, model no. WRT54GS, v.7. I have a desktop, a laptop, and a printer connected to the router via cat 5 cables running10Mb Ethernet. The router, in turn, connects to a cable modem via cat 6 cable running 10Mb Ethernet. I want to move the router, desktop, laptop, and printer upstairs in my condo, but the cable modem must remain downstairs where the coaxial cable enters the condo because of difficulties in running a cable upstairs. (Please just believe me.) The problem is how to link the cable modem downstairs to the router upstairs by wirelessly simulati...

SCSI device polling problem
Adaptec 2930CU adapter (bios enabled) with Seagate 4.3, IBM 9.1, Ultraplex CDrom, and Seagate Travan 8 NS tape drive. Cold boot, almost every cold boot, either no device found (froze at scsi bios routine), or the IBM 9.1 was not found and scsi bios routine stops there. Several warm boots and perhaps a cold boot or two, would clear up and system would boot normally. Found the IBM 9.1 drive's SCSI cable connection not fully seated. This seems to cleared up the majority of the problem. Now, the problem is during windows boot. Sometimes, before the windows desktop shows, the S...

Making an ethernet-wired device wireless
I got my hands on an Onkyo Net-Tune NC-500-- a digital audio receiver which normally connects to a PC via ethernet. I'd like to make it connect wirelessly, but I can't find any information on how to do so. Any pointers? Plug the ethernet cable into a WAP? ....kurt <misterhanky@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120661697.152363.78030@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I got my hands on an Onkyo Net-Tune NC-500-- a digital audio receiver > which normally connects to a PC via ethernet. I'd like to make it > connect wirelessly, but I can't find any information on...

Best Way to poll a Slow Device
A probably elementary question but... &nbsp; I have a real-time app that needs to poll a GPIB device at a low priority periodically for data and am trying to&nbsp;find out the best way to do this withought hangng up the code.&nbsp; I am using the NI-DDK with DJGPP in protected mode DOS so I am running single threaded. &nbsp; My instrument requires a command (ibcmd and ibwrt) then I read the approx 10 byte response (ibcmd and ibrd).&nbsp; The device is slow and I dont want my code to hang oin the ibrd function.&nbsp; What is the best way to poll the interface for the com...

IP addresses for embedded device with ethernet
If I build an embedded system with an ethernet port and a little embedded web server, what is the best way of identifying its IP address? It is easy enough to get an address on most networks with DHCP, but how does the user know so that they can type in the address in their browser? Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA., David "David Brown" <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 435f66da@news.wineasy.se... > If I build an embedded system with an ethernet port and a little embedded > web server, what is the best way of identifying...

Use of select() to poll a file (device)
Hi all, I am new to wxWidgets and have a couple of questions. I will place them in separate mails as they are quite different. I am using wxWidgets (wxGTK) 2.8.x (various values of x) on several Linux hosts (Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat). My application should also work with wxMotif and on Solaris. Possibly Windows one day too. First question is this: without polling, how can I know when data is ready in a file. In the past I have used something like this: FD_ZERO( &fdset ); FD_SET( serfn, &fdset ); rc = select( serfn+1, &fdset, NULL, NULL, NULL ); /* Char read...