Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting

Hi ,
Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to
VxWorks and vice versa.

Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would
like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this.

Thanks & Regards,
karthik bala guru
comp.os.vxworks 5962 articles. 3 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from
> Linux to VxWorks and vice versa.

> Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would
> like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this.

Posting once is probably enough...

There is a v2linux package by MontaVista.  Googling v2linux currently
turns up, "http://legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html".  This is
also useful if you develop/host vxWorks on a *nix machine.  Instead of
using the simulator, you can compile a native application using this
compatibility layer.

Not sure so much about going from Linux to vxWorks.  There is a lot of
functionality available in the bigger OSs that is not available in
vxWorks.  For instance, "fork", "pthreads", "mmap", etc.  Genearally,
you can steal routines from Linux (like libraries), but it is
difficult to take an application.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.

--
My kid had sex with your honor student. - Bumper Sticker

vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"
0
spam_account (239)
   For porting there are 3 approaches which are common in the
industry.

1)Build an abstraction layer above your OS and make your application
sit over this abstraction layer.So your application will be
interacting with the abstraction layer and it will inturn call your OS
layer.The advantage is you can change the OS when ever you feel
like,maintaining the sanity of the application with zero effort
required to port the application.

2)The second way will be to make your application with posix calls
instead of normal OS APIs.Vxworks follows POSIX 1003.1b standard and
if you code linux to this standard you will get portable
application.But,the disadvantage AFAIK with this approach is this does
not guarantee real time performance,though I am not very much sure of
this.

3)Purchase any commercially available porting kit as stated by Bill
and use the kit to port.

Finally if you are looking for tips look into
www.bluedonkey.org-->go into vxworks cookbook site--->check for
porting link.
http://www.bluedonkey.org/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Books/MigratingVxWorksToLinux

This will provide you some tips on porting,though its for moving from
vxworks to linux,I believe you should be able to work out porting from
linux to vxworks in a similar manner.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
s.subbarayan

bluekarthik@yahoo.com (karthik bala guru) wrote in message news:<af94616b.0502172311.4660dade@posting.google.com>...
> Hi ,
> Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to
> VxWorks and vice versa.
>
> Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would
> like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> karthik bala guru
0
s_subbarayan (123)
Ideas are nice and fine. :) Thanks to JohnGordon's effort and Subbrayan
for letting me know the link. :) :)

The link bluedonkey.org has good contents section, but the actual
section is found to be empty(that is yet to be developed, only some
part of the sections have been found to be written. Other sections have
to be written ). :(

It would be really very nice and kind of you, if someone could give me
the original link or the 'bluedonkey.org link' in a completed form. :)

http://www.bluedonkey.org/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Books/VxWorksToLinuxGettingStarted
- I cannot find anything in this section - this section could be of
great help to anyone - So, i would like to request JohnGordon to do it
for the opensource community - OR, kindly give me the completed good
link regarding the porting.

I did not get JohnGordon's mail ID, else i would have mailed him for
the completed pdf / doc/ link .

:) :) :)
karthik bala guru

Actually, I am porting a protocol stack from arm-linux-gcc to vxworks.
I knew the work is more w.r.t linux to vxworks and
less when it is from vxworks to linux.
anyhow, thanx for ur ideas,

karthik bala guru

Got his ID,
john_94501@yahoo.com is Mr.JohnGordon mail ID.
Anyhow,
could someone give me some good-link to download the VxWorksCookBook
and VxWorksToLinux ??

Thanx and Regards, :)
karthik bala guru

On comp.os.linux.embedded, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote:

> VxWorks-to-Linux migration kits are offered by a number of companies,
> including MapuSoft, LynuxWorks, MontaVista, and TimeSys.

> But, y is there no such thing like,
> Linux-to-VxWorks Migration Kits ????

> What is the difficulty in providing such a migration kit ?
> where is the problem actually ?

> if there is a linux-to-vxworks migration kit available in any website
> or shop, do kindly let me know.

Glad you already knew the answer.  Ker-plunk.

--
Life, don't talk to me about life.  - Marvin the robot

vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"
0
spam_account (239)
2/21/2005 4:50:44 PM
Hello,

> - I cannot find anything in this section - this section could be of
> great help to anyone - So, i would like to request JohnGordon to do
it
> for the opensource community - OR, kindly give me the completed good
> link regarding the porting.

You have the link to all there is at the moment. I am currently swamped
with work for my current day job, so don't have much time to fill in
stuff in either of the two books (or even reply here as often as I used
to). I do have some more raw materials for the Cookbook waiting to be
written, but not so much for the porting guide.

TTFN,
John...

=====
Contribute to the VxWorks Cookbook at: http://books.bluedonkey.org/

0
john_94501 (167)
2/25/2005 9:32:25 AM
Hello John,
Thanx for ur replly. Hpe, u finish ur works quickly and comeup with
those excellent stuffs.
And finally,dont forget post the link here for that !!

Cheeeeeeeeeers !!
karthik bala guru

Porting from linux to vxworks viceversa porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru ...

Porting from Linux to VxWorks
Hi all, We have an application that runs on WinCE and embedded Linux. Now we want to port our application to VxWorks. What filesystems does VxWorks support? Is there a VxWorks FAQ anywhere? "David Laird" <kilgore_was_here@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BmSnc.7295$UQ.368858@attbi_s51... > Hi all, > > We have an application that runs on WinCE and embedded Linux. Now we > want to port our application to VxWorks. What filesystems does VxWorks > support? Is there a VxWorks FAQ anywhere? > DOS. http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ...

porting from linux to VxWorks #2
I am trying to port C++ application from linux to VxWorks.But ,it is showing errors in standard header files of VxWorks. e.g. stdint.h (it is there in target/usr/h/) line 28 : compiler out of sync .Probably missing ';' or } line 28 : illegal function definition. line 31 : illegal storage class On Nov 29, 5:23 pm, Arjun Prasad <arjun_pr...@yahoo.co.in> wrote: > I am trying to port C++ application from linux to VxWorks.But ,it is > showing errors in standard header files of VxWorks. > e.g. stdint.h (it is there in target/usr/h/) > > line 28 : compiler out of...

porting from linux to VxWorks #3
I am trying to port C++ application from linux to VxWorks.But ,it is showing errors in standard header files of VxWorks. e.g. stdint.h (it is there in target/usr/h/) line 28 : compiler out of sync .Probably missing ';' or } line 28 : illegal function definition. line 31 : illegal storage class ...

how to find address port or port number of VxWorks OS
I have a Power PC (Radstone PPC4B-7400) which runs on VxWorks OS, i want to= communicate from LABVIEW (Host) to the power PC (Target) via TCP/IP.I need= to specify the IP address and Port number of the target system in the LABV= IEW .VI, i have the IP address but i am unable to find out the port address= of the power PC,Any help would be appreciated. =20 I boot up the power PC via Hyperterminal. ...

How hard it is port VxWorks code to Linux?
Guys: A porting question, Our systems is running with VxWorks (all are tasks), how hard it is port to Linux. Does any tasks concept available in Linux?. Also how the Interrupt will work in Linux?. We have many ISR's in VxWorks code, can it run directly on Linux?. Thanks in advance. santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > Guys: > > A porting question, Our systems is running with VxWorks (all are > tasks), how hard it is port to Linux. It's moderately hard. > Does any tasks concept available > in Linux?. Yes. > Also how the Interrupt will work in Linux?. Yes. ...

porting from Linux to vxworks 6.7
Hello, I am trying to port Intel new features like MSRs, PMC from linux to vxWorks 6.7. Could any one give me starting tips and suggestions to start with? What documents do I need to refer for this? Thanks BK. On Aug 15, 2:01=A0am, BK <b.kishor...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to port Intel new features like MSRs, PMC from linux to > vxWorks 6.7. > > Could any one give me starting tips and suggestions to start with? > > What documents do I need to refer for this? > > Thanks > BK. Hello BK, Some things that you may need to know before po...

Question about porting Vxworks Application to Linux Target
We will have to develop a new application on Vxworks Target based on an pentium architecture. In few months, we would like to port this same application on a target running under linux. Wind River Workbench 2.0 offer the possibility to develop Linux application, however before coding, we would like to consider in our specification the porting Vxworks to Linux. By considering the porting to linux, now, we would like to save time in the future and preserve the maximum of code of our application. Anybody has information (advice, site, ?) about porting Vxworks to Linux ? Thank's Thierry H...

Porting Bluetooth Stack in Arm-Linux into VxWorks
Hi all, Has anyone got any good links/tips for porting bluetooth stack in arm-linux into vxworks ? Do plz let me know. regards, karthik bala guru "karthik bala guru" <bluekarthik@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet news:af94616b.0502171933.3b48efaf@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > Has anyone got any good links/tips for porting > bluetooth stack in arm-linux into vxworks ? > Do plz let me know. > > regards, > karthik bala guru Are you sure u can do this, without breaking the GPL? Can't be too tightly integrated, that is for sure. ...

What are main issues while porting VxWorks code to Linux?
Porting VxWorks code to Linux, How hard it is?. The VxWorks cdoe is task based, Does Linux has any such kind?. Also how to take cars ISR's?. Appreciated for some info on porting from VxWorks to Linux. Thanks in advance. santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > Porting VxWorks code to Linux, How hard it is?. Moderately hard. > The VxWorks cdoe is > task based, Does Linux has any such kind?. Yes. > Also how to take cars > ISR's?. I googled "Linux interrupt routines" and a large number of hits came up. Why can't you do the same ? santa...

Porting VxWorks on Linux or BSD 6.x
Hello, We have a complex VxWorks based embedded application - We want to now switch to Linux or BSD (preferred) I need to prototype this - I see that MontaVista has an open Source library @ (http:// legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html) to help with this porting - - I have several VxWorks Tasks that would run as threads, and if we use a multiword CPU I would expect the scheduler to schedule the threads across the cores - -Can anybody share their experiences if they have done this before? (In terms of complexity and performance) Thanks ak ...

[News] Linux Workshop Planned in Cambridge, VxWorks OS Lags Behind Linux

porting usb camera driver from linux to vxworks problem
I am porting usb camera driver from linux to vxworks, and I can receive JPEG now,but I don't know if it is a whole frame of JPEG data. I use a camera with zc301 bridge chip and pb0330 CMOS sensor, and in my program ,I set the image size to 320*240 , so I suppose the compressed JPEG data output should be about 7KB ! However,vxworks usb stack functions a little differently from linux. In vxworks usb develop kit ,it says that : "USB_IRPs that describe isochronous transfers must have only one USB_BFR_LIST entry. In general, the buffer that the USB_BFR_LIST entry describes should be large...

[VxW] Interested in porting VxWorks Applications to Linux/QNX?
Hi John =20 In one of our project we are planning to port Vxworks based applications to= Linux. Please let us know the work done by your company regarding the= same.=20 =20 Thanks Vijay Wipro Tech, Chennai Confidentiality Notice=20 The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to= this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or= privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or= Mailadmin@wipro.com immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any at...

About porting BSP from VxWorks 5.4 to VxWorks 5.5
Hello Everyone: We got the task to port our BSP from VxWorks 5.4 to VxWorks 5.5,because our Firewall part will use the VxWorks Firewall library version 5.5. We are told that it is a easier way than port Firewall from 5.5 to 5.4. Could you please provide some documents or guide for such porting? Is there any example to follow? Thanks a million for any information or suggestion. Your sicencely Jacky 2006-11-09 Hii Jacky, Get the Migration guide from wrs. It provides the steps for migrating ur BSP from vx5.4 to vx5.5. Thanks, Akhil Jacky.Yang wrote: > Hello Everyo...

What are the steps to do for Vxworks 5.5 porting to Vxworks 6.2
Hi All, I am new to Vxworks porting . Can anybody sugget me to How to the do porting . AFAIK, SysGo provides a (commercial) toolkit. -Michael nagidivenu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > I am new to Vxworks porting . > Can anybody sugget me to How to the do porting . Wrong group? You should better ask Windriver how to. Juergen Michael Schnell wrote: > AFAIK, SysGo provides a (commercial) toolkit. OOps. I misread your subject. AFAIK, SysGo tools help to port from Vxworks to Linux. -Michael ...

Porting the device drivers ARM->x86 ; Vxworks->Linux
Porting the device drivers. We are using SCC2691 UART for extra serial port on our custom x86 board. We already have Vxworks drivers aviable for this device. We have moved to Embedded Linux recently. Luckily can't find any SCC2691 driver for x86 any were on the net (Any one???). I found some support for this device for ARM based custom hardware from coral. I have the scc2691.c file from ARM driver now, and from the patch where i got the driver i can see what changes i need to make to tty_o.c , Makefile,Config.in. Now I am going to add scc2691.c in my /drivers/char/ kern...

vxWorks port?
Hello All, I saw some old posts about vxWorks port of Python. Is there someone who can give me pointers to more recent efforts of porting Python to wxWorks? Thanks, Miki ...

Linux on VxWorks ?
I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but must ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux on top of VxWorks, perhaps as a separate task ? Thanks in advance, Bob Beck beck@assurtech.com beck@assurtech.com (Bob Beck) wrote in message news:<57446572.0401120807.47507c94@posting.google.com>... > I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but > must ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux on top of VxWorks, > perhaps as a separate task ? > > Your only option (that I'm aware of) is to port the application to Vxworks. I'm not aware of any tool to let yo...

Linux on VxWorks ?
I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but must ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux on top of VxWorks, perhaps as a separate task ? Thanks in advance, Bob Beck beck@assurtech.com On 12 Jan 2004 08:10:29 -0800, Bob Beck <beck@assurtech.com> wrote: > I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but > must ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux on top of VxWorks, > perhaps as a separate task ? > Doubtful. What happened when you tried to build and run your code on VxWorks? Many UNIX-y applications will run with minimal changes under vxWorks. The biggest ...

Linux on VxWorks ?
I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but needs to ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux under VxWorks, perhaps as a separate task ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bob Beck beck@assurtech.com In article <57446572.0401120805.9fde659@posting.google.com>, Bob Beck <beck@assurtech.com> wrote: >I have a software radio application that runs on Linux, but >needs to ship on VxWorks. Can I run Linux under VxWorks, >perhaps as a separate task ? > > >Any suggestions would be appreciated. Don't do that. It'll hurt. Why do...

Ports....Ports....Ports...
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to be forwarded to allow for voice? Thanx, Grumpy On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, William Harper spoketh >I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get >voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct >PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to >be forwarded...

Linux, Linux, Linux

How can I use vxWorks bootloader to load a linux OS ?
Any comments will welcome . ...

Web resources about - Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting - comp.os.vxworks

Porting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about moving software to a different system. For engine tuning, see porting (engine) . For porting of telephone numbers, see ...

Step by Step Guide to Porting Your Facebook App to Bebo
This is a guest post by Blake Commagere, creator of the “monsters” series of applications on Facebook, Bebo, and other social networks. How much ...

Porting Android on Beagle Board XM - YouTube
This video shows 3D demos on porting android OS using beagle board XM by Tenet.. BeagleBoard-xM delivers extra ARM Cortex-A8 MHz and extra memory ...

$45k stolen in phone porting scam
Scammers steal identity, redirect banking verification codes.

Learning from porting selecta
... keep, your production code or your tests?" If you have high-quality tests, you should be able to produce similar code with clean design. Porting ...

Microsoft’s ‘Bridge’ tool for porting iOS apps to Windows 10 is now available
Microsoft first unveiled “Windows Bridge” a few months back , a new tool for developers that aims to make porting iOS apps to Windows 10 easier ...

NVIDIA Acquires Game Porting Group & Tech From Transgaming
... Windows games over to OS X. With the rise of Apple’s fortunes and the move to x86, Transgaming has been responsible for either directly porting ...

Nintendo could be porting Game Boy games to smartphones - AOL.com
A patent filed by Nintendo in June makes it look like Game Boy games might be finally coming to mobile platforms. Yup, you might finally get ...

Jetpack Joyride Developer Acquires Cross-Platform Porting Technology
... that offers cross-platform conversion options for electronic games using only their C++ code bases. With the acquisition of a dedicated porting ...

Adobe abandons development of Flash-to-iPhone porting software
A change in Apple's developer agreement has caused Adobe to halt development of technology that allows Flash applications to be ported natively ...