Regaring Application size in VxWorks

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I am new user to VxWorks. I am using gcc-ppc604gnu compiler to build
my my application in Tornado2.2.

I have three static libs which are already built in gcc-ppc604gnu
compiler. I want to my application size should be such that it will
contain only those functions which it is using.

I am giving some details how I am giving options:

In the "rules" tab, in target prompt, I am giving as "test.out". In
dependencies prompt, "projectname.a".

In commands prompt, I am giving like below :
$(LD) -r -o $@ --whole-archive $< --no-whole-archive -LC:\test\libs -
ltest.

After generation of test.out, the size of test.out is so big say it as
1.2MB. But, I need to make it 600KB to load into board.

I heard that --gc-sections can be used for reducing size but "-r" and
"--gc-sections" are not working together...

Can anybody please tell me options to be given for reducing size?

Regards
Satish.

0
Reply satish.lvr (42) 5/24/2007 12:49:47 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.vxworks 5901 articles. 6 followers. Post

Vxworks applications
Hi all! could somebody give me or tell me where i can find small vxworks applications? we are trying to port vxworks applications to linux, so if somebody is already working on this please let me know. thanx and regards hash ...

why cann't i build my application into vxworks or vxworks.st?
I have include EXTRA_MODULE :test.0. but I cann't find my test application when vxworks run on my pentium machine. And I find tornado IDE cann't build vxworks.st in the project folder. Can anyone help me? THANKS Hello, > I have include EXTRA_MODULE :test.0. Possibly just a typo, but the macro is EXTRA_MODULES (i.e. ends in an 'S'), and the .O should probably be a .o (i.e. lower case). Of course, on a Windoze box, the .O will be treated the same anyway, so this is perhaps unimportant (depending on whether you are using a real OS for development, or Windoze). > but I c...

application font size
Having just migrated from an iMac24 to a iMac27 (i7) the screen res increase (now c.109 ppi) has made the font in script editor and elsewhere, bordering on unreadable. The font in script editor on the 24 display looks like Lucida Grande 11 pt ; on the 27 display (although of course it is still Lucid 11 pt) it is effectively more like 9 pt on the 24 display. Each line is smaller in real space, by doing some simple measurements of the same text strings on screen, and replicate text in an editor to compare fonts, it is easy enough to deduce the comparative font size. So in rea...

How to check Application Sizes?
I am going to clean my Hd. IS there a way to view all my installed Applications and view their sizes? On 07-13-2010 18:26, Tony wrote: > I am going to clean my Hd. IS there a way to view all my installed > Applications and view their sizes? In Terminal, cd /Applications # (and anywhere else you have them) du -sk * # shows sizes in KB -- Wes Groleau Scribd Copyright Violations http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1529 In article <8b63dfcb-2454-419b-800e-df2271a3945e@x20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, Tony <henree21@gmail.com> wrote: ...

Application Size in ADA
Dear All, Why do the binaries that I built seem to be huge? I know this is a bit of an open ended question... (no "how long is a piece of string" related answers please) I'm using tasks in my application. Does this add extra code into the binary to ensure time slicing?. I was just wondering where all the bloat is coming from. On a separate issue... I have found an IDE called GPS (GNAT Programming System) Is this considered the 'thing to use' or are you all writing your ADA in emacs (or equivalent)? (No flames Please ;) ) Thanks for your responses -- Simon L...

Stack size of Vxworks
Hi, I am downloading an Vxworks image of 4 MB on my Power PC architecture. Initially the stack size of the downloading task ( "txbdService ") is of 4096 bytes, which is lower. After downloading 1.5 MB, downloading will get failed. But if i'll increase the stack size from 4096 to 16384. I am able to download the 4 MB of Image. On what basis the task stack size has to be increased ? I mean, what will happen if i'll keep the stack size large enough and how it will effect the system ? and Vice versa. ...

vxworks and stack size
Hi, At work we are running tornado 5.5 and a ppc board with 256 meg. The default stack is 20K I am told but there are 4 variables that have stack size in them. The variables are ROOT STACK SIZE 24K AIO stack size 20K WBD stack size 2K tshell stack size 20K I think we are allocating enough room on the stack for us to have some problems. I also noticed that mapped memory is 2M. So if I have a big app that eats up stack memory and allocates a lot of heap space what do I do? Just increase the stacks by 2x? thanks in advance So when I download an app this won&...

my vxWorks application crashes
Hello, Environment : vxWorks 5.4 with T2.0 i connect via a NE2000 driver and FTP-FS from Target to host. i have a large C++ based application. the application (nearly same code except for some low level system classes) runs fine under Win*. under vxWorks my application runs (after hours without problem) suddenly into pagefaults (with dead target machines), into reboots, and similar crashes. sometime just a task traps and changes into state suspended. in this last case i can check the location of the trap etc, but its always another location and sometimes its deep in the vxWorks kernel. i b...

Application heap size
Hi, I am writing a front-end to a Perl-based web-service running against a DB2 v. 8.1 database, and every once in a while I get the following error: DBD::DB2::db prepare failed: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0954C Not enough storage is available in the application heap to process the statement. SQLSTATE=57011 The server is running Win2k and Apache2/mod_perl 1.99. After approx. 40 calls to the database I get the error. The SQL thats being prepared or executed is always varying, so its not a specific SQL statement that crashes the database - it seems to be just a certain quanti...

Size of wxWidgets applications
I know this issue has been raised before, so I thought I'd document my findings about the relative sizes of wxWidgets (from CVS head) and MFC 7.1 applications. I've created two functionally identical Unicode applications with those toolkits. In wxWidgets terms, they use these components: wxFrame, wxPanel, wxNotebook, wxToolBar, wxMenuBar, wxSplitterWindow, wxStaticText, wxBoxSizer, wxFlexGridSizer, wxTextCtrl, wxComboBox, wxCheckListBox, wxValidator, wxDirTraverser, wxGenericDirCtrl wxWidgets is built to use std::string for wxString, whereas the MFC code uses std::st...

Reducing TV Application Size
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to reduce application size of a Turbovision programme compied with djgpp. A medium size TV application is easily 1MB in size, and I need my executable to be much less in size. Can I modify the TV libraries ? I dont need any internationalization. If I dont need the mouse, how can I remove mouse handling. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you, ARIZVI Hi, Not sure about djgpp. I use the DOS version, and I have found that there is a big difference in executable size when you compile and link with all debugging and line number info turned off. Other...

Stack size allocated in VxWorks
in VxWorks the forth argument to taskSpawn(); is the stack size. Now say if we allocate a stack size of 0, its in bytes. Now if we check it in browser, It is found that already some memory is allocated and its not 0. its something 12272 bytes. From here on, make trials by increasing the stacksize. the no u'll give in taskSpawn() will be added to 12272. Howz That?????????????????????? Also the stacksize which we give in taskSpawn, is with the TCB or without the TCB. Kindly reply if u have any idea.. Waiting desperately for lots of replies please send a copy of ans at mehrautsah_puzzles@yah...

Web Applications Size Measurements
Is there a known way of measuring the size of web applications ? I have read a little about 'lines of codes', but I think it's not appropriate for web applcations in which you have VBScript and Javascript and ASP all in the same page. Can you provide me with research papers or useful links on that subject? TIA ko78@hotmail.com (Khaled) wrote in message news:<74e8979c.0307111313.4f4b653e@posting.google.com>... > Is there a known way of measuring the size of web applications ? I > have read a little about 'lines of codes', but I think it's not > approp...

compilation of c++ application in vxworks
Hi All! can anybody share his/her experiance of compiling C++ Application in VxWorks. i.e what we have 2 know abt. vxworks inorder 2 start compilation. Regards, Arjun On Dec 3, 6:16 pm, Arjun Prasad <arjun_pr...@yahoo.co.in> wrote: > Hi All! > > can anybody share his/her experiance of compiling C++ Application in > VxWorks. > i.e what we have 2 know abt. vxworks inorder 2 start compilation. > > Regards, > Arjun the c++ Application is developed on linux plateform ...

VxWorks basic kernel size
Dear vxworks gurus, whats the basic kernel footprint size of Vxworks? Advanced thanks to person replying me. Regards, s.subbarayan Hi ! Don't know for a "basic" kernel, but I can tell you a typical size for the following kernel : - support for ATA drive and PCMCIA - support for FAT file system (1.0) - running on a PowerPC 8xx - minimal user application (to load ELF executable from the ATA driver) All this things require 224 KB of ROM (not compressed). hope this help ! Emmanuel. subbarayan wrote: > Dear vxworks gurus, > whats the basic kernel footprint size of...

VxWorks Image Size questions
Hi All, I have some basic questions related to the VxWorks Images. I am using the Vxworks 5.4 for MPC860. 1. Vxworks Bootable Image consists of text , data ans bss. What all out of text data bss goes to the Flash memory and what all goes to RAM . Is it all three or only text and data are cosidered to be part of the Image in calculating the memory requirements. 2. While creating the vxWorks_rom image why it always shows the fixed text size and Bss=0 while the data changes? 3. Why is the size of Downloadable image size ( text data bss ) is greater than the bootable image say vxWorks_rom ima...

Automation for VxWork Runtime Application
Hi All, Is there any automation tool that we could use to test VxWork Runtime Application? Best Regards, Hi: There are a few tools meant for unit and module testing code that has been developed. Most rely on expected vs actual results of calls to functions to verify correctness. Some can generate test cases automatically, and some are totally manual. I've used or done evals on a couple of the more popular one (VectorCast from Vector Software, tbrun from LDRA software, and CrossTest). These all work with Tornado. They are useful if you like to run regression tests, as most have th...

Size of segments for a ROM application
Hi, I've used the romsize to check the size of a boot ROM application that i compiled. It appears only the text segment size and the data segment size. My questions: 1- the data segment that appears in the romsize app output is the data +bss segment sizes? 2- Does boot apps have BSS segment space or the compiler just initialises everything and adds it to the data segment. Thanks in advance! On Jan 30, 11:03 am, ska...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I've used the romsize to check the size of a boot ROM application that > i compiled. > It appears only the text segment siz...

Getting memory size for an application
Hello, I am running DB2 V8.2 on AIX. I am looking for a way to get the memory size of a specific db2 agent. I have found the db2mtrk tool that gives me a list of all the applications and heap sizes. Also there is "DB2 Snapshot for Application" but I am looking for a way to capture the data for C code without having to parse through a file. The SNAPSHOT_APPL and SNAPSHOT_APPL_INFO table functions seem to fall short of the information I noted there is an admin view available in DB2 V9 that gets the same information as db2mtrk but it does not appear to be available in V8. ...

AW: Size of wxWidgets applications
-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht----- Von: Robert Roebling [mailto:robert@roebling.de]=20 > > generally are 50%-100% larger for some reasons ? >No, wxWidgets adds about 1,5 Mb to an app if everything >is compiled into the libaray (including the various=20 >image libs and wxHTML). .... so switching off all unnecessary parts seems to be strongly = recommended. I did not care about size yet. My first database app done in wx was = 160k :-) J=FCrgen Schuhmacher --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-u...

Re: Size of wxWidgets applications
Robert Roebling wrote: > Even that might be relevant in certain situations, > but for any sizable app on a remotely modern > computer, it doesn't matter. Not even on new PDAs. You don't take into account that many programs will be downloaded from the internet, and users will more relunctantly download and try a program if the size is big. My 2 cents. __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway http://promotions.yahoo.com/design_giveaway/ --------------------------------------------------------------...

Setting screen size in an application
I want to be able to set the size of the monitor display and set it back at program end. PPC, C language, Codewarrior. Thanks! John Ohannesian johnoco@earthlink.net In article <BBFC1B17.74F8%johnoco@earthlink.net>, johnoco <johnoco@earthlink.net> wrote: > I want to be able to set the size of the monitor display and set it back at > program end. PPC, C language, Codewarrior. Thanks! <http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/D isplay_Manager/DMFkey_Source/RequestVideo.h.htm> In article <BBFC1B17.74F8%johnoco@earthlink....

Reducing TV Application Size
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to reduce application size of a Turbovision programme compied with djgpp. A medium size TV application is easily 1MB in size, and I need my executable to be much less in size. Can I modify the TV libraries ? I dont need any internationalization. If I dont need the mouse, how can I remove mouse handling. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you, ARIZVI Hi, Not sure about djgpp. I use the DOS version, and I have found that there is a big difference in executable size when you compile and link with all debugging and line number info turned off. Other...

Split DB application and file sizes
I am working on a database in ACCESS 2003. This is a simple DB with only one table. I have split the DB so I can upgrade and debug the front end before installing on my clients' computer. I used the ACCESS splitter utility and everything appeared to go OK. If I run "Copy of DB_be.mdb" I see only the table, not the Queries or Forms. When I run the front end "Copy of DB.mdb" I see the Queries and Forms. but, I also see the Table. If I delete the table from the front end and try to run a Query I receive the error message that the application can not find the table...