vxworks vs lynxos 4

Hi,

At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.

lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.

Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed choice?

Thanks

0
spam40 (680)
10/2/2003 8:45:47 PM
comp.os.vxworks 5961 articles. 1 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

I worked for Wind from 1998 to 2002, I worked with vxWorks from 1989. I
have worked with LynxOS since 3/2003.

My main observation would be that the cycle time for our LynxOS project
is much greater than it was for any vxWorks project. In vxWorks if I
modified a driver then I'd make in the top level directory and boot my
target, a minute later my new software is working (well, at lest on the
machine and trying, we all make mistakes). When I rebuild this system my
main build environment is Win2k but I need to rebuild the LynxOS to
include the new drivers. We often modify structures that map to both and
have to rebuild everything. With ftping software and rebuilding in
several directories then ftping in the applications it takes an hour or
so to wind the handle on this system. If it had been done differently
then perhaps it could be quicker, but I miss the comparatively fast
reboots on vxWorks.

I miss the debugger and WindView too.

We have had issues with LynxOS that were solved with a huge patch too,
that was not as forthcoming as I would have expected from Wind. Wind
tends to air its dirty washing in public, you can browse patches and see
if any of them address your areas of concern.

LynxOS employs a number of former Wind people, they would know all about
things Wind has done wrong. I don't believe Wind has the same benefit.
Having said that I am not personally aware of projects that have failed
because of the choice of vxWorks, which doesn't mean there aren't any.
WinCE was certainly known for crashing a few companies who couldn't make
it work on their hardware.

The big downer for vxWorks used to be availability of the source, but if
what I heard recently is correct then the source is now very affordable.
Rebuilding the entire source on a Solaris box was just a case of going
to the top of the tree and typing (for example)

make CPU=PENTIUM4 TOOL=gnu

If you modify a bit of the o/s you only need to make in that directory.

We are having issues getting a coherent build and target between several
developers and their target systems.

I can't see any great advantage of LynxOS over Linux, the disadvantage
is that they have less that 1% of the developers and they don't make the
source readily available.

To be fair to LynxOS to rebuild the kernel on a target you do this:

cd /sys/lynx.os
touch CONFIG.TBL
make install

You may also have to make all in sys/devices.

Given my current issues; if we were in the market for an OS I'd be
looking forward to giving the WR sales folks a hell of a hard time on
price, and failing that I'd be looking at Linux or BSD (which has much
better licensing from a commercial perspective). If you aren't a good
negotiator you can end up getting a less than sweetheart deal on target
licenses from any commercial vendor.

Wind need to pull their finger out on the device driver front, but their
device drivers are relatively easy to write and there is a reasonable
course.

vxWorks isn't ideal, I have little use for Tornado in day to day use,
but they still suck less. Their support isn't what it once was, but then
I know my way round the source tree from a year in major account support
and four in services, so there aren't a lot of questions you can't
answer with the source.

Wind's editor sucks, I don't know why they even bother. Visual Slick
Edit is a lot better. VSE is also more capable than MS VDS which Lynx
interfaces to. My main complaint is that the cross referencing in VDS
depends on being able to compile the code, VSE will browse stuff that
won't compile. With vxWorks I'd edit in VSE if I had it or Emacs if I
didn't. Tornado can call out to other editors, but the link isn't great.
I didn't work with Wind's latest and greatest Tornado, so I don't know
if the latest IDE ever saw the light of day.

Summary... LynxOS wouldn't be top of my list.

I don't think I've said anything actionable, so I better stop now.

Chris
Speaking for myself alone, certainly not for my employer who may have
very good reasons for not agreeing with me at all :-)

Zaa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
>
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
>
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed choice?
>
> Thanks

chann94501 (45)
10/2/2003 9:53:24 PM
Thanks for this very interesting reply !!!!

LC

"Chris Hann" <chann94501@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de
> [...]
> didn't. Tornado can call out to other editors, but the link isn't great.
> I didn't work with Wind's latest and greatest Tornado, so I don't know
> if the latest IDE ever saw the light of day.
>
> Summary... LynxOS wouldn't be top of my list.
>
> I don't think I've said anything actionable, so I better stop now.
>
> Chris
> Speaking for myself alone, certainly not for my employer who may have
> very good reasons for not agreeing with me at all :-)
>
> Zaa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> > Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
> >
> > lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on
vxworks.

> > Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed

me677 (5)
10/3/2003 7:46:28 AM
I use both.  If OS's are cars, then I consider VxWorks my Chevy and LynxOS
my Mercedes.
I drive the Mercedes as much as possible!

"Zaa" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
>
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
>
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed
choice?

> Thanks

I use both.  If OS's are cars, then I consider VxWorks my Chevy and LynxOS
my Mercedes.
I drive the Mercedes as much as possible!
If you need it, LOS tech support is first class!

"Zaa" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
>
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
>
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed
choice?

> Thanks

About porting BSP from VxWorks 5.4 to VxWorks 5.5
Hello Everyone: We got the task to port our BSP from VxWorks 5.4 to VxWorks 5.5,because our Firewall part will use the VxWorks Firewall library version 5.5. We are told that it is a easier way than port Firewall from 5.5 to 5.4. Could you please provide some documents or guide for such porting? Is there any example to follow? Thanks a million for any information or suggestion. Your sicencely Jacky 2006-11-09 Hii Jacky, Get the Migration guide from wrs. It provides the steps for migrating ur BSP from vx5.4 to vx5.5. Thanks, Akhil Jacky.Yang wrote: > Hello Everyo...

[VxW] VxWorks 5.4, standalone network, vxworks.st_rom and host tools
Is it possible to attach (debug) host tools to a system configured as a stand-alone system? If so, where would this be documented? Thanks, RM A certain Maiale Robert A NPRI, of comp.os.vxworks "fame", writes : >Is it possible to attach (debug) host tools to a system configured as a >stand-alone system? Yup, with some differences. vxworks.st_rom is a bootstrap and a compressed vxWorks.st image with debug symbols stripped. When it starts up it decompresses the image and boots it for you. You will need to modify your build process to build vxWorks...

Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack from Vxworks 6.7
Hi , Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack from Vxworks 6.7. I am trying to evaluate Vxworks 6.7 (ipcom/ipnet/iptcp) network stack with Vxworks 5.5. But I am facing lot of compilation issues in .../ipnet/ipcom/port/vxworks/src/ipcom_drv_eth.c Is there any performance difference between 6.5 and 6.7 network stack? Thanks in advance, Praveen. On Nov 12, 12:39=A0pm, Praveen <gcprav...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi , > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Is it possible to couple Vxworks OS 5.5 with network stack= from > Vxworks 6.7. I am trying to evaluate Vxworks ...

Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGCITY5?
Hi, Has anybody done a comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY5? I am well versed with VxWorks and enjoy the new Eclipse IDE (VxWorks 6). However, my goal is to find a COTS RTOS that is cost effective and certifiable to RTCA/DO178B level D. All the latter mentioned RTOSes support space partitioning, which is a prerequisite for running multiple criticality levels on the same processor. This application is for the aerospace industry. SwGuy ...

VxWorks autoconf in ACE 5.4.4?
I'm relatively new to ACE and even newer to attempting to build it. We need both VxWorks 5.5.1 and Linux w/gcc 3.4 (eg fedore core 3). I have 5.4.4 built via autoconf (/configure etc.) for Linux, nice and clean. I see 'vxworks' in some of the autoconf scripts but can't get it to configure (./configure --target=vxworks or --host=vxworks etc all complain about an unknown machine type). I'm not an autoconf guru, or even neophyte so I need help - does ACE 5.4.4 autoconf support VxWorks yet? Currently we build Linux via autoconf and VxWorks "the old way" - the problem is we end up with two different directory structures so common makefiles need to compensate (eg. use -I$ACE_ROOT for VxWorks or -I$ACE_ROOT/include for Linux). john ...

[VxWorks] How to get memory usage on vxworks?
Hi,all How can I get the current memory usage on vxworks? Maybe source code of memShow can help, but I can't find it. Best regards yy_unicorn@hotmail.com (Yao Yong) wrote in message news:<cfe430d0.0309180044.12ca27a5@posting.google.com>... > Hi,all > How can I get the current memory usage on vxworks? Maybe source > code of memShow can help, but I can't find it. > > Best regards memPartInfoGet() will give you the info on memory partitions. The system memory partition ID is memSysPartId, which in extern'ed in memLib.h Pete pkockritz@ieee.org (Pete ...

[ace-users] Re: VxWorks autoconf in ACE 5.4.4?
Hi, > I'm relatively new to ACE and even newer to attempting to build it. Ok. Please use the problem-report-form that is in the ACE/TAO package when asking questions. That makes it easier for us to help > We need both VxWorks 5.5.1 and Linux w/gcc 3.4 (eg fedore core 3). > > I have 5.4.4 built via autoconf (/configure etc.) for Linux, nice and clean. > > I see 'vxworks' in some of the autoconf scripts but can't get it to > configure (./configure --target=vxworks or --host=vxworks etc all complain > about an unknown machine type). I'm not an autoconf guru, or even neophyte > so I need help - does ACE 5.4.4 autoconf support VxWorks yet? No, there is no autoconf support for VxWorks and there are currently no plans to add it. Please use the traditional way of building for VxWorks (see ACE-INSTALL.html), supply patches to add autoconf for VxWorks or sponsor such kind of work > Currently we build Linux via autoconf and VxWorks "the old way" - the > problem is we end up with two different directory structures so common > makefiles need to compensate (eg. use -I$ACE_ROOT for VxWorks > or -I$ACE_ROOT/include for Linux). You can always also use the traditional way of building on Linux. Then you have the same structure on windows and linux. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl ...

GreenHills vs VxWorks
Has anyone used GreenHills Integrity/Multi? How does it compare to VxWorks? Is there a newsgroup for GreenHills? Thanks One difference, if it matters to your application: Other things being equal, Integrity has interrupt latency times in a few hundred nanoseconds range, vxWorks is in 6 to 10 microseconds range and embedded Linux runs about 60 to 100 microseconds. -Piyush Weddick wrote: > Has anyone used GreenHills Integrity/Multi? How does it compare to VxWorks? > Is there a newsgroup for GreenHills? > > Thanks If performance is important, check out Sciopta (www.sciopta.com) for kernel that is assembler based - very fast and small..... "Weddick" <weddick@comcast.net> wrote in message news:9jZTb.85421$U%5.461234@attbi_s03... > Has anyone used GreenHills Integrity/Multi? How does it compare to VxWorks? > Is there a newsgroup for GreenHills? > > Thanks > > "Eric" <eriseman@comcast.net> wrote: >If performance is important, check out Sciopta (www.sciopta.com) for kernel >that is assembler based - very fast and small..... > >"Weddick" <weddick@comcast.net> wrote in message >news:9jZTb.85421$U%5.461234@attbi_s03... >> Has anyone used GreenHills Integrity/Multi? How does it compare to >VxWorks? >> Is there a newsgroup for GreenHills? >> >> Thanks >> >> > Watch out for ol Eric. He is the USA rep for sciopta, so his spammy opinion ...

vxworks
Hello all, I need to know wether it is possible to generate from matlab code an executable for vxworks operating systems. Thanks and Regards F. Capar F. Capar wrote: > > > Hello all, > > I need to know wether it is possible to generate from matlab code > an > executable for vxworks operating systems. > > Thanks and Regards > > F. Capar Yes, provided you got Real-Time Workshop/Embedded Coder See e.g.: <http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/rtw/ug/f17919.html> Regards, Ingo <http://www.ichmaschine.de> Ingo Stuermer wrote: >...

pSos vs. VxWorks
Hi, I am new to RTOSs. Could anyone explain me what are the main differences between pSos and VxWorks. How is VxWorks different from pSos? Thanks. Hello NewToVxWorks, NewToVxWorks schrieb: > I am new to RTOSs. Could anyone explain me what are the main > differences between pSos and VxWorks. > > How is VxWorks different from pSos? There is a migration package available from Windriver explaining all the stuff. Some years ago is has been free of charge on WindSurf (WindRiver support Website). In general there are only minor differences in terms of the RTOS. Hope it helps. ...

vxworks
firmware http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ firmware http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ firmware http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ firmware http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ vxworks http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ firmware http://xoomer.virgilio.it/neaz/ ...

Linux Vs vxWorks
Our company is in the process of replacing the outdated vxWorks OS. With the developments in the Linux world it is hard not to consider that when one chooses the embedded OS. I have seen some threads on this subject but they are all outdated. So please talk about your take on this subject. For this purpose, please consider the latest vxWorks offering (with kernel and user address spaces) and Linux offering from big vendors such as Monta Vista, WindRiver etc. I'm also concerned about the latency of the Real time Linux kernels. Another concerns is educating my resources who are not familiar with Linux much. Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback and time. Arun Hi Arun, Please consider following points as my personal opinion a) Regarding embedded OS. Linux is now more or less equal to vxWorks and available on all ranges of different hardware architecture. Linux is moving very fast and looking at the trend I believe WindRiver took a decision to go with Linux rather than going against it. b) Till the time you talk about soft real time it is very subjected to the context you are talking about. Linux is soft real time and vxWorks is hard real time. In soft real time you can expect a real time performance but not 100% deterministic. Soft-real time is good enough for range of application (telecom/consumer device etc); However when you need a product like robotics, Medical equipment you can't go for an option which is not deterministc. I have seen people saying tha...

vxWorks vs RTLinux
Hi, I was trying to find some articles on vxWorks vs RTLinux.I found some but not that much useful. I wanted to know how vxWorks scores over RTLinux or as such any other RTOS in the market? Considering the domination of vxWorks in RTOS market,what makes vxWorks technically better RTOS that it is much sought after? Thanks, Prathap. msprathap wrote: > Hi, > > I was trying to find some articles on vxWorks vs RTLinux.I found some but > not that much useful. > I wanted to know how vxWorks scores over RTLinux or as such any other RTOS > in the market? > Considering the dom...

Re: OS-XM-Image Reliability VS Other OS Platforms Solutions #4
We haven't had an Image structural corruption (as opposed to logical corruption due to Cobol bugs) since the 80s. Last case was a messed-up pointer before HP came out with ILR. Don't remember exactly when that was, but I do remember that we were hoping ILR would prevent future problems and kept waiting & waiting to see if there would be any. Still waiting, even though IRL is now off. Dave Powell, MMfab ----- Original Message ----- From: "Penney, John" <John.Penney@corr.ca.gov> To: <HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU> Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 14:34 S...

about VxWorks 6.4
Does VxWorks 6.4 surport multicore such as SUN SPARC architecture? If yes, how it works. When the system takes a cold reset ( e.g. power on reset ), what does the VxWorks 6.4 do? Is it different from VxWorks 5.5 during the booting time? littlemarie1985@gmail.com wrote: > Does VxWorks 6.4 surport multicore such as SUN SPARC architecture? If > yes, how it works. When the system takes a cold reset ( e.g. power on > reset ), what does the VxWorks 6.4 do? Is it different from VxWorks > 5.5 during the booting time? > No vxWorks versions up to and including vxWorks 6.4 support Sy...

Porting from VxWorks to LynxOS
I am currently involved in porting a large scale C++ VxWorks-based real-time embedded system to LynxOS. Has anybody out there lived through this? If so, can you provide any information on your experiences? I am also looking for some general information about potential pitfalls involved with porting C/C++ code, specifically for real-time embedded software. Any resources that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. ...

How to integrate gcc 3.4.4 to Tornado 2.2.1 for VxWorks 5.5.1
Hi, all. Did anybody tried to integrate the gcc 3.4.4 to Tornado 2.2.1, whose native compiler is gcc 2.96 ? I know that the gcc 3.4.4 is delivered as part of Workbench IDE with VxWorks 6.x and generally it is supported by WindRiver. If you tried and, hopefully, succeeded to integrate the compiler, please outline the procedure or, alternatively, point me to a resource explaining this issue. If you tried and not succeeded, please give me an indication - whether, in your opinion, it is possible at all. We have an application written under VxWorks 5.5.1 with Tornado 2.2.1 and now we trying to e...

Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from > Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. > Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would > like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Posting once is probably enough... There is a v2linux package by MontaVista. Googling v2linux currently turns up, "http://legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html". This is also useful if you develop/host vxWorks on a *nix machine. Instead of using the simulator, you can compile a native application using this compatibility layer. Not sure so much about going from Linux to vxWorks. There is a lot of functionality available in the bigger OSs that is not available in vxWorks. For instance, "fork", "pthreads", "mmap", etc. Genearally, you can steal routines from Linux (like libraries), but it is difficult to take an application. fwiw, Bill Pringlemeir. -- My kid had sex with your honor student. - Bumper Sticker vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html" Hi, For porting there are 3 approaches which are common in the industry. 1)Build an abstraction layer abo...

PC -> vxWorks -> vxWorks ( gate way ? )
Question: I have two vxWorks boards with board A(portA) hooked to the PC . Board A gets its vxWorks image off of the PC at boottime. Board B is hooked directly to board A(portB). Is it possible to get board B to get to the PC through board A to load the vxWorks image at boottime too? I cant seem to get it done. IPS are as follows, its a series type hook up. [ PC ] <----> [ board A ] <----> [ board B ] board A portA 192.168.31.111 -> connected directly to PC via separate switch. portB 192.169.31.112 -> connected directly to board B port B via switch board B portA 192.169.31.214 -> connected directly to board A port B via switch. (board B port A) can ping (board A port B) but not (board A port A) I would like to be able to get to the PC from board B at boottime. Thanks This will not work because both interfaces in board A are in the same subnet. If you do a routeShow you will know why. You may want to put them in different subnet (and put Board B in the same subnet as port B of Board A), and make Board A as default gateway of board B. ...

going from VxWorks 6.6 to vxWorks 6.9:
I need some clarifications, on porting of vxworks 6.9 on LPC3250, but already on the same hardware VxWorks 6.6 has been ported and the image is working fine. SO I would like to know whether do we need to do any changes in BSP for porting of VxWorks 6.9 on the same hardware. I had worked on vxWorks 2.2(year 2005)a long time back. now We will be working vxworks 6.9, for the hardware on which vxworks 6.6 has been ported already. Please guide me. Thanks in advance. Shivakrishna ...

4-port SATA RAID
Greetings, I'm currently in the market for a 4-drive SATA controller. Anyone have any especially good or bad experiences or, even better, comparisons between the 3ware 8506-4LP, Adaptec 2410SA, or LSI MegaRAID 150-4? Benchmarks and other alternatives especially welcome. My primary concerns are operation under Linux, and all of them seem to be very well supported, and reliability. As of now, other than the slightly lower price of the LSI, I'm not seeing any reason to choose one over any other. I plan to fill in this chart as I get information: http://moore.cx/experie...

Using visionClick to debug standalone VxWorks images (vxWorks.st)
Hi, I had a question regarding debugging standalone VxWorks images using vision probe. The file usrConfig.c is copied into usrConfig_st.c; compiled to give usrConfig_st.o and the c file later deleted. This object file goes into the partial build of VxWorks.st. The important BSP functions like usrInit and usrRoot are in this file. When using the source browser in VisionClick, it does not resolve these functions since the associated c file (usrConfig_st.c) is not available after the build. I was wondering if anyone had found a way around it (apart from modifying the build rules) Thanks in ...

Booting PC with VxWorks OS
Hi everybody, I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as target and do the stuff. Can anybody tell step by step procedure - how to boot PC with Vxworks OS. thanks kalaimaran wrote: > Hi everybody, > > I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on > target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as > target and do the stuff. > > Can anybody tell step by step procedure - how to boot PC with Vxworks > OS. > > thanks If you r...

why cann't i build my application into vxworks or vxworks.st?
I have include EXTRA_MODULE :test.0. but I cann't find my test application when vxworks run on my pentium machine. And I find tornado IDE cann't build vxworks.st in the project folder. Can anyone help me? THANKS Hello, > I have include EXTRA_MODULE :test.0. Possibly just a typo, but the macro is EXTRA_MODULES (i.e. ends in an 'S'), and the .O should probably be a .o (i.e. lower case). Of course, on a Windoze box, the .O will be treated the same anyway, so this is perhaps unimportant (depending on whether you are using a real OS for development, or Windoze). > but I c...

Web resources about - vxworks vs lynxos 4 - comp.os.vxworks

VxWorks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... sources, or by checking whether the references meet the criteria for reliable sources. Unreliable citations may be challenged or deleted. VxWorks ...

Wind River Opens IoT Marketplace for VxWorks OS
The Intel subsidiary says the online store will give customers a central place to find IoT offerings from third-party vendors.

Wind River outfits VxWorks for 'Internet of things'
Wind River Systems has updated its widely used VxWorks embedded RTOS (real-time operating system) to make it ready for use on impending "Internet ...

Wind River outfits VxWorks for 'Internet of things'
Wind River Systems has updated its widely used VxWorks embedded RTOS (real-time operating system) to make it ready for use on impending “Internet ...

Wind River Introduces Industry Profiles for Next-Generation VxWorks Real-Time Operating System - SYS-CON ...
... NJ, The world's leading i-technology media company on breaking technology news. real-time operating system (RTOS). The profiles enrich VxWorks ...

Wind River VxWorks patches some TCP sequence spoofing bugs
1995 called, wants its vulnerability back Intel-owned embedded software outfit Wind River has been caught with an embarrassing bug in its VxWorks ...

C - Skills - LinkedIn
See top C professionals, groups, and related job openings.

Use Connected Community's Advanced Search to find a Connected Community partner across a whole range of solutions

QuickSec/IPsec Client Toolkit
QuickSec/IPsec Client Toolkit, security software, VPN security, SSL, packet engine, packet engines, TRNG, TRNGs, true random number generator, ...