vxworks vs lynxos 4

Hi,

At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.

lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.

Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed choice?

Thanks


0
spam40 (680)
10/2/2003 8:45:47 PM
comp.os.vxworks 5932 articles. 6 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

4 Replies
303 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4
I worked for Wind from 1998 to 2002, I worked with vxWorks from 1989. I 
have worked with LynxOS since 3/2003.

My main observation would be that the cycle time for our LynxOS project 
is much greater than it was for any vxWorks project. In vxWorks if I 
modified a driver then I'd make in the top level directory and boot my 
target, a minute later my new software is working (well, at lest on the 
machine and trying, we all make mistakes). When I rebuild this system my 
main build environment is Win2k but I need to rebuild the LynxOS to 
include the new drivers. We often modify structures that map to both and 
have to rebuild everything. With ftping software and rebuilding in 
several directories then ftping in the applications it takes an hour or 
so to wind the handle on this system. If it had been done differently 
then perhaps it could be quicker, but I miss the comparatively fast 
reboots on vxWorks.

I miss the debugger and WindView too.

We have had issues with LynxOS that were solved with a huge patch too, 
that was not as forthcoming as I would have expected from Wind. Wind 
tends to air its dirty washing in public, you can browse patches and see 
if any of them address your areas of concern.

LynxOS employs a number of former Wind people, they would know all about 
things Wind has done wrong. I don't believe Wind has the same benefit. 
Having said that I am not personally aware of projects that have failed 
because of the choice of vxWorks, which doesn't mean there aren't any. 
WinCE was certainly known for crashing a few companies who couldn't make 
it work on their hardware.

The big downer for vxWorks used to be availability of the source, but if 
what I heard recently is correct then the source is now very affordable. 
Rebuilding the entire source on a Solaris box was just a case of going 
to the top of the tree and typing (for example)

make CPU=PENTIUM4 TOOL=gnu

If you modify a bit of the o/s you only need to make in that directory.

We are having issues getting a coherent build and target between several 
developers and their target systems.

I can't see any great advantage of LynxOS over Linux, the disadvantage 
is that they have less that 1% of the developers and they don't make the 
source readily available.

To be fair to LynxOS to rebuild the kernel on a target you do this:

cd /sys/lynx.os
touch CONFIG.TBL
make install

You may also have to make all in sys/devices.

Given my current issues; if we were in the market for an OS I'd be 
looking forward to giving the WR sales folks a hell of a hard time on 
price, and failing that I'd be looking at Linux or BSD (which has much 
better licensing from a commercial perspective). If you aren't a good 
negotiator you can end up getting a less than sweetheart deal on target 
licenses from any commercial vendor.

Wind need to pull their finger out on the device driver front, but their 
device drivers are relatively easy to write and there is a reasonable 
course.

vxWorks isn't ideal, I have little use for Tornado in day to day use, 
but they still suck less. Their support isn't what it once was, but then 
I know my way round the source tree from a year in major account support 
and four in services, so there aren't a lot of questions you can't 
answer with the source.

Wind's editor sucks, I don't know why they even bother. Visual Slick 
Edit is a lot better. VSE is also more capable than MS VDS which Lynx 
interfaces to. My main complaint is that the cross referencing in VDS 
depends on being able to compile the code, VSE will browse stuff that 
won't compile. With vxWorks I'd edit in VSE if I had it or Emacs if I 
didn't. Tornado can call out to other editors, but the link isn't great. 
I didn't work with Wind's latest and greatest Tornado, so I don't know 
if the latest IDE ever saw the light of day.

Summary... LynxOS wouldn't be top of my list.

I don't think I've said anything actionable, so I better stop now.

Chris
Speaking for myself alone, certainly not for my employer who may have 
very good reasons for not agreeing with me at all :-)

Zaa wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
> 
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
> 
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed choice?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> VxWorks Users Group mailing list
> VxWexplo@lbl.gov
> http://www-csg.lbl.gov/vxworks/
> 

0
chann94501 (45)
10/2/2003 9:53:24 PM
Thanks for this very interesting reply !!!!

LC

"Chris Hann" <chann94501@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de
news:mailman.62.1065131619.1533.vxwexplo@csg.lbl.gov...
> I worked for Wind from 1998 to 2002, I worked with vxWorks from 1989. I
> have worked with LynxOS since 3/2003.
>
> My main observation would be that the cycle time for our LynxOS project
> is much greater than it was for any vxWorks project. In vxWorks if I
> modified a driver then I'd make in the top level directory and boot my
> target, a minute later my new software is working (well, at lest on the
> machine and trying, we all make mistakes). When I rebuild this system my
> main build environment is Win2k but I need to rebuild the LynxOS to
> include the new drivers. We often modify structures that map to both and
> have to rebuild everything. With ftping software and rebuilding in
> several directories then ftping in the applications it takes an hour or
> so to wind the handle on this system. If it had been done differently
> then perhaps it could be quicker, but I miss the comparatively fast
> reboots on vxWorks.
>
> I miss the debugger and WindView too.
>
> We have had issues with LynxOS that were solved with a huge patch too,
> that was not as forthcoming as I would have expected from Wind. Wind
> tends to air its dirty washing in public, you can browse patches and see
> if any of them address your areas of concern.
>
> LynxOS employs a number of former Wind people, they would know all about
> things Wind has done wrong. I don't believe Wind has the same benefit.
> Having said that I am not personally aware of projects that have failed
> because of the choice of vxWorks, which doesn't mean there aren't any.
> WinCE was certainly known for crashing a few companies who couldn't make
> it work on their hardware.
>
> The big downer for vxWorks used to be availability of the source, but if
> what I heard recently is correct then the source is now very affordable.
> Rebuilding the entire source on a Solaris box was just a case of going
> to the top of the tree and typing (for example)
>
> make CPU=PENTIUM4 TOOL=gnu
>
> If you modify a bit of the o/s you only need to make in that directory.
>
> We are having issues getting a coherent build and target between several
> developers and their target systems.
>
> I can't see any great advantage of LynxOS over Linux, the disadvantage
> is that they have less that 1% of the developers and they don't make the
> source readily available.
>
> To be fair to LynxOS to rebuild the kernel on a target you do this:
>
> cd /sys/lynx.os
> touch CONFIG.TBL
> make install
>
> You may also have to make all in sys/devices.
>
> Given my current issues; if we were in the market for an OS I'd be
> looking forward to giving the WR sales folks a hell of a hard time on
> price, and failing that I'd be looking at Linux or BSD (which has much
> better licensing from a commercial perspective). If you aren't a good
> negotiator you can end up getting a less than sweetheart deal on target
> licenses from any commercial vendor.
>
> Wind need to pull their finger out on the device driver front, but their
> device drivers are relatively easy to write and there is a reasonable
> course.
>
> vxWorks isn't ideal, I have little use for Tornado in day to day use,
> but they still suck less. Their support isn't what it once was, but then
> I know my way round the source tree from a year in major account support
> and four in services, so there aren't a lot of questions you can't
> answer with the source.
>
> Wind's editor sucks, I don't know why they even bother. Visual Slick
> Edit is a lot better. VSE is also more capable than MS VDS which Lynx
> interfaces to. My main complaint is that the cross referencing in VDS
> depends on being able to compile the code, VSE will browse stuff that
> won't compile. With vxWorks I'd edit in VSE if I had it or Emacs if I
> didn't. Tornado can call out to other editors, but the link isn't great.
> I didn't work with Wind's latest and greatest Tornado, so I don't know
> if the latest IDE ever saw the light of day.
>
> Summary... LynxOS wouldn't be top of my list.
>
> I don't think I've said anything actionable, so I better stop now.
>
> Chris
> Speaking for myself alone, certainly not for my employer who may have
> very good reasons for not agreeing with me at all :-)
>
> Zaa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> > Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
> >
> > lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on
vxworks.
> >
> > Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed
choice?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > VxWorks Users Group mailing list
> > VxWexplo@lbl.gov
> > http://www-csg.lbl.gov/vxworks/
> >
>


0
me677 (5)
10/3/2003 7:46:28 AM
I use both.  If OS's are cars, then I consider VxWorks my Chevy and LynxOS
my Mercedes.
I drive the Mercedes as much as possible!

"Zaa" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:EPWdnd0vXIjiE-GiU-KYjQ@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
>
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
>
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed
choice?
>
> Thanks
>
>


0
10/20/2003 4:31:47 PM
I use both.  If OS's are cars, then I consider VxWorks my Chevy and LynxOS
my Mercedes.
I drive the Mercedes as much as possible!
If you need it, LOS tech support is first class!

"Zaa" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:EPWdnd0vXIjiE-GiU-KYjQ@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> At my company we are deciding between vxworks and lynx os 4.0.
> Our App is going to do sockets and a couple of threads with a semaphore.
>
> lynx os's web site says there are lots of projects that failed on vxworks.
>
> Are there any skelitons in lynx os's closet  to make a more informed
choice?
>
> Thanks
>
>



0
10/20/2003 4:35:32 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

Questions from a VS 2008 Newbie
Hello folks: I'm developing in C++. I finally dragged myself into the 21st Century, by removing VC6 and installing VS 2008. While I'm still trying to process what I've seen in the Guided Tour tutorial, several questions are nagging me. Can the source files be presented as overlapped windows, so more than one file is visible at a time? From what I've seen it looks like only one source is visible. The tutorial showed the inclusion of a header (.h) file in a project, but I have some header files I'd like included in every project, with...

Re: PROC GLM's "Class" statement (vs. using dummy coding for qual variables)
Hi John et al - the quick answer is "yes" - the class statement tells it to do dummy coding for you. As to why they're different - what is your reference group? ie if you have male/female, are you calling male "1" and female "0" and the computer the reverse? similarly with a 3 level variable - maybe you're coding dummy variables for the last two levels, and the computer is doing it for the first two levels. I think when you get down into the nitty gritty of what it's actually telling you, they're the same. Might post some output here if you'r...

VxWorks
Hi All, How to create a RAW socket in VxWorks which will send packets based on the MAC address of the required machine. Is there a saperate socket address structure which will specify the source and destination MAC address. Any help will be of greate help. ...

iTunes 4.1.1 for windows burning issue.
I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this, if it isn't and you can direct me to a better group that would be great too. I have an internal DVD Burner installed on my system. It works because I can burn fine using the supplied software (InstantCD+DVD). When I try to burn a playlist in iTunes I get the message `Disc Burner or Software not found.' The iTunes help files keep talking about a list of supported drives, but I can never find it. My question (hopes really) is in the software part of the string. Is there a program out there that will let my burner work with iTunes...

ANN: Leo 4.4a4 released
Leo 4.4 alpha 4 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458&package_id=29106 To learn about Leo see http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html Leo 4.4 a4 redraws the screen more quickly, corrects numerous bugs in the 4.4 code base, and introduces several new features. You should be able to use this version safely. There are no known serious bugs, but several minibuffer commands are not ready for prime time. All the major features of 4.4 are in place. The highlights of Leo 4.4: --------------------------------...

structure assignment vs memcpy
Suppose I need to assign one structure to another. Should each member of the structure be assigned individually or can memcpy be used ? Since the compiler can add padding bytes, which approach is always safer ? subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote: > Suppose I need to assign one structure to another. > Should each member of the structure be assigned individually or can > memcpy be used ? > > Since the compiler can add padding bytes, which approach is always > safer ? Simply assign one object to another with the assignment operator. Structure assignments have been suppo...

SSH1 vs. SSH2
I am in QA attempting to test our SW's connectivity from server to client. We are supporting SSH1 and SSH2 as configurable options. According to one of our developers, if the user selects SSH1 and the client is using an SSH2 server, SSH1 will still be supported as well in order to achieve backward compatibility. However, the server is NOT able to connect to the client and the message I receive is that the server does not support SSH1. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am new to SSH. I would appreciate any positive insight into the issue. http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general-d...

Re: wizard sees sheet of an excel but does not import it #4
If you have many sheets(workbooks) that you suspect may have similar problems that you are experiencing then perhaps you could use DDE to copy and rename the sheets. Or otherwise condition them such that they become suitable to import using PROC IMPORT. If may not be all that difficult to write such a program once you determine the "conditioning" steps. You can find examples on SAS-L and there are many SUG papers that I have found very useful in my DDE attempts. On 9/20/06, toby989@hotpop.com <toby989@hotpop.com> wrote: > Yes I have, and it worked. However, I want to imp...

=?windows-1256?B?4+HdIOHM48fh39zcIOPkINXk2iDtz+3c3CDh4cjkx8og5uHh1MjHyCDI2s/c3CAoKN/hIOPHIMrN4ePm5CDI5SDKzM/m5OUg5eTHKSlmb3IgeW91ciBiZXV0eQ==?= #2
4+HdIOHM48fh39zcIOPkINXk2iDtz+3c3CDh4cjkx8og5uHh1MjHyCDI2s/c3CAoKN/hIOPHIMrN 4ePm5CDI5QrKzM/m5OUg5eTHKSlmb3IgeW91ciBiZXV0eQoK3+Eg48cg7c7VIMfhzOPH4SAuLubj 5CDOyNHHyuwg5s/Rx9PK7CDh2sfh4yDH4czjx+Eg5sfhyszj7eEKCubW2sog4d/jIN3tIOXQxyDH 4ePh3SAuLuHfIObh5ccuLuHf4SDdysfJIObf4SDH49HHyQoKx+Hh2uTH7ckgyMfhyNTRySAsLObH 4dTa0Sws4eHj0cfJIMjazyDh5uHHz8ksLOHh3crHySDH4ePeyOHJINrh7QrH4dLmx8wKCuHh49HH ySDm4eHRzOEgLi7HyuPk7SDh3+Mgx+HH3cfPyQoK5s/a5srf4yDh7QoKaHR0cDovL3d3dy5hN2xh bWVlLmNvbS92Yi9zaG93dGhyZWFkLnBocD9wPTEzOTc1NSNwb3N0MTM5NzU1Cg== ...

Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from > Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. > Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would > like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Posting once is probably enough... There is a v2linux packa...

Dr. Dobb's Python-URL!
QOTW: "Don't be too sure that it's compatible for the indefinite future. XML is just as future-proof as any other format." - Sybren Stuvel "Submitting a proposed change or fix [of the Python docs] is easier and quicker than arguing about it on c.l.py and it seems to get pretty quickly to the actual document maintainers." - Kent Johnson Still struggling with recursion? comp.lang.python is newbie-friendly: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/2ca81c529b485f89/cf531016b54d0ca1?tvc=1 An interview with Michael Foord, au...

Newbie whant help on config of FreeBSD 4.9 firewall with ipfw2
Hey *nix Guru�s Is there a kind soul there is willing to help me on this projekt i have build a firewall with 7 nics "explanation can bee given but will fill to much here" here is the setup i want first i got a hardware firewall netscreen with xxx.xxx.xxx.134 outside and on the inside there is 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.65.0 all trafik to bsdwall 192.168.1.2 interfaces fxp0 =WAN (192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.1.1) fxp1 =LAN1 (192.168.10.1 mask 255.255.255.0) (my kids machines and other machines non trusted) xl0 =LAN2 (19...

REQ: Cisco VxWorks Image AP1200v1203T
w�re jemand so net mir das vxworks image hochzuladen. auf der cisco-website ist es leider nicht mehr herunterladbar. die neueren versionen helfen mir leider nicht weiter, abw�rts bis 11.57 w�re ok. TIA ...

Re: simulation for bit error rate vs Eb / No
iam a student and wcdma technology has exited me a lot. So i request u all whoever sir does have this particular code please give an idea how should do this calculation to calculate BER.So please help me out for this particular technology and could give me the source code or links for above details Thank you habeeb ...

Re: cobol #4
Use the INTEGER-OF-DATE and DATE-OF-INTEGER functions. See: http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/doc3k/B3150090013.11820/125 Kent Wallace Boise, ID >>> saurabh <jsaurabh@PUN.COGNIZANT.COM> 09/22/04 09:48AM >>> hi Does there is some function in the cobol which can be used to increment the date one by one. for eg . i have a start date and an end date and i want to do start from the start date and by going day by day want to end the processing at end date.So is there any function. Can anyone help me for this. Thanks Saurabh * To join/leave the list, search a...

Re: Bug 1+4/10 #4
On 7/8/11 at 4:50 AM, human@site.pl (slawek) wrote: >U=C2=BFytkownik "Oleksandr Rasputinov" napisa=C2=B3 w wiadomo=C2=B6ci grup >dyskusyjnych:iv456e$eop$1@smc.vnet.net... >>Proper treatment of inexact numbers requires at least some care and >There is no "inexact numbers". There are only inexact computations >and/or measurements. >3.14 is an approximation of pi, but it is exactly 3+1/10+4/100 Quite simply, on any modern computer using floating point arithmetic it is not true that 3.14 is exactly 3+1/10+4/100. Floating point arithmetic...

Weird "/usr/bin/test" behavior in HP-UX vs IBM AIX
I am working on a script that will be used on IBM AIX and HP-UX machines and I have encountered a little "weirdness" with the output of the command /usr/bin/test on HP-UX Here is the command run on IBM AIX: [blefebvre@aix.server (/home/blefebvre)]: test "2614001721510" -gt "261200170001" ; echo $? 0 Here is the same command run on HP-UX: hpux.server:blefebvre:/home/blefebvre > test "2614001721510" -gt "261200170001" ; echo $? 1 The number 2614001721510 is definitively greater than the number 261200170001. Can it be an erro...

NIM making a aix 4.3.3. lpp_source and spot on nim server aix5.2
Hello, I am trying to make an aix4.3.3. lpp_source and spot on aix5.2-TL8-SP2 nim server. This should be possible, but i get problems right from the start. When i try to make the lpp_source (with as source a directory with cdroms from IBM aix 4.3.3 date 10/2000) i get warnings of missing filesets (bos.mp etc etc). The problem is that aix 4.3.3 cdroms have a different cdrom layout then cdroms AIX5L. The AIX5L cdroms have 1 directory more then the aix 4.3.3 . (This dir. is installp/ppc). Aix 4.3.3 uses /usr/sys/inst.images as the source for all the filesets. I made a link from installp/ppc to...

Sets
Hello All: What is the difference between these two. Is there any site that can show me the contrast and similarities between both of these? I have a couple of begginer books that make no reference on this issue. Please help. Thanks in advance. Sonoman Sonoman <fcarpio@REMOVEspunge.org> wrote in message news:2OFWa.22896$5O3.21224@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com... > Hello All: > What is the difference between these two. The standard library features a container type called 'std::list'. The same is not true of 'bit array' (perhaps you meant something else?) >Is t...

Cisco vs 3rd-party DRAM
Does anyone have an opinions or best practices on buying DRAM for Cisco devices? I'm not talking about the rock-bottom-priced stuff from Taiwan or China. I always go with Kingston, Samsung, Viking, etc. I can't justify paying 2,370% more for Cisco RAM than the same stuff I'd get from Kingston (comparing the price difference between Kingston and Cisco for 1GB to max out a 2821). Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? I've never had any trouble with TAC with regards to memory. Has anyone else? I liken buying RAM from Cisco to buying RAM from Sun. You just don't...

Bit Manipulation #4
HI, I'm an hardware designer that HAS to define the software structure for accessing "my" hardware, so please be patient with me. Let me put my problem first: I have "a lot" of "hardware" variables that are non-standard size (like one, two, seven and so on - bits). What is the best way to work with them? They MUST be "composed" into 32-bit words before writing them into the hardware. Now let me go a little bit more specific: My first hint was to use a structure of bit-field, but I have some questions that could not find an answer: 1- Due to porta...

Real Video 4.0 (RV40)
I tried to play a .ram video using RealPlayer and it said that it needs RV40 software to play it. It (RealPlayer) tried to search for the software but basically said it didn't exist. Does anyone know how I can get RV40? I assume it's a codec, is that correct? ...

13W3 vs. VGA
If I should decide to put a monitor on my Ultra 10, I have two options: - remove the frame buffer and use the VGA port with a PC monitor. - get a 13W3 to VGA converter and use the same monitor. What advantage is there, if any, of using the frame buffer? I've already tried out the monitor on the VGA port and was surprised at the quality of the fonts during boot. Nothing spectacular about the appearance of window frames and such, though. -- Wes Groleau Curmudgeon's Complaints on Courtesy: http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html On 2009-07-11, Wes Groleau <g...

Re: HP 3000, 922LX
If it's a SCSI connection then you should be able to find an SE drive somewhere. I can help you with that. However, as I remember more now, (insert coffee :-),) my 922 had 4 HP-IB disk drives. Big heavy low-capacity things they were. If this is the case, you will need to go to garage sales. Denys -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of Johnson, Tracy Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 8:51 AM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] HP 3000, 922LX - LDEV 1 Importance: Low I guess I'll have to...

Western Digital MyBook Essential Edition 500GB (USB) vs. Seagate FreeAgent 500GB (USB)
My two cents - WD: (not the Essential Edition 2.0) Disk model: WD5000AAJB (8MB cache, PATA?) Format: FAT32 1 year warranty (extend for 2 additional years for an additional $25) Ventilation via convection holes on top and rear and bottom (but no fan) On/Off switch with LED circle (in addition to Auto power management) on front. Don't turn it off accidentally while writing :) Additional LED on power supply My test under Win XP- Sequential Read: 29 MBytes/sec Sequential Write: 18 MBytes/sec Paid $130 (Staples, 9/2007) Seagate: Disk model: ST3500830AS (8MB cache, SATA?)...