Writing a PCI card driver

hi i am  new to vxworks and device  driver programming.i am asked to
write a driver for a  pci card plx9050.what i understood from reading
docs and web page searches including this forum is :
pci devices are configured to query about IRQ lines , memory mappings
etc..
and vxworks provides pciAutiCinfig facility to be done automatically.
but i am clueless as to what to be done before autoconfig and after
auto config.

any help is greatly appreciated and hope to be recirpocated too :)

regards.
Ramakrishnaprasad.A

comp.os.vxworks 5933 articles. 0 followers. motamedi24 (67) is leader. Post Follow

Writing a PCI card driver
hi i am new to vxworks and device driver programming.i am asked to write a driver for a pci card plx9050.what i understood from reading docs and web page searches including this forum is : pci devices are configured to query about IRQ lines , memory mappings etc.. and vxworks provides pciAutiCinfig facility to be done automatically. but i am clueless as to what to be done before autoconfig and after auto config. any help is greatly appreciated and hope to be recirpocated too :) regards. Ramakrishnaprasad.A ...

Installing drivers for PCI card with same signature for more than 1 card in windows-xp
Hi All, I have developed drivers for PCI card in windows-xp.I am able to install for 1 PCI card , but i am unable to install for second card with same signature (VendorId and DeviceId ).How can i change the installation inf file. Please help me regarding this issue. Thanks in advance. mahi wrote: > Hi All, > > I have developed drivers for PCI card in windows-xp.I am able to > install for 1 PCI card , but i am unable to install for second card > with same signature (VendorId and DeviceId ).How can i change the > installation inf file. > > Please help me regarding ...

Porting drivers for PCI card to single board chips connected by PCI bus?
HI all, I'm new in the PCI world, as well as linux kernel. Here are my questions: two same chips, one is on a PCI card, the other is on a single board connected by the PCI bus. what is the difference between the drivers for them? How big? How about porting one to the other? the Sea wrote: > HI all, I'm new in the PCI world, as well as linux kernel. > Here are my questions: > two same chips, one is on a PCI card, the other is on a single board > connected by the PCI bus. what is the difference between the drivers > for them? How big? How about porting one...

How to write pci driver.
Hi, I will write a PCI bus driver based on MIPS platform. I have already write the PCI Local Bus Specification.But I still do not know how to start. Can anyone give me some information about how to write PCI Bus driver? Such as website, document, or your own experiences. Thanks you. ...

writing a pci bus driver
hi all, i am new to writing a pci driver on vxworks.im stuck at "howto start" itself as far as codingis considered.i mean im unable to know how to use the interfaces though many are saying it is quite easy in vxworks.so can any of you please teach me the "starting steps" in writing a pci driver? thanks in advance, Ramakrishnaprasad.A You may need to probe the device to find out whether it supports IO/Memory mapped ( pciLib). Probe and findout where it got mapped. You may need to read BAR0 and BAR1 registers in PCI configuration space. Then add those memory regions to you...

PCI Card+ RTAI driver
I have a PCI CARD with a controler and i have to make a realtime driver using RTAI functions.This PCI Card have a 1MB RAM and i have to send 64X32 bits when a interrupt is occure.I need just to read/write data to/from that PCI Card. Can anyone tell me how to do that?Can you give me some examples? Comedi can help me ? ...

PCI driver for DIOT card
Hi all, I am new to devicedriver.I wanted to write a driver for a PCI-DIO Timer card. When i checked the header space,the value of interrupt pin is "a" and line is zero. can i able to generate interrupts using this card,and can anybody suggest some applications of this card,so that i can implement it. The card has got 2 8255 interfaces and a 8253 timer. regards raj ...

PCI Card+ RTAI driver
I have a PCI CARD with a controler and i have to make a realtime driver using RTAI functions.This PCI Card have a 1MB RAM and i have to send 64X32 bits when a interrupt is occure.I need just to read/write data to/from that PCI Card. Can anyone tell me how to do that?Can you give me some examples? Comedi can help me ? ...

PCI card driver developement
Hi All, I am writing a driver for a PCI-ATA card. I am in a midway of developement. The Hard Disk is yet not mounted, but is connected to the hardware. My driver is present in the system which can handle Read Sector requests coming from the client. I have an application that request the driver for data from particular sector,cylinder and head. I am unable to understand if i can get the data (in ASCII) format from the driver if my HardDisk is not loaded. And will the data be a valid data. Regards, Vikrant. vicks <vikrant.shahir@gmail.com> wrote: > I am unable to...

PCI or PCI-X cards in PCI Express slots
Do the new G5s with PCI Express accept PCI or PCI-X cards? I don't know if I will be able to use my old cards (adaptec 29160 and Sonnet Allegro FW800) Thanks for your guidance Galerada wrote: > Do the new G5s with PCI Express accept PCI or PCI-X cards? I don't know > if I will be able to use my old cards (adaptec 29160 and Sonnet Allegro > FW800) No, they are not compatible. dale -- dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au Thanks for the info, Dale. In article <MrNoSpam-E6DC27.06472922102005@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net...

looking for driver for PCI card for AIX
I want to have a video card working. It's an older card and if I run cfgmgr I get the message to install the package: "devices.pci.3353b088" I think this one is delivered with AIX version 4.1.3 or 4.1.5 I hope someone can provide me this package. My mail address is miel.vriens@nl.consafelogistics.com thanx in advance. Miel > ..."devices.pci.3353b088" > I think this one is delivered with AIX version 4.1.3 or 4.1.5 > I hope someone can provide me this package. > My mail address is <snip> Take a look into your Mailbox ;-) -- Uli (Reply to ulrich...

how to write a driver for a PCI (Xpress) bridge?
Hello, I need to write a PCI driver, for a PCI Xpress bridge. My bridge is not "transparent", it uses space after address in BAR0, to implement some non-standard functionality. The problem is, my .probe method does not get called. I guess this is because, a driver that is built in the kernel already, "pcieport-driver" has already probed the bridge and a device does not get probed twice. Is this correct? If so, then this is really strange - I can't write a driver for a PCI bridge, without modifying and rolling my own kernel???? This can't be so - can so...

writing pci device drivers in minix
Hi all..... I am new to this group and for my project i am writing a pci device drivers in minix for powerpc 405/440 .so i will be thankful if any one help me in this regard and for any tips or suggestions..........plz help me..........hoping for a positive reply......... $@! $@! <just4usai@gmail.com> wrote: > I am new to this group and for my project i am writing a pci device > drivers in minix for powerpc 405/440 .so i will be thankful if any one > help me in this regard and for any tips or suggestions..........plz In a recent post Alvin Beach replied to a similar question...

Wanted: Drivers for PCI SCSI-cards
In the lists of drivers for both the Mediator 1200-board and the GRex-busboards are consistently only gfx, mpeg, sound, TV, and USB-cards mentioned. Did anyone develop a driver for a SCSI-card, like the famous "Adaptec 2940"-controller? With opensource Linux supporting these cards, the hardware-access to it should be no secret. Do USB-to-SCSI adaptors work as normal USB drives? Can they be used with the Amiga USB-cards and Poseidon? found this adaptor: http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/BF-660.html How do Pegasos-users solve the problem? Are they ALL SC...

Printer port PCI card driver
Hi all, I already installed a 2 x port parallel printer PCI card in a Windows 2000 machine which works fine. Now wish to transfer this card to a new Windows Xp Pro machine, but, of course, the original installation diskette/CD has been mislaid. WXP detects the PCI card and looks for a driver. Have tried scanning the Internet but to no avail. The board was manufactured in Taiwan but there are no identifying model numbers apart from a Ultra2 chipset. Does anyone have any ideas how a generic driver could be found on the net, or the card could be installed using the driver on the...

Help: how to write a graphics card driver
Can someone point me to documentation on how to write a graphics card driver for OS X? I searched developers.apple.com , but could not find the right thing. I would like to write a program that uses the screen of a laptop as a second screen of a desktop machine. Many of us have laptops sitting next to their desktop computer, so it would be nice to use them as a second screen for free. In order to achieve this, I need to write a driver that tells OS X that a second screen was connected to the machine. That driver then will collect the drawing commands that are sent to it b...

How to modify NI PCI-6024 xPC driver to NI PCI-6221 xPC driver
We have National instruments PCI-6221, but it is not supported by our xPC taget toolbox. Our xPC taget toolbox be supporting NI PCI-6023, 6024, 6025, 6031, 6052, 6071. So we have to modify above driver to PCI-6221 xPC driver. We want to use A/D, D/A converter on PCI-card. Could someone help our ? About how to modify to NI PCI-6221 xPC driver. The PCI-6221 and other M-series cards are based on a much different technology than the older E-series. National Instruments has not published the register level API, so there's no way to know what registers to write to in order to use the card with...

[Grub] 1 PCI IDE card = boot... 2 PCI IDE cards = no boot
Hi all, I must be missing something simple. With with the regular /dev/hda hard drive, my computer boots fine. With a single extra Sil680 PCI IDE controller w/2 drives attached, it also boots fine (and Linux can see the drives and mount - still booting from /dev/hda). With a second controller added with no drives, it also boots fine. But as soon as I add one or two drives to the second controller, it halts on boot with this message: GRUB loading stage 1.5 GRUB loading, please wait... GRUB ....so I never even get the boot grub menu where you pick your kernel ...

PLX PCI card with HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge
Hi All, I received PLX PCI card with HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge- non-transparent mode. I need to program this in Linux to access the devices sitting other side of the bridge. I'm curious to know what would be the best approach. Do I need to write a driver to program the bridge, or are there any simple method? I checked in PLX site, did not find any driver. Appreciate your comments. Thanks, ren ...

PCI driver writing for Mac OS 9
Hello there, I need to get started with writing PCI drivers for Mac OS 9. I am a complete novice with Mac and do not know from where to start. I have written drivers on Linux though. I would appreciate if I could get some pointers for developing PCI or generic driver writing on Mac OS 9. Any input on this is appreciated. Regards, DB DB <bhatdinu13@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to get started with writing PCI drivers for Mac OS 9. I am a > complete novice with Mac and do not know from where to start. I have > written drivers on Linux though. I would appreciat...

NEC uPD720100 PCI-to-USB card driver, How to?
hi, Inserted the card to my PC(Radhat 9.0), can read my USB disk. So, I want to ask: 1. make USB disk readable which inserted in this card, just usbcore.o, ehci-hcd.o, usb-storage.o depended ? 2. what sources I should compile for a xscale architecture to make USB disk readable inserted in this card ? thanks! ...

PCI Driver
Hey everyone, I am trying to read and write to a PCI Base Address. Right now, I have: static int rpm_probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id) { pci_enable_device(dev); u32 BaseAddress0; pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_BASE_ADDRESS_0, &BaseAddress0); printk(KERN_ALERT "PCI_BASE_ADDRESS_0: %x\n", BaseAddress0); } To read/write to that particular base address, do we just need to add the following lines: u32 BaseAddress0data; pci_read_config_dword(dev, BaseAddress0, &BaseAddress0data); pci_write_config_dword(dev, BaseAddress0, ...

Linux Device Drivers for custom PCI cards
Looking for a Linux device driver tool to make drivers for custom PCI cards. I heard that Univ. of Indiana had written code for a universal PCI driver, but I have not been able to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Craig Craig wrote: > Looking for a Linux device driver tool to make drivers for custom PCI > cards. > > I heard that Univ. of Indiana had written code for a universal PCI driver, > but I have not been able to find it. > > Any help would be appreciated. Some places to look at: <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive/> <http://en...

Need Help to write a PCI device driver!
Hi friends, I'm trying to develop PCI driver for a PCI Timer card for a Pentium machine. The OS is Vxworks. DP8570A is the timer ic in the PCI card. All registers were mapped to the PCI bus. Since i'm new to PCI drivers in the Vxworks, i expect some help from the group members. The card is getting detected using pciFindDevice(). But i'm not getting how to proceed further. I'm not seeing any PCI driver template in the Tornado installation directory. My doubts are 1.pciFindDevice() returns a base address as 0xCF8, what is this address? 2.What pciDevConfig()does? Whethe...

how to write a ATA driver for Compactflash card in vxworks?
HI, ours' hardware description: I directly connect the Compactflash Card to the Host bus but not use PCMCIA adapter or IDE adapter. need, Is there any documentation about how to write a ATA driver in vxworks? and ours' system need to support hot Plug and Play. ...