Child Process Exited while Making Connection to Remote Process

I'm a relative newcomer to MPI.  For my class project for my Computer
Networks class I'm running a Phylogenetic Analysis program that splits
the work out to several different processes, and I'm doing it with MPI
to get the parallelism.  After writing my code I tried it on an input
that should only require one additional processor, so I ran it with
just four processors at its disposal.

However, I got the output listed below.  Does anybody know what this
means?  I'd include my source code but it's fairly large.  I'm cur-
rently trying to capture the problem in a smaller section of code, and
will post that to this newsgroup as soon as I get it.

---thanks,
Kevin Simonson

"You'll never get to heaven, or even to LA,
if you don't believe there's a way."
from Why Not

tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$ make ParRid3
cp ParRid3.Si ParRid3.c
~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/bin/mpicc
-I~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/mpe/include -c ParRid3.c
~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/bin/mpicc -o ParRid3 ParRid3.o -lmpe -lm
tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$ mpirun -machinefile machines.LINUX -np 4
ParRid3
rm_6554:  p4_error: interrupt SIGSEGV: 11
p0_5980:  p4_error: Child process exited while making connection to
remote process on apple.cs.byu.edu: 0
tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$

2
kvnsmnsn (150)
12/14/2004 11:15:54 PM
comp.parallel.mpi 1534 articles. 0 followers. kisitanggang (69) is leader. Post Follow

kvnsmnsn@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm a relative newcomer to MPI.  For my class project for my Computer
> Networks class I'm running a Phylogenetic Analysis program that splits
> the work out to several different processes, and I'm doing it with MPI
> to get the parallelism.  After writing my code I tried it on an input
> that should only require one additional processor, so I ran it with
> just four processors at its disposal.
>
> However, I got the output listed below.  Does anybody know what this
> means?  I'd include my source code but it's fairly large.  I'm cur-
> rently trying to capture the problem in a smaller section of code, and
> will post that to this newsgroup as soon as I get it.
>
> ---thanks,
> Kevin Simonson
>
> "You'll never get to heaven, or even to LA,
> if you don't believe there's a way."
> from Why Not

> tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$ make ParRid3
> cp ParRid3.Si ParRid3.c
> ~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/bin/mpicc
> -I~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/mpe/include -c ParRid3.c
> ~clement/mpi/mpich-1.2.5.2/bin/mpicc -o ParRid3 ParRid3.o -lmpe -lm
> tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$ mpirun -machinefile machines.LINUX -np 4
> ParRid3
> 1179
> 1179
> rm_6554:  p4_error: interrupt SIGSEGV: 11
> p0_5980:  p4_error: Child process exited while making connection to
> remote process on apple.cs.byu.edu: 0
> tack:Ncl/Java_bash-2.05b$

Probably one of your child processes encountered a segfault error, causing it to
die, which caused the other MPI processes to die when they lost contact.

First, try recompiling using the -mpitrace flag.  That will generate a trace of
all your MPI subroutine calls, helping you to see where your segfault lies.

Second, add lots of print statements in your code, to generate a run-time trace
of your own, especially around MPI_Init.

Also, try running a trivial MPI program that you *know* should work.  If it
doesn't, then don't debug your source code; debug your installation of MPICH
instead.  To get MPICH working, you'll need to enable rsh or ssh, use some sort
of shared filesystem (in most cases), among several other steps.  If you have
installed MPICH incorrectly, your source code is the least of your worries.

    Randy

--
Randy Crawford   http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand   rand AT rice DOT edu
1

p4_error: Child process exited while making connection to remote process
Hi I am trying to execute mpi jobs on a cluster ,but i m getting an error p4_error: Child process exited while making connection to remote process I have checked the rsh with the other nodes which is asking for password Can the problem will be solved if we do rsh without password? Plz suggest me as early as possible . Regards Jo ...

Child Process Exited while Making Connection to Remote Process #2
I'm a relative newcomer to MPI. For my class project for my Computer Networks class I'm running a Phylogenetic Analysis program that splits the work out to several different processes, and I'm doing it with MPI to get the parallelism. After writing my code I tried it on an input that should only require one additional processor, so I ran it with just four processors at its disposal. However, I got the output listed below. Does anybody know what this means? I'd include my source code but it's fairly large. I'm cur- rently trying to capture the problem in a smaller ...

How do I: Main thread spawn child threads, which child processes... control those child processes?
Here's what I want do: Have a main daemon which starts up several threads in a Boss-Queue structure. From those threads, I want them all to sit and watch a queue. Once an entry goes into the queue, grab it and run a system command. Now I want to make sure that system command doesn't hang forever, so I need some way to kill the command and have the worker thread go back to work waiting for another queue entry. Now the reason for the crossposting is because it could be done without threads. I'm trying to figure out how to go about it, a non-blocking open() somehow? I just n...

pexpect on windows - child process of another child process
Hi All We have a windows application to install on console mode typing on cygwin shell "app.exe -i console" On Windows process window, we could see this kicks a process named ia which in turn kicks off ia_launcher to kick off another java.exe process. ie app.exe -- kick off --> ia --> kicks off --> ia_launcher --kicks off --> java.exe We like to use pexpect to interact with the ia_launcher process, which seems to control the stdin/stdout of its own shell window to allow user to enter responses. So far, our research shows most examples are related to use ...

About pids of father process/child process
Can it be guaranteed that the pid of a process is always greater than that of its children? angelo <mzhou@cs.hku.hk> writes: > Can it be guaranteed that the pid of a process is always greater than > that of its children? Nope. The PID can wrap around once it reaches an upper limit. This may vary depending on your kernel: some randomise the PID for security, and IIRC the range was recently expanded, which means it may wrap less often. It's certainly something that you need to allow for in any case. -- Roger Leigh Printing on GNU/Linux? ...

MPI Style parallel processing with parallel computing toolbox
It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory communication-only ba= sed parallel programming model (la MPI) is by using the spmd construct and = using labindex to customize code execution. Is there a way for the main mat= lab process to communicate with the workers in spmd while they are working? The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a 'mast= er' and others as 'workers' galactic_fury <pratik.mallya@gmail.com> writes: > It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory > communication-only based parallel pro...

Redirecting stderr: in single process, *not* in a child process.
Hello all. I spent a long day yesterday battling trying to achieve something that sounds very simple until you actually try and do it. Let me explain the situation: I've taken a third party bit of server software that comes with a BSD license and I have written a thin wrapper for it using our standard C+ + classes for logging, configuration, service management etc. The source code for the original software is basically unchanged, and I want to keep it this way so that is simple to upgrade it when need be. The problem is that the software uses simple c-style logging to std...

Process Management
In any given process P it's easy to ignore a SIGINT signal, just do ACE_OS::signal(SIGINT, SIG_IGN). What's the best way in Windows to have any children spawned by P also ignore SIGINT signals? For example, I have tried to have the child process inherit the parent process environment, by passing the inherit_environment variable to the ACE_Process_Options constructor, but that doesn't seem to work. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance Hi Thomas, > In any given process P it's easy to ignore a SIGINT signal, jus...

How to enumerate & track processes and child processes...
Hello Group, I use the function CreateProcess() to spawn a child process, now this child process spawns its own child processes. So, how can I enumerate & track my process and all propcesses in a blackbox fashion ? Thank you... On Aug 3, 3:21 pm, Windows Application <sammy_lb_2...@netzero.com> wrote: > Hello Group, > > I use the function CreateProcess() to spawn a child process, > now this child process spawns its own child processes. So, > how can I enumerate & track my process and all propcesses > in a blackbox fashion ? > > Thank y...

Writing from a parant process to two child processes
Hi, We have a synchronization problem in a parent that creates two child processes. Our application creates two child processes. To each one a pipe is opened and the parent writes to the appropriate pipe. Child process are in blocking read and when they return from the read they continue to the next read till receiving negative # of bytes or 0. When the parent closes the pipe it "waitpid"'s till the termination of a child via exit. It works well when we have a single child process but failed on endless wait on the 1st child when there are two. Why??????????????...

Child process on crashing kills it parent process
Hi All, I am facing a problem releated to "Child process on crashing kills it parent process" Setup : I have a java code which invokes a tclsh process .. in the above tclsh process i fork a new child process. This child process crashes and in turn it kills the tclsh process(parent process) and also the java process which envoked the tclsh process. Can anyone point to the possiable cause ?? ...

Child processes live after parent process is killed
Hi all! I have a Rails app that starts a child process with IO.popen 'script/backgroundrb' do |io| loop do output = io.gets break if output.nil? print output end end I would expect the child process to die when the Rails app exits or is killed. This however does not happen. I do this on Linux. Can anybody explain to me why child processes continue to live after their parent process has ended? I realize this is Linux specific, so feel free to redirect me to relevant documentation. Also if you know how this works on w$ndoze, please share. Any reply...

How to enumerate & track processes and child processes...
Hello Group, I use the function CreateProcess() to spawn a child process, now this child process spawns its own child processes. So, how can I enumerate & track my process and all propcesses in a blackbox fashion ? Thank you... On Aug 3, 3:22 pm, sammy_lb_2...@netzero.com wrote: > Hello Group, > > I use the function CreateProcess() to spawn a child process, > now this child process spawns its own child processes. So, > how can I enumerate & track my process and all propcesses > in a blackbox fashion ? > > Thank you... Hi, You can use...

Redirecting stderr: in single process, *not* in a child process.
Hello all. I spent a long day yesterday battling trying to achieve something that sounds very simple until you actually try and do it. Let me explain the situation: I've taken a third party bit of server software that comes with a BSD license and I have written a thin wrapper for it using our standard C+ + classes for logging, configuration, service management etc. The source code for the original software is basically unchanged, and I want to keep it this way so that is simple to upgrade it when need be. The problem is that the software uses simple c-style logging to std...

Web resources about - Child Process Exited while Making Connection to Remote Process - comp.parallel.mpi

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

FBI mulls connection between Super Bowl, CA fiber optic cable cuttings
... authorities, who have been baffled by more than a dozen attacks on San Francisco Bay Area data lines, are probing whether there is any connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Star Wars Rebels Trailer Reveals Force Awakens Connection - Collider
The new extended trailer for the mid-season premiere of the Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels reveals a huge connection to The Force ...