I can not make MPI recognizes a dual core

Hello. I am using MPICH2. I am writing my first program in MPI. I
write the sentences:
int id;
MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, & id);
if (id =3D=3D 0)
/ * Master task * /
(
)
else
/ * Worker task * /
(
)
And I write other sentences. The issue is that it does not recognize a
DualCore processor, and takes the machine as it only has one
processor, indeed, never enters the else.

I am using windows 7 and I execute at windows comman line mpiexec -np
2 my_program.exe
at the MPICH2\bin directory.
The system response to me:
Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
And then I write the authentication passphrase that I write on the
MPICH instalation and the system response to me: Error while connectig
to host, No se puede establecer una conexi=F3n ya
que el equipo de destino deneg=F3 expresamente dicha conexi=F3n (10061)
Connect on sock(host=3DUser-PC, port=3D8676) failed, exhaused all end
points Unable to connect to 'User-PC:8678', sock error: Error =3D -1

When I write smpd -start the system response to me:
OpenSCManager failed: Denied access. (error 5)
I would appreciate very much any help.
Sincerely,
Yessica Brinkmann
0
Yessica
5/23/2010 4:01:58 AM
comp.parallel.mpi 1534 articles. 0 followers. kisitanggang (69) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
Yessica Brinkmann <yessica.brinkmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello. I am using MPICH2. I am writing my first program in MPI. I
> write the sentences:
> int id;
> MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, & id);
> if (id =3D=3D 0)
> / * Master task * /
> (
> )
> else
> / * Worker task * /
> (
> )
> And I write other sentences. The issue is that it does not recognize a
> DualCore processor, and takes the machine as it only has one
> processor, indeed, never enters the else.

this is an issue of the MPI run time environment. You have to specify
the number of processes at program startup. Read the documentation of
mpiexec and/or mpirun.

	Heiko

--=20
-- Wie sich die Gegens=E4tze gleichen!
-- (Alfred Polgar)
-- Number Crunch Blog @ http://numbercrunch.de
--  Cluster Computing @ http://www.clustercomputing.de

0
Heiko
5/24/2010 11:39:53 AM
Am 23.05.2010, 06:01 Uhr, schrieb Yessica Brinkmann
<yessica.brinkmann@gmail.com>:

> I am using windows 7 and I execute at windows comman line mpiexec -np
> 2 my_program.exe
> at the MPICH2\bin directory.
> The system response to me:
> Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
> And then I write the authentication passphrase that I write on the
> MPICH instalation and the system response to me: Error while connectig
> to host, No se puede establecer una conexi�n ya
> que el equipo de destino deneg� expresamente dicha conexi�n (10061)
> Connect on sock(host=User-PC, port=8676) failed, exhaused all end
> points Unable to connect to 'User-PC:8678', sock error: Error = -1
>
> When I write smpd -start the system response to me:
> OpenSCManager failed: Denied access. (error 5)
> I would appreciate very much any help.

This is not an MPI problem in general, but an MPICH2 problem on Windows 7.
You should try to get support from the MPICH2 people
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/support/index.php?s=support).
They are the best to know how to circumvent any setup issues with MPICH2
on Windows 7. At least you should have a look at their mailing list
archive (https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/mmsearch/mpich-discuss) and
search for "windows 7".

Michael
0
Michael
5/25/2010 4:56:04 PM
Am 25.05.2010, 18:56 Uhr, schrieb Michael Hofmann
<michael.hofmann@s2000.tu-chemnitz.de>:

> Am 23.05.2010, 06:01 Uhr, schrieb Yessica Brinkmann
> <yessica.brinkmann@gmail.com>:
>
>> I am using windows 7 and I execute at windows comman line mpiexec -np
>> 2 my_program.exe
>> at the MPICH2\bin directory.
>> The system response to me:
>> Please specify an authentication passphrase for smpd:
>> And then I write the authentication passphrase that I write on the
>> MPICH instalation and the system response to me: Error while connectig
>> to host, No se puede establecer una conexi�n ya
>> que el equipo de destino deneg� expresamente dicha conexi�n (10061)
>> Connect on sock(host=User-PC, port=8676) failed, exhaused all end
>> points Unable to connect to 'User-PC:8678', sock error: Error = -1
>>
>> When I write smpd -start the system response to me:
>> OpenSCManager failed: Denied access. (error 5)
>> I would appreciate very much any help.
>
> This is not an MPI problem in general, but an MPICH2 problem on Windows
> 7. You should try to get support from the MPICH2 people
> (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/support/index.php?s=support).
> They are the best to know how to circumvent any setup issues with MPICH2
> on Windows 7. At least you should have a look at their mailing list
> archive (https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/mmsearch/mpich-discuss) and
> search for "windows 7".

The mailing list archive is here:
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/mpich-discuss/