MPI c++ broadcast of boolean array?

comp.parallel.mpi,

I have only just started out making a program run with mpi on several nodes,
but I miss the MPI_Bool datatype (which when I search.. is available in java
it seems). I tested broadcasting a small boolean array
using MPI_INT which worked but in my main program something went horribly
wrong since it crashed (seg fault I believe, code 11). Should I use MPI_Byte
and find out the size of the array in bytes and give it that as it's size?
What would be a good solution to do this? I need to broadcast a 2D boolean
array between the nodes.

I will get back on it first thing in the morning, maybe someone can leave a
message overnight which can help me out tomorrow.

    Greetings,
        Thijs Stuurman

0
Thijssss
12/20/2006 10:58:55 PM
comp.parallel.mpi 1534 articles. 0 followers. kisitanggang (69) is leader. Post Follow

Hi Thijs,

> ... but I miss the MPI_Bool datatype (which when I search..
> is available in java it seems). I tested broadcasting a small
> boolean array using MPI_INT ...

the problem is that MPI is relatively old now and the C++ interface had
been an add-on. C and Fortran don't have proper "boolean" data types
(see [1]). Either convert your boolean array into something of another
type (like integer array with 1=true and 0=false) or use an MPI
implementation that supports the 2.0 standard. This newer version of
the interface has explicit C++ bindings (see [2]), including
"MPI::BOOL".

Regards,
   Christian

[1] http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node32.html
[2] http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-20-html/node229.htm

0
Christian
12/21/2006 10:12:53 AM
Now that sheds new lights to my world, thank you for the information!

"Christian" <iBBiS@gmx.de> schreef in bericht
> Hi Thijs,
>
>> ... but I miss the MPI_Bool datatype (which when I search..
>> is available in java it seems). I tested broadcasting a small
>> boolean array using MPI_INT ...
>
> the problem is that MPI is relatively old now and the C++ interface had
> been an add-on. C and Fortran don't have proper "boolean" data types
> (see [1]). Either convert your boolean array into something of another
> type (like integer array with 1=true and 0=false) or use an MPI
> implementation that supports the 2.0 standard. This newer version of
> the interface has explicit C++ bindings (see [2]), including
> "MPI::BOOL".
>
> Regards,
>   Christian
>
> [1] http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node32.html
> [2] http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-20-html/node229.htm

0
Thijssss

MPI and LAM\MPI
Hello, I've been asked to setup five computers using the Pelican software by a grad student who is using MPI to write programs on his computer. While the Pelican software says its MPI the programs the grad student writes will not run under the LAM/MPI system that the Pelican software uses. I have had the student write a simple hello world program and when I try to run it on the Pelican system it will not run, it is not even recognised. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the MPI programs written by the grad student to run under this LAM/MPI. Thank you for any help you can giv...

parallel programming using MPI and C++
Hi everyone, I started parallelizing some code that I had and for that I'm using the mpich library. I was able to run simulations in my one processor laptop as if it were a cluster of machines but now I have a problem for which the solution might be trivial. I would like to use master- slave parallelization to speed-up some computations but then I need only a UNIQUE instantiation of a class (the master node) and then communicate information of that class to other processes in remote nodes. I can do this by writing everything in the main function that I compile: int main(int argc,char *a...

what is the difference between mpi and mpi implementation
folks .. as i know mpi is an api that can be used to create parallel applications. and is portable.. UNDERSTOOD but what is then an mpi-implementation (like mpich).. what is the difference between mpi and mpi implementation.... we have the mpi but then y we use mpi implementation... then what is a refrence implentation of mpi??? Can any one tell in detail > as i know > mpi is an api that can be used to create parallel applications. and is > portable.. UNDERSTOOD The "I" in MPI and API stands for _interface_. It's only the description of a number of functions (thei...

Looking for C/C++ MPI programs!
Dear all, I am a PhD student, my research topic is optimization of MPI applications. During my research I have collected several transformation that can improve the overall performance of an MPI application; however these optimizations have been tested so far only on small hand written code samples. In order to evaluate their potentials I am desperately looking for real MPI applications (written in C/C++) to play around with. Is anyone interested in having a performance boost of your favorite MPI application? :) Where can I find interesting MPI source codes I can use for research...

mpi
Hi all, I am mulling about a question on mpi, which is not really a particular issue of parallel programing. I am trying to spawn a grid of 200x200 independent initial conditions to a smp machine using mpi. After a while I managed to do a simple code using mpi which sends blocks of initial conditions to each processor. It turns out that this is not so efficient because some processors end the job before others. It would be best if each process begins as the previous ends, in such a way that all processors keep working until the last step of the calculation. Can anyone help me out with this ...

MPI
Hello, I was just wondering how to use MPI with g95. I have 3 old I386 computers connected via 100mbps ethernet, and I was going to see if I could run an MPI program. Can I use Windows 2k or do I need to use a linux distribution? I also have access to 3 computers with SPARC processors. Can these be used together with the I386's? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe MPI is implemented as a set of libraries (partily in C and partly in Fortran), AFAIK, so you need a set that is compatible with g95. I know several libraries exist and as they are mostly distributed via the so...

MPI I/O of multiple arrays with sub-arrays
Hi, I'd like to implement the following in Fortran using MPI I/O: I have multiple multidimensional arrays of different size that are written consecutively into a single file. Each of this arrays should be divided into a certain number of sub-arrays to spread the work onto a computing cluster. At first I tried to use MPI_TYPE_CREATE_SUBARRAY for each subarray and used MPI_TYPE_CREATE_STRUCT to combine them to a single datatype using the correct byte displacement. I packed the data into a buffer using a self-written procedure, set the file view with my struct- datatype as file...

Parallelise matlab using MPI (C or C++)
Hello, I guess this question is more for the initiated, but I don't really know where to look so here goes. I'd like to run the simple matlab piece of code below on a supercomputer using C to lanuch mpi and then entering parameters in C which would then be taken as parameter attributes by a matlab piece of code. The parameter attributes entered into matlab would designate which core performs which computation and in that sense should speed up the operation. Example C initiates MPI and asks for say 4 workers on a single core. For each worker, see sends the worker parameter to a matla...

MPI I/O difference between distributed array and sub array
Hello World I would like to know what is the difference between a distributed array and a sub array, with reference to MPI I/O. Basically what I want to know is what is the difference between the calls MPI_Type_create_darray and MPI_Type_create_subarray. Thanking you. - Vishal vishpat wrote: > Hello World > > I would like to know what is the difference between a distributed > array and a sub array, with reference to MPI I/O. Basically what I > want to know is what is the difference between the calls > MPI_Type_create_darray and MPI_Type_create_subarray. > Thanking you....

MPI Style parallel processing with parallel computing toolbox
It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory communication-only ba= sed parallel programming model (la MPI) is by using the spmd construct and = using labindex to customize code execution. Is there a way for the main mat= lab process to communicate with the workers in spmd while they are working? The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a 'mast= er' and others as 'workers' galactic_fury <pratik.mallya@gmail.com> writes: > It seems that the only way to have a no-shared memory > communication-only based parallel programming model (la MPI) is by > using the spmd construct and using labindex to customize code > execution. Is there a way for the main matlab process to communicate > with the workers in spmd while they are working? There is not. The MATLAB client does not in fact have an MPI connection to the workers. > The way I've been getting around this is by assigning one worker as a > 'master' and others as 'workers' Could I ask what you're trying to do here? Cheers, Edric. Essentially, its a kind of a numerical method that I'm trying to paralleliz= e using a master-worker model. e.g take the problem of covering a surface w= ith polygons: the workers will generate polygons and send it back to the ma= ster, who will integrate it into the growing cover. On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 02:33:08 UTC-6, Edric M Ellis wrote: > ...

C Array VS C++ Array??
Is there any new features added to the chapter of 'array', I read though this chapter and do not see much new items different from C language; "vib.cpp@gmail.com" <vib.cpp@gmail.com> kirjutas: > Is there any new features added to the chapter of 'array', I read > though this chapter and do not see much new items different from C > language; Don't know which book you are reading, but C arrays are to a large extent superseded by std::vector and other STL containers in C++. Paavo On Jan 5, 10:04=A0am, "vib....@gmail.com" <vib....@gma...

learning MPI-1 or MPI-2?
Hello all, I am interested in learning MPI for my work for my PhD, but I am having a bit of trouble identifying the differences between MPI-1.2 and MPI-2. Sources state that MPI-2 has just added functionality, i/o communications,... etc to MPI-1. But other sources state that MPI-2 is very different and should be used _instead_ of MPI-1. I have read general info from the documents from the mpi-forum, but its unclear, so can anybody clarify this for me? I have always found things easier when reading from an actual book (and not from online pdf's from here and there..) so I am looking in buyi...

[ann] C/C++ interpreter Ch for MPI Toolkit released
Ch is a free C/C++ interpreter. Ch MPI toolkit is a set of Ch bindings to an advanced implementation of MPI, MPICH2, supporting all of the MPI-1 and MPI-2 functions. With Ch MPI toolkit, you can develop an MPI application in one platform and immediately distribute it to run on multiple platforms in parallel. The truly platform independent feature makes Ch MPI a good candidate for Web-based parallel computing, rapid prototyping, embedded scripting, and mobile code execution. The Ch MPI toolkit source code can be downloaded at http://iel.ucdavis.edu/projects/chmpi/ More about C/C++ in...

No functions in Parallel::MPI?
I have MPICH installed successfully on a test cluster of SunBlade 100s (Solaris 9, GNU Perl 5.8.4, Parallel::MPI 0.3), and it will run MPI-enabled C/C++ applications without a hitch. I installed Parallel::MPI from CPAN, and the install (and the prequisite tests) ran fine. The problem arises when I actually try and run a Perl script using Parallell::MPI. Realistically, the smallest possible script would look like: #!/usr/local/bin/perl use Parallel::MPI; MPI_Init(); MPI_Finalize(); This script has no functionality, but it would demonstrate that the module was working. I get the error: Und...

Output in C++ with MPI.
It is well known that in MPI it usually suffices if only one process performs output. The output is most often directed to the console, i.e. to cout. However, it is tedious to write code to check the rank of the process in order to decide whether this is the process that has been designated to perform output: if( MPI_Comm_rank( comm ) == 0 ) { std::cout << something; } Has anyone devised a better alternative besides this one: template< typename t > void MPIPrint( t const& smth_to_print ) { if( MPI_Comm_rank( comm ) == 0 ) { std::cout << smth_to_print; } } MPIPri...

parallel rendering with mpi
Hi all I'm developping a c++ graphic rendering program using vtk library and mpi (mpich2 on windows xp) In my application different render window are created, one for each processes (running on different PC) Each window render part of the scene graph. But I'have noticed that starting the program by visual studio - build - debug, it run well (all the PC's windows are visible), visual studio debugging is setted like MPI CLUSTER DEBUGGING and it's use MPISHIM Instead, launching the program from "dos command line": mpiexec -hosts 2 proc1 1 proc2 2 -localroo...

using mpi with c#
I want to use MPI with c#. Found a library(MPI.NET) but it is alpha version and is not updated for a long time. Does anybody have a suggestion about how to use mpi in c# or where to find a library ? Thanx a lot for any help... On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:46:59 +0200, ozlem <gemiciozlem@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to use MPI with c#. > > Found a library(MPI.NET) but it is alpha version and is not updated for > a long time. > > Does anybody have a suggestion about how to use mpi in c# or where to > find a library ? > > Thanx a lot for any help... > > Hmm, ...

what is mpi
please elaborate vv wrote: > please elaborate I used Google http://www.google.com/ to search for +"MPI" +"Message Passing Interface" and I found lots of stuff including http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mpi-faq/ and http://www.mpi-forum.org/ ...

Parallel quicksort (MPI)
Hello to all... I am trying to write an algorithm parallel in order to realize the quicksort. They are to the first crews with C and MPI. The algorithm that I am trying to realize is PARALLEL QUICKSORT with REGULAR SAMPLING. The idea on the planning is right. the code that I have written syntactically does not only have problems that it does not want any to know to work... Are two days that I analyze it but I do not succeed to find the errors... Someone of you can give a hand to me is deprived of hope. Ringrazio to you in advance payment... The code is following: #include <stdio.h> #inc...

Array slices and MPI
Hello! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but currently I'm beginning some work with MPI and Fortran 90/95. The question is now: do I have to use the derived MPI datatype "vector" (and perhaps "contiguous"), if I want to send an array slice where one dimension always has size 1? My understanding is that sending column vectors via MPI is perfectly OK because these are contiguous data, but I'm not sure, if I have to do some manual copying or datatyping for row vectors ... Hope someone can help me there! Sebastian Hi Sebastian, > My understanding is that send...

Parallel quicksort (MPI)
Hello to all... I am trying to write an algorithm parallel in order to realize the quicksort. They are to the first crews with C and MPI. The algorithm that I am trying to realize is PARALLEL QUICKSORT with REGULAR SAMPLING. The idea on the planning is right. the code that I have written syntactically does not only have problems that it does not want any to know to work... Are two days that I analyze it but I do not succeed to find the errors... Someone of you can give a hand to me is deprived of hope. Ringrazio to you in advance payment... The code is following: #include <s...

convert a C/C++ array to a Ruby array
Hello! While writting a Ruby extension, consider the prototype: double * foo(void); I would like, optimally, to return a Ruby array with floats, but the problem is that I don't know the length of the C array of doubles which foo() returns. Is there a way to accomplish such a thing? If not, how should the Right (TM) Ruby extension treat such a prototype? I am compiling with g++, so I can use all the functionality C++ provides. Regards, Elias Hi, At Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:03:15 +0900, elathan@phys.uoa.gr wrote: > While writting a Ruby extension, consider the prototy...

c# binding of mpi
Does anybody know a c# binding of mpi library? Thanx a lot for your help.. ...

Porting PVM code to MPI
I am working on porting on application from PVM to MPI. Any suggestions on how to perform the equivalent of pvmkill? Thanks, Christian Christian Trefftz wrote: > I am working on porting on application from PVM to MPI. > Any suggestions on how to perform the equivalent of pvmkill? > Thanks, > Christian Generally, there is no equivalent, since most MPI implementations manage the processes for you. You don't have to start them or stop them other than to call mpirun (or mpiexec or an equivalent). The exception is LAM-MPI, which uses lamboot and lamhalt. It's similar to PVM...

Web resources about - MPI c++ broadcast of boolean array? - comp.parallel.mpi

List of North American broadcast station classes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of broadcast station classes applicable in much of North America under international agreements between the United States, Canada ...

World T20: Aussie fans face tournament television blackout as broadcast costs skyrocket - HeraldSun Search ...
... channels have opted against paying huge money for the Australian telecasting rights for next month’s World T20 cricket tournament. Nine broadcast ...

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash English Broadcast Dub Cast Revealed
Also: Assassination Classroom returning dub cast confirmed

Dish to disable DVR ad-skip for 7 days after broadcast to resolve Fox suit
... / flickr ) Fox and NBCUniversal both sued Dish in 2012 , saying that the ad-skipping could destroy "the fundamental underpinnings of the broadcast ...

ABC's Channing Dungey to be first black broadcast-network president
... replaced by the woman who has been heading the network's drama programming, Channing Dungey. She will be the first black president of a broadcast ...

Tommy Hilfiger Takes Next Step to Democratize the Runway with Multi-Media Broadcast Consumer Shows and ...
Tommy Hilfiger, which is owned by PVH Corp. [NYSE:PVH], has announced the next step in its strategy to democratize the runway and keep the consumer ...

‘Survivor’ Debuts To New Low, But Wednesday’s Most Watched Broadcast Nonetheless
The 90-minute spring premiere of CBS’s Survivor averaged a 1.9 rating in the demo, and was Wednesday night’s most-watched broadcast – good news ...

Homer Simpson will broadcast live, with some motion-capture help
The Simpsons, live! Well, at least partially. In a new episode set to broadcast on Sunday May 15, Homer Simpson will speak live to viewers, commenting ...

North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
KRT broadcasts footage South Korean workers leave Kaesong US, Seoul and Japan agree to pool resources US Senate agrees to toughen sanctions The ...

ABC replaces top boss with first black female broadcast president - EW.com
A historic executive shake-up at ABC: Entertainment chief Paul Lee has stepped down from his post after six years leading the network’s programming ...