[l/m 4/30/2008] Posting and moderation policies comp.par/comp.sys.super (16/28) FAQ

Archive-Name:
Last-modified: 30 Apr 2008

Posting and moderation policies

Post not getting through?  New to Usenet?

Comp.parallel is a moderated news group.  All posts first get emailed to me,
the moderator, for distribution.  This was simpler in the grand old days
pre-spam.  Your moderator like many other people is at a site which
employs 2 spam filters.  Your post must penetrate those filters.
Some times a post arrives and is a false positive.  Perhaps that's your post.
The moderation isn't controlled by Google, or various other news sites and
archives, it's controlled by the "community" represented by me.

It doesn't help that your own person attempts to avoid spam include user
names aliases, etc.  You can retry a direct emailing to me in case your
attempt to post ends up in my spam bucket or bounces.  Try again.

Additionally, NNTP, the Network News Transport Protocol, is a
notoriously unreliable, low-priority, protocol.  Most other protocols
are favored by computers on the net over posting articles.

Try email the moderator again.
If you need any additional help, feel free to email me if you are used
to Usenet.  I've been on it since 1982.  That also assumes that I'm not
traveling.  Dave Bader is the alternate moderator.

Actually I like a GOOD flame war as much as the next person.

Comp.sys.super is unmoderated.  Comp.arch is unmoderated.
Comp.parallel.pvm and comp.parallel.mpi (listed in chronological
rather than alphabetic order) are unmoderated.
You can use any of these groups
Comp.parallel is moderated.
Know your news groups.

Traditional Usenet moderation policy tends toward two sets of topics:
those connoted by the news group name and all discussion on the running
and maintenance of the news group.

Moderation is a lot like editing.

Grammar and spelling
I might make 1-2 editorial comments, and even engage in a few suggestions,
but in large part, you are on your own.
I personally rated a terrible SAT Verbal score, but your grammar and
spelling should not detract too much from a good idea if you can
communicate it.  I may ask you to refine or resubmit a post.

Reformatting:
Line oriented news systems which don't break at 80 characters (or
variable size window width are a problem).  I may ask you to reformat,
or I may just post with your slightly less readable broken lines.
It helps me (and you) if you have explicit CRs less than 80 character
per line.

What's on topic?

I practice a "one of" rule.
You are largely allowed to get away with anything once (swearing, profanity).
As I work some times with one of the most noted computer architects,
and he swears a lot when he gets into a good discussion.
Rot13: sure.

Advertising: relevant and done in good taste: ok.

Trolling: on-topic trolling is fine.

Sarcasm: fine.

Should the moderator think that your submission (proposed post)
not fall within these guide lines, I'll mail you back your post
and likely suggest other more appropriate news groups for you to consider.

It is generally a good idea to "do you home work" before posting.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

0
eugene
12/16/2009 1:03:01 PM
comp.parallel 2866 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow