CFP: EduPDHPC at SC-13 - Workshop on Parallel, Distributed, and High-Performance Computing in Undergraduate Curricula

*Workshop on Parallel, Distributed, and High-Performance Computing*

*in*

*Undergraduate Curricula (EduPDHPC)*

*Nov 18, 2013*

*Website: http://cs.gsu.edu/~tcpp/curriculum/?q=3Dedupdhpc*

In conjunction with Sc-13: The International Conference for High
Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis

Denver, Colorado, USA

http://sc13.supercomputing.org

CALL FOR PAPERS

Parallel and Distributed Computing (PDC) has become pervasive, from
supercomputers and server farms containing multicore CPUs and GPUs, to
individual PCs, laptops, and mobile devices. Even casual users of computers
depend on parallel processing nowadays. It is now necessary for every
computer user - and especially every programmer - to understand how
parallelism and distributed computing affect problem solving. It is now
essential to impart a range of PDC knowledge and skills at various levels
within the educational fabric woven by Computer Science (CS), Computer
Engineering (CE), and related computational curricula. Companies and
laboratories need people with these skills and are finding that they must
do extensive on-the-job training. However, rapid changes in hardware
platforms, languages, programming environments, and advances in research
increasingly challenge educators to decide what to teach and how to teach
it, in order to prepare students for careers that are increasingly likely
to involve PDC.

This workshop invites unpublished manuscripts from academia, industry, and
government laboratories on topics pertaining to the needs and approaches
for augmenting undergraduate education in Computer Science and Engineering,
Computational Science as well as computational courses of STEM and business
disciplines with PDC and high performance computing (HPC) concepts.

The workshop is particularly dedicated to bringing together stakeholders
from industry (both hardware vendors and employers), government labs,
funding agencies, and academia in the context of SC-13, so that each can
hear the challenges faced by the others, can learn the various approaches
to these challenges, and can generally have opportunities to exchange ideas
and brainstorm solutions.  In addition to contributed talks, this workshop
will feature panels, special sessions, and invited talks on opportunities
for collaboration, resource sharing, educator training, internships, and
other means of increasing cross-fertilization between industry, government,
and academia, without "eating the seed corn."  Proposals for panels and
special sessions are also welcome.

This effort is in coordination with NSF/TCPP curriculum initiative on
Parallel and Distributed
Computing<http://www.cs.gsu.edu/~tcpp/curriculum/?q=3Dhome> and
the Center for Parallel and Distributed Computing Curriculum Development
and Educational Resources (CDER).

 Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

1. Pedagogical issues in incorporating PDC and HPC in undergraduate
education, especially in core courses

2. Novel ways of teaching PDC and HPC topics

3. Experience with incorporating PDC and HPC topics into core CS/CE courses

4. Pedagogical tools, programming environments, infrastructures, languages,
and projects for PDC and HPC

5. Employers=E2=80=99 experiences with and expectation of the level of PDC =
and HPC
proficiency among new graduates.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

*Papers:* Authors are asked to submit 6-8 page papers in pdf format through
the EasyChair submission site at
https://www.easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?conf=3Dedupdhpc13 choosing its
=E2=80=9CPaper=E2=80=9D track.  Submissions should be formatted as single-s=
paced
double-column pages using 10-point size font on 8.5x11 inch pages (IEEE
conference style), including figures, tables, and references. See style
templates for details.  Papers will be published on the conference website
and possibly in the SC-13 workshop proceedings.

LaTex Package<http://www.ipdps.org/templates/IEEECS_CPS_LaTeX_Letter_2Col.z=
ip>
   Word Template <http://www.ipdps.org/templates/IEEECS_CPS_8.5x11x2.zip>

IMPORTANT DATES (*Tentative*):

Sept 15, 2013: Paper submission deadline

Oct 15, 2013: Author notification

Oct 30, 2013:  Camera-ready paper deadline

*Panels:* Prospective organizers are asked to submit a proposal in PDF
format through the EasyChair submission site at
https://www.easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?conf=3Dedupdhpc13 choosing its
=E2=80=9CPanel=E2=80=9D track. Upload a single PDF file that describes the =
panel, which may
include such information as description of the panel topic or position
statements by the panelists. You must convince us that the panel will truly
be an interactive session and not a series of presentations. Explain why
the panel will attract a good audience and why the audience will feel that
the panel was beneficial. Suggested length for this file is 1-2 pages.  Use
font and style as for papers noted earlier.

*Special Sessions:* A session will consist of 2-3 talks on a coherent theme
spanning about an hour. Organizers are asked to submit a proposal in pdf
format through the EasyChair submission site at
https://www.easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?conf=3Dedupdhpc13choosing its
=E2=80=9CSpecial Session=E2=80=9D track. Use font and style as for papers n=
oted earlier.
Upload a single PDF file (1-2 pages) that describes the session: (i)
session goals - specifically how attendees will benefit, (ii) target
audience, (iii) why the topic is relevant to workshop and SC attendees,
(iv) general description of session content, and (v) links to resume or
curriculum vitae for each presenter.

IMPORTANT DATES (*Tentative*):

Sept 30, 2013: Proposal for panels or special sessions submission deadline

Oct 15, 2013: Notifications for panels/special sessions

ORGANIZATION:

*Workshop Chair:*

Sushil K. Prasad, Georgia State University

*Program Committee (Tentative):*

Allen, Gabrielle, Louisiana State University

Buck, Scott, Intel

Crowder, Grace, National Security Agency

Dehne, Frank, Carleton University

Dongarra, Jack, Innovative Computing Laboratory - University of Tennessee

Garland, Michael, NVIDIA

Gopalakrishnan, Ganesh, University of Utah

Gordon, Steven, Ohio Supercomputer Center

Gupta, Anshul, IBM Research

Hong, Bo, Georgia Institute of Technology

Juedes, David, Ohio University

Kaeli, David, Northeastern University

Kant, Krishna, George Mason University

Kothapalli, Kishore, International Institute of Information Technology

Lathrop, Scott, Shodor

Lumsdaine, Andrew, Indiana University

Miller, Russ, SUNY, Buffalo

Pacheco, Peter, University of San Francisco

Padua, David, University of Illinois

Parashar, Manish, Rutgers University

Patt, Yale, The University of Texas at Austin

Phillips, Cynthia, Sandia National Laboratories

Prasad, Sushil, Georgia State University

Rosenberg, Arnold, Northeastern University

Sekharan, Chandra, Loyola University

Vivien, Fr=C3=A9d=C3=A9ric, INRIASussman, Alan, University of Maryland

Wang, Cho-Li, The University of Hong Kong

Weems, Charles, University of Massachusetts

Wrinn, Michael, Intel

Wu, Jie, Temple University

Yang, Yuanyuan, Stony Brook University
0
Sushil
8/13/2013 2:21:37 PM
comp.parallel 2866 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

CFP: The 23nd International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) 2014
**** CALL FOR PAPERS **** The 23nd International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC-2014) Vancouver, Canada - June 23-27, 2014 http://www.hpdc.org/2014 The ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) is the premier annual conference for presenting the latest research on the design, implementation, evaluation, and application of parallel and distributed systems for high-end computing. In 2014, the 23nd HPDC and affiliated workshops will take place in the beautiful city of Vancouver, Canada during June 23-27, 2014. **** IMPORTANT DATES **** Abstracts Due: January 20, 2014 Papers Due: January 27, 2014 (no extensions) Author Rebuttal: March 14-18, 2014 Author Notifications: March 28, 2014 **** SCOPE AND TOPICS **** Submissions are welcomed on high-performance parallel and distributed computing topics including but not limited to: clouds, clusters, grids, Big Data, massively multicore, and global-scale computing systems. New scholarly research showing empirical and reproducible results in architectures, systems, and networks is strongly encouraged, as are experience reports of operational deployments that can provide insights for future research on HPDC applications and systems. All papers will be evaluated for their origi...

CFP: The 24th Int. ACM Symp. on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) 2015
**** CALL FOR PAPERS **** The 24th International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC-2015) Portland, Oregon, USA - June 15-19, 2015 http://www.hpdc.org/2015 The ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) is the premier annual conference for presenting the latest research on the design, implementation, evaluation, and the use of parallel and distributed systems for hig...

[TCPP-announce] Special Issue on "Performance Modeling and Evaluation of High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Systems
[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP] ******************************************************************************************* CALL FOR PAPERS Special Issue on Performance Modeling and Evaluation of High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Systems To appear in Performance Evaluation: An International Journal http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/people/personal/mohamed/si-pe.html The world�s unfulfilled appetite for high computation power, supported by advances in VLSI and communications technology as well as algorithms, has led to the rapid deployment of a wide range of parallel and distributed systems. Many factors affect the performance of these systems, including the processors and hardware architecture, the communication network, the various system software components, and the mapping of end-user applications and their algorithms to the architecture. Analyzing performance factors in such systems has proven to be a challenging task that requires the innovative performance analysis tools and methods to keep up with the rapid evolution and ever increasing complexity of such systems. Along the line of three major evaluation techniques: measurement, analytic modeling and simulation, this special issue will cover various topics on quantitative modeling, simulation and measurement/testing of parallel and distributed systems. The topics of interest include, but are not limited to: � Integrated performance tool environments � Analytical mo...

[TCPP-announce] Special Issue on "Performance Modeling and Evaluation of High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Systems #2
[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP] ******************************************************************************************* CALL FOR PAPERS Special Issue on Performance Modeling and Evaluation of High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Systems To appear in Performance Evaluation: An International Journal http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/people/personal/mohamed/si-pe.html The world�s unfulfilled appetite for high computation power, supported by advances in VLSI and communications technology as well as algorithms, has led to the rapid deployment of a wid...

parallel computing , distribution computing
Hi, I have a matlab 2007b installed on my machine which has Distributed computing toolbox v3.2 installed. my questions are? 1. will i be able to do parallel computing using this versions of matlab including DCT? 2. I tried serchign for jobmanager but could not trace it. Do i have to install Parallel computing toolbox, seperately? I just could not proceed with my existing installations. What next should i do? All info above is required so that i could run two parallel optimizations originationg starting somewhere in between my original code. The original code does some input calculations. These values are then required for optimizations. However currently i run the optimizations sequentially one after the other> TO improve on the speed i am looking forward to run the two optimizations parallely. How do i do that? My current machine configurations are: Pentium 4 - 2,8Ghz, 1GB Ram. Is this suffucient? Also i may not be able to connect to another machine or server, will this still do the parallel or i have to connect elsewhere for optimium benefits? Please advice... Thanks in advance. Satish ...

parallel computing, distributed computing
HI, I have an optimization code which has some part code is common and required as inputs for the two optimization routines within. However once this is done, the remaining could be run parallely independednt of each other and imrovized on the speed and finally the two results could be fetched in one single main optimization file and compared. Though i feel this could be done, i do not knopw the exact procedure as well do not know if there is some setting to be done in matlab and modify my main code as well. Please note i have matlab 2007b and distributed computing toolbox v3.2. I...

PARALLEL/HIGH-PERFORMANCE OBJECT-ORIENTED SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
There will be a meeting on PARALLEL/HIGH-PERFORMANCE OBJECT-ORIENTED SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING (POOSC'09) http://www.ccs3.lanl.gov/poosc/ and the list of topics made me think that scientific computing in Lisp would be a good fit for the meeting: Specific areas of interest include, but are not limited to: * alternatives or extensions to mainstream object-oriented languages (e.g. C++, Java); * performance issues and their realized or proposed resolution; * issues specific to handling or abstracting parallelism, including the handling or abstraction of heterogeneous/multicore/ acc...

Multicore distributed computing
I'm running R2008B on a 2 PC cluster (XP Pro). Each PC has four cores. I've confirmed that the Matlab distributed computing toolboox and parallel computing toolbox are properly installed and running on both machines. 4 green checks appear when I validate through the configuration manager. Max number of workers set to 16. My question: I want to confirm that when I run a job all 4 cores on each machine are utilized for a total of 8 cores. My error when I try to open a pool with 8 cores is below. Is there another command I should try? Thanks. >> matlabpool open 8 Starti...

Parallel Computing in Distributed Computing Toolbox
I made the following function/script and I get an empty array of 4 by 0 I wanted to see if I could initialize labs with data, by attaching it to the root. jm = findResource('scheduler','configuration','jobmanager', 'name', ... 'IPS_Manager', 'LookupURL', 'ava-310848'); pjob = createParallelJob(jm); set(pjob, 'MinimumNumberOfWorkers', 4); set(pjob, 'MaximumNumberOfWorkers', 4); createTask(pjob, @getLabIndex, 1, {}); submit(pjob); waitForState(pjob); out = getAllOutputArguments(pjob) clear jm; function foo = getLabIn...

parallel computing in distributed computing server
Hi, there, Is there some way that can use the parallel computing code such as parfor or spmd in the distributed computing server? I currently ran a test for comparing the difference between the parallel toolbox with in stand alone mode in a computer with two CPUs, and the distributed computing server in two computers(each of them using just one CPU). I found the computing capabilities are pretty much the same with each other. I was curious how to run a parallel computing in the distributed server. Thanks, Wei Wei, The Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT) serves two purposes: leverage...

CALL FOR PAPERS: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION
Could you pl post the following message to comp.parallel? thanks S. Rajasekaran ********************************************************************************** CALL FOR PAPERS Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION We live in an era where every application of interest in science and engineering has to deal with a large amount of data. For instance, genomic data in biology is quite extensive. In homeland security, voluminous data of different kinds arise. Many of these applications d...

CFP: PDCAT 2012-Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies
================================================= CALL FOR PAPERS The Thirteenth International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies (PDCAT'12) 14-16 December 2012, Beijing, CHINA Submission Due: July 20, 2012 URL: http://cit.bjtu.edu.cn/pdcat2012 Sponsored by NSFC, BJTU, IEEE Beijing Chapter ================================================= AIM AND SCOPE ------------------------ The International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies (PDCAT) is a major forum for scientists, engineers, and practitioners throughout the world to present the latest research, results, ideas, developments and applications in all areas of parallel and distributed computing. Following PDCAT'00 in Hong Kong, PDCAT'01 in Taipei, PDCAT'02 in Kanazawa, Japan, PDCAT'03 in Chengdu, China, PDCAT'04 in Singapore, PDCAT'05 in Dalian, China, PDCAT'06 in Taipei, Taiwan, PDCAT'07 in Adelaide, Australia, PDCAT'08 in Dunedin, New Zealand, PDCAT'09 in Hiroshima, Japan, PDCAT'10 in Wuhan, China, PDCAT'11 in Gwangju, Korea, PDCAT'12 will take place in Beijing, China. We are inviting new and unpublished papers on, but not limited to, the following topics: 1. Networking and Architectures: Interconnection networks Parallel/distributed architectures Heterogeneous and multimedia Systems ATM networks Reliability, and fault-tolerance Ubiqu...

[...]

Posting of job position: PhD positions in Parallel and High-Performance Computing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ PhD positions in Parallel and High-Performance Computing, Ume� University, Sweden ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ We are seeking outstanding candidates for PhD student positions within the field of Parallel and High-Performance Computing. The research group is focused on the design, analysis, and implementation of efficient and robust algorithms, and library software for parallel dense and structured matrix computations. The research is performed in an international and creative environment. Locally, the research group is collaborating with the High Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) and the UMIT Research Lab. For further information of the positions, please contact Professor Bo Kagstrom (bokg@cs.umu.se) or Ass. Professor Lars Karlsson (larsk@cs.umu.se) at the Department of Computing Science and HPC2N. Dead-line for applications is March 4, 2013. For the complete announcement, visit http://www8.umu.se/umu/aktuellt/arkiv/lediga_tjanster/313-114-13.html#eng ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------=20 PhD positions in Parallel and High-Performance Computing, Ume=E5 University, Sweden ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------=20 We are seeking outstanding candidates for PhD student posi...

CFP: Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks (PDCN) 2008 in Innsbruck, Austria
CALL FOR PAPERS The IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks ~PDCN 2008~ as part of the 26th IASTED International Multi-Conference on APPLIED INFORMATICS February 12 - 14, 2008 Innsbruck, Austria SPONSORS The International Association of Science and Technology for Development (IASTED) � Technical Committee on Parallel & Distributed Computing & Systems World Modelling and Simulation Forum (WMSF) CONFERENCE WEBSITE http://www.iasted.org/conferences/home-597.html IMPORTANT DEADLINES - EXTENDED Submissions due November 1, 2007 Notifica...

Distributed parallel computing without distributed server?
I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from programs written with the parallel toolbox without the distributed server? Or is the server more than just a scheduler; e.g. does it serve as Matlab's alternative to MPI in addition to actually scheduling the jobs? Thanks! "Mark " <mlohry@gmail.com> writes: > I have the parallel computing toolbox, but not the distributed computing > server. Is it possible to run distributed jobs on a local network cluster from > ...

CFP: IEEE-13th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC 2014 )
CALL FOR PAPERS ======================================= IEEE-13th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC 2014) http://iml.univ-mrs.fr/ati/conferences/ISPDC2014/ June 24 - 27, 2014 Porquerolles Island Aix-Marseille University, France TOPICS ======================================= Authors are invited to submit papers presenting original research and unpublished research work advancing the state of the art in the field for topics including, but not limited to: System Architectures for Parallel and Distributed Computing - Multi-Cores and Cluster Computing - Grid and Cloud Computing - Methods and Tools for Parallel and Distributed Programming - Embedded, Mobile and Networking Environments High Performance Computing and Large Scale Applications - Tools and Environments for Parallel Program Design/Analysis - Scalable Algorithms and Applications - Urban Networks and Applications, Vehicular Networks - Parallel, Distributed and Mobile big-Data Management Parallel Computing and Algorithms - Parallel Programming Paradigms and APIs - GPU Programming - Bio-inspired Parallel Algorithms - Algorithms, Models and Formal Verification Distributed and Embedded Computing - Collaborative Computing, P2P Computing... - Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing, Mobile Clouds - Web Services and Internet Computing - Distributed Software Components, Multi-agent Systems Perf...

CFP: Asia Pacific Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Technologies (ObcomAPC-2004, India)
We are organizing an Asia Pacific Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Technologies (ObcomAPC-2004). This Conference ObComAPC-2004 is a major event to be conducted following the grand success of ObCom : 2003, which was audited by a good number of participants from Academia and Industry across the Nation. ObCom : 2003 received good contributions right from leading educational institutions to corporate. ObCom-2003 attracted various governmental and non-governmental agencies like DRDO, ISTE, DIT, CSIR etc., to sponsor the program. ObComAPC : 2004 aims to promote the exploitation of ...

CFP: IEICE SI on Parallel/Distributed Computing and Networking (Deadline: March 31, 2005)
******************************************************************* Call for Papers IEICE Special Issue on Parallel/Distributed Computing and Networking (Submission deadline: March 31, 2005) (Publication: Feburary, 2006) (http://www.ieice.org/eng/s_issue/cfp/2006_2ED_P.pdf) ******************************************************************* Scope and Interests The IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems announces a forthcoming special section on "Parallel/Distributed Computing an...

Web resources about - CFP: EduPDHPC at SC-13 - Workshop on Parallel, Distributed, and High-Performance Computing in Undergraduate Curricula - comp.parallel

Talk:High Performance Magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Magazines , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of magazines on Wikipedia. If you ...

BigPipe: Pipelining web pages for high performance
Site speed is one of the most critical company goals for Facebook. In 2009, we successfully made Facebook site twice as fast, which was blogged ...

FutureWorks Consulting » Partnership and Possibilities for High Performance
Working with us, companies and individuals define the path toward their best work climate and highest performance. We’ll help you to create solutions ...

Facebook notifies advertisers of high-performance ad sets
Earlier this year, Facebook informed advertisers that the company is tweaking and adding levels to the campaign structure — going from campaign ...

Drum KIT HD - High Performance Drum Pad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Drum KIT HD - High Performance Drum Pad on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Skia Path Ops : High Performance Set Operations for Geometry - YouTube
Ask and vote for questions at https://developers.google.com/events/794092483/ Join us for a technical deep dive with Chrome engineer Cary Clark ...

Agrivita new high-performance camel feed packs fleet-footed promise
The new feed launch coincides with the end of the domestic camel racing season, with the UAE’s approximately 70,000 racing camels given several ...

Graeme Hick named Cricket Australia high performance coach
Former England Test batsman Graeme Hick has been appointed as the high performance coach at Cricket Australia's centre of excellence in Brisbane. ...

Vision for high-performance bionic eye jeopardised by lack of funds
Lack of funding may force Australia researchers to drop their promising work on a bionic eye.

Create Custom, High-Performance Video Walls with New Matrox Mura MPX-enabled Solutions from Advantech ...
CSO Australia - News, Industry Blogs, Tools and Resources for Data Security Executives