Parallel Computing under FreeBSD

Has anyone of you ever used LAM/MPI (Parallel Computing) under FreeBSD
and if so, How has it performed compared to a Linux machine running it.

Thanks

arctan1 (1)
7/15/2005 1:19:12 AM
comp.parallel 2866 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

parallel for loops without parallel computing toolbox
Is this possible? On 11-03-07 10:12 AM, Nathan Jensen wrote: > Is this possible? That depends on what you mean by "parallel for loops". Matlab has a published external interface. That interface could be used to call out to arbitrary routines that might _somehow_ do computations in parallel, such as by using OpenMP or POSIX Threads or using an operating-system-specific method. Or you could start multiple Matlab instances and have them communicate with each other somehow, such as via shared memory or TCP; there are a couple of Mathworks File Exchange (FEX) contributions for...

parallel computing, distributed computing
HI, I have an optimization code which has some part code is common and required as inputs for the two optimization routines within. However once this is done, the remaining could be run parallely independednt of each other and imrovized on the speed and finally the two results could be fetched in one single main optimization file and compared. Though i feel this could be done, i do not knopw the exact procedure as well do not know if there is some setting to be done in matlab and modify my main code as well. Please note i have matlab 2007b and distributed computing toolbox v3.2. I...

CALL FOR PAPERS: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION
Could you pl post the following message to comp.parallel? thanks S. Rajasekaran ********************************************************************************** CALL FOR PAPERS Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION We live in an era where every application of interest in science and engineering has to deal with a large amount of data. For instance, genomic data in biology is quite extensive. In homeland security, voluminous data of different kinds arise. Many of these applications demand real-time or near real-time performance. This special issue is aimed at bringing together both theoreticians and practitioners who work on information extraction techniques for large amounts of data. Given the volume of data to be operated on, parallelism becomes inevitable. Parallelism paves the way for near real-time performance. This special issue deals with varied types of data such as market, biological, text, image, etc. The special issue will contain both invited and submitted papers. Topics of interest for this special issue include but are not limited to: Data Reduction Techniques; Clustering Techniques; Approximation Algorithms; Data Mining Techniques; Text Mining Tools; Locally Linear Embedding, SVD, Fast Map, etc.; Data Structures; Implementation Experience; Parallel out-of-core models Please submit an electronic copy of your manuscript by ...

parallel computing in distributed computing server
Hi, there, Is there some way that can use the parallel computing code such as parfor or spmd in the distributed computing server? I currently ran a test for comparing the difference between the parallel toolbox with in stand alone mode in a computer with two CPUs, and the distributed computing server in two computers(each of them using just one CPU). I found the computing capabilities are pretty much the same with each other. I was curious how to run a parallel computing in the distributed server. Thanks, Wei Wei, The Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT) serves two purposes: leverage...

Parallel in, Parallel out shift register
I am trying to synthesize and simulate a parallel shift register that keeps shifting the input data as long as the enable pin is active. entity shift_out is Port ( --Inputs clk : in std_logic; en : in std_logic; rst : in std_logic; in1 : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); -- Outputs shift_val : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) ); end entity shift_out; architecture arch of shift_out is signal shift_t1 : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) := (others => '0'); .... process (clk, rst, in1, en) is begin if rst = '1' then shift_t1 &...

parallel while loops not running in parallel
I am collecting data from a PCI 4351 board and a 6070E board. These are connected to a TC 2190 and a BNC 2090. I do not need exact sychronization, however I do need them to collect data at different rates. Currently I am using two while loops to perform this, but they run sequentially in stead of simultaneously, that is, the second while loop waits for the first one to finish before running. Is there any way I can get these to run both at the same time instead of one after the other? Parallel Whiles.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/326678/1/Parallel Whiles.vi Your two loops are calling the same SubVI, and that VI is not reentrant, so only one instance can be in memory at a time.  Therefore, one loop will have to wait for the other loop to release control of the AI Read before it can access the AI Read.   One option is to save AI Read as something else (maybe in your user.lib) and make it reentrant, but it actually calls AI Buffer Read which also uses non-reentrant VIs.  I would suggest looking at your timing to see if you can make it as exclusionary as possible. Thanks for the reply, is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do? I was thinking maybe using a sequence and switching off between the two. Any way you do it, you're going to have to sequentially read from the data buffer, and the implementation you have now may be the fastest, if not the most accurate.  I would recommend that you either put a wait...

Parallel threads is parallel proces
Hello all, On one of our Solaris 5.10 systems we have a database running Oracle 10.2.0.3. We have parallel_max_servers set to 100. I was surprised to see that a ps -Lef shows 258 parallel threads per parallel server process. See output below. ps -ef|grep p00 oracle 20780 1 0 Sep 02 ? 776:08 ora_p007_P835 oracle 20776 1 0 Sep 02 ? 525:32 ora_p005_P835 oracle 20778 1 0 Sep 02 ? 517:40 ora_p006_P835 oracle 20784 1 0 Sep 02 ? 532:26 ora_p009_P835 oracle 20782 1 0 Sep 02 ? 531:50 ora_p008_P835 oracle 20774 1 0 Sep 02 ? 498:28 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20768 1 0 Sep 02 ? 496:59 ora_p001_P835 oracle 20770 1 0 Sep 02 ? 495:00 ora_p002_P835 oracle 20772 1 0 Sep 02 ? 543:02 ora_p003_P835 oramgr 17883 17839 0 09:03:29 pts/3 0:00 grep p00 oracle 20766 1 0 Sep 02 ? 586:22 ora_p000_P835 ps -Lef|grep 20774 oracle 20774 1 1 258 0 Sep 02 ? 451:42 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 2 258 0 Sep 02 ? 0:12 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 3 258 0 Sep 02 ? 0:00 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 4 258 0 Sep 02 ? 8:55 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 5 258 0 Sep 02 ? 0:05 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 6 258 0 Sep 02 ? 9:01 ora_p004_P835 oracle 20774 1 7 258 0 Sep...

Multicore distributed computing
I'm running R2008B on a 2 PC cluster (XP Pro). Each PC has four cores. I've confirmed that the Matlab distributed computing toolboox and parallel computing toolbox are properly installed and running on both machines. 4 green checks appear when I validate through the configuration manager. Max number of workers set to 16. My question: I want to confirm that when I run a job all 4 cores on each machine are utilized for a total of 8 cores. My error when I try to open a pool with 8 cores is below. Is there another command I should try? Thanks. >> matlabpool open 8 Starti...

parallel computing
Hi All, While working on a project, I discovered lots of little opportunities for real parallelism. For instance, the following class initialization: from pg import DB class example: def __init__(self): # find somehow HOST1, HOST2 self.member1=DB('database1',host=HOST1).query("SELECT...").getresult() self.member2=self.my_aux_func() # some more processing here self.member3=DB('database1',host=HOST2).query("SELECT...").getresult() # other things here will ask other physical computers to do some of the work... and wait for the resu...

Parallel LZ4 and my Parallel LZO...
... Hello, I have downloaded the C version of the following compression algorithm: http://code.google.com/p/lz4/ They say that it's the fastest, so i have compiled it into a DLL with mingw to use it from FreePascal and Delphi, so i have wrote the interface and all was working perfectly, but when i have benchmarked the parallel LZ4 , that i have wrote, against my Parallel LZO algorithm , i have noticed that they have the almost the same speed on compression and decompression but my Parallel LZO is 7% better on compression ratio than Parallel LZ4 , so i have decided to not include Parallel LZ4 algorithm inside my Parallel Archiver, so if you want to compress Terabytes files i advice you to use my Parallel LZO algorithm with my Parallel Archiver. My Parallel archiver is very stable now, and you can download it from: http://pages.videotron.com/aminer/ Best Regards, Amine Moulay Ramdane. ...

Parallel computations
Hello, I have no experience with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors. It possible to use them to parallel computations, say using Personal Grid? Thanks for any advice. Stefan Porubsky Hi, yes Regards Jens Stefan Porubsky wrote: > Hello, > > I have no experience with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors. It > possible to use them to parallel computations, say using Personal Grid? > > Thanks for any advice. > > Stefan Porubsky > > if you are a fortran or C programmer, a multi-core processor will benefit you. so does ...

Parallels or BootCamp? - -
I paid a heck of a price today for being senile. Completely messed up a backup file itself. Usually make a backup of my backup, but in this case I did not do it soon enough. Waaaah, it is going to take me months to recover from this, I had a whole bunch of stuff on that Mac. Looking at the good side of this, it forced me to make a decision I have been trying to make for over a year. Parallels or BootCamp? - - - BootCamp or Parallels? REALLY tough choice, at least for me. How one chooses depends a lot on the applications one is trying to run. I am going to switch back to usin...

USB to PARALLEL (not PARALLEL to USB)
I'm trying to connect a USB printer to a Print Server that only has a Parallel Port. I wouldn't think that combination would be so unique, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I think this cable would have a USB "B" socket plugging into the printer and the other end would be a DB25 Male socket, that plugs into the DB25 Female socket in the back of print server. Can't seem to find any adaptors or gender changers, even wireless options to accomplish this and really, really don't want to trash the print server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

[...]

CALL FOR PAPERS -- Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing at the 9th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models -- IPDPS
*** CALL FOR PAPERS *** 2007 International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing *** Submission Deadline December 4th 2006 *** As part of the Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computing Models (APDCM), the aim of this special session is to focus on computer systems that can scale to many thousands of processing elements and are used to solve a single problem. The focus is on identifying new and novel ideas rather than proving incremental advances. By concurrently exploring architecture, programming models, algorithms and applications, the session seeks to advance the state-of-the-art of Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems. Following the usual IPDPS practice, all MPP papers will be published in the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS). Topics of Interest: The topics of interest to this special session are: (+) Architectures and Experimental Systems: the use of increased parallelism on a single chip (MPP on a chip), the coordination and communication between massive numbers of processing elements, the use of processors in memory (PIMS), and parallelism in emerging technologies. (+) Large-scale Computing: the utilization of MPPs for large-scale computing, achieving peta-scale levels of processing, use of heterogeneous processing capabilities. (+) Paralleli...

[...]

parallel computing using Cell Computing Model
Hi, i've written an open source C++ framework for Cell Computing. Cell Computing is alike grid computing, but is leant on the biologic. If you are interested please visit http://www.xatlanits.ch. Unfortunately not all documents are available in english yet. All ideas and improvments are welcome :-) -- ...

parallel computing on a six-core local computer
Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on remote computers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! richard "Richard Liu" <richardkailiu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hrhupd$2v3$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the > maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. I believe that is the correct behavior, assuming you have just Parallel Computing Toolbox. To use more than 8 local workers, or to use workers across multiple machines, you will need MATLAB Distributed Computing Server as well. > This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway > to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local > machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server > toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on > remote computers. That is not the case. Could you post the URL of the documentation page that gave you that impression, so that our d...

parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox
Hi, Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg: " License checkout failed. License Manager Error -4 Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached. Try again later. To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator. Troubleshoot this issue by visiting: http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4 Diagnostic Information: Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox License pa...

serial to parallel and parallel to serial conversion
Hello, I am simulating MC-CDMA/MC-DS-CDMA(using Walsh-Hadamard code in Rayleigh fading Channel + AWGN) using Matlab/Simulink. Do anyone knows how to do the serial to parallel and parallel to serial conversion of the data? Thanks! "Mikail " <mikailidirs@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message <flmn52$d1i$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello, > I am simulating MC-CDMA/MC-DS-CDMA(using Walsh-Hadamard code > in Rayleigh fading Channel + AWGN) using Matlab/Simulink. Do > anyone knows how to do the serial to parallel and parallel > to serial conversion of the data? Thanks! h...

parallel processors connecting parallel processors
a tiny instruction set, for separating data from function reference(s), ( a representation of a hardware model dichotomization of data and function reference, separate parameter and return stack, ( PATENT PEND., "The Wheel", HoHoHE, :)) explicitly 0< AND XOR DROP OVER DUP @ ! 2* 2/ >R R> INVERT + implicitly JUMP_IF_ZERO JUMP CALL RETURN LITERAL enhanced with a second and third parameter stack, in parallel, for simulating VLIW address protect executable cache. basic machine concept link, enhanced with a second and third parameter stack along the diagonal of the N by...

About my Parallel compression library and my Parallel archiver...
... Hello, I have downloaded Easy compression library that costs you 149$ and more... Here it is: http://www.componentace.com/ecl_features.htm And i have noticed that it supports three compression algorithms: Zlib, Bzip and PPM, and i have tried to benchmark it against my Parallel compression library and i have found that the Easy compression library with maximum level compression that is ppmMax(with PPM maximum compression level) has less compression ratio than my Parallel compression library with maximum level compression that is clLZMAMax(LZMA with maximum compression level), try it yourself and see, so my Parallel compression library and Parallel archiver are better on compression ratio. If we take a look know at the performance and scalability, my Parallel my Parallel compression library and my Parallel archiver are very fast , you can even use my Parallel archiver as a hashtable from the harddisk with O(1) access, and they can scale with the number of cores, Easy compression library can not. If we take a look at the Relibalitity, my Parallel compression library and my Parallel archiver are very stable now, and they don't take too much memory ressources. If we take a look also at the usability , my Parallel compression library and my Parallel archiver are very easy to use. My Parallel compression library supports Parallel LZMA,Parallel Bzip,Parallel LZ,Parallel LZO and Parallel Gzip compression algorithms, and my...

What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host?
What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host? These show up every time I boot up on my System Preference Network screen. Yes, I know they have something to do with Parallels running on my Mac but why the network connection? Is Parallels monitoring what I do or is there some need to connect with their server to run virtual windows with Windows and Linux? Thank for any answers that are helpful. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com ** In article <hasta-73692F.10193913072008@free.teranews.com>, hasta la vista <hasta@lavista.org> wrote: > What are Parallels NAT and Par...

[...]

Web resources about - Parallel Computing under FreeBSD - comp.parallel

Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the formal concept of computation, see computation . For the magazine, see Computing (magazine) . For the scientific journal, see Computing ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Apple Signs Deal To Use Google’s Cloud Computing
More and more businesses are moving their computing platform to the cloud. Cloud computing is the term given to accessing computer and database ...

The coolest thing Sony has built in years might show us the future of computing
... the coolest examples of this back in October when we told you about the MUV Bird, which you can read about here . While the idea that our computing ...

Here's how much computing power Google DeepMind needed to beat Lee Sedol at Go
Google DeepMind may have made history by beating the world champion of Chinese board game Go on Wednesday but it needed an awful lot of computing ...

Skyport Raises $30M from GV and Cisco Investments to Ramp Delivery of Zero-Trust Secure Computing Infrastructure ...
Skyport Systems, the company redefining enterprise security architecture, today announced a $30 million round of funding, enabling the company ...

Quanta partners with Ericsson for cloud computing datacenter business
Quanta Computer has partnered with telecom equipment maker Ericsson to push the cloud computing datacenter market and the cooperation is expected ...

Hybrid Cloud Spurs IoT, Cognitive Computing, More: IBM
A new IBM report shows leading enterprises using hybrid cloud as a launching point for next-generation initiatives like IoT and cognitive computing. ...

GPU computing breakthrough? Cloud rendering company claims to run CUDA on non-Nvidia GPUs
The cloud rendering company Otoy is claiming to have invented a new software translation layer that would allow Nvidia's CUDA to run on a variety ...