parallel computing using Cell Computing Model

Hi, i've written an open source C++ framework for Cell Computing. Cell
Computing is alike grid computing, but is leant on the biologic. If you
are interested please visit http://www.xatlanits.ch. Unfortunately not
all documents are available in english yet. All ideas and improvments
are welcome :-)

b_hadorn (13)
1/8/2007 4:19:59 PM
comp.parallel 2866 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

parallel computing, distributed computing
HI, I have an optimization code which has some part code is common and required as inputs for the two optimization routines within. However once this is done, the remaining could be run parallely independednt of each other and imrovized on the speed and finally the two results could be fetched in one single main optimization file and compared. Though i feel this could be done, i do not knopw the exact procedure as well do not know if there is some setting to be done in matlab and modify my main code as well. Please note i have matlab 2007b and distributed computing toolbox v3.2. I...

CALL FOR PAPERS -- Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing at the 9th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models -- IPDPS
*** CALL FOR PAPERS *** 2007 International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models Special Session on Massively Parallel Processing *** Submission Deadline December 4th 2006 *** As part of the Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computing Models (APDCM), the aim of this special session is to focus on computer systems that can scale to many thousands of processing elements and are used to solve a single problem. The focus is on identifying new and novel ideas rather than proving incremental advances. By concurrently exploring architecture, programming models, algorithms and applications, the session seeks to advance the state-of-the-art of Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) systems. Following the usual IPDPS practice, all MPP papers will be published in the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS). Topics of Interest: The topics of interest to this special session are: (+) Architectures and Experimental Systems: the use of increased parallelism on a single chip (MPP on a chip), the coordination and communication between massive numbers of processing elements, the use of processors in memory (PIMS), and parallelism in emerging technologies. (+) Large-scale Computing: the utilization of MPPs for large-scale computing, achieving peta-scale levels of processing, use of heterogeneous processing capabilities. (+) Paralleli...

parallel computing in distributed computing server
Hi, there, Is there some way that can use the parallel computing code such as parfor or spmd in the distributed computing server? I currently ran a test for comparing the difference between the parallel toolbox with in stand alone mode in a computer with two CPUs, and the distributed computing server in two computers(each of them using just one CPU). I found the computing capabilities are pretty much the same with each other. I was curious how to run a parallel computing in the distributed server. Thanks, Wei Wei, The Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT) serves two purposes: leverage...

Multicore distributed computing
I'm running R2008B on a 2 PC cluster (XP Pro). Each PC has four cores. I've confirmed that the Matlab distributed computing toolboox and parallel computing toolbox are properly installed and running on both machines. 4 green checks appear when I validate through the configuration manager. Max number of workers set to 16. My question: I want to confirm that when I run a job all 4 cores on each machine are utilized for a total of 8 cores. My error when I try to open a pool with 8 cores is below. Is there another command I should try? Thanks. >> matlabpool open 8 Starti...

[...]

parallel for loops without parallel computing toolbox
Is this possible? On 11-03-07 10:12 AM, Nathan Jensen wrote: > Is this possible? That depends on what you mean by "parallel for loops". Matlab has a published external interface. That interface could be used to call out to arbitrary routines that might _somehow_ do computations in parallel, such as by using OpenMP or POSIX Threads or using an operating-system-specific method. Or you could start multiple Matlab instances and have them communicate with each other somehow, such as via shared memory or TCP; there are a couple of Mathworks File Exchange (FEX) contributions for...

parallel computing on a six-core local computer
Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on remote computers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! richard "Richard Liu" <richardkailiu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hrhupd$2v3$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, I just bought a six-core desktop (12 Threads) and discovered that the > maximum worker allowed by the parallel computing toolbox is eight workers. I believe that is the correct behavior, assuming you have just Parallel Computing Toolbox. To use more than 8 local workers, or to use workers across multiple machines, you will need MATLAB Distributed Computing Server as well. > This is really disappointing, and I am just wondering if there is anyway > to fully utilize the 12 processes and have 12 workers on one local > machine. I browsed the help guide for the Distributed Computing Server > toolbox and it seems it only works when you'd like to create workers on > remote computers. That is not the case. Could you post the URL of the documentation page that gave you that impression, so that our d...

parallel computing toolbox without distributive computing toolbox
Hi, Is it true that the parallel computing toolbox won't work if the distributive computing toolbox has not been installed? Because then if I type in 'matlabpool', I received the following err msg: " License checkout failed. License Manager Error -4 Maximum number of users for Distrib_Computing_Toolbox reached. Try again later. To see a list of current users use the lmstat utility or contact your License Administrator. Troubleshoot this issue by visiting: http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/R2008b/4 Diagnostic Information: Feature: Distrib_Computing_Toolbox License pa...

Parallel Computing GA for simulink model
I'm struggling to run a built-in GA code in a parallel computing mode for simulink model. The simulink model contains the fuzzy block. Below is the options that I've used. %%%% options = GAOPTIMSET('UseParallel','always'); matlabpool open [x] = ga(@(x)evaluate_objective(x,params),....); function f = evaluate_objective(x,params) FuzGain = x; GenerateFuzzyBlock(FuzGain); % This is a user-defined function to generate fuzzy 'FIS' file. load_system('model'); set_param('model','PreloadFcn','SetSysParams'); sim('mode...

Constructing a Parallel Computers using Macs
My son has an idea of making a parallel computer using older Apple Macintosh computers . there is only some lit on a project to make a parallel computer using new mac G5s using Mac OS X. Does anyone have any information about constructing a parallel computer with older Macs ? thanks Assuming your son is doing this for school or fun, if he picks the right problem he can get away with using ethernet between the processors (cheap!). He just has to ensure that there isn't much communication compared to the computation. A fun project would be computing fractals. Carve the image space into blocks, have a master computer in charge of feeding blocks to slave nodes as they're needed. He can play with block size to see how to optimize the program. In other words, G5s or macs, doesn't much matter. Have fun. frank dowling wrote: > My son has an idea of making a parallel computer using older Apple > Macintosh computers . > there is only some lit on a project to make a parallel computer using > new mac G5s using Mac OS X. > Does anyone have any information about constructing a parallel > computer with older Macs ? ...

parallel computing
Hi All, While working on a project, I discovered lots of little opportunities for real parallelism. For instance, the following class initialization: from pg import DB class example: def __init__(self): # find somehow HOST1, HOST2 self.member1=DB('database1',host=HOST1).query("SELECT...").getresult() self.member2=self.my_aux_func() # some more processing here self.member3=DB('database1',host=HOST2).query("SELECT...").getresult() # other things here will ask other physical computers to do some of the work... and wait for the resu...

Parallel computations
Hello, I have no experience with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors. It possible to use them to parallel computations, say using Personal Grid? Thanks for any advice. Stefan Porubsky Hi, yes Regards Jens Stefan Porubsky wrote: > Hello, > > I have no experience with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors. It > possible to use them to parallel computations, say using Personal Grid? > > Thanks for any advice. > > Stefan Porubsky > > if you are a fortran or C programmer, a multi-core processor will benefit you. so does ...

wavelet transform using parallel computing
How can I compute a third level 1-D wavelet transform of an array of values, using a window of 2 and then,its energy? Right now, using a normal for loop takes too much time,instead I would like to get the entire process done in parallel. ...

Is there a recommended configuration for a Numbercruncher (Using Parallel computing)
Hi, could perhaps someone give me a recommendation on what to by for a numbercruncher. I'm thinking of an 8core(2chips) Intel Xeon X5460 at 3.16 GHz?, alternatively an 8core(4chips) Intel Xeon 7130M at 3.2 GHz?. Which operating system is preferable and what are the restrictions regarding Matlab, to get maximum performance. Are these machine configurations fully supported - Does Matlab (current release) use all cores? Thanks for your help what kind of numbercrunching? RAM would be a very important aspect you seemed to have ignored. (I assume this processor...

Use another Computer for computation
Hi, I've two computer: -an old portable (A); -a new gen desktop (B); Is there a way to write the code in the computer A and the do the computation with computer B trought internet or wi-fi? (Think computer B as a server and A as a client). Thanks. ...

Speeding up Image Processing Using Parallel Computing Toolbox?
When I write image processing programs, I usually apply morphological operations and regionprops. The function regionprops gets prohibitively slow when there are many objects. The morphological operations are another bottle neck, even though not such big a problem. Is it possible to speed up these operations with Parallel Computing Toolbox? An example program looks like this: function MyProgram() % Image is loaded and segmented. GrayscaleImage = imread('coins.png'); Threshold = rand(1); ThresholdedImage = im2bw(GrayscaleImage, Threshold); ObjectImage NumberOfObjects = bwlabel(Th...

CALL FOR PAPERS: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION
Could you pl post the following message to comp.parallel? thanks S. Rajasekaran ********************************************************************************** CALL FOR PAPERS Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Special Issue on PARALLEL TECHNIQUES FOR INFORMATION EXTRACTION We live in an era where every application of interest in science and engineering has to deal with a large amount of data. For instance, genomic data in biology is quite extensive. In homeland security, voluminous data of different kinds arise. Many of these applications demand real-time or near real-time performance. This special issue is aimed at bringing together both theoreticians and practitioners who work on information extraction techniques for large amounts of data. Given the volume of data to be operated on, parallelism becomes inevitable. Parallelism paves the way for near real-time performance. This special issue deals with varied types of data such as market, biological, text, image, etc. The special issue will contain both invited and submitted papers. Topics of interest for this special issue include but are not limited to: Data Reduction Techniques; Clustering Techniques; Approximation Algorithms; Data Mining Techniques; Text Mining Tools; Locally Linear Embedding, SVD, Fast Map, etc.; Data Structures; Implementation Experience; Parallel out-of-core models Please submit an electronic copy of your manuscript by ...

Using a computer's parallel port to power switches on a robot
I am trying to build a robot using an older laptop and some automobile windshield wiper motors. I have Debian Linux (Lenny) installed on the laptop and intend on using SSH over WiFi to communicate with the laptop on board the robot. The wiper motors are 12 volts. I'm interested in using the parallel port of the laptop to power mechanical switches to control the wiper motors. It wouldn't actually power the motor, just the switches to turn the motors on and off. I was wondering if anyone's had experience using the parallel port to communicate with switches and if so,...

Parallel Computing and "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." error generated from an executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key" file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the same time, and hence, the error is generated. First of all, is my assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor loop successfully. Any help is greatly appreciated, please. Irteza "Syed " <irtezaa@gatech.edu> writes: > while using parfor loop, I get "The process cannot access the file > because it is being used by another process." error generated from an > executable function embedded in the parfor loop. The function opens a > file "tmp.key" and writes an image file "tmp.pgm" into "tmp.key" > file. However, it seems that when this parfor loop runs on parallel > processors, the processors are unable to access this "tmp.key" at the > same time, and hence, the error is generated. First of all, is my > assesment correct? secondly, how to resolve this issue and use parfor > loop successfully. > > Any help is greatly appreciated, please. It sounds like your assessment is correct. By ...

Parallel Computing & Distributed Server: Efficient Use of Multi-Core Workstation
Dear all, I'm very new to the parallel computation using Matlab and I have several questions regarding the efficient parallel computations using a single Multi-Core workstation. My situation is: Aim: Run exact same codes in parallel (~16 or more) where each code takes about a day for the execution. Single Workstation: OS: openSUSE (64bits) 16 CPUs : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E5520 with 4 cores & 8 threads each. 4 x 16 = 64 cores in total 8 x 16 = 128 threads in total maxNumCompThreads can set the total number of threads upto 512 (I'm not very sure why the maxi...

Using Condor With Matlab to run jobs in parallel among many computers in my lab.
Hello, I have recently heard of a program called Condor which can be used with Matlab to run jobs in parallel among many computers in my lab. I have downloaded the software but can't seem to set it up correctly to connect to it. I believe I need to change the configuration file "condor_config" but I'm not sure what to change in it. I expected to set up condor and set it as my default parallel configuration in Matlab so I could send batch jobs to it and have it run on other computers. I was wondering if anyone has used Condor for this purpose before? How do I set i...

Merging in parallel computation
Hi everyone, We are a research group working on classic algorithms on PRAM. One of the dominant papers on merging, sorting and searching in parallel is published by C. P. Kruskal in IEEE Trans. on Computer in 1983. I have looked up ieeexplore and searched other databases for this paper, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available online. We would appreciate it if someone could guide us on how to get this paper. We could also use further information on latest works on parallel merging algorithms. We are particularly interested in time-efficient algorithms on CREW. Regards, bme [Moderator: Depending where you are (say in the US), contact a public library or better a University library and get an interlibrary loan copy. %A Clyde P. Kruskal %T Searching, Merging, and Sorting in Parallel Computation %J IEEE Transactions on Computers %V C-32 %N 10 %D October 1983 %P 942-946 %K Ricase, comparison problems, computational complexity, merging, parallel computation, searching, sorting, ] -- ...

Parallel computing #16
Dear Friends, I want to accelerate my code by the use of parallel computing. I have following quarries : My code is a simple m file which invokes a number of underlying functions in a For loop. The underlying functions have also a number of For loops and none of them are suitable for 'Parfor' application according my understanding. I still want to check the possibility of parallel computing , hence I need to know, what is the best way to approach this problem. Thanks and regards, Chirag "Chirag Joshi" <chirag.joshi@ism.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote in message <hc...

Standalone Parallel Computing
Does anybody know how to set the "ParallelConfigurationFile" for a standalone application? I use a ParallelConfigurationFile, but an error occures: // ************************* Parallel configuration file "jobmanagerStandalone.mat" defines a configuration c alled "jobmanagerStandalone" that specifies a local scheduler. The local scheduler cannot be used in deployed applications. To specify a valid scheduler set the "ParallelConfigurationFile" MCR userdata key to the full path of a parallel configuration file. // ************************ On Thu, 29 ...

Web resources about - parallel computing using Cell Computing Model - comp.parallel

Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the formal concept of computation, see computation . For the magazine, see Computing (magazine) . For the scientific journal, see Computing ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Apple Signs Deal To Use Google’s Cloud Computing
More and more businesses are moving their computing platform to the cloud. Cloud computing is the term given to accessing computer and database ...

The coolest thing Sony has built in years might show us the future of computing
... the coolest examples of this back in October when we told you about the MUV Bird, which you can read about here . While the idea that our computing ...

Here's how much computing power Google DeepMind needed to beat Lee Sedol at Go
Google DeepMind may have made history by beating the world champion of Chinese board game Go on Wednesday but it needed an awful lot of computing ...

Skyport Raises $30M from GV and Cisco Investments to Ramp Delivery of Zero-Trust Secure Computing Infrastructure ...
Skyport Systems, the company redefining enterprise security architecture, today announced a $30 million round of funding, enabling the company ...

Quanta partners with Ericsson for cloud computing datacenter business
Quanta Computer has partnered with telecom equipment maker Ericsson to push the cloud computing datacenter market and the cooperation is expected ...

Hybrid Cloud Spurs IoT, Cognitive Computing, More: IBM
A new IBM report shows leading enterprises using hybrid cloud as a launching point for next-generation initiatives like IoT and cognitive computing. ...

GPU computing breakthrough? Cloud rendering company claims to run CUDA on non-Nvidia GPUs
The cloud rendering company Otoy is claiming to have invented a new software translation layer that would allow Nvidia's CUDA to run on a variety ...