Are today's Adventure Games any different from the 90's Adventure Games?

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on this newsgroup. Are today's Adventu=
re Games any different from the Adventure Games in the Nineties? I have loo=
ked at reviews on Adventure Gamers about new Adventure Games. It appears to=
 me that Adventure Games are no different today than they were 20 years ago=
.. It's look like L.A Noire is well worth to buy. With L.A Noire, is the puz=
zle design different from the old Sierra and LucasArts?=20

Robert
0
Robert
7/14/2012 4:18:21 AM
comp.pc.games.adventure 2998 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Here, Robert Perrett <rtperrett@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I posted on this newsgroup. Are today's
> Adventure Games any different from the Adventure Games in the
> Nineties?

Not if you restrict your definition of "adventure games" to "games
that work just like games did twenty years ago".

There are strong retro niches for games that use exactly the same
forms as in the 90s. (I, myself, am currently working on a game in
exactly the same form as the stuff I played in the 80s.) There's
nothing wrong with that, of course -- if you make a game that people
want to play, you win.

On the other hand, there are games that take old forms and build the
next generation of whatever it is they're doing. _Dear Esther_ is
_Myst_, except it's taking a storytelling approach to environment and
pacing that's completely unlike _Myst_. _Botanicula_ (which I just
finished) is a flash casual point-and-click from the 00s -- I don't
recall much like it from the 90s -- except it's scaled up to a
full-length story. _Echo Bazaar_ is a CYOA text game, except it's been
rebuilt with RPG mechanics underlying the text narrative. _FRACT_ is
some kind of musical universe thing, I don't even know what, I haven't
been able to get the demo to run.

And so on.

--Z

*
0
Andrew
7/14/2012 4:55:56 AM
On 7/13/2012 9:18 PM, Robert Perrett wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It's been a long time since I posted on this newsgroup. Are today's
> Adventure Games any different from the Adventure Games in the
> Nineties? I have looked at reviews on Adventure Gamers about new
> Adventure Games. It appears to me that Adventure Games are no
> different today than they were 20 years ago. It's look like L.A Noire
> is well worth to buy. With L.A Noire, is the puzzle design different
> from the old Sierra and LucasArts?

Hi and welcome back. You have resurfaced at a good time. Bunch of
adventure games are about to come out via Kickstarter funding, which
include Jane Jensen's Moebius, a Tex Murphy sequel, Tim Schafer and Ron
Gilbert's classic adventure, a game by space quest creators etc. Then
there are indie developers like Wadjeteye
(http://www.wadjeteyegames.com) whose last few adventure titles (Gemini
Rue, Resonance) have been more than decent. An then there are still few
occasional adventure games coming through the traditional
publisher-based channels.

Regarding LA Noire specifically, it's a good game. It somewhat resembles
the old Police Quest titles (especially Police Quest 3). You collect
clues and suspect names, and then question other people about them.
There's even an equivalent to pixel hunting in there. Graphics wise, it
has the best facial animation I have ever seen in a game.
--
Noman
0

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

What's the best pc adventure game
Doom 3 was a disappointment to me. All the other Dooms were pretty good. Unreal and Quake are great. Does anyone know what is the best pc game out there now? "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message news:dSEnf.19$vx.0@fed1read01... > Doom 3 was a disappointment to me. All the other Dooms were pretty good. > Unreal and Quake are great. Does anyone know what is the best pc game out > there now? > What do you mean by "adventure game"? FarCry, Deus Ex, FEAR, Half Life2, Chronicles of Riddick. These are not, however, adventure games - n...

What's the earliest adventure game that didn't have dying in it?
The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally. What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off? Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest games? What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you? It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it? Jenny100 wrote: > The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off > occasionally. An understatement, to be sure! (Did their later adventures ever soften this brutal tendancy? Not to the best of my recollection... their Manhunter games, at least, would let...

I miss the 80's/early 90's PC/C64 games
Hero's Quest, Police Quest, Pools of Radiance, Zork, Eye of the Beholder, Legend of Kyrandia, Out of this world aka Another World, Wasteland, Fallout, Doom, Duke Nukem, Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle, Fandango, Montazuma's Revenge (C64) and so many more. From Atari, to the Commodore 64, to the PC, the 80's and early 90's were great for being a gamer. For the time, these games were great. Lots of great stories, lots of humor, decent action, great graphcis (again, for the time) , great immersion... just tons of FUN. What the heck happened!? Since then.. and for the...

[News] Microsoft's Game to Lose and Microsoft's Game to Cheat
Microsoft's Game to Lose ,----[ Quote ] | If Vista, over time, fails to meet the market's high expectations, | a good chunk of last year's gains could evaporate. In other words, | Vista is now Microsoft's game to lose. `---- http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB117046721421997023-6z_ntXi4h4DtYvtFZCp1yIPyOOU_20070305.html?mod=mktw http://tinyurl.com/2n3otv Contra-indications for Ecma 376 spec, still not rebutted ,----[ Quote ] | Ecma 376 is known by various other names including DOCX, MOOX, OOXML, | EOOXML and MS Office Open XML. The profusion of alternate namings make...

Looking for information on Kim R. (Reid?) Schuette
Hi all, This is probably a strange interest, but it directly relates to the fun a l= ot of us had gaming back in the 80's on our Commodore. Kim Schuette played most of his games on an Apple II, but the information a= nd hints that he came up with helped the entire gaming community. I remember seeing volume 1 back in the 80's, but I was never fortunate enou= gh to find one for myself until a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed reading the introduction to the games, the maps, and the h= ints - even if I wasn't playing the game. Looking back, he was probably one of the ...

Need advise on specs on highend 1990's pc that can play 80/90's games
Hi, Figured this may be a good group for this question since action gamers are more into hardware than most other genre. If Im wrong, sorry. Anyway I been getting nostalgic lately over the old games I can no longer play on my AMD 2400+, Radeon 9700pro, Audigy 2, Win XPpro system. Most of the time the video or sound doesn't work right. I want to find an old pc that will run all of the games from the 90's and early 80's if possible. However Im forget what specs I would need. Processor? Memory? Sound Blaster? video card? Maybe a 2D card (which one?) and Voodoo 3DFX card etc etc et...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

'Castle Draconia' -- the 'pass-along' adventure game!
I've thought of creating a 'pass-along' adventure game for many years now. I've decided to start the ball rolling and help begin the design of a game I'll tentatively call 'Castle Draconia'. The idea is for others to slowly add to the game, adding in additional rooms, items, objects, monsters, verbs, nouns, quests, combat, etc. The game should be written on the Commodore 128 (for the room descriptions at least) in 128 mode (40 columns). But it should run fine in 64 mode, too. Type 'run 63000' to save your current work in progress to disk. It scratches fir...

FA: HUGE LOT of PC CDROMs: Games, Photo Utils, Adventure, Linux, Kai's, Atlas, Maps, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320009243392 ...

FA: HUGE LOT of PC CDROMs: Games, Photo Utils, Adventure, Linux, Kai's, Atlas, Maps, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320009243392 ...

FA: 1-Day-Left: HUGE LOT of PC CDROMs: Games, Photo Utils, Adventure, Linux, Kai's, Atlas, Maps, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320009243392 ...

FA: 1-Day-Left: HUGE LOT of PC CDROMs: Games, Photo Utils, Adventure, Linux, Kai's, Atlas, Maps, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320009243392 ...

Why CD's vice DVD's for U.S. games??
This has been discussed before, but....... Explain to me again why new games continue to be released in the U.S. on CD's? I just don't get it. Sure some gamers (maybe a majority in these ng's) homebrew their pc's and only install CD drives (Why? I can't imagine), but most gamers probably buy them off-the-shelf from big bundlers.....and for at least the last 3 years (maybe longer), those pc's have come stock with DVD drives. The only explanation I've read is: "Well, there's lots of folks in the U.S. with CD drives who are too stupid to know the d...

Web resources about - Are today's Adventure Games any different from the 90's Adventure Games? - comp.pc.games.adventure