running windows 98/2000/me games on windows XP

Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older
platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks
in advance for your help!

0
Jesus
12/25/2003 5:46:29 PM
comp.pc.games.adventure 2998 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

There is one for runng DOS, most games work farly good on XP...

Jesus Hernandez wrote:
> Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older
> platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
> Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks
> in advance for your help!

0
Chris
12/25/2003 7:41:13 PM
"Chris Simpson" <waxman80014@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> There is one for runng DOS, most games work farly good on XP...
>
> Jesus Hernandez wrote:
> > Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from
older
> > platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
> > Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP.
Thanks
> > in advance for your help!

I played dungeon Keeper 2 on XP without problems.
I also played alot of old games (prehistorik,beneath the steel sky,lure of
the temptres etc)
also without problems. I only had to turn the compatibility on.

0
The
12/25/2003 8:47:56 PM
Jesus Hernandez wrote:

> Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older
> platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
> Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks
> in advance for your help!

Most games written for Win95 or later will run under XP, and even
a good fraction of Win3 games.

Step one is to make sure your OS is fully updated. After
that, you sometimes you need to tweak the compatibility settings.
Right-click on the shortcut and select the
"compatibility" tab.  There are lots of options and sometimes
the magic combination is not the one you expect.

More popular games usually have advice at their website.

The biggest lingering problems I've found have to do with older
games not recognizing the CD drive under XP when asking
to swap discs.  In all cases, I've gotten around this by
just kludging things up to run from the hard disk.

DOS games might be a bigger problem.

-E

0
EjP
12/26/2003 5:24:16 PM
EjP wrote:
> Jesus Hernandez wrote:
>
>> Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from
>> older
>> platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
>> Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP.
>> Thanks
>> in advance for your help!
>>

> Most games written for Win95 or later will run under XP, and even
> a good fraction of Win3 games.
>
> Step one is to make sure your OS is fully updated. After
> that, you sometimes you need to tweak the compatibility settings.
> Right-click on the shortcut and select the
> "compatibility" tab.  There are lots of options and sometimes
> the magic combination is not the one you expect.
>
> More popular games usually have advice at their website.
>
> The biggest lingering problems I've found have to do with older
> games not recognizing the CD drive under XP when asking
> to swap discs.  In all cases, I've gotten around this by
> just kludging things up to run from the hard disk.
>
> DOS games might be a bigger problem.
>
> -E

There are some early Windows games that are really DOS games
that can play within Windows 95. These can be a problem if they
call for your sound card to be set up for sound in DOS.

Some people have said they've had games that ran in XP when
XP was installed on a FAT 32 partition, but didn't work when
XP was installed on an NTFS partition.

And sometimes the copy "protection" fails when the game is
run on XP, which prevents the game from running.

0
Jenny100
12/26/2003 8:35:47 PM
Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> There are some early Windows games that are really DOS
> games that can play within Windows 95. These can be a
> problem if they call for your sound card to be set up for
> sound in DOS.
>
> Some people have said they've had games that ran in XP when
> XP was installed on a FAT 32 partition, but didn't work
> when XP was installed on an NTFS partition.

That's because Dos can't 'see' NTFS. There is a way to set it
up so you have XP on a NTFS partition with a seperate FAT
partition for old games. However I'll be damned if I can
remember how I did it.

As it was to play Daggerfall then I suspect a google search
for Daggerfall and Win XP would turn up the info.
0
Lithurge
12/26/2003 8:39:41 PM
"Jesus Hernandez" <advjeh@gate.net> wrote in message
> Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from
older
> platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to
> Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks
> in advance for your help!

I just played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on XP, using Dosbox.
someone awhile back posted how to set it up for Dosbox, and it worked great,
totally bug-free.

0
audelair
12/29/2003 9:13:50 PM
"audelair" <iam80kNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:iO0Ib.25179
[snip]
> I just played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on XP, using Dosbox.
> someone awhile back posted how to set it up for Dosbox, and it worked
great,
> totally bug-free.

[snip]

Does anyone have that post saved?  Sure would appreciate the guidance. tia

0
Puzzled
12/29/2003 9:20:52 PM
Puzzled wrote:
> "audelair" <iam80kNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:iO0Ib.25179
> [snip]
>
>>I just played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on XP, using Dosbox.
>>someone awhile back posted how to set it up for Dosbox, and it worked
>
> great,
>
>>totally bug-free.
>

> [snip]
>
> Does anyone have that post saved?  Sure would appreciate the guidance. tia

Try here
http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~bfrazer1/gk/

0
Jenny100
12/29/2003 9:29:55 PM
"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:n11Ib.14345
> > [snip]
> >
> >>I just played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on XP, using Dosbox.
> >>someone awhile back posted how to set it up for Dosbox, and it worked
> > [snip]
> >
> > Does anyone have that post saved?  Sure would appreciate the guidance.
tia

> Try here
> http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~bfrazer1/gk/

Thanks, Jenny :)

0
Puzzled
12/29/2003 9:32:52 PM
> Puzzled wrote:
> > "audelair" <iam80kNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:iO0Ib.25179
> > [snip]
> >
> >>I just played Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on XP, using Dosbox.
> >>someone awhile back posted how to set it up for Dosbox, and it worked
> >
> > great,
> >
> >>totally bug-free.
> >

> > [snip]
> >
> > Does anyone have that post saved?  Sure would appreciate the guidance.
tia

> Try here
> http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~bfrazer1/gk/

ah yep, that's the link i used.  it worked flawlessly.  i definitely
recommend modifying the .conf file to automatically start GK1:

fullscreen = true
cycles=6440

and add in the [autoexec] section (at the end of the file):

mount c c:\
c:
cd gkcd
sierra

You can even change the Dosbox shortcut to use the .ico GK1 icon file which
is available in the root directory of the GK1 cd-rom.  :-)

btw, i am in love with GK1... best adventure game i have played.  playing
GK1 made me realize a lot of what I do not like about other adventure games.

Now i just gotta find a copy of GK2!

0
audelair

[News] Running Windows Games in Windows Getting Easier
Windows games in Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Gamers like to be able to play all their games and get right to | gaming instead of messing with configurations. Even if their | games were available for Linux, switching to Linux seemed like | a bad choice until recently, as only a very small amount of | commercial games have official Linux-support. | | [...] | | Cedega has added many unique features not found in Wine, like | compatibility with most modern copy-protections and a Games Disc | Database in which profiles optimized for each of the games in | the database are available, as well as a GUI f...

POLL Does XP run all your Windows games
POLL: Does XP run all your Windows games? This is a five question Poll for the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games Usenet Newsgroup hierarchy including: .. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action .. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure .. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg .. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports .. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic This is the second Poll i create this month in a series i started last week dealing with the way pc gamers run older pc games, last week it was dedicated to old DOS games and this one is dedicated to old Windows games either 16 bits or 32 bits for Windows 95 Beginning: Friday, July 29 2005 Fini...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines on the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila ...

can a rpogramm which was compiled in Windows XP run in Windows 2000?
I just developed a server side programm. I compiled it using VC++ 6.0 in Windows XP. It run well in Windows XP. But in windows 2000 it got a runtime error. Can I need to compile it in Windows 2000 again? Thanks in advanced. On 7 Mar 2006 18:26:44 -0800, "swl" <wl_sha88@yahoo.com> wrote in comp.lang.c++: > I just developed a server side programm. I compiled it using VC++ 6.0 > in Windows XP. It run well in Windows XP. But in windows 2000 it got a > runtime error. > Can I need to compile it in Windows 2000 again? > Thanks in advanced. Ask in news:comp.os.ms-win...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines in the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila I have the exact same problem and have not found an answer afte...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

games, games, Games!
Let's start another game posting as this is theonly reason I visit this newsgroup and most postings seem technical or about fan sites (though infor on cpcoxygen is always welcome!) Right. Below is a list of games and I want you to put a check (or a yes or no!) by the ones you completed as a kid (or at least, on its original release, because not all Amstrad owners in the eighties were children - I know that!) and a check by the ones you didn't complete as a kid but have now completed via emulation. Why? Because I'm curious, that's all! The selection has been dictated s...

windows xp and windows 98
i recently added a client to our small office LAN that is running XP. the other 3 clients run windows '98. in the setup for xp there was an option for creating a 'setup' disk, i believe, for any other machine on the network. because the other machines were already networked i skipped this option and just added the xp machine to the group. now when i try to browse the groups on the network, windows can't find anything. i can type the address of the machines, i.e. '\\theClient' into the address window and find it. is there a simple fix for this? is the xp machine cre...

windows xp and windows 98
i recently added a client to our small office LAN that is running XP. the other 3 clients run windows '98. in the setup for xp there was an option for creating a 'setup' disk, i believe, for any other machine on the network. because the other machines were already networked i skipped this option and just added the xp machine to the group. now when i try to browse the groups on the network, windows can't find anything. i can type the address of the machines, i.e. '\\theClient' into the address window and find it. is there a simple fix for this? is the xp machine cre...

Printing from Word 2000 on Windows 98 and Windows 2000
I have process that creates a Word document (Word 2000) and prints to the specified printer. When the process runs on Windows 98 (where it was developed), the report prints without errors. When I run the same process on a Windows 2000 machine (same process, same template), I get the error "The margins of section <n> are set outside the printable area of the page.". I have been through the knowledge base, but have been unsuccessful in finding any reference to this set of circumstances. The process is an automated invoicing process. The output that is created on the Windows 98 p...

is tcl programs running on windows 2000 professional and windows xp gives diff results
hi i am using tcl/tk on windows i have a menu bar application in which i have used -underline 0 so practically it should show underline on 1'st character so in windows 2000 professional it does not shows this and the "same code" without any changes shows underline at first character what is the reason for this i am not getting , will there be any more changes in gui when i port the application on linux harishd@kpitcummins.com writes: > i am using tcl/tk on windows > i have a menu bar application in which i have used -underline 0 > so practically it should show underl...

Windows 98 games can't run off CD
Greetings. I am running wine on Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu- same thing) Dapper Drake and I'v successfully installed 2 Windows 98 programs. They run fine until they give me a message saying that they can't find the CD to run off of, and tell me to insert it. This means I can't run the games, because they can only run off the CD. I've tried detecting the CD drive, and it's already detected. Could someone offer some advise. Thanks. link141 <link141@comcast.net> wrote: > Greetings. I am running wine on Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu- same thing) > Dapper Drake and I...

Running a Virtual PC Windows 2000 session on an XP machine
I'm replacing my kids Windows 2000 machine with a Dell running XP Home. I imagine I may run into problems getting some of their older games to work on XP. If I do, I'm thinking of installing Virtual PC 2004 and running those games in a Windows 2000 guest OS. Has anyone tried this scenario and do you have any suggestions worth mentioning? Thanks. XP is MORE likely to be able to run said games than 2000 was. tron9901@msn.com wrote: > I'm replacing my kids Windows 2000 machine with a Dell running XP Home. > I imagine I may run into problems getting some of their older games ...

Web resources about - running windows 98/2000/me games on windows XP - comp.pc.games.adventure

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Trains running again on Mandurah line after incident during peak hour
Perth train services have been delayed on the Mandurah line during peak hour on Monday morning after a train lost power.

Man charged with running down neighbour during dispute in Sydney's west
Tension had been simmering on Noakes Parade for sometime before Michael Kimmorley mowed down by a 4WD and nearly killed.

Australia Day prank: South Perth 'bob-sled team' were chanting 'Cool Runnings'
... the bizarre moment a group of Australia Day pranksters rode a bobsled into her store's drive-thru while excitedly chanting &quot;Cool Runnings.&quot; ...

Candidate running against Clive Palmer plans to let constituents vote on every piece of policy
A candidate who plans to stand against Clive Palmer will give constituents the chance to vote on every policy.

Running on empty: why electric car sales are slow in MENA
Running on empty: why electric car sales are slow in MENA

Price Drop: Get Running
Get Running (Couch to 5K) 1.11.0 Device: iOS iPhone Category: Healthcare & Fitness Price: Free, Version: 1.11.0 ( iTunes ) Description: Want ...

Bloomberg Contemplates Running for President as Independent; Longest of Longshots
Former New York Mayor, billionaire Michael Bloomberg, is fed up with Donald Trump, the republicans in general, Bernie Sanders, and Hillary Clinton's ...

Michael Bloomberg running for president? Report says he's considering - Business Insider Deutschland
Donald Trump could soon have a billionaire rival on his hands in the presidential election — former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Bernie Sanders says Hillary Clinton is running a 'desperate' campaign
When Bernie Sanders entered the presidential race last spring, he was considered a fringe figure - an unapologetic independent whose &quot;political ...