Discussion: Warbirds vs. Fighter Ace vs. Aces High vs. WWII-Online

Prior to the birth of my first child almost a year ago, I was playing a
*lot* of Fighter Ace 3.5, and quite enjoyed it.  Now that the little one is
growing up a bit and I have some actual free time, I was wondering if people
here care to post their impressions and opinions on which multiplayer sim I
should get back into.  I am tempted to go back to the FA community, just
because I really liked it and am somewhat familiar with it, but I am also
open to other games if they seem to be better.  What's the current status of
the multiplayer sim communities out there right now?  (WWII vintage - not
interersted in jet sims).

I also play quite a bit of BF1942, and although the fligh model in the
planes is pretty laughable, I like the fact that you can bail out and then
jump into a tank or whatever suits my fancy at the time.

Thanks,

James
12/22/2003 1:19:34 PM
comp.pc.games.flight-sim 4434 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Warbirds III, especially the WWII Arena (only two sides, axis and
allies), looks good but unfortuneately the number of people actually
flying is small (have yet to see over 75 total). I can only guess that
WBII still has a lot of holdovers? The graphics are great until you
get to certain section (city?) and there they turn a bit psychodelic.
Maybe thats my video card but I doubt it. Getting the program requires
you to download a file sharing program or joining a download service,
neither one was something I feel should be involved in getting a
pay-for-play program but it is what it is..

Aces High I is what I fly many hours per week. The ground graphics are
a bit dated but the planes, flight model, cockpits, and smoothness of
online play are very good. AHII is in online beta testing and will
bring a new type of graphics and gameplay, strategic planniing,
promotions, etc.  - similar to what Fighter Ace has? (AFAIK, could be
wrong). I would guess that AHII will be in full swing by summer 2004,
maybe sooner. Ususlly there are 450+ in AH at any given time.

I tried FA 3.5 and just couldn't get into it. There was something I
missed but to be honest I can't say right now, and will most likely
try it again as I printed out the nice color manual and hung onto
it... Can't comment beyond that.

If you have the bandwidth to download all three thats the way to go.
All offer free trials (actually not sure about FA) and getting in and
trying them is the only way to decide. If you want to try AH, please
look me up in the Main Arena (you have to join the "Knights" country
and I would be glad to spend time with you to make your trial go well.
One thing you should have is a decent headset/mic as voice
communication in the game (its built in) is essential.

Good luck with your search!
Icer
>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:19:34 -0500, "James Calivar" <amheiser_bush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>Prior to the birth of my first child almost a year ago, I was playing a
>*lot* of Fighter Ace 3.5, and quite enjoyed it.  Now that the little one is
>growing up a bit and I have some actual free time, I was wondering if people
>here care to post their impressions and opinions on which multiplayer sim I
>should get back into.  I am tempted to go back to the FA community, just
>because I really liked it and am somewhat familiar with it, but I am also
>open to other games if they seem to be better.  What's the current status of
>the multiplayer sim communities out there right now?  (WWII vintage - not
>interersted in jet sims).
>
>I also play quite a bit of BF1942, and although the fligh model in the
>planes is pretty laughable, I like the fact that you can bail out and then
>jump into a tank or whatever suits my fancy at the time.
>
>Thanks,

Icer
12/22/2003 2:14:52 PM
Operation MACE starts Tomorrow.  Check out www.downloads.com and get FA 3.61
and get the free two weeks starting Dec 23rd.

"Icer" <icer_54_doesnt_want_spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
is
> >growing up a bit and I have some actual free time, I was wondering if
people
> >here care to post their impressions and opinions on which multiplayer sim
> >should get back into.  I am tempted to go back to the FA community, just
> >because I really liked it and am somewhat familiar with it, but I am also
> >open to other games if they seem to be better.  What's the current status
of
> >the multiplayer sim communities out there right now?  (WWII vintage - not
> >interersted in jet sims).
> >
> >I also play quite a bit of BF1942, and although the fligh model in the
> >planes is pretty laughable, I like the fact that you can bail out and
then
> >jump into a tank or whatever suits my fancy at the time.

camper
12/22/2003 5:58:19 PM
Sorry, but I've never played AH or Warbirds. I'm a Fighter Ace addict. I
started playing FA version 1.5 in 1997 on a HP Pentium on which I
hotrodded the RAM. I didn't play Version 2 much because my ole HP wasn't
really up to it, but when Version 3 came out, I got a new system and
practiced on CFS 2 until FA Version 3 got out of beta, and I could get
in. It's been a gas. You can usually find me in 'Free for all' Level 10
or in 'Territorital Combat' Level 9 or 10. More people play in the lower
level rooms, but I like the challenge of Level 10.
Fighter Ace is not a flight sim, nor does it make any claim as such. But
it is fun. Best of all, it doesn't require DirectX 9 as yet. And for
older systems, it's the only way to go.

Good luck,
Bumper7

FYI, my system:

Athlon 1.4
Windoz 98SE
GE Force MX 400 64 meg AGP video
DirectX 8.something
256 meg RAM
KDS Avitron 19 inch monitor
Sound Blaster Live
MB ASU A7A DDR-266 M1647
Cable internect connection
M$ Sidewinder FFB Pro Version 2 Joystick

And I probably won't update until Fighter Ace requires DirectX 9.

James Calivar wrote:
> Prior to the birth of my first child almost a year ago, I was playing a
> *lot* of Fighter Ace 3.5, and quite enjoyed it.  Now that the little one is
> growing up a bit and I have some actual free time, I was wondering if people
> here care to post their impressions and opinions on which multiplayer sim I
> should get back into.  I am tempted to go back to the FA community, just
> because I really liked it and am somewhat familiar with it, but I am also
> open to other games if they seem to be better.  What's the current status of
> the multiplayer sim communities out there right now?  (WWII vintage - not
> interersted in jet sims).
>
> I also play quite a bit of BF1942, and although the fligh model in the
> planes is pretty laughable, I like the fact that you can bail out and then
> jump into a tank or whatever suits my fancy at the time.
>
> Thanks,

Bumper7