Win XP SP2: How do you get rid of that ANNOYING "Security Center?"

I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little "Security
Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk you're
taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all the
time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems.
How the heck to I disable this thing?

0
James
9/23/2004 2:38:50 AM
comp.pc.games.flight-sim 4434 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

You can access the Security Center via Start --> Control Panel
You may enjoy the following:
http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/videotips/14/
or
Google: XP Security Center

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little "Security Center" that sits in your taskbar
> that periodically tells you what a risk you're taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur
> all the time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems. How the heck to I disable this
> thing?

0
Carl
9/23/2004 5:48:47 AM
James Calivar wrote:
> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little "Security
> Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk you're
> taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all the
> time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems.
> How the heck to I disable this thing?

"Start" - "Run" services.msc - Stop the "Security Center" service and
either set it to manual or disable it.

--
Toosmoky
Ride the Penguin...
wrote:

>James Calivar wrote:
>> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little "Security
>> Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk you're
>> taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all the
>> time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems.
>> How the heck to I disable this thing?
>
>"Start" - "Run" services.msc - Stop the "Security Center" service and
>either set it to manual or disable it.

or you could do what it says needs to be done.
0
bp
9/23/2004 10:58:18 AM
"James Calivar" wrote:

> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little "Security
> Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk you're
> taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all the
> time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems.
> How the heck to I disable this thing?

/rant on

One of the reasons why I haven't installed SP 2 yet. If M$ had thought
about security in the first place there'd be no need for it.

/rant off

Tara
--
http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/yager.htm
0
"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:24:50 +1000, Toosmoky <toosmoky@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>James Calivar wrote:
>>> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little
>>> "Security
>>> Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk
>>> you're
>>> taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all
>>> the
>>> time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems.
>>> How the heck to I disable this thing?
>>
>>"Start" - "Run" services.msc - Stop the "Security Center" service and
>>either set it to manual or disable it.
>
> or you could do what it says needs to be done.

Yeah...I should install a fucking software firewall to override my
hardware-based one, in which I can explicitly manage my own ports.  Or maybe I
should let MS tell me I'm not up to date with virus protection because it's too
fucking stupid to find NAV.  Oh wait, here's the kicker - I should let MS decide
what security issues are most important for me personally (along with the myriad
*crap* they force down your throat with "auto update" enabled) and just let
Windows decide what to download, when, and where to install it!

Good advice as usual, bp.  Thanks a lot.

James

0
James
9/24/2004 1:44:53 AM
From Help & Support:

To turn off Security Center alerts:

  1.. Open the Security Center. To open the Security Center, click Start,
click Control Panel, and then click Security Center.
  2.. Click Change the way Security Center alerts me.
  3.. Clear the check boxes beside the items for which you don't want to
receive alerts, and then click OK

0
Takegami
9/24/2004 1:52:12 AM
Thanks!

"Takegami" <drobinson66@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> From Help & Support:
>
> To turn off Security Center alerts:
>
>  1.. Open the Security Center. To open the Security Center, click Start, click
> Control Panel, and then click Security Center.
>  2.. Click Change the way Security Center alerts me.
>  3.. Clear the check boxes beside the items for which you don't want to
> receive alerts, and then click OK

0
James
9/24/2004 2:17:04 AM
Takegami wrote:

> To turn off Security Center alerts:
>
>   1.. Open the Security Center. To open the Security Center, click Start,
> click Control Panel, and then click Security Center.
>   2.. Click Change the way Security Center alerts me.
>   3.. Clear the check boxes beside the items for which you don't want to
> receive alerts, and then click OK

I did that but every day they'd reset and start bugging me again.

Much better to turn off the service and manage
firewall/antivirus/updates yourself.

--
Toosmoky
Ride the Penguin...
"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass little
"Security
> Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically tells you what a risk
you're
> taking by not enabling automatic updates.  These little pop ups occur all
the
> time, usually in the middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of
problems.
> How the heck to I disable this thing?

Why don't you just write a half assed batch file that disables it :-)

I'll bet most of the people on this NG don't get that one :-)

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

0
Greg
9/24/2004 5:03:10 AM
bp was giving advice? what the hell is that all about? I thought he
was obsessed like huffman about Derek Smart :-)

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

> "bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:24:50 +1000, Toosmoky <toosmoky@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >>"Start" - "Run" services.msc - Stop the "Security Center" service and
> >>either set it to manual or disable it.
> >
> > or you could do what it says needs to be done.
>
> Yeah...I should install a fucking software firewall to override my
> hardware-based one, in which I can explicitly manage my own ports.  Or
maybe I
> should let MS tell me I'm not up to date with virus protection because
it's too
> fucking stupid to find NAV.  Oh wait, here's the kicker - I should let MS
decide
> what security issues are most important for me personally (along with the
myriad
> *crap* they force down your throat with "auto update" enabled) and just
let
> Windows decide what to download, when, and where to install it!
>
> Good advice as usual, bp.  Thanks a lot.
>
> James

0
Greg
9/24/2004 5:04:30 AM
"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hJOdnRPBUucTN87cRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> >"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

<*snip*>
>> problems.
>> How the heck to I disable this thing?
>

> Why don't you just write a half assed batch file that disables it :-)
>
> I'll bet most of the people on this NG don't get that one :-)
>
> --
>
> gcisko@hotmail.com

No I don't get it.  I'd rather write a batch file that worked :)
0
Carl
9/24/2004 5:53:54 AM
"Carl Frisk" <carlf13@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>
> <*snip*>
> >> problems.
> >> How the heck to I disable this thing?
> >

> > Why don't you just write a half assed batch file that disables it :-)
> >
> > I'll bet most of the people on this NG don't get that one :-)
> >
> > --
> >
> > gcisko@hotmail.com
> >

> No I don't get it.  I'd rather write a batch file that worked :)

Yes you do get it !!!

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

0
Greg
9/24/2004 11:41:39 PM
"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:S9qdnQdHmL0tLcncRVn-qg@comcast.com...
> "Carl Frisk" <carlf13@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <*snip*>
>> >

>> > Why don't you just write a half assed batch file that disables it :-)
>> >
>> > I'll bet most of the people on this NG don't get that one :-)
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > gcisko@hotmail.com
>> >

>> No I don't get it.  I'd rather write a batch file that worked :)
>
> Yes you do get it !!!
>
> --
>
> gcisko@hotmail.com

REM :)
--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:04:30 -0500, Greg Cisko wrote:

> bp was giving advice? what the hell is that all about? I thought he was
> obsessed like huffman about Derek Smart :-)

Install Linux.  The CD will include fdisk, cfdisk, or maybe even qtparted,
so you can get rid of that annoying ntfs (or whatever they call it now)
partition altogether.
0
Frank
10/3/2004 3:03:32 AM
Frank O. Hodge wrote:

> Install Linux.  The CD will include fdisk, cfdisk, or maybe even qtparted,
> so you can get rid of that annoying ntfs (or whatever they call it now)
> partition altogether.

Yep. Lots of flight sims available for linux...

--
Toosmoky
Ride the Penguin...
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:24:50 +1000, Toosmoky <toosmoky@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>"Start" - "Run" services.msc - Stop the "Security Center" service and
>>>either set it to manual or disable it.
>>
>> or you could do what it says needs to be done.
>
>Yeah...I should install a fucking software firewall to override my
>hardware-based one, in which I can explicitly manage my own ports.  Or maybe I
>should let MS tell me I'm not up to date with virus protection because it's too
>fucking stupid to find NAV.  Oh wait, here's the kicker - I should let MS decide
>what security issues are most important for me personally (along with the myriad
>*crap* they force down your throat with "auto update" enabled) and just let
>Windows decide what to download, when, and where to install it!
>
>Good advice as usual, bp.  Thanks a lot.
Relax !

If you know how to do all that other stuff I would think you would be
able to disable the thing. So I thought you might be a noob that
didn't know better. I see them all the time running on cable with no
protection and for them the security center is a good thing since it
makes them realize they need those items on their system.

Guess I was wrong on both counts. Sorry to upset you .

Later

>James

0
bp
10/4/2004 1:36:37 PM
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:04:30 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>bp was giving advice? what the hell is that all about? I thought he
>was obsessed like huffman about Derek Smart :-)

Funny ! I thought you were gay ;-)
0
bp
10/4/2004 1:37:35 PM
Youre still batting .1000 then BP as youre wrong on everything else so why
not include SP2 into your profile.

Mitch

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:44:53 GMT, "James Calivar"
> <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> Guess I was wrong on both counts. Sorry to upset you .
>
> Later
>

>>James

0
Mitch_A
10/4/2004 4:04:13 PM
Tara wrote:
> "James Calivar" wrote:
>
>> I've recently installed WinXP SP2, and it has some annoying-ass
>> little "Security Center" that sits in your taskbar that periodically
>> tells you what a risk you're taking by not enabling automatic
>> updates.  These little pop ups occur all the time, usually in the
>> middle of a game of IL2, causing all sorts of problems. How the heck
>> to I disable this thing?
>
> /rant on
>
> One of the reasons why I haven't installed SP 2 yet. If M$ had thought
> about security in the first place there'd be no need for it.
>
> /rant off
>
> Tara

Completely customizeable to your own tastes. You can have it notify you as
much or as little, or none, as you want.  I personally like the extra
security features, especially the pop up blocker.

Don Burnette

0
Don