PC games vs Console games

	Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
new great PC title never comes out.
0
Senica
2/10/2008 11:31:59 PM
comp.pc.games.strategic 5056 articles. 0 followers. jdoe (250) is leader. Post Follow

Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:

>      Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
> new great PC title never comes out.

Me too.
0
John
2/11/2008 12:56:04 AM
Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>        Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
> new great PC title never comes out.

Consoles have the disadvantage of their very limited controller. It's
hard to beat the speed, versatility and precision of a mouse. Then
again, the wiimmote looks like it could be used somewhat similarly to
a mouse, which opens a lot of possibilities for console strategy games.

mcv.
--
Science is not the be-all and end-all of human existence. It's a tool.
A very powerful tool, but not the only tool. And if only that which
mcv wrote:
> Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>        Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
>> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
>> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
>> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
>> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
>> new great PC title never comes out.
>
> Consoles have the disadvantage of their very limited controller. It's
> hard to beat the speed, versatility and precision of a mouse. Then
> again, the wiimmote looks like it could be used somewhat similarly to
> a mouse, which opens a lot of possibilities for console strategy games.
>

> mcv.
If the Wii starts coming out with any decent strategy games it could end
up the clear winner in the console game wars due to it's controller, and
and price advantage.
0
Senica
2/12/2008 12:31:00 AM
On Feb 10, 5:31 pm, Senica <Byll...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
> new great PC title never comes out.

Herzog Zwei on Mega Drive / Genesis is fun.   Although HZ is simple,
it's got it's own unique depth to it.
0
AirRaid
2/14/2008 4:34:39 PM
Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has.

Which is why it makes sense to have both a console AND a PC, no?

> If console
> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
> new great PC title never comes out.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
*gasp*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You're slamming consoles for "cranking out more of the same"?  Did you
fail to notice the dozens of Sims add-ons?  Or, how about the multitude of
FPS games?

And Civ4 isn't just "more of the same"?

Face it, 'more of the same' may not be great in terms of diversity, but
it's a great way to keep making money which is the point of ANY game on
ANY platform...

--
It's not broken.  It's...advanced.
0
Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If the Wii starts coming out with any decent strategy games it could end
> up the clear winner in the console game wars due to it's controller, and
> and price advantage.

Uh...

1: The Wii is already clearly ahead in the console race this generation
due to its price and controller.  The most popular games, however, are
those found on the Wii Sports disc included with the console.  The bowling
game, for instance, is a big hit at senior centers...

2: Traditionally, console based strategy games are few and far between.
True, a controller doesn't lend itself to a traditional PC-based RTS.
However, turn based games would be do-able, if you can manage to keep the
interface clean and simple enough (multiple levels of nested menus won't
cut it.)  I also think that, traditionally, strategy games stuck to the PC
both in Japan and in the US.  Console games are usually more along the
lines of sports, action and arcade style games.

--
It's not broken.  It's...advanced.
0
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 01:03:36 -0000, Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>> If the Wii starts coming out with any decent strategy games it could end
>> up the clear winner in the console game wars due to it's controller, and
>> and price advantage.
>
>2: Traditionally, console based strategy games are few and far between.
>True, a controller doesn't lend itself to a traditional PC-based RTS.
>However, turn based games would be do-able, if you can manage to keep the
>interface clean and simple enough (multiple levels of nested menus won't
>cut it.)  I also think that, traditionally, strategy games stuck to the PC
>both in Japan and in the US.  Console games are usually more along the
>lines of sports, action and arcade style games.

Fire Emblem is basically a strategy game. Maybe a strategy RPG? What do
you call turn-based games where you only get a handful of units which can
improve with experience? There isn't any building or anything...

Fun game, but really doesn't use the Wii controller as well as it could
have.

--
chuk
0
mcv wrote:

> Consoles have the disadvantage of their very limited controller. It's
> hard to beat the speed, versatility and precision of a mouse. Then
> again, the wiimmote looks like it could be used somewhat similarly to
> a mouse, which opens a lot of possibilities for console strategy games.
>

> mcv.

I remember playing some decent strat games on 8bit Nintendo and Sega
Genesis and they used just a gamepad. I bought an Xbox360 and the game
selection is crap for people like me because it is all action and sports
games mostly.At least they could release some of the old KOEI strat
games on Xbox Arcade as those worked fine with just a gamepad. I spent
hours playing Genghis Khan on the 8bit Nintendo and is one of my fave
strat games of all time.
0
Backspace
2/25/2008 8:49:48 AM
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:31:59 -0800, Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote:

>	Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
>to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
>game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
>game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
>content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
>new great PC title never comes out.

If you're into turn-based strategy, check out the Nintendo DS:
Advance Wars, Panzer Tactics, a TBS version of Age of Empires, Battles
of Prince of Persia, etc.
0
Tim
2/25/2008 11:33:36 PM
Chuk Goodin <cgoodin@sfu.ca> wrote:
> Fire Emblem is basically a strategy game. Maybe a strategy RPG? What do
> you call turn-based games where you only get a handful of units which can
> improve with experience? There isn't any building or anything...

Fire Emblem is considered a strategy RPG.

I can't really think of anything that comes close to being Civ-like for
the console.  I think there was a toned down version of Civ made for the
SNES, and there's another one in the works for the Wii I believe...

The handheld Nintendo DS has the Advance Wars series, which is a more
tactical strategy game.  It's still turn-based.

--
It's not broken.  It's...advanced.
0
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:35:30 -0000, Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>Fire Emblem is considered a strategy RPG.
>
>I can't really think of anything that comes close to being Civ-like for
>the console.  I think there was a toned down version of Civ made for the
>SNES, and there's another one in the works for the Wii I believe...

The new Civ is supposed to show up on the DS, too, apparently. Could be a
good platform for strategy games -- wi-fi lets you play with your friends,
touch screen's about as good as a mouse (better than most consoles).

--
chuk
0
On Feb 10, 6:31 pm, Senica <Byll...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself
> to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy
> game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console
> game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be
> content with the existing PC games I already have even if another
> new great PC title never comes out.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/941684.asp?q=civilization

How about Civilization: Revolution, which is an exclusive console
version of Civilization?

In other news: Myself, I need to see if Sins of a Solar Empire works
on my laptop before I consider getting it.

A console IS a computer.  As time has gone on, more and more genres
have made the jump.

- Rich
0
richardhutnik
3/6/2008 4:09:44 AM
richardhutnik@gmail.com wrote:
> How about Civilization: Revolution, which is an exclusive console
> version of Civilization?

Based on a short preview I  read, this is basically "Civ Light".  It might
still be a good game, but don't go in expecting the depth of the PC
version.
> A console IS a computer.  As time has gone on, more and more genres
> have made the jump.

Very true, but consoles have yet to show how they can manage to deal with
RTS and TBS games which usually have rather complex interfaces.

Besides Civ, I see there's going to be a version of Command & Conquer and
Supreme Commander released onto the 360 (and PS3?)  We'll see how they're
adapted for the console.

--
It's not broken.  It's...advanced.
0
On Mar 6, 6:26 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
> richardhut...@gmail.com wrote:
> > How about Civilization: Revolution, which is an exclusive console
> > version of Civilization?
>
> Based on a short preview I  read, this is basically "Civ Light".  It might
> still be a good game, but don't go in expecting the depth of the PC
> version.
>
> > A console IS a computer.  As time has gone on, more and more genres
> > have made the jump.
>
> Very true, but consoles have yet to show how they can manage to deal with
> RTS and TBS games which usually have rather complex interfaces.
>
> Besides Civ, I see there's going to be a version of Command & Conquer and
> Supreme Commander released onto the 360 (and PS3?)  We'll see how they're
> adapted for the console.

Supreme Commander is a Microsoft title I believe, so I doubt it would
end up on the PS3.  The 360 now has a keypad that is added to the
controller, so that should help with some RTS and turn based titles
actually.

What has been happening, since the advent of the Playstation, is that
more and more genres are making the jump to the consoles, working, and
staying there.  If you go to an EB/Gamestop, look at what is on the
shelves.

- Rich
0
richardhutnik
3/7/2008 2:56:53 PM
On Feb 15, 8:03 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
> Senica <Byll...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If the Wii starts coming out with any decent strategy games it could end
> > up the clear winner in the console game wars due to it's controller, and
> > and price advantage.
>
> Uh...
>
> 1: The Wii is already clearly ahead in the console race this generation
> due to its price and controller.  The most popular games, however, are
> those found on the Wii Sports disc included with the console.  The bowling
> game, for instance, is a big hit at senior centers...
I wouldn't call Wii a console in 'this generation'. Chronologically,
yes it came in the same generation as the PS3 and Xbox 360, but
technologically, it's not much more than a gamecube with a neat
controller.
On the same page, I don't know why people keep adding to the 'current
generation game console lists' the portable such as the DS and the
PSP.  They just don't belong there.
But in any case, I don't think there will be many strategic games in
the Wii, the audience is just not the same. Strategic games are not
normally 'for the masses', and the Wii's success is because its
simplicity makes it so grandma can play it.  I don't really see
grandmas playing Supreme Commander or Starcraft 2 (some might, the 40
year old grandmas :) )

0
Wolfing
3/8/2008 8:16:30 PM
<richardhutnik@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 6, 6:26 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>> richardhut...@gmail.com wrote:
>> > How about Civilization: Revolution, which is an exclusive console
>> > version of Civilization?
>>
>> Based on a short preview I  read, this is basically "Civ Light".
>> It might
>> still be a good game, but don't go in expecting the depth of the PC
>> version.
>>
>> > A console IS a computer.  As time has gone on, more and more
>> > genres
>> > have made the jump.
>>
>> Very true, but consoles have yet to show how they can manage to
>> deal with
>> RTS and TBS games which usually have rather complex interfaces.
>>
>> Besides Civ, I see there's going to be a version of Command &
>> Conquer and
>> Supreme Commander released onto the 360 (and PS3?)  We'll see how
>> they're
>> adapted for the console.
>
> Supreme Commander is a Microsoft title I believe, so I doubt it
> would
> end up on the PS3.  The 360 now has a keypad that is added to the

Shit! I thought SC2020 was a PC game and I was waiting for it.
Or maybe I'm looking for Supreme Ruler 2020?

0
Ace
3/9/2008 12:36:57 AM
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 06:56:53 -0800 (PST), richardhutnik@gmail.com
wrote:

>Supreme Commander is a Microsoft title I believe, so I doubt it would
>end up on the PS3.  The 360 now has a keypad that is added to the
>controller, so that should help with some RTS and turn based titles
>actually.

The availability of certain type of games (like Civ-type strategy) on
consoles is not so much about controllers but about the fact that
living room is where most people keep their consoles, and living room
is not normally an ideal place for playing deeper games that need
concentration (unless you are a single living alone).

Consoles and console gaming environments are best suited for haphazard
action games with flashy graphics from the 50" HDTV screen and party
games with several people, while PC gaming environment is usually best
suited for single- or online games which need more concentration and
where gaming sessions may last longer.

0
riku
3/11/2008 2:30:32 PM
riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
> Consoles and console gaming environments are best suited for haphazard
> action games with flashy graphics from the 50" HDTV screen and party
> games with several people, while PC gaming environment is usually best
> suited for single- or online games which need more concentration and
> where gaming sessions may last longer.

We'll have to wait and see.  The Civ offshoot for consoles seems to be
chugging away towards release for later this year.

I certainly think "beer & pretzel" type strategy games could do well on a
console, but large and epic scale games like Civ4 or any sort of PBEM type
game probably won't do as well just due to the complexity and length of a
single game.

Personally, I'd love to see something like 'Spaceward Ho!' for a console.
It's a pretty simple game overall, has a pretty simple interface, and
games should move along at a good enough clip to allow online multiplayer.

--
It's not broken.  It's...advanced.
0

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

games, games, Games!
Let's start another game posting as this is theonly reason I visit this newsgroup and most postings seem technical or about fan sites (though infor on cpcoxygen is always welcome!) Right. Below is a list of games and I want you to put a check (or a yes or no!) by the ones you completed as a kid (or at least, on its original release, because not all Amstrad owners in the eighties were children - I know that!) and a check by the ones you didn't complete as a kid but have now completed via emulation. Why? Because I'm curious, that's all! The selection has been dictated s...

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...
It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with better graphics on the PC and with better control. The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I suppose with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to maintain momentum).. The PS3 has failed, plain and simple. Defeat conceded...

Console gaming is becoming more like PC gaming
I just read this interesting blog post about how console gaming is getting to be just like PC gaming when it comes to having to patch games, and update the consoles firmware. And I didn't know that at lest with the game he is writing about, that you now have to install the games onto the consoles HD. Sounds to me like it's no longer true that console gaming is "no hassle,kick back" gaming! http://tinyurl.com/5gjndh JLC In article <gem5eh$auq$1@registered.motzarella.org>, JLC <jlc@invalid.invalid> wrote: >I just read this interesting blog post about how c...

Console gaming is becoming more like PC gaming
I just read this interesting blog post about how console gaming is getting to be just like PC gaming when it comes to having to patch games, and update the consoles firmware. And I didn't know that at lest with the game he is writing about, that you now have to install the games onto the consoles HD. Sounds to me like it's no longer true that console gaming is "no hassle,kick back" gaming! http://tinyurl.com/5gjndh JLC On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:24:21 -0800, JLC <jlc@invalid.invalid> wrote: >I just read this interesting blog post about how console gaming is >g...

Good PC Game Developer and/or PC Game Programmer Newsletters?
I have been searching for a few good PC Game Developer and PC Game Programmer newsletters for some time now. I started by looking at what yahoo groups had to offer, but it was really difficult for me to really tell which ones were active. I tried out one programming newsletter few for a couple months (sorry I can't remember which one it was now), but I unsubscribed from it due to the fact that 95% of the time was spent arguing about differences between languages. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a few good mailing lists that they might like to share? Josh, May be www....

java jamba handy games download jamba handyspiele jamba handy games torrent jamba handy spiele download jamba handy games auf pc jamba handy games de jamba handy games downloads kostenlose jam
java jamba handy games download jamba handyspiele jamba handy games torrent jamba handy spiele download jamba handy games auf pc jamba handy games de jamba handy games downloads kostenlose jamba handyspiele downloaden jamba handyspiele ohne abo java jamba spiele auf handy jamba handyspiele gratis download jamba handyspiele kostenlos download + + + + + + JAMBA HANDY SPIELE + + + JAMBA HANDY SPIELE + + + http://WWW.HANDY-SPIELE-JAMBA.DE/ http://WWW.HANDY-SPIELE-JAMBA.DE/ http://WWW.HANDY-SPIELE-JAMBA.DE/ + + + + + JAMBA HANDY LOGO + + + JAMBA HANDY LOGO + + + http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-LOGO.DE/...

Mickmils PIRATED a PC Game, FINISHED that PC Game, Didn't PAY for it and he is PROUD of it!
Mickmils finished a PC Games: On 25 Mar 2007, Mickmils wrote: > Finished STALKER. Then later he admits he hasn't payed for the game he played and finished On 6 Apr 2007, Mickmils wrote: >> Have you yourself bought STALKER? > > No. And I'm very glad I haven't considering how disappointing > this was. I would have bought it afterwards if it actually > delivered some enjoyment. I find it unbelievable someone telling he didn't enjoyed the game when he actually finished it I guess the guy is MASOCHISTIC, which is obviously not true, he is LYING cause he re...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

Computer Gaming vs Console Gaming
In my experience even a Commodore 64 could provide a better gaming experience than a console can today! On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:10:21 -0800, Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote: > In my experience even a Commodore 64 could provide a better gaming >experience than a console can today! Nope. C64 has load times, while consoles can minimize it with their now-present hard drives. While you could work around them with Fast loaders or icepick, you still have at least some delay (plus those addons aren't part of the base system, unlike the hard drive in modern consoles...

PC games using a game controller
I've used Xpadder to map all the keybd functions in Gothic 1 to a Logitech wireless PS2 game controller. The mapping went OK once I stopped reading the developers BEYOND STUPID manual, and just winged it on my own. I have all the functions in Gothic 1 mapped to a much easier configuration on the controller, and it all works ... with one slight exception. I mapped the R-stick to the "normal" mouse so that I have complete camera control ..... sort of. I can't believe how clumbsy the stick camera control is. There is nothing natural about it. I can look in any direction, but th...

Game Online and PC Game for Download
Do you wanna Play a Game? Arcade game, poker game, War game? http://www.game-ocha.blogspot.com ...

Web resources about - PC games vs Console games - comp.pc.games.strategic

Console - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla planning to allow app mirroring from Android to center consoles
Since Tesla launched the Model S in 2012, the automaker has been talking about releasing a software development kit (SDK) to create a full third-party ...

Tesla is moving away from an SDK and instead planning to allow app mirroring from iPhones to center consoles ...
... releasing a software development kit (SDK) to create a full third-party app ecosystem for its 17-inch touchscreen, which acts as a center console ...

What Nintendo’s new interest in VR means for its next console
Artist's conception of Nintendo's new VR-focused NX console (not really). Two decades after the flop of the Virtual Boy and after years of saying ...

Nintendo expected to launch a new handheld game console this year
... launch a new portable gaming device in 2016, according to a statement from IHS senior principal analyst Hiroshi Hayase on Thursday. This console ...

Here is Why Xbox One is Falling Short of PS4 in Console Wars
Bidness Etc attempts to look at some of the reasons why the Xbox One has been second-best in the console wars; can the Xbox One catch up to its ...

Create promo codes for your apps and in-app products in the Google Play Developer Console
Posted by Yoshi Tamura, Product Manager, Google Play Over the past six months, a number of new tools in the Google Play Developer Console have ...

New Batman Arkham Knight DLC out now on PC, coming to consoles next week
The Crime Fighter Challenge Pack #6 includes new Predator and Combat maps from past games.

First-Graders Write Letters To Console Vikings Kicker Blair Walsh: "You Are Handsome"
This week, Minnesota elementary school teacher Judie Offerdahl took the opportunity to turn Blair Walsh’s shank into a lesson about empathy ...

Japan is getting some amazing SFV limited edition PS4 consoles
The Japanese PlayStation blog has revealed four (!) different Limited Edition Street Fighter V consoles, each bearing a different design. These ...