pc-to-pc games available

I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
"Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.

I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
it.

0
Rodney
11/2/2007 3:54:03 PM
comp.pc.games.strategic 5056 articles. 0 followers. jdoe (250) is leader. Post Follow

On Nov 2, 8:54 am, Rodney Engdahl <takarov2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
> computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
> "Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
> purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.
>
> I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
> now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
> it.

Just about any game released in the last decade supports TCP/IP LAN
play. For that type of game, sounds like Civilization 4 would be up
your alley.

0
yaugin
11/2/2007 5:40:38 PM
In article <1194018843.968304.300070@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, takarov2003
@yahoo.com says...
> I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
> computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
> "Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
> purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.
>
> I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
> now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
> it.

Heroes of Might and Magic II or III
Warlords (Reign of Heroes or Darklords Rising)
Civilization III and IV (can't remember if CivII allows tcp/ip, I seem to think
	it has problems of some nature with network play)
Dominions 2, 3
Space Empires 2...5

-P.

Peter
11/2/2007 11:39:30 PM
"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> In article <1194018843.968304.300070@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> takarov2003
> @yahoo.com says...
>> I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
>> computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
>> "Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
>> purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.
>>
>> I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
>> now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
>> it.
>
> Heroes of Might and Magic II or III
> Warlords (Reign of Heroes or Darklords Rising)
> Civilization III and IV (can't remember if CivII allows tcp/ip, I seem to
> think
> it has problems of some nature with network play)
> Dominions 2, 3
> Space Empires 2...5
>
> -P.

If memory serves - Silent Hunter II and Destroyer commander were designed to
allow one player to take the role of the sub commander and the other player
to be the destroyer captain seeking the sub.

I also recall the Baldur's Gate games I and II allowed for multi-player,
which I assume by the age of the games, would mean computer-to-computer
connections.

Dungeon siege, Battlefield 1942 and the Mechwarrior series were also popular
with LAN play.

Hope that helps.

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

0
MJB
11/3/2007 12:20:09 AM
On Nov 2, 4:20 pm, "MJB" <mrt...@OLDsguy.com> wrote:
> "Peter Huebner" <no....@this.address> wrote in message

> > In article <1194018843.968304.300...@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> > takarov2003
> > @yahoo.com says...
> >> I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
> >> computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
> >> "Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
> >> purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.
>
> >> I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
> >> now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
> >> it.
>
> > Heroes of Might and Magic II or III
> > Warlords (Reign of Heroes or Darklords Rising)
> > Civilization III and IV (can't remember if CivII allows tcp/ip, I seem to
> > think
> > it has problems of some nature with network play)
> > Dominions 2, 3
> > Space Empires 2...5
>
> > -P.
>
> If memory serves - Silent Hunter II and Destroyer commander were designed to
> allow one player to take the role of the sub commander and the other player
> to be the destroyer captain seeking the sub.
>
> I also recall the Baldur's Gate games I and II allowed for multi-player,
> which I assume by the age of the games, would mean computer-to-computer
> connections.
>
> Dungeon siege, Battlefield 1942 and the Mechwarrior series were also popular
> with LAN play.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> MJB
>
> Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/- Hide quoted text -

Thank you all for your responses!  Of the abovementioned games, are
there any that were particularly good in their intra-pc connectivity?
I picked upt an old game (Perimiter) at Fry's for 9 bucks, and found
that the pc-to-pc part just hangs on my computer (and the others in
the house too).   may be just the age of the software (2004?), but
anyone have experience with a LAN game that can chime in on
usiability?

Thanks again!!

Rod.

0
Rodney
11/4/2007 4:09:17 PM
In article <1194192557.417786.214250@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, takarov2003
@yahoo.com says...
> Thank you all for your responses!  Of the abovementioned games, are
> there any that were particularly good in their intra-pc connectivity?

Yes, Rodney, the ones I mentiones I selected particulary BECAUSE we've played
them on the LAN and I know that they work, and they never gave trouble.
If you are running Windows XP you may have to load Microsoft's old networking
protocol which is on the CD but does not get installed by default by Windows
XP. But as far as I remember all the games I named have tcp/ip functionality.

I did not mention Imperialism for instance, which is a fantastic game but
always gave trouble sooner or later with network play ...

-P.

Peter
11/4/2007 10:22:19 PM
On Nov 4, 2:22 pm, Peter Huebner <no....@this.address> wrote:
> In article <1194192557.417786.214...@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, takarov2003
> @yahoo.com says...
>
> > Thank you all for your responses!  Of the abovementioned games, are
> > there any that were particularly good in their intra-pc connectivity?
>
> Yes, Rodney, the ones I mentiones I selected particulary BECAUSE we've played
> them on the LAN and I know that they work, and they never gave trouble.
> If you are running Windows XP you may have to load Microsoft's old networking
> protocol which is on the CD but does not get installed by default by Windows
> XP. But as far as I remember all the games I named have tcp/ip functionality.
>
> I did not mention Imperialism for instance, which is a fantastic game but
> always gave trouble sooner or later with network play ...
>
> -P.
>
> --
> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

Once Again Peter, thanks!

Rod

0
Rodney
11/5/2007 12:12:26 PM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:54:03 -0700, Rodney Engdahl
<takarov2003@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple
>computers on my own home network without having to go online.  I liked
>"Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this
>purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs.
>
>I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every
>now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for
>it.

As others have said, there are *many* games that can do this - just
look for TCP/IP LAN play.

Games that I play with my sons on our LAN:
- Age of Kings: Conquerors
- Civilization III
- Space Empires IV Gold
- Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- various HalfLife mods (CounterStrike, Outlaws, Ricochet, etc)

BP

0
BP
11/6/2007 12:31:10 AM
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 04:12:26 -0800, Rodney Engdahl
<takarov2003@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 4, 2:22 pm, Peter Huebner <no....@this.address> wrote:
>> In article <1194192557.417786.214...@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, takarov2003
>> @yahoo.com says...
>>
>> > Thank you all for your responses!  Of the abovementioned games, are
>> > there any that were particularly good in their intra-pc connectivity?
>>
>> Yes, Rodney, the ones I mentiones I selected particulary BECAUSE we've played
>> them on the LAN and I know that they work, and they never gave trouble.
>> If you are running Windows XP you may have to load Microsoft's old networking
>> protocol which is on the CD but does not get installed by default by Windows
>> XP. But as far as I remember all the games I named have tcp/ip functionality.
>>
>> I did not mention Imperialism for instance, which is a fantastic game but
>> always gave trouble sooner or later with network play ...
>>
>> -P.
>>
>> --
>> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
>
>Once Again Peter, thanks!

can't most of those games can be played hot-seat (taking turns on the
same computer, this is how i played strat conq) or PBEM too? another
option if you can't get lan to work.

0
Art

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...
It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with better graphics on the PC and with better control. The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I suppose with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to maintain momentum).. The PS3 has failed, plain and simple. Defeat conceded...

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

Good PC Game Developer and/or PC Game Programmer Newsletters?
I have been searching for a few good PC Game Developer and PC Game Programmer newsletters for some time now. I started by looking at what yahoo groups had to offer, but it was really difficult for me to really tell which ones were active. I tried out one programming newsletter few for a couple months (sorry I can't remember which one it was now), but I unsubscribed from it due to the fact that 95% of the time was spent arguing about differences between languages. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a few good mailing lists that they might like to share? Josh, May be www....

PC to PC
Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC attached.Originally the set up was for the RPC and 1 PC to be on line and also for the RPC to make use of the PCs printer capabilities.The 2nd PC is my daughters and she would like to make use of the Epson photocolour printer without having to shift everything around.But I can't seem to get the 2 PCs talking to one another.Any ideas please? Dave. In article <42f977b64e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC ...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

Mickmils PIRATED a PC Game, FINISHED that PC Game, Didn't PAY for it and he is PROUD of it!
Mickmils finished a PC Games: On 25 Mar 2007, Mickmils wrote: > Finished STALKER. Then later he admits he hasn't payed for the game he played and finished On 6 Apr 2007, Mickmils wrote: >> Have you yourself bought STALKER? > > No. And I'm very glad I haven't considering how disappointing > this was. I would have bought it afterwards if it actually > delivered some enjoyment. I find it unbelievable someone telling he didn't enjoyed the game when he actually finished it I guess the guy is MASOCHISTIC, which is obviously not true, he is LYING cause he re...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib #2
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

how to access my own PC from remote PC(any PC
I got mywebserver from http://www.mywebserver.org/us/, I dont know how to access 'mywebserver' running on my own PC from remote location (i.e any PC connected to internet)??? I tried in the address bar of web browser folloing things... 1)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D. is IP address shown on control panel of 'mywebserver'. This IP address remains same on getting connected to internet.(i.e. It doesnt change whenever my PC connects to internet) 2)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D is IP address of my PC(got from 'ipconfig' command) Can anybody tell me? how to access ...

Web resources about - pc-to-pc games available - comp.pc.games.strategic

This Time, the Conservative Crackup Is Real
I've been hearing about the impending “conservative crackup” for nearly 25 years. The term was coined by R. Emmett Tyrrell Jr., the founder of ...

Safari is crashing for a lot of people due to this odd bug
Apple's Safari browser was crashing for a lot of users early Wednesday, both on iOS and OS X, seemingly due to a bug related to Safari's search ...

Pope Francis and Hassan Rouhani of Iran Discuss Mideast Unrest
New York Times Pope Francis and Hassan Rouhani of Iran Discuss Mideast Unrest New York Times VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis met with President ...

Arrests in Oregon Standoff
The FBI has arrested the leaders of an armed group that has occupied a national wildlife refuge in Oregon for more than three weeks

World health agency expects Zika virus, linked to birth defects, to reach US
Los Angeles Times World health agency expects Zika virus, linked to birth defects, to reach US Los Angeles Times Mylene Helena Ferreira holds ...

Lena Headey Channels Cersei Lannister To Read ‘Bachelor’ Insults On Jimmy Kimmel
Who would have thought that Lena Headey would fit right in with the women of The Bachelor ? Lena guested on Jimmy Kimmel Live! to promote her ...

Uber to pay 1.2 million euros to French taxi group
App-based taxi firm Uber has been ordered to pay 1.2 million euros ($1.3 million) to a French taxi group by a Paris court, according to documents ...

Abe Vigoda: 13 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘Godfather,’ ‘Barney Miller’ Actor
Before there was Tessio, before there was Fish, Abe Vigoda made his name on the stage. In the 1950s and ‘60s, the actor who died Tuesday at 94 ...

Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Release Telling Snapchat Video At The Gym As Family Lashes Out About Relationship ...
Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian have shared a new SnapChat video of their recent trip to the gym in the wake of their relationship drama. According ...

Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting
CNN Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting New York Times SEATTLE — Two people were killed and three others wounded as ...