Victory Point Games to Publish PC and Electronic versions of Board Games

Pretty exciting announcement by Victory Point Games, who've published
a plethora of wonderful small boardgames since starting out a couple
of years ago.  Alan Emrich announced that they'll be creating
electronic versions of their boardgames as well as publishing original
games in electronic form - both applications and it appears PC as
well.

They've got a whole slew of solitiaire boardgames that will transfer
over very well in addition to the 2 player games.  Looks like we might
be seeing an electronic version of No Retreat in the not too distant
future!

http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=164&page=1

best wishes,

Doug
0
dougb
7/4/2011 1:52:42 PM
comp.pc.games.war-historical 7698 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jul 4, 9:52=A0am, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Pretty exciting announcement by Victory Point Games, who've published
> a plethora of wonderful small boardgames since starting out a couple
> of years ago. =A0Alan Emrich announced that they'll be creating
> electronic versions of their boardgames as well as publishing original
> games in electronic form - both applications and it appears PC as
> well.
>
> They've got a whole slew of solitiaire boardgames that will transfer
> over very well in addition to the 2 player games. =A0Looks like we might
> be seeing an electronic version of No Retreat in the not too distant
> future!
>
> http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=3D164&page=3D1
>
> best wishes,
>
> Doug

VP Games is perfect for this.  A nice catalog of light-medium weight
wargames, and such crappy production values that I'll never buy the
games in physical format.  Hopefully they'll be priced right and I'll
own an iPad by then.
0
Nine
7/4/2011 4:33:53 PM
On Jul 4, 12:33=A0pm, Nine Train <09.tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 9:52=A0am, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:
>

> > Pretty exciting announcement by Victory Point Games, who've published
> > a plethora of wonderful small boardgames since starting out a couple
> > of years ago. =A0Alan Emrich announced that they'll be creating
> > electronic versions of their boardgames as well as publishing original
> > games in electronic form - both applications and it appears PC as
> > well.
>
> > They've got a whole slew of solitiaire boardgames that will transfer
> > over very well in addition to the 2 player games. =A0Looks like we migh=
> > be seeing an electronic version of No Retreat in the not too distant
> > future!
>
> >http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=3D164&page=3D1
>
> > best wishes,
>
> > Doug
>
> VP Games is perfect for this. =A0A nice catalog of light-medium weight
> wargames, and such crappy production values that I'll never buy the
> games in physical format. =A0Hopefully they'll be priced right and I'll
> own an iPad by then.- Hide quoted text -

Actually I've always found their production values quite reasonable -
not as good as GMT or MMP of course but with graphics that are clear,
legibile, and not unattractive.  Their rulebooks are pretty much state
of the art - in fact other than GMT I can't think of another company
that does rule books that are comparable in quality and
comprehensiveness.

They have a sale on today only so I'll probably order a few games
tonight.  I'm thinking of picking up another one of the solo games,
either Go and Tell the Emperor or the States of Siege game where the
player is the Confederates fighting to survive against the North.
They've got a neat little game akin to star trek where you have
missions and need to manage a bridge crew.

Best wishes,

Doug
0
dougb
7/4/2011 6:29:54 PM
On Jul 4, 2:29=A0pm, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 12:33=A0pm, Nine Train <09.tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 4, 9:52=A0am, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > > Pretty exciting announcement by Victory Point Games, who've published
> > > a plethora of wonderful small boardgames since starting out a couple
> > > of years ago. =A0Alan Emrich announced that they'll be creating
> > > electronic versions of their boardgames as well as publishing origina=
> > > games in electronic form - both applications and it appears PC as
> > > well.
>
> > > They've got a whole slew of solitiaire boardgames that will transfer
> > > over very well in addition to the 2 player games. =A0Looks like we mi=
ght
> > > be seeing an electronic version of No Retreat in the not too distant
> > > future!
>
> > >http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=3D164&page=
=3D1

> > > best wishes,
>
> > > Doug
>
> > VP Games is perfect for this. =A0A nice catalog of light-medium weight
> > wargames, and such crappy production values that I'll never buy the
> > games in physical format. =A0Hopefully they'll be priced right and I'll
> > own an iPad by then.- Hide quoted text -

> Actually I've always found their production values quite reasonable -
> not as good as GMT or MMP of course but with graphics that are clear,
> legibile, and not unattractive. =A0Their rulebooks are pretty much state
> of the art - in fact other than GMT I can't think of another company
> that does rule books that are comparable in quality and
> comprehensiveness.
>
> They have a sale on today only so I'll probably order a few games
> tonight. =A0I'm thinking of picking up another one of the solo games,
> either Go and Tell the Emperor or the States of Siege game where the
> player is the Confederates fighting to survive against the North.
> They've got a neat little game akin to star trek where you have
> missions and need to manage a bridge crew.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Doug

I bought and then gave away the game about Isreal, and was not
impressed for the $$ I spent.  Which isn't a knock against the games,
per se.  Just that the chintzy map and cards and teeny tiny dice
haven't won me over.
0
Nine
7/5/2011 3:36:42 AM
On Jul 4, 11:36=A0pm, Nine Train <09.tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2:29=A0pm, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:

> > > VP Games is perfect for this. =A0A nice catalog of light-medium weigh=
> > > wargames, and such crappy production values that I'll never buy the
> > > games in physical format. =A0Hopefully they'll be priced right and I'=
ll
> > > own an iPad by then.- Hide quoted text -

> > Actually I've always found their production values quite reasonable -
> > not as good as GMT or MMP of course but with graphics that are clear,
> > legibile, and not unattractive. =A0Their rulebooks are pretty much stat=
> > of the art - in fact other than GMT I can't think of another company
> > that does rule books that are comparable in quality and
> > comprehensiveness.
>
> > They have a sale on today only so I'll probably order a few games
> > tonight. =A0I'm thinking of picking up another one of the solo games,
> > either Go and Tell the Emperor or the States of Siege game where the
> > player is the Confederates fighting to survive against the North.
> > They've got a neat little game akin to star trek where you have
> > missions and need to manage a bridge crew.
>
> > Best wishes,
>
> > Doug
>
> I bought and then gave away the game about Isreal, and was not
> impressed for the $$ I spent. =A0Which isn't a knock against the games,
> per se. =A0Just that the chintzy map and cards and teeny tiny dice
> haven't won me over.

Well the good news is that they have a deal with GMT to republish
upgraded versions of some of their games - I have No Retreat arriving
soon.

Best wishes,

Doug
0
dougb
7/5/2011 10:28:30 AM
On 5 jul, 12:28, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Well the good news is that they have a deal with GMT to republish
> upgraded versions of some of their games - I have No Retreat arriving
> soon.

No Retreat on the iPad or the pc would be an automatic buy from me -
especially the iPad - it's really a nice platform for playing all
sorts of boardgames, including wargames. Of course, the same
conversion rules apply : a game need to feel native to the platform
you're playing it on and wargames *designed* for tablets would be
preferable, but I take what I can get

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
0
eddysterckx
7/11/2011 9:53:04 AM
On 11 jul, 11:53, "eddyster...@hotmail.com" <eddyster...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Of course, the same
> conversion rules apply : a game need to feel native to the platform
> you're playing it on and wargames *designed* for tablets would be
> preferable, but I take what I can get

This just in : rumour has it Slitherine/Matrix is currently working on
2 wargames specifically designed for the iPad ... things are starting
to move in the right direction :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

0
eddysterckx
7/11/2011 3:32:21 PM
On Jul 11, 11:32=A0am, "eddyster...@hotmail.com"
<eddyster...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 jul, 11:53, "eddyster...@hotmail.com" <eddyster...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Of course, the same
> > conversion rules apply : a game need to feel native to the platform
> > you're playing it on and wargames *designed* for tablets would be
> > preferable, but I take what I can get
>
> This just in : rumour has it Slitherine/Matrix is currently working on
> 2 wargames specifically designed for the iPad ... things are starting
> to move in the right direction :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Love to know what those games are - and yes things are definitely
movng in the right direction.

No Retreat on any platform, paper or electronic, is an automatic buy
for me.  I'm going to be ordering No Retreat 2 shortly as I have a
hankering for some good desert action and I'm keen to see how well the
system plays in that theatre of war.

Of course every now and then I lose my mind and order something like
Proud Monster Deluxe LOL!  However, it'll still be less work than
playing WITE.  In fairness though I see that there have been quite a
few smaller user created scenarios available for that game so I may go
back and play it some more.

Starting a game of A Victory Lost - will someone please create a pc
version of that one?!!   Wonderful system with not alot of rules but
packed with gameplay and suspense.

Best wishes,

Doug

0
dougb
7/12/2011 12:58:06 AM
On 12 jul, 02:58, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:

> No Retreat on any platform, paper or electronic, is an automatic buy
> for me. =A0I'm going to be ordering No Retreat 2 shortly as I have a
> hankering for some good desert action and I'm keen to see how well the
> system plays in that theatre of war.

I'm a bit doubtful there - the desert war is incredibly hard to do and
lately every valiant attempt has fallen a bit short of the mark.
Shifting Sands was the last one I tried.

> Starting a game of A Victory Lost - will someone please create a pc
> version of that one?!! =A0 Wonderful system with not alot of rules but
> packed with gameplay and suspense.

Got that game too - a lot of gaming in a small package.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
0
eddysterckx
7/12/2011 6:45:41 AM
On 12 jul, 02:58, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:

> No Retreat on any platform, paper or electronic, is an automatic buy
> for me.

I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for it to happen - I posed the
question directly to Alan Emrich and he was quiet open about it :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/670996/bgg-wargame-designer-of-the-month-alan-emrich/page/3

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
0
eddysterckx
7/13/2011 1:14:14 PM
On Jul 13, 2:14=A0pm, "eddyster...@hotmail.com"
<eddyster...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 jul, 02:58, dougb <douglasbrun...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > No Retreat on any platform, paper or electronic, is an automatic buy
> > for me.
>
> I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for it to happen - I posed the
> question directly to Alan Emrich and he was quiet open about it :
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/670996/bgg-wargame-designer-of-th...
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Yes and I'm not that surprised.  they've only recently announced the
hiring of a lead programmer and I always anticipate long waits when
software versions are announced.  Carl did chime in to suggest
utilizing the solitaire module for No Retreat as a way to getting a
game out sooner so perhaps in the end they might not opt for full AI
implementation.

best wishes,

Doug
0