Sound cable versus data cable

When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for
souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that
connects the two outputs from the cdrom drives?  I need to k ow how to
do this/

How does one check to see if the sound channel is operative for both
drives other than trying to play them?
comp.pc.hardware.cd-rom 421 articles. 0 followers. harri85274 (3) is leader. Post Follow

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:47:06 GMT, J. P. Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for
>souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that
>connects the two outputs from the cdrom drives?  I need to k ow how to
>do this/

Don't use any cable. They will play through the IDE cable on the PCI
bus. Go to device manager, select your cdrom drive, right click and
select properties, go to properties tab, check the box that says
"Enable Digital CD Audio for this device". Do the same with the other
cdrom drive. Only use cables if you prefer analog playback and then
you would make sure that box is unchecked.

>How does one check to see if the sound channel is operative for both
>drives other than trying to play them?

Just stick an audio cd in and play the cd, I know of no other way.
0
Trinity
2/25/2005 2:57:12 AM

Despite the info received here I  find that under W98 the flat data
cable will not carry the sound signal to the motheboard sound module.

What kind of configuring has to be done to do this?  I think that this
is something that can be done wirh windows XP but not Win98.  Please
advise me.

I think that I wil need a Y cable to connect two CDROM drives to the
souns module.  Please comment.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:28:22 GMT, J. P. Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Despite the info received here I  find that under W98 the flat data
>cable will not carry the sound signal to the motheboard sound module.
>
>What kind of configuring has to be done to do this?  I think that this
>is something that can be done wirh windows XP but not Win98.  Please
>advise me.
>
>I think that I wil need a Y cable to connect two CDROM drives to the
>souns module.  Please comment.

Hmm, maybe you need Win98SE. Do you have SE? I use XP so can't say for
sure. I will look at my WinME box later and report back if it will
play sound digitally or not.
0
Connected
3/14/2005 6:09:14 AM
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:09:14 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:28:22 GMT, J. P. Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Despite the info received here I  find that under W98 the flat data
>>cable will not carry the sound signal to the motheboard sound module.
>>
>>What kind of configuring has to be done to do this?  I think that this
>>is something that can be done wirh windows XP but not Win98.  Please
>>advise me.
>>
>>I think that I wil need a Y cable to connect two CDROM drives to the
>>souns module.  Please comment.
>
>Hmm, maybe you need Win98SE. Do you have SE? I use XP so can't say for
>sure. I will look at my WinME box later and report back if it will
>play sound digitally or not.

I just checked my WinME box and it is playing digitally through the
IDE cable. ME is basically Win98SE. Maybe you need to install the
latest version of Windows Media Player for the option to show up.
Again, are you using Win98 Second Edition or just the first edition?
0
Connected
3/14/2005 7:21:11 PM

I am using W98SE and have been for 4 years.

I do not have the latest version of Media Player, however.

E think this ia an XP fundtion.

So one cdrom drive will remain without  any sound since I have only
one cable connection.

The Y cable is too expensive to bring home, high minimum order fees,
ect.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:21:11 -0800, Connected

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:54:41 GMT, J  P  Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I am using W98SE and have been for 4 years.
>
> I do not have the latest version of Media Player, however.
>
> E think this ia an XP fundtion.
>
> So one cdrom drive will remain without  any sound since I have only
> one cable connection.
>
> The Y cable is too expensive to bring home, high minimum order fees,
> ect.

In Win98SE open the Multimedia Properties control panel. Under the CD Music
tab, select the drive and check the box for Enable digital CD audio for this
CD-ROM device. A Y cable won't work since it will short out the outputs from
the drives unless there are resistors built into the cable. Most Y cables
are for one output driving two inputs not two outputs driving one input.

0
Mike
3/15/2005 4:49:27 PM
wrote: