"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

 I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
then I am getting:
~
 "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
~
 Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
~
 check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
~
 make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
~
 run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
knoppix)
~
 The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
~
 So what on earth is going on?
~
 How can I solve this problem?
~
 Thanks
 lbrtchx
0
lbrtchx
3/17/2008 4:09:01 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

<lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
<snip>

You do not need to install Windows 98 to do the upgrade to Windows XP.
Just boot from the Windows XP install CD.  When it says that it cannot
find a prior eligible version of Windows from which to upgrade, insert
the install CD for Windows 98 and point there to continue the upgrade
install of Windows XP.

NOTE: lbrtchx attempted to disconnect all discussions by redirecting
any replies via FollowUp-To to just the microsoft.public.win98.setup.
If the other newsgroups are inappropriate for seeing replies then
those newsgroups were also inappropriate for you to post there!  As a
result, I ignored the attempt to use FollowUp-To to disconnect the
discussion from the other newsgroups (my response was already sent to
the followup newsgroup and was not included in this redo of my prior
reply).  Do not cross-post to newsgroups and then use the FollowUp-To
header to disconnect those discussions.  You may have selected one
newsgroups as your favorite home newsgroup but that doesn't mean the
respondents want to visit there.  FollowUp-To is used by spammers and
malcontents.

0
VanguardLH
3/17/2008 6:55:43 PM
Most likely your partition table or boot sector is incorrect.
Delete any partitions, boot the XP CD to partition and format.

<lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
> then I am getting:
> ~
> "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> ~

0
Eric
3/17/2008 8:20:44 PM
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage lbrtchx@gmail.com wrote:
>  I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
> then I am getting:
> ~
>  "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> ~
>  Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
> ~
>  check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
> ~
>  make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
> ~
>  run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
> knoppix)
> ~
>  The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
> defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
> ~
>  So what on earth is going on?
> ~
>  How can I solve this problem?
> ~
>  Thanks
>  lbrtchx

Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

Arno
0
Arno
3/17/2008 8:27:24 PM
Arno Wagner "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage lbrtchx@gmail.com wrote:
>>  I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
>> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
>> then I am getting:
>> ~
>>  "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
>> ~
>>  Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
>> ~
>>  check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
>> ~
>>  make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
>> ~
>>  run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
>> knoppix)
>> ~
>>  The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
>> defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
>> ~
>>  So what on earth is going on?
>> ~
>>  How can I solve this problem?
>> ~
>>  Thanks
>>  lbrtchx
>
> Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
> removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.
>
> Arno

That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

--
Your mother was a canophilic vegetable who campaigned for the harlots'
union on a small island in the middle of nowhere.

0
John