60 Gig hard drive in a AMD K6 2 / 350

I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
manually set the parameters and it does not work.

Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
so, please help.

Thanks,
Jamie
0
jamieledwell
11/2/2004 4:59:02 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

That motherboard bios is way to old for a 60GB.

"Jamie" <jamieledwell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
> can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> manually set the parameters and it does not work.
>
> Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
> so, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

0
Tod
11/2/2004 9:52:58 AM
Check the drive maker's web site, they usually have a special driver you
can use in such cases.  But be sure to put the install program somewhere
safe because if you need to remove the driver, you might need the same
exact program.

I think they're called boot sector drivers, I've had occasion to use a few.
No problems, except when time came to remove it, got to have the same
program used to install it.

Your mainboard maker might have such a program also.

"Jamie" <jamieledwell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
> can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> manually set the parameters and it does not work.
>
> Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
> so, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

0
Dale
11/2/2004 10:39:03 AM
I would recommend to not use those "boot sector drivers", they do work,
but can get really messed up by viruses.
Get an add-on PCI IDE controller, should be some cheap one on www.ebay.com

"Dale Benjamin" <daleb@k-online.com> wrote in message
> Check the drive maker's web site, they usually have a special driver you
> can use in such cases.  But be sure to put the install program somewhere
> safe because if you need to remove the driver, you might need the same
> exact program.
>
> I think they're called boot sector drivers, I've had occasion to use a
> few.
> No problems, except when time came to remove it, got to have the same
> program used to install it.
>
> Your mainboard maker might have such a program also.
>

> "Jamie" <jamieledwell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
>> can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
>> manually set the parameters and it does not work.
>>
>> Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
>> so, please help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jamie

0
Tod
11/2/2004 11:45:15 PM
Jamie wrote:

> I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
> can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> manually set the parameters and it does not work.
>
> Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
> so, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

Hello, Jamie:

You need to upgrade your mainboard's BIOS, if possible. If you do,
follow the "flashing" directions very carefully, or you could render
the board inoperable; in such an event, the BIOS chip, itself, would
require replacement.

It's better to just pop in an IDE controller card, though, if you have
a free PCI slot. In addition to featuring their own BIOSes, these
devices support faster ATA versions and are quite inexpensive, nowadays.

My home-built PIII PC's Tyan S1830S "Tsunami" AT board is somewhat
ancient, so it contains a generic, "Ultra ATA/133" PCI card (which has
a "Silicon Image" chipset and optional RAID functions). I installed it
(non-RAID), along with a pair of Samsung SP1614N (160GB) hard disks,
about six months ago. (OS is Windows Millennium, incidentally.)

Good luck!

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
0
John
11/3/2004 12:06:19 AM
Dale Benjamin wrote:

> Check the drive maker's web site, they usually have a special driver you
> can use in such cases.  But be sure to put the install program somewhere
> safe because if you need to remove the driver, you might need the same
> exact program.
>
> I think they're called boot sector drivers, I've had occasion to use a few.
> No problems, except when time came to remove it, got to have the same
> program used to install it.
>
> Your mainboard maker might have such a program also.

Hello, Dale:

These "BIOS overlay" programs (described, above) should be avoided, if
other alternatives exist (e.g., upgrade of the mainboard's BIOS).
Beyond the things you, yourself, mentioned, they're potentially flaky.

Personally, I think an IDE controller card is the best solution.

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

> "Jamie" <jamieledwell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
> > can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> > manually set the parameters and it does not work.
> >
> > Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
> > so, please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jamie
0
John
11/3/2004 12:06:21 AM
You mean "drive overlays". MBR viruses are a thing of the past, even Win 98/ME
prevented them from installing.

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I would recommend to not use those "boot sector drivers", they do work,
> but can get really messed up by viruses.
> Get an add-on PCI IDE controller, should be some cheap one on www.ebay.com

0
Eric
11/3/2004 12:31:54 AM
Either alternative you propose would do the job, probably better than my
first thought.  I like the add on IDE controller card idea best.

"John Turco" <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message
> Dale Benjamin wrote:
> >
> > Check the drive maker's web site, they usually have a special driver
you
> > can use in such cases.  But be sure to put the install program
somewhere
> > safe because if you need to remove the driver, you might need the same
> > exact program.
> >
> > I think they're called boot sector drivers, I've had occasion to use a
few.
> > No problems, except when time came to remove it, got to have the same
> > program used to install it.
> >
> > Your mainboard maker might have such a program also.
>

> Hello, Dale:
>
> These "BIOS overlay" programs (described, above) should be avoided, if
> other alternatives exist (e.g., upgrade of the mainboard's BIOS).
> Beyond the things you, yourself, mentioned, they're potentially flaky.
>
> Personally, I think an IDE controller card is the best solution.
>

> Cordially,
>            John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
>

> > "Jamie" <jamieledwell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350.
> > > can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> > > manually set the parameters and it does not work.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer?
If
> > > so, please help.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jamie

0
Dale
11/3/2004 10:09:22 AM
Jamie wrote:

>I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
>can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
>manually set the parameters and it does not work.
>
>Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
>so, please help.

It might help if you mentioned the make and model of the
motherboard. I would recommend a BIOS upgrade, if there
is one available for your motherboard that will support a
60GBdrive. I installed a 80GB drive on a K6 233 machine
with an epox ep-mvp3c2 motherboard, all I had to do was
upgrade the BIOS, and it got recognized automatically.

Per D. S�rensen
0
ISO
11/4/2004 4:18:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I found a good deal on a new mother
board and cpu on eBay. So, I decided to go ahead and upgrade it too.
Thanks again for all your tips. I didn't know about PCI IDE
controlers, maybe that will help me in the future. Thanks.

Per Daniel S�rensen <psoren@_RM_eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:<%Fsid.5267$rh1.153574@news2.e.nsc.no>...
> Jamie wrote:
>
> >I am trying to change my 6 gig drive to a 60 gig in a AMD k6 2 /350. I
> >can not get the CMOS to automatically recognize it. I have tried to
> >manually set the parameters and it does not work.
> >
> >Is it possible to use such a big hard drive with this old computer? If
> >so, please help.
> >

> It might help if you mentioned the make and model of the
> motherboard. I would recommend a BIOS upgrade, if there
> is one available for your motherboard that will support a
> 60GBdrive. I installed a 80GB drive on a K6 233 machine
> with an epox ep-mvp3c2 motherboard, all I had to do was
> upgrade the BIOS, and it got recognized automatically.
>
> Per D. S�rensen
0
jamieledwell

New 60 Gig WD Hard Drive being detected as a Seagate 40 Gig
First off, I just want to say that I am not a MAC tech at all. I am doing this as a favor to a friend who's hard drive went bad. Please excuse my ignorance. I put a new Western Digital 60 Hard Drive in a PowerBook G4. When I booted to the OS CD to reinstall the OS, it is detecting it as a Seagate 40 Gig. Really Odd. Does anyone have any ideas or clues on to why it would be doing this and what do you recommend I do? Thanks in Advance! Neil In article <1153150083.349393.12470@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, nmowatt@gmail.com wrote: > I put a new Western Di...

dual os on the same pc with 2 hard drives
I have a pc with 2x80gb hard drives "C" and "E". "C" drive has XP home sp2 installed. "E" drive is used for storing files. I have legal copy of Windows 98SE that I would like to install on the "E" drive. This setup would let install different version of MS Office, and other software that might clash with that on "C" drive. Anybody know if this is possible? Mick Mick: You may wish to see: http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm On 9 May 2006 12:13:49 -0700, java-s@tiscali.co.uk wrote: -|I have a pc with 2x8...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Any OS good for a 2.1 gig hard drive?
It's got decent RAM, 144, so I'd like to get this old laptop to the point where it will be a good backup machine. Any suggestions? TIA. I have an observation and two suggestions. The observation arises from my playing recently with an old machine I made up from fleamarket parts back at the start of things -- it uses an 80286 processor. For the work that I do -- fiction text -- that machine was good enough then and today, it's still good enough. Faster and more complexified OSs of all sorts, have probably cost me more time than ever they have saved. Don't knock simple old ...

Help with 1.2 Gig Hard Drive Limit!
I use a Link 2 with ICD Pro Utilities on my Mega ST4. Upgrading to a Link 97 isnt an option. Neither is switching from ICD's software. What I want to know: Is it true the capacity I can't exceed is 1.2 Gig. I want to use a SeaGate ST-11200N. Please E-Mail me. Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify...

4.2 Gig Baracuda Hard Drives on Falcons
I just picked up a lot of Seagate Baracudda 4.2 Gig Hard Drives. I had intended to use this on my Falcons for D2D recording and etc. Looking at the connection on these drives, they have a 68 pin Female connector similar to the SCSI Port on the Falcon. Of course the Falcon has a 50 pin SCSI connector. My Question is, Are there ready to use cables I can get to directly connect these drives to my Falcon? And are there cables I can get to daisy chain at least 2 maybe 3 of these drives and then connect them to the Falcon. When I bought these, I was under the impression th...

Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
I have a couple of old Classic MPE V/E boxes which I fire up periodically. Everything runs at present, but the hard drive bearings are starting to sing and warn me of their impending failure. If you remember, the old Classic boxes use HPIB (GPIB, IEEE-488) as the interface for hard drives. As HPIB hard drives are getting pretty rare, I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in putting a GPIB-to-PCI interface card in a Windows PC, writing code for the PC to make its GPIB interface look to the Classic 3000 like a 7937, and then successfully running the Classic 3000 wi...

Backup OS-9 hard drives on PC hardware.
When I was trying to back up my SyQuest EZ135 SCSI hard drive on a PC, I ran in to an interesting problem. I had the PC (parallel) version of the EZ135, and a SCSI version (hooked to my OS-9 machine). When I inserted a non-DOS formatted platter, the PC would not recognize it. The BIOS (or something) wanted the first sector to be PC-ish. So, my solution was to write a quick program in C to back up the first 512 bytes (sector) of the OS-9 disk, and copy the 512-byte sector from a PC disk to the OS-9 disk. This created an OS-9 disk (unusuable) that would be recognized by the PC. From...

Windows ME not detecting 60 gig western digital hard drive
ok......i recently aquired this 60 gig WD hard drive from my buddy. He built a new computer and no longer needed it. I installed it to my hewlett packard piece of crap pavilion and usually with a new hard drive you would just plug it in and it would detect it in my computer. It doesnt display that the drive is even there. I tried to install it manually through the add hardware wizard but i can never find straight up drivers for it. I have looked through the bios and the bios detects it as slave which is correct for the setup i have currently in place. I have tried hooking the hard drive ...

Have a new 18.2 GB Sun hard drive, would like to keep the current 4.2 GB drive in there...
Greetings! I have just recently received a new Sun hard drive (with a SPUD for fitting inside my Sun Ultra 30 computer). I have a few concerns, and I do not know enough about hardware to answer with certainty, so if anyone here has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input! It's a Fujitsu Model MAJ3182MC Ultra 160 SCSI/SCA2/LVD drive. The drive in the Ultra 30 is a 4.2 GB (the new one is a 18.2 GB) drive. It still works. Here is what I'd like to do. I'd like to put this disk in, along with the existing one, and it appears that two dri...

Re: Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
remember a hpib small drive was just a regular drive sometimes with a hpib interface board hooked to it... was so with workstations and I assume the small 3000 drives same? My 3000 drive times were with the washing machine sized oldies (7925 etc. Thanks, Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/) We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref. library - please advise if you have anything we can use. Coury House / SMECC 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. Phone 623-435-1522 Glendale Az 85301...

FS: 3 Hard Drives
1st bid wins! 3 Hard Drives - 20gb 10gb 6gb (drive 20 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5115747121 5 Western Digital 6.4gb gig Hard Drives (drive 6 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6700806547 ...

4.2 GIG SCSI III 68pin Baracudda Hard Drives
Would anyone be interested in a 4.2 GIG SCSI III 68pin Baracudda Hard Drive? I bought a LOT of these and have a few that I don't need. These are in like new condition. These are 3.5 drives and are great for D2D recording on the Falcon, or for use on a TT or other Atari using HD Driver. If interested, contact me for price. I may let up to 3 of them go. These are fairly hard to find in like new condition. If interested contact me at: phantomm@bellsouth.net ...

2 cpus working with 2 processes and 2 hard drives: RAID or non-RAID?
Hello, I want to run two copies of matlab at once on a dual processor non-RAID linux box. It has 8 gigs of ram (4/processor) and swap distributed across the 2 hard drives in it. Matlab is single threaded so will only use one processor, so I will run two copies of matlab at once to work independently, one using each processor. Unforatunately the work is disk-intensive due to huge data sets. I am afraid there will be no benefit since the two matlabs will compete for drive access. If I put the data that one matlab will use on one drive, and the data the second matlab will use on the other ha...

Web resources about - 60 Gig hard drive in a AMD K6 2 / 350 - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Why Trump Will Still Dominate the Republican Debate
Even off the stage, Donald Trump will cast a long shadow over the final GOP debate before voters begin to cast their preference for the next ...

Jeremy Heywood invited tax-dodging Google and Facebook for regular consultations
Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood, known as Sir Cover-Up because of his attitude to freedom of information, has held two meetings with Google ...

Venmo announces users can make payments within third-party apps, begins with Gametime and Munchery on ...
Brendan Klinkenberg / BuzzFeed : Venmo announces users can make payments within third-party apps, begins with Gametime and Munchery on iOS — ...

Oregon standoff: Ammon Bundy asks colleagues to go home
CNN Oregon standoff: Ammon Bundy asks colleagues to go home CNN Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon (CNN) Protest leader Ammon Bundy ...

Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl ‘Wardrobe Malfunction’ Remains A Poorly-Executed Publicity Stunt Despite Over-The-Top ...
With the Panthers playing in the Super Bowl on February 7, we are reminded by Billboard and other sources that the last time the Panthers played ...

New Drone Racing League Goes Mainstream With Pod Racing Feel
Vehicles fly around the track at 90 mph narrowly avoiding walls and each other as fans cheer on their drivers. No, it’s not Nascar, it’s drone ...

You’re probably going to hate Sprint’s latest plan to save you money
T-Mobile turned the wireless industry on its head when it began its "Un-carrier" initiatives a few years ago, and it instantly became the most ...

Google reveals Cardboard virtual reality numbers, and VR films are the surprise winner
Just one day after we highlighted Google's apparent interest in creating virtual reality hardware, the company came out on Wednesday to refocus ...

The Winner of Today's Historic Kanye West/Wiz Khalifa/Amber Rose Twitter Feud? The Sacramento Kings.
Unless you were completely disconnected from the internet/Earth today, you at some point ran into the triple-threat Twitter fight of the century ...

Mosquitoes linked to Zika virus 'are in the UK', expert says
Fears the Zika virus could strike Britain were fuelled after an insect expert claimed mosquitos that can carry the disease have been found here. ...