Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?

Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies
using them in their external drives?

I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
weigh a ton and are huge.

Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

Cheers,

Fred.

0
Fred
10/15/2007 5:10:07 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote

> I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
> weigh a ton and are huge.
>
> Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
good external disk-enclosure.

The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302

http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm

It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan, and can be used either via
USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA. In addition, and that may
be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable, meaning, they go into a
mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's internal frame-mounts
and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHOTANK/SOHORAID series,
For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.

http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohotank%20st1000-2-u5c.htm

So, get yourself as many SATA disks as you want, get a mountframe for
each one and ready to swap :-)

I use an external 500GB this way, via USB2.0 for backup purposes.

--
Greetings,
Andreas M.
> Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote
>
> > I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
> > weigh a ton and are huge.
> >
> > Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.
>
> Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
> yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
> good external disk-enclosure.
>
> The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302
>
> http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm
>

> It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan,

Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
from the disk to the enclosure going?

> and can be used either via USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA.
> In addition, and that may be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable,
> meaning, they go into a mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's
> internal frame-mounts and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHO-
> TANK/SOHORAID series,
> For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
> silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.
>
> http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohotank%20st1000-2-u5c.htm
>
> So, get yourself as many SATA disks as you want, get a mountframe for
> each one and ready to swap :-)
>
> I use an external 500GB this way, via USB2.0 for backup purposes.
0
Folkert
10/17/2007 10:49:49 PM
Previously Andreas M. <foobar@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote

>> I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
>> weigh a ton and are huge.
>>
>> Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.

> Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions and build one
> yourself. All you need is the preferred harddrive of your choice and a
> good external disk-enclosure.

With a bit of attention to detail, you will get a far better solution
at a moderate cost increase.

> The one I use is: Stardom iTank-i302

> http://www.stardom.com.tw/itank%20i302.htm

> It is aluminium, thus has no cooling fan, and can be used either via
> USB2.0 (Firewire version exists) _and_ eSATA. In addition, and that may
> be the coolest feature, the disks are swappable, meaning, they go into a
> mount-frame, which is compatible with Stardom's internal frame-mounts
> and most of the other models in the iTank/SOHOTANK/SOHORAID series,
> For example the ST1000-2-U5C which I use as well and which has a very
> silent fan, inspite of its small diameter.

Careful with fanless enclosures: I tested several disk in
one (Revoltec Alu Book), and only Smasung disks had power
consumprion low enough to stay reasonably cool.

Arno

0
Arno
10/18/2007 5:04:00 AM
Am 18.10.2007 00:49 Folkert Rienstra wrote

> Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
> So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
> from the disk to the enclosure going?

They did not need to. It has a "grid" at the back, near the PCB to the
one side and another "grid" is in the front of the mount frame, creating
air convection cooling.

I use this for approx 9 months now, without any problems so far. Also,
it is for my backup disks so I do not run it every day for long times.

--
Greetings,
Andreas M.

> With a bit of attention to detail, you will get a far better solution
> at a moderate cost increase.

What do you mean ?

I do backup with a dedicated backup program and copying with a
file-manager. What else could I want ?

> Careful with fanless enclosures: I tested several disk in
> one (Revoltec Alu Book), and only Smasung disks had power
> consumprion low enough to stay reasonably cool.

Thanks for pointing this out, but the disk is pretty well cooled (air
convection + aluminium) and it's a backup system, seldomly running, only
for those backups. I use a Maxtor and a Samsung disk, the latter being
my main backup drive.

--
Greetings,
Andreas M.
> Am 18.10.2007 00:49 Folkert Rienstra wrote
>
> > Obviously. And that shiny aluminum will transfer the heat just fine.
> > So where did they stick that little heatpump to get the heat transfer
> > from the disk to the enclosure going?

> They did not need to.

That's your opinion.

> It has a "grid" at the back, near the PCB to the  one side
> and  another "grid" is in the front of the mount frame,

> creating air convection cooling.

Yes, but it's convection path is diagonal, more horizontal than vertical so
the effect isn't what it could be, and this only in the standing up position.
The better the convection the better the drive will tranfer the heat to the
aluminum case too.

> I use this for approx 9 months now, without any problems so far.

A drive in a badly designed case would probably last that as well, so
that doesn't say much.

> Also, it is for my backup disks so I do not run it every day for long times.
0
Folkert
10/19/2007 5:00:28 PM
I am sure there are others but just today I was reading about one: Buffalo
has a unit which holds four drives, 1TB each.

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies
> using them in their external drives?
>
> I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They
> weigh a ton and are huge.
>
> Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.

0
just

SATA drives in the cosmos . . . I don't use no stinking drive sleds . . .
SATA drives in the cosmos . . . I don't use no stinking drive sleds . . . Let me tell you all a little story. One day a while back, (Once upon a time). I helped a friend setup a new motherboard. - It was actually a new case, power supply and motherboard. I was interested in seeing that the guy was using IDE racks and all of his hard drives were on sleds. I was aware of this type of hardware, but never thought it was for me, mainly because I thought one had to shutdown the computer to swap out a drive and since I was already doing that, and had setup my case and IDE cables to fa...

What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure.
What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure. ................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=- In article <41f823c0$0$25885$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com>, "Dr. ''Q''" <none@none.none> wrote: > What's the most stable/safe mini-dr...

What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure.
What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure. ................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=- ...

What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure. #2
What's the most stable/safe mini-drive? USB Flash, SD Card, PCMCIA Micro-Drive, other? ...I don't want to lose my data through drive failure. ................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=- On 1/26/05 5:30 PM, in article 41f823b5$0$25885$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com, "Dr. ''Q''" <none@none.none> wrote: > What's the most stable/...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "it bricked two hard drives...I don't have too many more hard drives to brick"
"The first time I figured that the hard drive failed at a coincidental time. But now it has happened, exactly the same, to a SECOND hard drive! .... This same disk was happily running Ubuntu 0810 just before I turned it off to install 1004, and had been for about six months. It was turned off and on perhaps every day or 2 or 3, always worked perfectly. The second disk had been off for six months, having been running up until then running ... 0810 at that time. When I replaced the first disk, the machine got through the BIOS fine, booted knoppix. I zero'ed the disk...

External drive won't start as startup drive
My external La Cie Firewire drive won't start from O.S. 9.22. (I also have O.S. 10.4.7 installed on that drive.) In the Startup control panel, I can choose OS 9.22 on the external drive as the startup system, but the computer drive starts instead after the restart. (I got the 9.22 system folder onto the external drive by dragging it there.) Tony In article <44A731D6.33CDAECC@email-address-to-deter-junk-mail.com>, Tony W. <not-my-real@email-address-to-deter-junk-mail.com> wrote: > My external La Cie Firewire drive won't start from O.S. 9.22. > > (I also hav...

Diskwarrior on external drive won't fix internal drive
I have an eMac attached to a firewire drive with two partitions, one of which has a bootable backup of my OS. I tried booting from the FW drive in order to use Diskwarrior on my internal hard drive but it refused to work because it said the eMac hard drive could not be unmounted. Using Disk Utility, I confirmed that the eMac hard drive cannot be unmounted. Why does this happen? Is there something essential on the internal hard drive that remains in use, even when I've booted from the FW drive? I can use Diskwarrior on the other FW partition, so I know it's working. I have a ...

Why sometimes external drives don't show as they should ?
My Mac Pro has an eSata PCI card (Sonnet) and a RocketU quad USB 3 card. Both have 4 ports and I have 3 1TB Lacie d2 quadra connected by eSata, and a various number of USB3 drives (0 to 3 according to my needs , 2 WD one Seagate). Now what happens from time to time is that one disk won't appear on the desktop, is not seen by Disk utility (nor by Disk Warrior). Hopefully I can recover it either by switching the disk off then on or by unplugging and replugging the connection cable. As I said this is unfrequent and I can live with it. But I'd like to know what is the cau...

Don't Trust External Hard Drives!
Don't Trust External Hard Drives! See: http://www.computercraft.com/docs/externalharddrive.shtml www.GETNJ.com <info@getnj.com> wrote: > Don't Trust External Hard Drives! Get Fucked!! > See: > http://www.computercraft.com/docs/externalharddrive.shtml Mindless pig ignorant hysterical hyperventilation. Rod Speed wrote: > www.GETNJ.com <info@getnj.com> wrote: > >> Don't Trust External Hard Drives! > > Get Fucked!! > >> See: >> http://www.computercraft.com/docs/externalharddrive.shtml > ...

LaCie DVD Rewritable Drive and Imation Superdisk Drive-Don't Work
I just purchased the LaCie DVD Rewritable Drive and connected it and now I can't get my Imation Superdisk Drive to work in either OS 9 or OS X. Any suggestions? I've tried connecting it by USB and Firewire. Also, I can't get Toast to recognize the LaCie drive under OS 9. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thnak you, Tim ...

Simple way to backup the 'Documents' in my iDisk to my laptop hard-drive? Using 'online' storage?
BACKGROUND: I use .Mac but only free trial which expires after 60 days. Every now and then, I simply COPY the /Documents/*.* in my iDisk to my hard drive (giving it a name like "copy-of-iDisk-documents-folder") It's very crude & simple. I use Windows machines which are on the net. I save documents, spreadsheets etc. to my iDisk so that I can access them from anywhere. The problem is that I often forget to do this. I was thinking of using an Automator workflow - I could try to teach myself how to do this. Before I go any further, is this the right sort of thing to do (o...

Can't use external drive for pre-burn disc image?
A friend sent me an SOS with the above-described problem -- at least, that's my guess. She gets the "disc full" message; I suspect her boot disc has less than requisite space. She has a big new external drive. Before I get over there and try to look smart, is this likely to be the case? She uses iTunes and Toast, not sure which is causing the trouble. Thanks for any suggestions! Andrew aduncan@expertcity.com >A friend sent me an SOS with the above-described problem -- at least, >that's my guess. She gets the "disc full" message; I suspect her boot >disc h...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when Mac OS X users don't exit/quit their programs correctly?
They don't use "Quit", but the window's red X button so they have tons of softwares still running in the background. They wonder why their Mac OS X is so slow due to low resources. And yes, I told the users zillions of times about it. They keep thinking Windows. :/ -- "Don't even step on an ant." --Greek /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Google Drive gets failing grades for privacy
Google is a "Linux company" IFF it helps them make more money. <quote> Linux Users Petition Google for Native Drive Client June 7, 2013 Back in April of last year, when Drive was launched, Google assuaged anger from Linux users feeling left out by assuring that a Linux client was on the roadmap. A year on and that client has yet to materialize in any shape or form. Which is slightly puzzling when you realise that many Google employees use an internal OS based on Ubuntu. Surely they'd want Drive functionality, too? Drive is supported natively on Chrom...

Web resources about - Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives? - comp.pc.hardware.storage