Anyone use Seagate Disk Wizard for Cloning?

I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to a new
Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized in
BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition that has 4
other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All partitions
formatted NTFS.

I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work, but
when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the primary,
XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot sector.
When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted to
Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.

So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
(BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location (the
Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I tried
Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to copy
everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the option
where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it was
ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it would copy
each old partition to its respective new partition.

Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be simple?!!
I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me nuts.
I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and FixMBR
off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True Image wants
to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy up the
added 40GB.

0
wamaruna
2/1/2005 1:46:29 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8685 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I always use Norton Ghost.  Its an amazing program that has always
worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS.  Try it!

wamaruna wrote:
> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
a new
> Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized
in
> BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
that has 4
> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All
partitions
> formatted NTFS.
>
> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work,
but
> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
primary,
> XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot
sector.
> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>
> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
> (BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location
(the
> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor
MaxBlast
> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I
tried
> Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to
copy
> everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the
option
> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
was
> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
would copy
> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>
> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
> partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be
simple?!!
> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
nuts.
> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
FixMBR
> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
Image wants
> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
up the
> added 40GB.

0
salsasam85
2/1/2005 4:32:19 AM
salsasam85 <stech85@hotpop.com> wrote in message

> I always use Norton Ghost.  Its an amazing program that has
> always worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS.  Try it!

And it costs peanuts as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003 off ebay.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt included in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

> wamaruna wrote:
>> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
> a new
>> Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized
> in
>> BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
> that has 4
>> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All
> partitions
>> formatted NTFS.
>>
>> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work,
> but
>> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
> primary,
>> XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot
> sector.
>> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
>> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>>
>> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
>> (BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location
> (the
>> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor
> MaxBlast
>> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I
> tried
>> Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to
> copy
>> everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the
> option
>> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
> was
>> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
> would copy
>> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>>
>> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
>> partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be
> simple?!!
>> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
> nuts.
>> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
> FixMBR
>> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
> Image wants
>> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
> up the
>> added 40GB.

0
Rod
2/1/2005 4:40:11 AM
In article <VbBLd.79881$Tf5.9405@lakeread03>, wamaruna
<wamaruna@cox.net> writes

> I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
>3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.

I am not sure I understand what you did with Maxblast 3.

You did create a floppy bootable disk by running Maxblast3.exe?

You did boot from the floppy diskette?

What was the error message under windows and under what circumstances.

I have used Maxblast to do what you are trying to do.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"O� sont les neiges d'antan?"
0
Nicholas

Mystery CPM disk
I have a couple of disks that have the following geometry: 2 sides, 48 TPI, 512 bytes per sector, 10 sectors per track, sectors numbered 1-10 on side 1, 11-20 on side 2, and side 2 headers declare they're actually on side 1 (so essentially masking 2-sided-ness). The following diskdef for cpmtools works correctly for viewing and extracting files; the skew was pretty tough to arrive at via inspection: # Mystery diskdef mystery seclen 512 tracks 40 sectrk 20 blocksize 2048 maxdir 64 skewtab 0,4,8,2,6,1,5,9,3,7,10,14,18,12,16,11,15,19,13,17 bo...

Disk in use when not in use
After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be loaded. C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same outcome. This was corrected by rebooting and using an archived desktop. To make sure everything is OK I next booted into my maintenance partition and tried to run CDKDSK C: /F. It wouldn't run because the disk was "in use or locked by another process". Excep...

anyone using these disks with VMS?
Seagate Cheetah ST34502LW (firmware 0004) Quantum XP34300 (REV H) Seagates yes Quantum - no way DT -- David B Turner Island Computers US Corporation 2700 Gregory St., Suite 180 Savannah GA 31404 DIRECT#: 912 232 1729 Tel: 912 447 6622 Fax: 912 201 0402 Email: dbturner@hpaq.net http://www.hpaq.net "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply" <helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de> wrote in message news:cg2tid$2m4$1@online.de... > Seagate Cheetah ST34502LW (firmware 0004) > > Quantum XP34300 (REV H) > In article <10i9uno9cs5j60b@news.supernews.com>, "Isla...

Using dd for disk cloning
I'm trying to clone an existing drive (ext3) to a USB drive. Booted into rescue mode with cd1, did a dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4k after 3 hours, dd reports 145G data written. So I rebooted the box and then mount /dev/sdb1, there is nothing on it! df shows 55G of data, but ls shows nothing. any idea? [root@www root]# df -mh Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 133G 55G 72G 44% / none 1004M 0 1004M 0% /dev/shm /dev/sdb1 133G 55G 72G 44% /mnt/usb [root@www root]# ls -a /mnt/usb/ .. .. [root@www root]...

Cloning a disk using dd
I'm trying to clone a Win2K disk using Fedora Live on a USB FLASH disk. I did a dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb It seems to have cloned the MBR correctly and the partition layout looks correct when I look at it using GParted. However when I tried to the boot the cloned 2K disk it started to boot and then failed with an inaccessible boot disk error. When I booted the original 2K disk and tried to look at the cloned disk it said that the disk wasn't formatted. So it appears that the NTFS file system wasn't cloned correctly. The source disk is an old 40G that I had laying around,...

Memory Disk
Hiya; I've got a Clearpath L520 running 50.1 MCP, and (in common with everyone else these days) have oodles of memory. 130 Megawords, of which I can only use some 70 MW with the databases cranked up to almost obscene values of allowedcore. While trying to think of other ways to use it up, I've been playing with creating 20 Megawords of Memory Disk, and then setting DL SORT to that disk (family). But - our sorts are too big, and I can't guarantee that they're no concurrent. Anyone use Memory Disk out there? What do you put on it? Thanks JB ----== Posted via Newsf...

why disk Avail < (disk Size
df -H: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr where is ~15 G ? -santtu On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo wrote: > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > where is ~15 G ? tunefs(8) is the key. Note the options -m and -o. Regards Chris Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on >...

Anyone using Seagate Holos 7?
Hi, Sorry - maybe I'm in wrong group... We are still using Seagate Holos 7 EIS on OpenVMS. We have 7.0 clients on Windows. When migrating to Windows XP we found some stange errors: on some Windows accounts HOLOS client doesn't work. There's some dump in HOLOS.LOG but not very clear.. It works pefectly on the SAME machine but with other Windows account. I checked almost everything: registry, system variables, access rights but in vain. Does anyone know any solution? Zbig Seagate Holos has unfortenately become a dead end, and will be an unsupported p...

anyone use PC Fast Connect?
Hello forum. I am in the process of transitioning from a very simple Samba configuration to IBM's PC Fast Connect and I was wondering if anyone had any gotchas, wisdom, hard won experiences with the product they could share. As I said, very flat config currently with just file shares out to a mixed population of about 300 Win98, Win2K and WinXP machines. emebohw@netscape.net (sumGirl) wrote in message news:<a5e13cff.0405270430.7d6ce716@posting.google.com>... > Hello forum. I am in the process of transitioning from a very simple > Samba configuration to IBM's PC Fast Connec...

anyone used libtiff for power pc?
Hello previously i post to ask about how to add dylib etc but realise that is for mach-o project. Does anyone use libtiff before? I need to know how to compile for power PC instead of 68K or for mach-o (.a and .dylib) Think the output should be a .lib file. Thanks a lot!!! -- Best Regards Eleen dans l'article btt2s4$u5d$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg, neele � eleen@kikuze.com a �crit le 12/01/04 4:22�: > Hello > > previously i post to ask about how to add dylib etc > but realise that is for mach-o project. > > Does anyone use libtiff before? I...

Anyone used PC-relocator yet????
I bought this PC Relocator pgm from walmart about a year ago and never did get it working proberly. It was sold by an oufit called Aloha Bob. Its supposed to migrate all your files from one laptop to another or from laptop to desktop and viceversa. I am still wondering if I bought a DUD??? Joe (aka kilroy) (email addr valid) **************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO * **************************************************** ...

Anyone using ZFS with SAN storage?
ZFS seems designed to combine a number of real disk devices into a storage pool, using various RAID techniques. How well does it work in the situation where storage comes from a virtual disk on a SAN, presented in the form of a single LUN? I'm setting up a large IMAP server with storage provided by an iSCSI SAN. All of the redundancy and other disk management will take place on the SAN. ZFS on the server will provide valuable filesystem features, such as dynamic sizing and snapshots. This seems like a good design to me. Are there any drawbacks to using ZFS in this manner? Taking it ...

Using GHOSt with ASM disks
Have a customer of a datawarehouse product my company supply asking best way to clone a server with an Oracle ASM partition. Want an exact clone of a 'live' server for DR use. Any ideas? On Apr 11, 5:00=A0am, "GPD" <j...@thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> wrote: > Have a customer of a datawarehouse product my company supply asking best w= ay > to clone a server with an Oracle ASM partition. > > Want an exact clone of a 'live' server for DR use. > > Any ideas? You aren't really thinking of using Norton GHOST for doing this are y...

using C64-formatted disks and PC
If you try to use a disk on your C64/128 which was used in a PC it is not possible to format that disk on the C128D-CR (with the CBM-format). There will always be an error after formatting. Now I also figured out that the problem also seems to be the other way round. I formatted a C64-disk on the PC (wich the MS-DOS format), copied a D64 on it and wanted to copy this to a C64 disk with the C64-PC-Tranfer. It seemed that the D64 worked in the PC floppy but the C128 was not able to make a working copy until I used a disk for the D64 that has only been used on the PC before. What's the pro...

Web resources about - Anyone use Seagate Disk Wizard for Cloning? - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Cloning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the cloning of human beings, see Human cloning . For other uses, see Cloning (disambiguation) . In biology, cloning is the process of producing ...

Japan Cloning Services - a set on Flickr
I've been in desperate need of a clone to help out for many moons now. While work is fun, there's not much time to relax which is important to ...

Cloning pets is a lucrative business for South Korea's Sooam Biotech
When their dog died, the British couple were devastated. So they had his tissue cloned in South Korea.

Scientists use cloning to make stem cells matched to two adults
Scientists have replicated one of the most significant accomplishments in stem cell research by creating human embryos that were clones of two ...

South Korean dog cloning company will reward puppy love ... and writing skills
A DOG cloning company has launched a competition to reward a dog-owner with a genetic copy of their beloved booch.

Dentist dreams of cloning John Lennon
Cloning could have its uses in the beef cattle industry, but why recreate a deceased Beatle or woolly mammoth?

Thinking outside the egg, scientists propose interspecies cloning
It was nearly a decade ago that Jose Cibelli plugged his own DNA into a cow's egg in a novel cloning attempt that was condemned as unethical ...

Perth Theatre down to a science with aliens and cloning on the way
April 11 - July 13 The Perth Theatre Company has announced its 2013 season, with a series of three works: the UK originated play A Number , ...

Zynga exec backtracks on game cloning statements
Dan Porter argues his words have been misrepresented

Woolly mammoth cloning 1 step closer thanks to genome research
Scientists are one step closer to bringing the woolly mammoth back from extinction, after uncovering almost the entire genomes of two mammoths. ...