Anyone use Seagate Disk Wizard for Cloning?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to a new
Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized in
BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition that has 4
other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All partitions
formatted NTFS.

I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work, but
when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the primary,
XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot sector.
When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted to
Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.

So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
(BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location (the
Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I tried
Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to copy
everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the option
where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it was
ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it would copy
each old partition to its respective new partition.

Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be simple?!!
I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me nuts.
I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and FixMBR
off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True Image wants
to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy up the
added 40GB.

0
Reply wamaruna 2/1/2005 1:46:29 AM

See related articles to this posting

I always use Norton Ghost.  Its an amazing program that has always
worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS.  Try it!

wamaruna wrote:
> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
a new
> Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized
in
> BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
that has 4
> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All
partitions
> formatted NTFS.
>
> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work,
but
> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
primary,
> XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot
sector.
> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>
> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
> (BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location
(the
> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor
MaxBlast
> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I
tried
> Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to
copy
> everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the
option
> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
was
> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
would copy
> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>
> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
> partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be
simple?!!
> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
nuts.
> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
FixMBR
> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
Image wants
> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
up the
> added 40GB.

0
Reply salsasam85 2/1/2005 4:32:19 AM

salsasam85 <stech85@hotpop.com> wrote in message

> I always use Norton Ghost.  Its an amazing program that has
> always worked for me on any disk, any partition, any OS.  Try it!

And it costs peanuts as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003 off ebay.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt included in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

> wamaruna wrote:
>> I am having a devil of a time trying to clone my Maxtor 80GB drive to
> a new
>> Seagate 120GB drive.  Running XP Pro with SP2.  Both drive recognized
> in
>> BIOS.  Maxtor has 20GB primary partition, plus extended partition
> that has 4
>> other logical drives that use up the balance of the space.  All
> partitions
>> formatted NTFS.
>>
>> I first tried cloning with Acronis True Image 8.  It seemed to work,
> but
>> when I yanked out the Maxtor and set the Seagate as master on the
> primary,
>> XP would not boot.  System acted as though it could not see boot
> sector.
>> When I rehooked up Seagate as slave and Maxtor as master and booted
>> Maxtor, in XP I could see all the files on the Seagate.
>>
>> So I wiped the Seagate and tried CopyWipe from Terabyte Unlimited
>> (BootItNG).  It failed, saying it could not find the target location
> (the
>> Seagate - even though the BIOS sees it fine.)  I then tried Maxtor
> MaxBlast
>> 3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.  FInally, I
> tried
>> Seagate's Disk Wizard.  Well, I almost tried it.  The default is to
> copy
>> everything to a single partition.  Don't want that!  I then used the
> option
>> where I defined each new partition, size-wise, and software said it
> was
>> ready to go, but I chickened out, because it was not clear if it
> would copy
>> each old partition to its respective new partition.
>>
>> Has anyone used DiskWizard this way with success?  Did it copy each
>> partition's contents in turn to the new drive?  Why can't this be
> simple?!!
>> I'm an experienced computer user and builder, but this is driving me
> nuts.
>> I even tried to revisit the True Image, intending to use FixBoot and
> FixMBR
>> off the recovery console if need be, but I noticed now that True
> Image wants
>> to expand only the four logical partitions, not the primary, to divvy
> up the
>> added 40GB.

0
Reply Rod 2/1/2005 4:40:11 AM

In article <VbBLd.79881$Tf5.9405@lakeread03>, wamaruna
<wamaruna@cox.net> writes

> I then tried Maxtor MaxBlast
>3, but it terminated under Windows with an error message.

I am not sure I understand what you did with Maxblast 3.

You did create a floppy bootable disk by running Maxblast3.exe?

You did boot from the floppy diskette?

What was the error message under windows and under what circumstances.

I have used Maxblast to do what you are trying to do.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"O� sont les neiges d'antan?"
0
Reply Nicholas 2/1/2005 5:19:29 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8577 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using dd for disk cloning
I'm trying to clone an existing drive (ext3) to a USB drive. Booted into rescue mode with cd1, did a dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4k after 3 hours, dd reports 145G data written. So I rebooted the box and then mount /dev/sdb1, there is nothing on it! df shows 55G of data, but ls shows nothing. any idea? [root@www root]# df -mh Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 133G 55G 72G 44% / none 1004M 0 1004M 0% /dev/shm /dev/sdb1 133G 55G 72G 44% /mnt/usb [root@www root]# ls -a /mnt/usb/ .. .. [root@www root]...

Memory Disk
Hiya; I've got a Clearpath L520 running 50.1 MCP, and (in common with everyone else these days) have oodles of memory. 130 Megawords, of which I can only use some 70 MW with the databases cranked up to almost obscene values of allowedcore. While trying to think of other ways to use it up, I've been playing with creating 20 Megawords of Memory Disk, and then setting DL SORT to that disk (family). But - our sorts are too big, and I can't guarantee that they're no concurrent. Anyone use Memory Disk out there? What do you put on it? Thanks JB ----== Posted via Newsf...

anyone using these disks with VMS?
Seagate Cheetah ST34502LW (firmware 0004) Quantum XP34300 (REV H) Seagates yes Quantum - no way DT -- David B Turner Island Computers US Corporation 2700 Gregory St., Suite 180 Savannah GA 31404 DIRECT#: 912 232 1729 Tel: 912 447 6622 Fax: 912 201 0402 Email: dbturner@hpaq.net http://www.hpaq.net "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply" <helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de> wrote in message news:cg2tid$2m4$1@online.de... > Seagate Cheetah ST34502LW (firmware 0004) > > Quantum XP34300 (REV H) > In article <10i9uno9cs5j60b@news.supernews.com>, "Isla...

Cloning a disk using dd
I'm trying to clone a Win2K disk using Fedora Live on a USB FLASH disk. I did a dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb It seems to have cloned the MBR correctly and the partition layout looks correct when I look at it using GParted. However when I tried to the boot the cloned 2K disk it started to boot and then failed with an inaccessible boot disk error. When I booted the original 2K disk and tried to look at the cloned disk it said that the disk wasn't formatted. So it appears that the NTFS file system wasn't cloned correctly. The source disk is an old 40G that I had laying around,...

Using GHOSt with ASM disks
Have a customer of a datawarehouse product my company supply asking best way to clone a server with an Oracle ASM partition. Want an exact clone of a 'live' server for DR use. Any ideas? On Apr 11, 5:00=A0am, "GPD" <j...@thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> wrote: > Have a customer of a datawarehouse product my company supply asking best w= ay > to clone a server with an Oracle ASM partition. > > Want an exact clone of a 'live' server for DR use. > > Any ideas? You aren't really thinking of using Norton GHOST for doing this are y...

Anyone using Seagate Holos 7?
Hi, Sorry - maybe I'm in wrong group... We are still using Seagate Holos 7 EIS on OpenVMS. We have 7.0 clients on Windows. When migrating to Windows XP we found some stange errors: on some Windows accounts HOLOS client doesn't work. There's some dump in HOLOS.LOG but not very clear.. It works pefectly on the SAME machine but with other Windows account. I checked almost everything: registry, system variables, access rights but in vain. Does anyone know any solution? Zbig Seagate Holos has unfortenately become a dead end, and will be an unsupported p...

Does anyone still use floppy disks? (real or virtual)
I had kind of got to wondering, are there many of you still getting your gaming enjoyment from games on those ancient floppy-disk thangs, or are we all WHDLoad whores in these modern times of retrogaming? Now that I've really decided to get rid of my nice almost-shiny A4000, even in the virtual Amiga world I'm still not particularly keen to use those floppy-disk things. I can almost hear the floppy drive clunking away as the level data loads so slowly, and I think to myself "hasn't someone written an installer for this one yet?" :) (I was thinking of this when...

Disk in use when not in use
After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be loaded. C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same outcome. This was corrected by rebooting and using an archived desktop. To make sure everything is OK I next booted into my maintenance partition and tried to run CDKDSK C: /F. It wouldn't run because the disk was "in use or locked by another process". Excep...

why disk Avail < (disk Size
df -H: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr where is ~15 G ? -santtu On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo wrote: > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > where is ~15 G ? tunefs(8) is the key. Note the options -m and -o. Regards Chris Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on >...

FA: Apple ][ (not ][+) Clone, 2 Disk ][ clones, Apple Joystick clone
Hello All! I'm offering the following Items on (German) ebay: An Apple ][ (not ][+) clone w/ Language Card in an original-Apple-shape case, RAM, ROM and CPU are tested and working, Text mode works, Graphics modes don't work correctly (but the program keeps running, only the display does not work correctly). I guess it needs a few new 74xx chips, they're all socketed, but currently I don't have the time to fix it myself since my studies have to take first place. I'm adding in another non-working mainboard of the same vintage. The power supply is for 220-230V AC,...

can anyone tell me if this is useful to anyone
Hey Folks, I have been writing some string manipulation routines, some I am done with others I am still working on. I know some of the code written here can surely be better implemented. for one, i could do away with the list and use a dynamically allocated array. I think though this code would be very useful for manipulating huge strings in core at that point of time. i don't think though it is as advantageous for smaller strings. i haven't put any error checking stuff, this was just something I was playing with(as you may well realise) after looking at the code. With the routines is...

How-to mirror system disk using disk suite
Hi, Could anyone advice me how to mirror the system disk using disk suite (solaris 8). The mirrored disk should be able to boot when the primary system disk is failed. Thanks in advance, YC YC wrote: > Could anyone advice me how to mirror the system disk using disk suite > (solaris 8). The mirrored disk should be able to boot when the primary > system disk is failed. There is a few webpages which explain (step by step) this process. Why not ask google about it? For instance, a combo of "sds", "mirror", and "root" produced the following link: ...

How Clone a hard disk on a Ultra10 (IDE disks ) ?
How Clone a hard disk on a Ultra10 (IDE disks ) ? > How Clone a hard disk on a Ultra10 (IDE disks ) ? if the HDs are identical you can use "dd" otherwise devfsadm (to recognize the new HD) format -> partition -> label (define partition you want to clone) mount; ufsdump | ufsrestore (for every partition) installboot (to make disk bootable) See man pages for details Oscar del Rio wrote: > format -> partition -> label (define partition you want to clone) missed one important step below > mount; ufsdump | ufsrestore (for every partition) ^ newfs befor...

Anyone using Use Case Points to estimate?
Anyone have good or bad experiences using Gustav Karner's use case points to do software project estimation? Anyone use Duvessa's Estimate Easy UC? It is based on Karner's work and just one a Jolt Productivity award. The concept is summarized at: http://www.globaltester.com/sp7/usecasepoint.html. The Ribu thesis on that page goes into much greater detail. It makes this approach seem quite promising, especially in its simplicity. Thanks for any feedback. - Ken <kk_oop@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1103083093.891100.137370@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Anyone...

Does anyone use Easy-to-use pdf to word?
Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results? No Not a godd deal since there are many free programs to do the same thing. SPAM!! Ted Schoenle wrote: > Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com > > For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good > results? > Not a good deal since there are > many free programs to do the > same thing... Many time I need to display information from a manufacturer's data sheets in my web...

Does anyone use Easy-to-use pdf to word?
Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results? I use this tool. For me it works fine, much better than verypdf I have used before. > Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com > For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good > results? ...

Does anyone use Easy-to-use pdf to word?
Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results? Todd H. wrote: > "Ted Schoenle" <ted@hotmail.com> writes: > > >>Does anyone use this http://shill-for-pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com >> >>For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good >>results? > > > Nah, I use the free Cute PDF writer. > http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp No, you cannot convert PDF documents to ...

Does anyone use Easy-to-use pdf to word? #2
Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results? I use this tool. For me it works fine, much better than verypdf I have used before "Ted Schoenle" <ted@hotmail.com> �������/�������� � �������� ���������: news:em5vme$2gb6$1@atlantis.atlantis.dp.ua... > Does anyone use this http://pdf-to-word.easy-to-use-solutions.com > > For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results? > > Use a web-based convertor if you only need to convert to PDF once...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. Last I saw was expensive but good reports. but whats wrong with the Palm WiFi card? $100 and your on your way. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041048088400%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I&#...

Anyone have a Disk ][ manual or a book for the disk II controller?
Either printed , scanned or a pdf it doesnt matter. Its rather urgent though. Thanks On Apr 2, 10:03=A0am, Mrbill317 <pcte...@gmail.com> wrote: > Either printed , scanned or a pdf it doesnt matter. Its rather urgent > though. > > Thanks it's on the net somewhere..... all it contains is "plugging in the card", "attaching the drive to the card" and do's/dont's In article <305f8480-2622-4c2e-8be7-ddbcb92f20bb@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Mrbill317 <pctech1@gmail.com> wrote: > Either printed , scanned or a pdf it doesnt m...

using geom labled disks as sb disks for gvinum
Let me paint the scenerio so people can suggest alternate ideas: 1. I am installing FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on to a USB drive (http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2) 2. Unlike the article I am usign multiple USB drives (diff sizes) to build the system a. GEOM allows you to label in such a way that no matter what value of X they have in /dev/daX they will be mounted in the right place 3. It is very hard to pre-guess the size of a port/package before install (if someone knows how to do this *PLEASE* let me know) 4. Due to 3 it is...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041043593447%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if > anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. > I haven&...

Anyone using or used Palm-DB? Simple question....
Got it loaded and created my first database. Only question is how do I get the horizontal seperation lines between each record? I have Palm III OS 3.1..... Does it require a later OS version? The tutorial doesn't mention how to do it. Or which plugin does it. Any help appreciated. thanks elfa "elfa" <elfa_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:bifu2401vil@drn.newsguy.com... > Got it loaded and created my first database. Only question is how do I get the > horizontal seperation lines between each record? I have Palm III OS 3.1..... >...

Harddisk-cloning: possible to log that the source disk has been cloned?
Hello! I hope you can answer me a question: I read in a magazine an article about copy protection and cloning. In that article a programmer of a big software company said, it would be possible to recognize, that a harddisk has been cloned or imaged. ? Hmmm, I don't think so. If I connect a harddisk as slave to my PC and don't start any software of that drive, how can this be identified? At least a program which logs it anywhere must be executed as soon as the source disk will be accessed. But how will this program be executed? May be here is one assembler-programmer r...