From: Anthony Bertorelli (shadowman2001@earthlink.net)
Subject: Maxtor USB hard drive problem
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 2002-01-11 18:40:11 PST

I recently purchased an external USB hard drive for
backup purposes.
The USB drive is actually USB2, but it is backward compatable with
the
older standard.  I'm not really concerned about speed, as this is
backup drive.

The problem is, if the USB hard drive is connected to the computer,
the computer will not boot.  It will hang at the end of the memory
test.  I have tried several different USB ports, I've looked
through
various settings in my BIOS, and have even formatted the drive with
NTFS (I'm using Windows XP).

The hard drive *does* work, I just have to disconnect it from the
computer whenever I have to reboot.  Then when the computer
boots,
reconnect the external drive.  Is this normal?  I'd like to
leave it
connected to the computer if I can.

I can't find anything on Maxtor's Knowledge Base, and nothing remotely
coming close on Google's archive.  Any insights will be
appreciated.

Thanks.

0
Rudy
3/4/2004 9:56:59 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Previously Rudy Davis <rudavis@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

> I installed an external Western Digital in an external USB 2.0 case to
> my Compaq computer yesterday.  The hard drive (once formatted) works
> fine once I plug it into the system and I can use it as an extra drive
> which is great.

> However if I "REBOOT" the Windows XP machine, it hangs after memory
> test and will not continue to boot.  If I unplug or poweroff the
> external USB 2.0 hard drive,  booting continues fine.

> The guy below had exactly the same problem as me back in 2002 but I
> did not see any replies.

> Any ideas ?

> Thank you,
> Rudy

The problem is that USB-boot is done by the BIOS. There are basically
three alternatives:

1. Does not work, and ignores USB boot device
2. Does not work and hangs
3. Does work

Also depends on the USB device.

What you can try is to see whether your BIOS allows you to give
different prioities to USB-boot or external-boot or the like.
Then make sure it is tried after the internal HDDs.

Arno
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F

Arno

Can I access my external hard drive through 2.0 USB PCI card rather than 1.1 motherboard via DOS?, tryitoz
Have a Compaq machine with 2 built in 1.1 USB ports (on motherboard). I can boot to DOS with a Win 98 DOS boot disk. This allows me to access all Fat 32 files on my hard drives. I have an ASPI driver that allows me to access my USB ports (external hard drive) while in DOS mode. Can the 520 product be accessed while in DOS mode? Should I disable my USB support in my CMOS?This is so that it disables 1.1 USB ports but hopefully will allow access to your 2,0 USB PCI card and associated drivers. I have been told that in some instances you MUST not disable the USB support of the comp...

Gigabit/USB 2.0 external 500GB drive/storage less than $400? #2
Hi, i am trying to find a network drive that is gigabit capable, that also (though i am willing to do without) has USB2.0 and is around 500GB. I didn't think this would be so difficult and i can find something like this but it is only 100Mb/Ethernet for $350+ everything else seems to start in the $500+ area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

USB 2.0 external hard drives
Are all USB 2.0 connected external hard drives that much slower than a similar Firewire 400 connected drive? It seems that based on what my friend's setup did. Recently I was helping a friend with a MBPro and he'd bought a USB 2.0 external hard drive. We copied his boot volume off his internal hard disk in the laptop. The cloned OSX on the external USB 2.0 drive booted, but noticeably VERY slowly compared to the internal drive in the MBPro. All this was 10.4.8. I just wanted to know if this was true in general for all USB 2.0 external hard drives. I had read USB 2.0 in Mac OS...

Can I boot to a Maxtor external USB 2.0 ?
Hi all, I just purchased a Maxtor U.S.B. 2.0 external 3000LS and an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card. I have an old Pent.III 500 with 256 Ram and an Award Bios I am hoping to install a clean copy of Windows XP Pro and my basic programs and internet and mail settings as well to this new drive and then format my original hard drive ( C: ) and then copy this clean copy to my C: drive. What's the best way to do this ? Can I Boot to the U.S.B. dtive in BIOS ? Appreciate any help ...

USB 2.0 external hard drive questions
I'm thinking about buying an external 3.5 " USB 2.0 enclosure to mount a spare IDE hard drive I have laying around. But first, I have a few questions: 1) My computer has only USB 1.1 and 33 mhz PCI slots on the mobo. If I buy a third-party usb 2.0 card and load SP1 on Win XP Pro, will the 33 mhz PCI slot be able to move data at 480 mbps (that's about 57 megabytes per second). 2) I noticed that the USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure manufacturers use a variety of different chip sets. Anyone know if one is better than another? 3) For all of you out there who have already installed a usb 2...

External USB hard drive & Windows XP
I have a 60GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV hard disk drive (originally the C: drive of my previous computer) installed in a USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosure. I plugged in the hard drive to the USB port on my HP M370n desktop computer. The HP recognizes the drive as it shows up in Windows Explorer as the K: drive. I'm also able to see the filenames in the root directory. However, all folders appear to be empty: when I double-click on any of the root folders, there are no files contained in them. Also, when I try to format the K: drive, I get the following error message: "Windows...

Comstar USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
A couple days ago, I noticed in a Future Shop store (here in Vancouver, B.C.), that there was a really cheap 1TB on sale. I need to get a new external HD, because the one that's connected to my computer is too small for me. I thougth that it was safe to buy it, because it was USB compatible and I could plug it into my fairly new iMac -- with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, running OS X v.10.5.6 -- but when I connected the HD it didn't open up on the desktop. The disk, that came along with the HD is only for Windows, there is nothing on the disk for the Mac. Can I get the p...

Can I install on a USB 2.0 external HDU?
I ordered Mandrake 10.1 to try Linux for day-to-day use. I put together a 120GB external drive so it wouldn't interfere with my XP. I want to install it on this drive but can't seem to figure out how to get to it if I do. Is what I want to do still a "dual boot" setup? Or can I setup a floppy/CD for booting to Linux on the external drive? Hope I've made my confusion clear... thanx in advance... Joe does the USB drive show up if F8 is pressed during the boot? original poster e-mailed: Yes... I get the advanced options menu and then a boot sele...

Windows not recognizing USB 2.0 external drive.
Have a 250 gig Simpletech USB 2.0 external h/d. I have 2 systems, one is running XP Home, one is running XP Media. On the XP Home machine, I have a Techgear USB 2.0 card running and when I start the drive, it recognizes and accesses it fine. However, on the XP Media machine which has built-in USB 2.0 ports, I get a "drive not recognized" message. Isn't XP supposed to have support for external drives? Perhaps I need to adjust something? "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.xom> wrote in message news:wvOxg.3424$gF6.33@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... ...

Sharing an External USB Hard Drive between Windows XP and Mac
I am trying to figur eout if an External USB drive can be shared (alternately) between a System with XP and a Mac. I have 2 laptops (a Mac and a XP) and am looking for a large common drive that I want to use as my Music, Doc etc storage and be able to use from both of my systems. Would I need to format the Drive specially? Really appreciate any / all help. - manzoor 31 Jan 2005 15:11:14 -0800, manzoorul.hassan@gmail.com suggested: : I am trying to figur eout if an External USB drive can be shared : (alternately) between a System with XP and a Mac. I have 2 laptops (a : Mac an...

Transfer rates of external USB 2.0 hard drive
I recently purchased a SimpleTech 500 GB USB 2.0 External HD ($169.99 at Amazon.com). I'm curious if the transfer rates I'm getting are about right. I copied 61.08 GB in 7,915 files (~7.90 MB/file) requiring 159:45 (MM:SS), yielding a transfer rate of 6,682 KB/sec from a JFS partition on the internal drive to a JFS partition on the external drive (I partitioned the entire external drive as one 500 GB volume). I'm confused because the SimpleTech documentation states that a USB 2.0 connection could yield transfer rates "up to 480 Mb/sec" (an...

External USB 2.0 hard drive case recommendations
I'm looking at getting an external USB 2.0 hard drive case for my ATA 80 GB hard drive. Anyone have any recommendations ? I was looking at Plumax, but someone recommended Bytecc ? "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:4e_jc.40296$0u6.6699876@attbi_s03... > I'm looking at getting an external USB 2.0 hard drive case > for my ATA 80 GB hard drive. > Anyone have any recommendations ? > I was looking at Plumax, but someone recommended Bytecc ? > For style, I quite like these.... Home page: http://www.stardom.com.tw/main_e....

Transfer rates of external USB 2.0 hard drive revisited
I've learned something interesting (to me, anyway) while experimenting with the SimpleTech 500 GB USB 2.0 External HD. I've read that keeping the /REMOVABLES:x option as low as possible speeds up access to the USB device. Based on cursory prior testing this seemed true and I kept /REMOVABLES at 1 because I was moving large amounts of data with the drive. This low value was inconvenient because I have two other USB 2.0 devices so I would always have to remember to eject the HD before I could use one of the others, but I was willing to pay this price for the ...

USB 2.0 / Firewire External Hard Drive and DVD writer
I have a external hard drive (Western Digital) and also a DVD writer (HP 200e) and they both have USB 2.0 and FireWire connection. I wonder if I'll have any issues with trying to use them with a Mac. I'm thinking of moving to Mac and these are the only 2 devices that I want to take with me. I'd really appreciate any comments. - manzoor Manzoorul Hassan (manzoorul.hassan@gmail.com) wrote: : I have a external hard drive (Western Digital) and also a DVD writer : (HP 200e) and they both have USB 2.0 and FireWire connection. I wonder : if I'll have any issues with t...

Web resources about - Can not boot once USB 2.0 external hard drive installed on Windows XP - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Chris Gayle posts photos of strip club installed in his own house
... his party lifestyle off the cricket field, but the West Indian has gone to a whole new level by showing off the new "strip club" he has installed ...

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

Giant Gollum installed at airport ahead of Hobbit film
A 12 metre-long sculpture carved using robotics and chainsaws has been installed at Wellington Airport ahead of The Hobbit premiere.