chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message

This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
unspecified error occurred"?

After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
to run at startup which I say yes to.

After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
message:  "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
and xp pr sp2 loads.

Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?

It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive.  I can run chkdsk c:
/p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
disks are fine.

I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
return code problem.

I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
and everything seems ok otherwise.

Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
so early.

Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?
0
John
2/10/2007 2:13:01 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:01 -0800, John. <noemail@cox.net> wrote:

>This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
>unspecified error occurred"?
>
>After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
>to run at startup which I say yes to.
>
>After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
>message:  "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
>and xp pr sp2 loads.
>
>Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?
>
>It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive.  I can run chkdsk c:
>/p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
>disks are fine.
>
>I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
>immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
>return code problem.
>
>I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
>and everything seems ok otherwise.
>
>Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
>There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
>so early.
>
>Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
the chkdsk process.  What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
the registry at the following key?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen.  Perhaps that
can show what's happening.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Michael Cecil <macecil@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:13:01 -0800, John. <noemail@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
>> unspecified error occurred"?
>>
>> After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the
>> prompt to run at startup which I say yes to.
>>
>> After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately
>> the message:  "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk
>> terminates and xp pr sp2 loads.
>>
>> Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?

>> It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive.

Thats likely significant because while chkdsk can just give
up like that on some subtle NTFS problems, you're unlikely
to have developed those on two different partitions.

>> I can run chkdsk c: /p from the recovery console to
>> do full scan for bad sectors, and both disks are fine.

Odder and odder.

>> I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
>> immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
>> return code problem.

Except that the repair console is quite different to the installed XP.

>> I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
>> and everything seems ok otherwise.

>> Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?

I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

Might be early bad caps on the motherboard too.

Might even be a bad power supply, excessive
ripple can produce the weirdest symptoms.

>> There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
>> so early.

Yep.

>> Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

> Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering
> with the chkdsk process.  What things are listed in the bootexecute
> string in the registry at the following key?
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Its unlikely to be that because that comes after the chkdsk run at startup.

> You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen.
> Perhaps that can show what's happening.

Ditto.

0
Rod
2/10/2007 6:34:09 PM
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:56:07 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
>the chkdsk process.  What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
>the registry at the following key?
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
>
>You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen.  Perhaps that
>can show what's happening.

The BootExecute key shows the normal:  autocheck autochk *

I enabled boot log, but I think that is after the pre-windows chkdsk
runs.

Other that this annoyance, everything is working fine.  I just have to
use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk which is annoying.

Any other ideas?
0
John
2/10/2007 7:56:24 PM
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:34:09 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
>minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

I swapped my two 512mb memory cards and tried again.  Same results.

Of course I can still run chkdsk from the Recovery Console, but kind
of inconvenient.
0
John
2/10/2007 7:58:08 PM
John. <noemail@cox.net> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>> I'd try and overnight memtest86 run, it could be that you have a
>> minor memory problem thats only visible in the startup chkdsk run.

> I swapped my two 512mb memory cards and tried again.  Same results.

Thats not good enough, try an overnight run of memtest86+

> Of course I can still run chkdsk from the Recovery Console, but kind of inconvenient.

And thats running on PE, not XP.

0
Rod
2/10/2007 8:47:20 PM
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:56:24 -0800, John. <noemail@cox.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:56:07 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>Perhaps you have something loading at boottime that is interfering with
>>the chkdsk process.  What things are listed in the bootexecute string in
>>the registry at the following key?
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
>>
>>You can enable boot logging from the Safe Mode menu screen.  Perhaps that
>>can show what's happening.
>
>The BootExecute key shows the normal:  autocheck autochk *
>
>I enabled boot log, but I think that is after the pre-windows chkdsk
>runs.
>
>Other that this annoyance, everything is working fine.  I just have to
>use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk which is annoying.
>
>Any other ideas?

Do you actually have the autochk.exe file in system32?  No other ideas.  I
see some references where people have needed to format and restore their
files from backup to fix the problem, but not a specific reason for the
error.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/hackingvista/
0
Michael
2/10/2007 10:33:56 PM
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:33:56 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Do you actually have the autochk.exe file in system32?  No other ideas.  I
>see some references where people have needed to format and restore their
>files from backup to fix the problem, but not a specific reason for the
>error.

Yes, it's there.  Your suggestion though has led me to review the
security and permissions for the c: drive and folders.  Some look a
little strange, but so far no luck.  It is almost like the autochk
program is getting denied access to the drive or some other registry
abnormality affecting this only.  (I'm not planning to reformat just
for this.  Think I'll wait awhile for Vista if I'm going to redo
everything.)

Thanks for your ideas.
0
John
2/11/2007 1:42:35 AM
"John." <noemail@cox.net> a �crit dans le message de news:
sgkrs29n4veusv6t9ppep285s8ei37u50l@4ax.com

> This is probably an XP issue, but can anyone help me getting "An
> unspecified error occurred"?
>
> After running 'chkdsk c: /f' from the command prompt, I get the prompt
> to run at startup which I say yes to.
>
> After startup, I get the 10 second countdown, and then immediately the
> message:  "An unspecified error occurred." and then chkdsk terminates
> and xp pr sp2 loads.
>
> Is there any way to find out WHAT the error is?
>
> It happens on both c: and d: (paging file) drive.  I can run chkdsk c:
> /p from the recovery console to do full scan for bad sectors, and both
> disks are fine.
>
> I don't think it is an actual drive problem because it happens
> immediately after starting chkdsk, almost as if there is some XP
> return code problem.
>
> I've thoroughly scanned the pc with multiple anti-malware products,
> and everything seems ok otherwise.
>
> Any ideas on what it is, or how I can get more info to debug this?
> There's nothing in the event viewer logs, probably because it happens
> so early.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug or get more info, or resolve?

Apparently, the chkdsk exe on your hard drive is corrupt.  With the recovery
console, you use the one on the installation CD.  The solution is to copy it
again from the CD.

Something like: expand E:\I386\chkdsk.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\chkdsk.exe

--
~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/

0
Cl

"Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle" error when restarting application
Hi, we're using Oracle 10g, in combination with Delphi (7). Application uses Oracle client dll (oraociei10.dll). Quick explenation about the structure (All files are on the network): - A launcher application is started by the client. The launcher application checks an .ini file for the current application versie (.exe filename with a version postfix, e.g. "Application_112.exe"). The launcher starts the executable specified in the .ini file. In this way we can "release" by putting a new .exe file and updating the .ini file. The problem: In our application we've ...

"Error occurred during initialization of VM" Error Message
Hi: I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat: "Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap" The server has 4GB of RAM and the Tomcat has been set to claim upto 2GB of memory. Any clues on why this message is being received? In article <71d45ce6-2318-4b0d-8239-ae9f4ed5ba98@b5g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, Hugo <hariubc@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi: > > I am receiving the following error message when I shutdown Tomcat: > > "Error occurred during initialization of VM > Could not r...

When using "error" should the error message and error information be the same?
I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy usage of the "error" command. To this time when I return an error I use the command set errMsg "An Error Message" error $errMsg $errMsg I was wondering if maybe I was using the arguments incorrectly here or if in reality there is no real difference between the two other than when it is available to the user (along with the returned stack when using $errorInfo). Eddie Borjas wrote: > I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy > usage of the "error" command. To this tim...

How To Accessing C++ Class objects in C : getting error fatal error C1189: #error : "eh.h is only for C++!"
hi , i am Getting this Error fatal error C1189: #error : "eh.h is only for C++!" my Problem is i am Having C++ librabry and Appropriate .h file i want to Access Them is .c File Files..... to Be More Specific i am Creating a C++ Object in a C file... this Giving me the error!!! :( can Any Body Please Help me How to Access the C++ object in C file... Thanks In Advance :) Hi, > How to Access the C++ object in C file... Please have a look at the following page http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/mixing-c-and-cpp.html Regards On Jan 7, 11:17=A0am, "sachinv1...@gmail.com...

Display error message if an error occurs on "open" command
How can I get the following code to display a meaningful error message if the "open" command doesn't succeeed? $blatString = "\|C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\blat.exe \"d:\temp\message_body.txt\" -t \"nobody@nowhere.com\" -s \"This is a test\" -f \"nobody@nowhere.com\" -i \"Web Server\" -server mail.nowhere.com > d:\temp\~blatoutput.txt"; open (MAIL2, $blatString)); I'd like something that displays the actual error encountered, not just something like this: $blatString = "\|C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\blat.exe \&q...

[Urgent]: How To Accessing C++ Class objects in C : getting error fatal error C1189: #error : "eh.h is only for C++!"
hi , i am Getting this Error fatal error C1189: #error : "eh.h is only for C++!" my Problem is i am Having C++ librabry and Appropriate .h file i want to Access Them is .c File Files..... to Be More Specific i am Creating a C++ Object in a C file... this Giving me the error!!! :( can Any Body Please Help me How to Access the C++ object in C file... Thanks In Advance :) "sachinv1821@gmail.com" <sachinv1821@gmail.com> writes: > How to Access the C++ object in C file... > Thanks In Advance :) You'd be better off asking in comp.lang.c++. I know this sounds...

"paper is jammed" "at the transport" error message-Canon Mp830 (false error)
I keep getting this error every time I print. It tells me there is paper stuck in the rear section of the printer.. I check, but nothing is there.. To print I close the front compartment then click ok after first opening and closing the drawer where the paper is in the front (using the front loader not the rear in fact). but after every page it says this. Has anyone run into this or found a fix? Thanks >From Canon Self Help site: E-mail this solution Print this solution Title Print E-mail How to remove jammed paper (sheet feeder) Case Id: 40766 Solutions ...

"Guardian Error" occured on tcp/ip operation"receive_tcp_ru_nowait" in C:D
I am trying to send file from mainframe to tandem via connect direct and getting error: Guardian Error "Guardian Error" occured on tcp/ip operation"receive_tcp_ru_nowait" in C:D Function "Recv_nw" netmap, LU and secure+ are all fine. Is there anything wrong with TCP process ? The message id is: GTCP001I RC 8 FDBK 1 What Guardian error number your application received? Any idea? That is the error.message I am receiving in ndmcom sel stat. No guardian error number :( On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:14:38 PM UTC+5:30, ChinmaY wrote: > That is the ...

Why display error message that is "pthdb_session.c, 794: 53 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error)" ??
Found core file in Pro*C program on AIX 5.2.0.0. The Core file contents is as follows pthdb_session.c, 794: 53 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1800: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) Illegal instruction (illegal opcode) in . at 0x0 warning: Unable to access address 0x0 from core (dbx) where pthdb_session.c, 794: 53 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1800: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) warning: Unable to access address 0xfffffffffffffffc from core warning: Unable to access address 0xfffffffffffffffc from core warning: Unable to access address 0xfffffffffffffffc from cor...

Error using SOPC builder
I'm trying to make a SDRAM controller with SOPC builder, but when I change the data width to 8bits I get the following error.. Warning: Signal "az_be_n" of type "byteenable_n" and width 1 must have width of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128. I'm trying to make the system for a 64Mb SDR SDRAM, Micron MT48LC8M8A2P-75. Even when I select the Alliance AS4LC2M8S0-10 chip it does the same thing. So I'm guessing it has to do with a width of 8 bits. Thank you, Eric On Oct 18, 12:39 pm, sendt...@gmail.com wrote: > I'm trying to make a SDRAM controller with SOPC build...

Encountering "%", and expecting "%" gives an error
Hello I have the same problem as this user has: https://javacc.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=1040 In my case the parser expects "%" (or some other tokens) and encounters a "%", but still gives an error. I have no idea what to do. Does anyone know of this problem? ...

"no error" errors
What is with the "no error" errors in Win32 ? I encountered yet another case, with bitblt, where the return value indicates error (0), but the call to getlasterror returns the "no error" code. This has occurred on several other calls, and I have to work around it by ignoring the error. In all these cases, the function appeared to work correctly, despite the error return. Is it just that it is so uncommon for people to actually check the error returns that some of them don't work ? -- Samiam is Scott A. Moore Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/sco...

MAC SE: "Bomb" crash "System Error"
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue...

I am using compact rio 9004 and get error message &quot;Error 43 occurred at File Dialog&quot;.
I am using compact rio 9004 and get error message "Error 43 occurred at File Dialog" when i try to run the embedded code. Tracing the code i found there is a directory structure that does not exist, so the rt host cannot open the file. This only happened after i reformatted the crio drive, i must of removed any file structure originally there. What i carnt understand is why it hasnt happened earlier, surely a repower would clear the directory it is searching for. Is there any way to copy a directory and files to the rt target so when host runs it opens the file? Can anyone help? Tha...

Web resources about - chkdsk c: /f gives "An unspecified error occurred" error message - comp.pc.hardware.storage