data recovery 2.5 inch hard drive short circuit

I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until i
accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device. The power
cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of those portable image
tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop HDD seems to be not spinning,
in that case device and in another that I know is working, and I need
to recover the 15GB of images on the HDD.

I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has been short
circuited somehow. Would you agree?

In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing the
circuit board with another from the same HDD could work. I have also
read that this doesn't always work as there are issues such as firmware
and head alignment mismatch to contend with. Would anyone suggest I try
this myself?

If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have some
professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!

Any help would be great.

0
hddbuster
7/9/2006 2:00:33 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until
> i accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device.
> The power cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of
> those portable image tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop
> HDD seems to be not spinning, in that case device and in
> another that I know is working, and I need to recover the
> 15GB of images on the HDD.

> I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has
> been short circuited somehow. Would you agree?

Over voltaged, anyway. Maybe, depends on whether
that image tank has any form of regulation of the 5V
that was supposed to be plugged into it. If it does, it may
just be that that got killed and that the drive itself is fine.

I'd check that first by seeing if the drive
will still work outside the image tank.

One of the easiest ways to do that is to get one of the adapters
thats designed to allow those laptop drives to be used internally
in a PC and see if it spins up and the data can be seen.

> In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing
> the circuit board with another from the same HDD could work.

Yes.

> I have also read that this doesn't always
> work as there are issues such as firmware

Yes, and some drives wont work even when you swap
the logic card between two identical brand new drives too.

> and head alignment mismatch to contend with.

The head alignment is never a problem with a logic card swap.

> Would anyone suggest I try this myself?

Really depends on how much you value the data.
Its safer to use one of the cheaper pro recovery
operations like http://www.retrodata.co.uk/

If you cant afford that, it is worth trying if the
alternative is to bin the drive and give up on the data.

> If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have
> some professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!

Some arent quite as bad as the worst of them.

> Any help would be great.

0
Rod
7/9/2006 4:51:00 PM
Previously hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until i
> accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device. The power
> cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of those portable image
> tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop HDD seems to be not spinning,
> in that case device and in another that I know is working, and I need
> to recover the 15GB of images on the HDD.

> I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has been short
> circuited somehow. Would you agree?

No, likely the electronics had been fried by massive overvoltage.
5V electronics can take up to 7V for a very short time. I have
seen 5V electronics explode (literally) when connected to
12V. Short-circuit is something different.

> In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing the
> circuit board with another from the same HDD could work. I have also
> read that this doesn't always work as there are issues such as firmware
> and head alignment mismatch to contend with. Would anyone suggest I try
> this myself?

Unlikely to work in this cae IMO. There is a pre-amplifier
on the head assembly. I would say the changes are excellent,
it has been fired too. You cannot replace that by
yourself. Also there may be smoke or particles inside of
the HDD. These might kill your heads if you get the HDD
to spin.

> If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have some
> professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!

I think that is the only reasonable choice.

Arno

0
Arno
7/9/2006 10:13:27 PM
hddbuster wrote:

> Arno Wagner wrote:
> > Previously hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until i
> > > accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device. The power
> > > cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of those portable image
> > > tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop HDD seems to be not spinning,
> > > in that case device and in another that I know is working, and I need
> > > to recover the 15GB of images on the HDD.
> >
> > > I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has been short
> > > circuited somehow. Would you agree?

<edited, for brevity>

> > > If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have some
> > > professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!
> >
> > I think that is the only reasonable choice.
> >
> > Arno
>
> Arno, thanks for your thoughts. I also think I wouldn't dare try this
> myself. The images on the fried HDD are my brother's round the world
> holidays snaps, and the HDD was fried only 1h after he returned home
> yesterday. Ooops.

Hello, Buster:

Let this be a lesson to you! NEVER rely on a single location (HDD, disc,
tape or whatever) for any important data. The more copies you have, the
better; one of them, at least, should be stored off-site.

Good luck, in your recovery efforts.

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
0
John
7/9/2006 11:39:00 PM
Rod Speed wrote:
> hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until
> > i accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device.
> > The power cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of
> > those portable image tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop
> > HDD seems to be not spinning, in that case device and in
> > another that I know is working, and I need to recover the
> > 15GB of images on the HDD.
>
> > I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has
> > been short circuited somehow. Would you agree?
>
> Over voltaged, anyway. Maybe, depends on whether
> that image tank has any form of regulation of the 5V
> that was supposed to be plugged into it. If it does, it may
> just be that that got killed and that the drive itself is fine.
>
> I'd check that first by seeing if the drive
> will still work outside the image tank.
>
> One of the easiest ways to do that is to get one of the adapters
> thats designed to allow those laptop drives to be used internally
> in a PC and see if it spins up and the data can be seen.
>
> > In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing
> > the circuit board with another from the same HDD could work.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I have also read that this doesn't always
> > work as there are issues such as firmware
>
> Yes, and some drives wont work even when you swap
> the logic card between two identical brand new drives too.
>
> > and head alignment mismatch to contend with.
>
> The head alignment is never a problem with a logic card swap.
>
> > Would anyone suggest I try this myself?
>
> Really depends on how much you value the data.
> Its safer to use one of the cheaper pro recovery
> operations like http://www.retrodata.co.uk/
>
> If you cant afford that, it is worth trying if the
> alternative is to bin the drive and give up on the data.
>
> > If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have
> > some professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!
>
> Some arent quite as bad as the worst of them.
>
> > Any help would be great.

Rod, Thanks for your advice. I did try the fried HDD in another image
tank that I knew to be working, and no go. The image tanks I use are
Vosonic X's Drives, so I guess they do not have fuses / transformers,
which is a little worrying. Have looked at Retrodata website and it
does look like a cheaper deal. Thanks.

0
hddbuster
7/10/2006 12:40:49 AM
Arno Wagner wrote:
> Previously hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until i
> > accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device. The power
> > cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of those portable image
> > tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop HDD seems to be not spinning,
> > in that case device and in another that I know is working, and I need
> > to recover the 15GB of images on the HDD.
>
> > I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has been short
> > circuited somehow. Would you agree?
>
> No, likely the electronics had been fried by massive overvoltage.
> 5V electronics can take up to 7V for a very short time. I have
> seen 5V electronics explode (literally) when connected to
> 12V. Short-circuit is something different.
>
> > In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing the
> > circuit board with another from the same HDD could work. I have also
> > read that this doesn't always work as there are issues such as firmware
> > and head alignment mismatch to contend with. Would anyone suggest I try
> > this myself?
>
> Unlikely to work in this cae IMO. There is a pre-amplifier
> on the head assembly. I would say the changes are excellent,
> it has been fired too. You cannot replace that by
> yourself. Also there may be smoke or particles inside of
> the HDD. These might kill your heads if you get the HDD
> to spin.
>
> > If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have some
> > professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!
>
> I think that is the only reasonable choice.
>
> Arno

Arno, thanks for your thoughts. I also think I wouldn't dare try this
myself. The images on the fried HDD are my brother's round the world
holidays snaps, and the HDD was fried only 1h after he returned home
yesterday. Ooops.

0
hddbuster
7/10/2006 12:43:39 AM
Hi John,

Yes I agree with you, and do store all other pics in 3 locations, both
internal and external to the PC. However, the pics I am mentioning were
only moments away from being transferred from the image tank (where
they were accumulating over the past 3 months of overseas travel) to a
secondary HDD for backup purposes. And this fact is what makes this
ordeal so particularly annoying. But I thank you for your well-wishes.

0
hddbuster
7/10/2006 7:52:03 AM
"hddbuster" <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote in message news:1152492219.131443.206480@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Arno Wagner wrote:
> > Previously hddbuster <garrit.koller@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > I have a laptop HDD rated at 5V which was working fine until i
> > > accidentally using the wrong power cord on the case device. The power
> > > cord was rated at 12V. The case device is only of those portable image
> > > tank things rated at 5V. Now the laptop HDD seems to be not spinning,
> > > in that case device and in another that I know is working, and I need
> > > to recover the 15GB of images on the HDD.
> >
> > > I am assuming that the circuit board on the HDD has been short
> > > circuited somehow. Would you agree?
> >
> > No, likely the electronics had been fried by massive overvoltage.
> > 5V electronics can take up to 7V for a very short time.

> > I have  seen 5V electronics explode (literally) when connected to 12V.

Presumably on a high powered PC Power supply, not on a simple brick.

> Short-circuit is something different.

Nope, that rather depends on the power and the kind of current overload
protection that is applied to the supply. A brick power supply may be able
to fuse a circuit to about a short but then not be able to blow that same
short out because of a lack of sufficient power capability.

> > > In which case, I have read that there is some chance that replacing the
> > > circuit board with another from the same HDD could work. I have also
> > > read that this doesn't always work as there are issues such as firmware
> > > and head alignment mismatch to contend with. Would anyone suggest I try
> > > this myself?

> > Unlikely to work in this cae

> IMO.

In your opinion.

> > There is a pre-amplifier on the head assembly.

Most electronics on a HD work on 3,3V so it sits behind a regulator.
The regulator that supplies the head amps may well have survived.

> > I would say the changes are excellent, it has been fired too.
> > You cannot replace that by yourself. Also there may be smoke or particles
> > inside of the HDD. These might kill your heads if you get the HDD to spin.

Fire and brimstone. Beware, the devil is in there.

> > > If not, than I guess I will need to foot the bill to have some
> > > professionals try the data recovery. Ugh!
> >
> > I think that is the only reasonable choice.
> >
> > Arno
>
> Arno, thanks for your thoughts. I also think I wouldn't dare try this
> myself. The images on the fried HDD are my brother's round the world
> holidays snaps, and the HDD was fried only 1h after he returned home
> yesterday. Ooops.
0
Folkert

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Housing two 2.5-inch hard disks in one 3.5-inch drive bay?
Found such a toy in local computer shopping arcade. Is it gonna kill both hard disks by heat? -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8 ^ ^ 19:57:01 up 3 days 3:26 0 users load average: 1.18 1.13 1.09 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA): http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa On 26/02/2010 12:58, Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote: > Found such a toy in local computer shopping arcade. > > Is it gonna...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

2.5 inch SCSI Hard Drive Adapter
Hello, I have several old SCSI hard drives from Mac laptops which I need to read data from. The drives are 2.5 inch SCSI, and I am looking for a way to convert them so I can read them off a standard SCSI cable. The adapter I need (http://cablesonline.stores.yahoo.net/25lapscsihar.html) is proving to be difficult to find online, and the couple places that do have them listed don't actually have them in stock as they have been discountinued. I have not yet been able to find a source for such an adapter. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? Or any ideas on how ...

ST3750640AS-RK Internal 3.5 Inch Hard Drive the last Seagate 750GB
Seagate company raised it's last 750GB SATA hard drive ST3750640AS-RK Internal 3.5 Inch Hard Drive which is the largest hard drive in capacity in desktop storage categories, and suitable for gamers and movies and music lover to storage what they want on it. To read more go to http://computerworld4y.blogspot.com ...

Where to buy a short ATA-100 cable for a 2.5 inch drive?
I want to buy a bunch of short (around 2 inches) ATA-100 cables (namely, 40-pin with 80 conductors) for a 2.5 inch drive for a project. (If the cable also had the power built-in, that would be fine.) Note that the 40-pin connector on a 2.5 inch drive is NOT the same as on the normal 3.5 inch drives, and is about 20% smaller. We've been told that they don't exist (and a web search seems to agree), but I find that hard to believe since it seems that laptop manufacturers must use something similar to this. Or do they not have a cable and the drive plugs directly into a header...

Trying to install 2.5 inch drive as slave in HP deskside to recover data
I am trying to install a 2.5 inch Toshiba 40G drive(HDD2171)from my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 505, XP, etc.) (HP4458, Win 98)in order to recover some data that was (foolishly) not included in the backups of the laptop. The little drive failed and wouldn't boot in the laptop, but I'm hoping that some data is still recoverable... I purchased a little 44 pin to 40 pin IDE hard drive adapter and managed to fish out the connector for the slave drive in the HP (the connector is an in-line connector on the cable that goes on up to the CD drive) and hook it up, but I don't know where to g...

Auction: 3.5 inch hard drive adapter IBM PS/2 65SX 65 SX
>http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-inch-hard-drive-adapter-IBM-PS-2-65SX-65-SX_W0QQitemZ290025245457QQihZ019QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Sep-08-06 09:59:10 PDT Hi! > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290025245457 A standard hard disk doesn't fit into this exactly. (I recently put a Seagate Barracuda ST12550N into a 65SX.) I was able to get the Seagate drive installed in a fairly secure way, but if your drive doesn't fit well enough to be secure, you might have to drill a set of screw holes. William wm_walsh@hotmail.com wro...

2.5" to 3.5" hard drive connection problem
I have some old laptop drives that I want to get some files off of. I purchased a 2.5 to 3.5 drive adapter from CompUSA. I am using an older PC that has a 40pin IDE cable coming off of the second IDE port. The drive can not be seen in bios, and it appears to not even spin up. The connector on the hard drive is what I call a knuckle connection. It appears to wrap around a male plug in the laptop. I removed that cable where it connects to the drive, then attach the connector to the male pins there. There are four pins left to the side, I believe I need to use them as a master slave selec...

Hard Drive Recovery #2
Recently, while using Partition Magic to resize a partition (a bad idea, I should have listened to people's advise), the command froze while it was moving my existing partition and I was forced to restart, permanently messing up existing data and leaving the partition magic program on there. Now, it is no longer recognized as an NTFS partition (much less a partition at all). Does any one have any suggestions for software that could rebuild the partition table? Or, if not, a good data recovery company that would be able to fix it? Thanks, Nathan P. I'm afraid you're stuck with r...

Hard drive data recovery ?
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop who's hard drive had died. Dell is shipping me a new hard drive but I would like to know if there is anyway I can still recover the old data with out going to an expensive service ? Symptoms: Hard Drive Clicks Windows XP wont Load Tried using dells tools on the harddrive and it gave me a read/write error after sector 000424. Any hope ? "Bogii" <NOSPAMbogii@mail.com> wrote in message news:EfaYa.54981$Vt6.20015@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net... > I have a Dell Inspiron laptop who's hard drive had died. It hasn't a...

hard drive data recovery
Hello, My 20 GB laptop hard drive has crashed. It has already been to the service folks at Univ of Chicago and I am told that I will need to send it to a data recovery service if I want the data. They suspect that the data disk will need to be placed in a new drive in order to read the data and that therefore clean room (dust free) conditions are needed. I was stunned at the est. $1500 cost of recovering the data. Can any of you suggest to this newbie where I might find the most competitively priced quality data recovery service? Thanks, Michael Hobaugh PS please cc your comments to my...

Creating a hard drive image
Hi, I have never seen this sort of hardware setup before (setup sun and ia servers before, worked with old hardware before, but never saw this setup). What this site has is a rack of boards, that sort of look like old mainframe multiplexer controller boards ... but htis one rack has a SPARC board that connects to a box above it, which holds an enclosed hard drive, about 20 gb. It reportedly (couldnt connect to it one day to run commands to see exactly what it has hardware and software wise) is running 5.7 SunOS under a WinXP OS. It reportedly has five 4gb partitions, one or more of which m...

SK 920 2 Piece 1/2-Inch Drive 3/4-Inch / 13/16-Inch and 7/8-Inch / 15/16-Inch Turbo Socket Wheel Removal Set
Price:$69.98 Image: http://thediscountguru.info/image.php?id=B0009WRKX4 Best deal: http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B0009WRKX4 I had to buy these turbo sockets because I lost the key to my McGard wheel locks (stupid is as stupid does). The turbo sockets easily removed the wheel locks. I am sure I will find other uses for the turbo sockets as they are well made and appear to be very durable. I like that you have four sizes in just two sockets. However, as the other poster noted, you do need an extension to your socket drive to use these sockets. I had to purchase this product bec...

Web resources about - data recovery 2.5 inch hard drive short circuit - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Vehicle recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vehicle recovery is the recovery of any vehicle to another place, generally speaking with a commercial vehicle known as a recovery vehicle , ...

Backpacker search now a recovery mission
A 30-year-old man who jumped off the William Jolly Bridge on Sunday night is presumed to have drowned. 7 News Queensland

Backpacker search now a recovery mission
A 30-year-old man who jumped off the William Jolly Bridge on Sunday night is presumed to have drowned. 7 News Queensland

WA fires: Burnt horses on road to recovery
'When it comes to horses, people just get really upset by it,' says Murray Veterinary Services veterinarian Ross Wallace.

Mining valuations sky high as investors hope for recovery
... by investors this year amid spiralling commodity prices, but their valuations remain sky high, suggesting investors are pricing in a recovery ...

Obama visits Detroit Auto Show to focus on industry recovery
Filed under: Government/Legal , 2016 Detroit Auto Show , United States President Obama will visit the North American International Auto Show ...

DriveSavers offers data recovery for victims of east coast blizzard
... were still losses. Some of those, especially what was involved in floods, could be bad. For a computer caught in this crossfire data recovery ...

Comment at the URPE-AEA Session: Causes of the Great Recession and the Prospects for Recovery
Notes for My Comment at the URPE-AEA Session: [Causes of the Great Recession and the Prospects for Recovery][a] * Presiding: Fred Moseley * David ...

Man feared frozen to death makes "miracle" recovery
A year after he was nearly declared dead, Pennsylvania man returns to thank the hospital staff that didn't give up

IDG Contributor Network: Ransomware: 7 tips for recovery and prevention
I had arrived home from visiting my family last Saturday around 10 p.m., and noticed a couple of email messages arriving from a CPA customer, ...