Drive A Not Drive A??

Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for
the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive
A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the
drive to slave/master/cable.

So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back.  Three for
"Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" -
master/slave/cable which are different.

What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean?  I don't know which jumper
settings diagram is right...
0
dterrors
2/11/2004 9:22:31 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <cbd4bb52.0402110122.1a415112@posting.google.com>,
dterrors@hotmail.com said...
> Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for
> the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive
> A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the
> drive to slave/master/cable.
>
> So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back.  Three for
> "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" -
> master/slave/cable which are different.
>
> What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean?  I don't know which jumper
> settings diagram is right...

Not sure as its a long time since I saw one of those drives, but you use
the "Drive A" jumpers if the BIOS of the PC you are installing on has
support for using Zip drives (almost all in the last few years do).  You
will then see the drive as A: ie replacing the floppy.

If you use the other jumpers the drive will simply be seen as a
removable HDD.

0
Clive
2/11/2004 10:34:38 AM
dterrors@hotmail.com (mrbog) wrote:

>Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for
>the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive
>A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the
>drive to slave/master/cable.
>
>So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back.  Three for
>"Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" -
>master/slave/cable which are different.
>
>What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean?  I don't know which jumper
>settings diagram is right...

There is a bit of (dated) information on that here:
http://pw2.netcom.com/~deepone/zipjaz/atapi2.html

I wouldn't recommend using Drive A mode.  Here is some more
information from an Iomega .pdf manual:

  When emulating a floppy drive, the Zip drive�s firmware uses two
  different formatting variations:

    The ATA IDENTITY PACKET DEVICE Command (A1h) reports �Floppy� at
    word offset 44

    The drive adds 32 to all LBAs specified in all commands, thus
    making the first 32 LBAs unaccessible and reducing disk capacity
    by 16KB.

  CAUTION If the drive is in drive A: mode and a disk is formatted
  using an old version of Iomega Tools, the newly formatted disk will
  be unreadable in other Zip drives. The old Iomega Tools, which does
  not recognize drive A: mode, and will lay down a second 32 LBA
  partition on the disk. All updated versions of Iomega Tools that
  supports drive A: mode (including IomegaWare software) are backward
  compatible and will support previous Iomega drives.

0
DeepOne