drive to drive

if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is
there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model?
0
webwalker
11/3/2010 2:38:20 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

webwalker@68z28.com wrote:
> if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is
> there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model?

No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher
probability of simultaneous failure.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----

Drive A Not Drive A??
Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the drive to slave/master/cable. So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back. Three for "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" - master/slave/cable which are different. What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean? I don't know which jumper settings diagram is right... In arti...

Losing Drives - Finding Drives
I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all current updates) Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s) A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death. (I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had gotten zapped. ) After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my 2 outboar...

Transfer data from Mac drive to PC drive
I have data that I need to transfer from a Mac formatted drive to a PC formatted drive. I have a MacBook Pro where I can use both the Mac and PC sides. My problem is that I can't transfer data from the Mac drive to the PC drive. On the Mac side, both drives are recognized but the PC drive is read only. On the PC side, only the PC formatted drive is recognized. Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem on both the Mac and PC sides without reformatting either drives since both have data on them already. If it helps, I have an unformatted 3rd drive that I could format in a differe...

Mac IDE drives vs PC IDE drives
Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives? I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac running OS 9.1. Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data. I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without problem. Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's? &qu...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Question on DVD drives -- how to determine if it can write a DVD as storage drive
My system can play DVD's wihtout problems. However, I'm completely at sea in trying to determine if the drive can write a DVD blank as a storage device. Drive will easily create a CD-ROM using the NERO software. Is there a quick-and-easy way of determining if the drive is DVD RW-capable? The front door of the drive does have the DVD symbol with R/RW below it. This looks like a good sign but I'd like to be sure before I cough up the cash for a spindle of DVD blanks. Alternate question: if I use a DVD blank in a drive that is capable of only writing CD-ROM's, i...

want to install old hard drive on newe pc as secondary drive
My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP installed as it's operating system. It also has a slot for a secondary IDE. I am currently using a pc with Win 98. And was wondering what the step by steps are on installing my old hard drive on the newer pc? Does the operating system have to be installed? Please be as specific as possible. Oh and he did reformat the drive for me, also. Thanx in advance, Deb magoo2u <dfoley2318@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:428f9aba$1_3@alt.athenanews.com... > My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP in...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk
Hi, Few very simple questions. Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or not in Windows? Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the system? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. With regards, -Shailesh shailesh wrote: > Hi, > > Few very simple questions. > > Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or > not in Windows? > > Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the > system? http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html#find-drive-t...

Creating a hard drive image
Hi, I have never seen this sort of hardware setup before (setup sun and ia servers before, worked with old hardware before, but never saw this setup). What this site has is a rack of boards, that sort of look like old mainframe multiplexer controller boards ... but htis one rack has a SPARC board that connects to a box above it, which holds an enclosed hard drive, about 20 gb. It reportedly (couldnt connect to it one day to run commands to see exactly what it has hardware and software wise) is running 5.7 SunOS under a WinXP OS. It reportedly has five 4gb partitions, one or more of which m...

Backup OS-9 hard drives on PC hardware.
When I was trying to back up my SyQuest EZ135 SCSI hard drive on a PC, I ran in to an interesting problem. I had the PC (parallel) version of the EZ135, and a SCSI version (hooked to my OS-9 machine). When I inserted a non-DOS formatted platter, the PC would not recognize it. The BIOS (or something) wanted the first sector to be PC-ish. So, my solution was to write a quick program in C to back up the first 512 bytes (sector) of the OS-9 disk, and copy the 512-byte sector from a PC disk to the OS-9 disk. This created an OS-9 disk (unusuable) that would be recognized by the PC. From...

Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
I have a couple of old Classic MPE V/E boxes which I fire up periodically. Everything runs at present, but the hard drive bearings are starting to sing and warn me of their impending failure. If you remember, the old Classic boxes use HPIB (GPIB, IEEE-488) as the interface for hard drives. As HPIB hard drives are getting pretty rare, I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in putting a GPIB-to-PCI interface card in a Windows PC, writing code for the PC to make its GPIB interface look to the Classic 3000 like a 7937, and then successfully running the Classic 3000 wi...

Do DAT drives have a drive letter?
Hi, I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him backup 2 directories on his server. He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT drive installed, but no backup software. The total amount of data is about 3 GB. 1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal? 2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories? Thanks for your help! -Eric in FL Most people supporting Windows Server know it has built-in backup. Devices don't get a drive letter if they are sequential access. &quo...

Hard drives operating while driving
I was wondering how hard the bumps and such while driving are on an operating laptop computer. My main concern is possibly damaging the hard drive. I would like to attach my GPS with it's itty bitty little screen to the computer and use the computer's big screen but I worry about the hard drive. Anyhow I would appreciate it if someone has personal experience with a computer operating in a car and the hard drive failing I would like to hear about it. Thank you, Jim > Anyhow I would appreciate it if someone has personal experience with a > computer operating in a car and the ...

Web resources about - drive to drive - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Fighting in Iowa, Hillary Clinton fears repeat of 2008 loss
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) — When Bernie Sanders rolled into Decorah, nearly 2,300 people were waiting for him. Chants of "Feel the Bern" filled ...

Stacey Dash Wants An Apology From The Public For Trashing Her Opinions On Race
Is Stacey Dash really clueless? Clueless seems like an understatement. Dash has once again become relevant in the news and on social media after ...

Arrests in Oregon Standoff
The FBI has arrested the leaders of an armed group that has occupied a national wildlife refuge in Oregon for more than three weeks

Full Episode: WN 01/26/16: Zika Virus Concerns Grow
Ford Motors recalls nearly 400,000 trucks; actor Abe Vigoda dies.

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Isn’t The Record Breaker You Think It Is
Star Wars: The Force Awakens appears to have taken the world by storm. Its meteoric rise to the all-time domestic gross record, dwarfing films ...

Lyft settles $12.25 million California driver lawsuit over employment status
SAN FRANCISCO (by Dan Levine and Heather Somerville, Reuters) – Ride-hailing service Lyft has agreed to settle a proposed class action lawsuit ...

Abe Vigoda: 13 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘Godfather,’ ‘Barney Miller’ Actor
Before there was Tessio, before there was Fish, Abe Vigoda made his name on the stage. In the 1950s and ‘60s, the actor who died Tuesday at 94 ...

San Francisco Supervisors Demand New Super Bowl Deal
Super Bowl 50 is just a few weeks away and that’s a big deal for the NFL, but the celebration may wind up costing San Francisco taxpayers $5 ...

Microsoft's new iOS app serves up news stories based on your job
Microsoft just quietly launched yet another experimental iOS app. The company released News Pro, a new iOS app that uses Bing News to deliver ...

Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting
CNN Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting New York Times SEATTLE — Two people were killed and three others wounded as ...