External IBM PC 5.25" Drive

Hi,

Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I
have.  I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
created in the 1980s.  However, it has a 37-pin male connector.  A
37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.  Is it possible to
buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male
connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the
parallel port?  Or would this create all sorts of problems?  If it
helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the
first version of Windows 98.

0
bond007clone
12/22/2005 6:10:39 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

bond007clone@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I
> have.  I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
> created in the 1980s.  However, it has a 37-pin male connector.  A
> 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.  Is it possible to
> buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male
> connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the
> parallel port?  Or would this create all sorts of problems?  If it
> helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the
> first version of Windows 98.

I think it would be easier to hook a drive up directly to the floppy
controller in your PC.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
12/22/2005 6:18:54 PM
<bond007clone@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135275039.685353.37460@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I
> have.  I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
> created in the 1980s.

> However, it has a 37-pin male connector.

So likely it only needs a DB37-F bulkhead connected floppy cable.

> A 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.

I have a similar case that came with a DB25-M connector and con-
nected with 36-pin centronics inside to an additional circuit board.
Presumably this was the LPT version.

> Is it possible to
> buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male
> connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the
> parallel port?

So likely not.

> Or would this create all sorts of problems?

That depends on how that type originally was to be used.
If is was parallel port then the 37-pin is odd.

> If it helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the
> first version of Windows 98.
0
Folkert
12/22/2005 7:16:34 PM
Yes, but the problem with that is that the other connector (not the
power supply connector) requires a different cable than the one that
hooks up the 3.5" drive.  Typically, I think this cable has two
connections - for different drives.  Doesn't it need a different
controller for this kind of adapter?

http://www.geocities.com/bond007clone/floppy_2.JPG

0
bond007clone
12/22/2005 7:48:04 PM
bond007clone@gmail.com wrote:

> Yes, but the problem with that is that the other connector (not the
> power supply connector) requires a different cable than the one that
> hooks up the 3.5" drive.  Typically, I think this cable has two
> connections - for different drives.  Doesn't it need a different
> controller for this kind of adapter?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/bond007clone/floppy_2.JPG

Cables are readily available.  Almost anybody who has been dealing
with computers for a while has a junk box full of them.  See your
local computer geek.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
12/22/2005 7:58:38 PM
> Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I
> have.  I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
> created in the 1980s.  However, it has a 37-pin male connector.  A
> 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.  Is it possible to
> buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male
> connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the
> parallel port?  Or would this create all sorts of problems?  If it
> helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the
> first version of Windows 98.

Find an older computer which still has 5.25" floppy drive. Transfer files
over the LAN.

0
Peter
12/22/2005 8:39:15 PM
Thanks!  Will check it out.  One last question.  Can a 1.2MB 5.25"
drive read 360K 5.25" disks without problems or is a 360K 5.25" drive
required?

0
bond007clone
12/22/2005 8:49:27 PM
bond007clone@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks!  Will check it out.  One last question.  Can a 1.2MB 5.25"
> drive read 360K 5.25" disks without problems or is a 360K 5.25" drive
> required?

It should work.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
12/22/2005 9:02:05 PM
bond007clone@gmail.com wrote

> Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I have.

Nothing like living life in the fast lane...

> I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
> created in the 1980s.  However, it has a 37-pin male connector.
> A 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.

It wasnt found on the original PCs either.

That was used on some of the earliest laptops.

> Is it possible to buy something such as an adapter that one
> can connect the 37-pin male connector to a parallel port
> adapter and then hook the device into the parallel port?

Maybe.

> Or would this create all sorts of problems?

It is technically possible, that's basically what those laptops did.

> If it helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but
> also have access to the first version of Windows 98.

Best to have it internal instead.

0
Rod
12/22/2005 9:56:43 PM
bond007clone@gmail.com wrote

> One last question.

We'll see...

> Can a 1.2MB 5.25" drive read 360K 5.25" disks without problems

That gets complicated. It should read ok, just
make sure you never write to the floppy, that
causes problems because it writes a narrow track
down the middle of the old wide track and then you
wont be able to read the floppy properly in a 360K drive.

> or is a 360K 5.25" drive required?

Nope.

0
Rod
12/22/2005 9:59:07 PM
Previously bond007clone@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,

> Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I
> have.  I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
> created in the 1980s.  However, it has a 37-pin male connector.  A
> 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs.  Is it possible to
> buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male
> connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the
> parallel port?  Or would this create all sorts of problems?  If it
> helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the
> first version of Windows 98.

You need to connect the drive inside that external case directly to
the floppy cable in the PC, since that ecternal case likely had some
special pin-out and may even require a special adapter.  5 1/2"
floppies should still work on modern mainboard-integrated floppy
controllers. The bus-protocol has not changed.

Arno
0
Arno

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

A2 5.25" drive on a PC?
We all know that a PC cannot read/write an A2 disk because of basic MFM/GCR differences. What about the possibility of putting together a specialized cable that would adapt a standard A2 5.25" drive to a PC's serial port? The cable would also have to pull power from somewhere - possibly from a molex connector hooked into the PC's power supply? And then we'd need some specialized PC software to actually do the reading/writing. Does this seem at all feasible? Any thoughts? Tim Haynes wrote: > We all know that a PC cannot read/write an A2 disk because of basic >...

5.25" Drive in PC with Omniflop
Hi all, After reading about Omniflop, and it's ability to read and write various formats to/from a floppy disc in a PC, I begun to think...I have a Cumana 5.25" drive (40/80 switchable), and I was wondering if this would work as an internal drive in my PC (after being removed from the case, of course), and then be able to be used to read and write BBC floppies. Next question, which I know is probably beyond the scope of this group, would this same setup also work for reading and writing Commodore 64 floppies? (It would actually suit better to be able to read and wri...

Diasy Chaining Apple 5.25" Drive and Unidisk 5.25" Drive
Is it ok to daisy chain a Apple 5.25" Drive and a Unidisk 5.25" Drive? Also, other than the color, is there a difference between the two? Tempest wrote: > Is it ok to daisy chain a Apple 5.25" Drive and a Unidisk 5.25" Drive? > Also, other than the color, is there a difference between the two? No functional difference that I know of. -michael Music synthesis for 8-bit Apple II's! Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/ "The wastebasket is our most important design tool--and it is seriously underused." Tempest wrote: > Is it ok to daisy chai...

How to connect a 5.25" drive to a PC and transfer discs!
Hi There I think this question has been asked before!!! But i hope someone can help me. A friend of mine and I have dug out our collection of old 5.25" discs from the CPC era! Together we have about 600-700 'old' 5.25" discs. They seem to be in perfect condition, stored in a dry cool place for about ehhh... 10 years or more! It is not an option to get the images directly from a real CPC, because we are far away from a real CPC! But we have a 5.25" drive and now the question: Is there a way to connect the 5.25" to a PC (Windows XP or Linux) and dump...

Help with old hardware: Apple PC 5.25 Drive
I got Apple PC 5.25 with card awhile back. I plugged them in and the OS didn't see it. Do I need some kind of software to see to if they work? If so, what do I need.. Going though Apple's old download section turns up nothing. I am thinking about selling these items, but I want to make sure it works. Thanks for any help. -Lockar In article <191220030623282255%lockar@nospam.com>, Lockar <lockar@nospam.com> wrote: > I got Apple PC 5.25 with card awhile back. I plugged them in and > the OS didn't see it. Do I need some kind of software...

Making Apple II or C64 floppies with PC 5.25" drive?
I recently obtained some old 5 1/4-inch floppy drives for PCs. If I install one in my PC, is there some Windows utility which will let me use it to write data onto it in a way that'll be readable by Apple II or Commodore 64 (or 128) computers? More specifically, given this drive and a blank floppy and a disk image file of an old 8-bit game, will I be able to write the image onto the floppy such that it'll boot the old computer it was made for? Brian Kendig wrote: > I recently obtained some old 5 1/4-inch floppy drives for PCs. If I > install one in my PC, is there some Windows ...

IBM 4869-002 External 5.25" Diskette Drive auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776248696 Jan-02-04 17:37:41 PST Middleburg Hts, OH -- Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP ...

Apple 5.25" drive vs Unidisk 5.25"
What are the differences between these drives apart from the Unidisk requiring 12v ? rob wrote: > What are the differences between these drives apart from the Unidisk > requiring 12v ? There isn't any difference, except daisy-chain cabling and the case. Both require +12v., +5v, and -12v. -michael Parallel computing for 8-bit Apple II's! Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/ "The wastebasket is our most important design tool--and it is seriously underused." Michael J. Mahon wrote: > rob wrote: > > What are the differences between these drives apa...

why the default startup code use "LDR PC, [PC, #-0x0120]" instead of "LDR PC, IRQ_Addr",
When I new a project in Keil, It give me a LPC2400.s which contain the following code: Vectors LDR PC, Reset_Addr LDR PC, Undef_Addr LDR PC, SWI_Addr LDR PC, PAbt_Addr LDR PC, DAbt_Addr NOP ; Reserved Vector ; LDR PC, IRQ_Addr LDR PC, [PC, #-0x0120] ; Vector from VicVectAddr LDR PC, FIQ_Addr why the default startup code use "LDR PC, [PC, #-0x0120]" instead of ...

Auction: Vintage IBM 4869 5.25" External Floppy Disk Drive (360K!!!)
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-4869-5-25-External-Floppy-Disk-Drive_W0QQitemZ8737194463QQcategoryZ44958QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Dec-18-05 18:13:05 PST IBM 4869 5.25" External Floppy Disk Drive, capacity 1.2 MB; will also read/write 360 KB floppies. Note the star below the LED. Vintage IBM 4869 5.25\" External Floppy Disk Drive http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8737194463 End time: Sunday, December 18, 2005, at 6:13:05 PM Pacific Standard Time {That's the spurious backslash I get with embedded quotes in the description] ...

Warning! Catweasel-modded PC-5.25"-drive may destroy your 1541 disks!
If you own a Catweasel controller for your Amiga or PC, I have to warn you that the drive modification recommended on Jens Schoenfelds' homepage necessary for reading 1541 disks are dangerous for your datas' health! The homepage says, you have to modify the drive so it can read the second disk side for c64 disks. Well, that's true, but the modification itself is dangerous for your data - you are advised to glue a magnet and a reed contact to the drive motor / and nearby the drive motor. Sounds all fine, seems to be too "inside" (Track 40, eh?) to do any damage to the d...

OT: IBM PC-DOS 2000 "seeing" a drive larger than 8GB
Hi. I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60 with a cached SCSI card and a 1GB SCSI HD. It has IBM PC-DOS 2000 on it and runs fine. I have read that DOS can not properly detect a hard drive larger than 8GB. If I were to install a 9G hard drive, would it: A: Not "see" it at all? or B: "See" it as an 8GB drive? I have used larger than BIOS-detectable drives in clone systems and they were detected as the maximum the BIOS could detect (10G shown as 8.4GB, for example). Will DOS "see" it this way? My cached SCSI card does have whatever newer BIOS is needed...

Model 25 (ISA) external 5.25" floppy drive help wanted.
Hi folks, I have recently acquired a brand new in box Model 25 (8225-L01 -- 8086) with a single internal 720kb floppy, and a used Model 25-286 (8525-L30) with a single internal 1.44mb floppy. I'm trying to figure out how to get an external 5.25" drive going with one of these two machines. It's unfortunate that you can't just disable the internal FDCs and use something else. I have a single 4869-001 360kb drive with long cable. No adapters or other gizmos. Ideally, I'd *like* to be able to boot from the 5.25" drive for CP/M use. I've read...

Web resources about - External IBM PC 5.25" Drive - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...