Files copied to external hard drive are corrupted

I recently bought a Maxtor external hard drive for use to transfer
files from an older, space-challenged computer.  I had no need for the
backup software, so I just plugged it in (USB 2.0) and Windows XP
recognized it as an empty NTFS drive.  So I did a drag and drop of
around 75GB of files onto the new drive.  The files are almost all RAR
archives ranging from 5MB to 50MB (the vast majority are around 10MB).
So we're talking about a few thousand files.  The copying was fast and
went smoothly.  Out of the 1000 or so of the copied archives I've
tested so far on the new drive about 9 or 10 of the archives were
corrupted.  I checked the originals and they were fine, and when I
individually re-copied those archives on the new drive they ended up
fine... but it seems that invariably about 1 out of every 100 of the
archives copied during the "mass copying" is turning up bad.  Is this
just a consequence of doing such a massive amount of copying at once,
especially over USB instead of a more proven interface like IDE?  Or
could there be something more at work here, such as a bad external
drive or Windows screwing up?  I've only had the drive for a few days
but all seems well with it; it's very quiet and runs cool.

peace Kazuya

0
DJ
6/28/2006 4:20:00 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2006-06-28 18:20, DJ Kazuya wrote:
> I recently bought a Maxtor external hard drive for use to transfer
> files from an older, space-challenged computer.  I had no need for the
> backup software, so I just plugged it in (USB 2.0) and Windows XP
> recognized it as an empty NTFS drive.  So I did a drag and drop of
> around 75GB of files onto the new drive.  The files are almost all RAR
> archives ranging from 5MB to 50MB (the vast majority are around 10MB).
> So we're talking about a few thousand files.  The copying was fast and
> went smoothly.  Out of the 1000 or so of the copied archives I've
> tested so far on the new drive about 9 or 10 of the archives were
> corrupted.  I checked the originals and they were fine, and when I
> individually re-copied those archives on the new drive they ended up
> fine... but it seems that invariably about 1 out of every 100 of the
> archives copied during the "mass copying" is turning up bad.  Is this
> just a consequence of doing such a massive amount of copying at once,
> especially over USB instead of a more proven interface like IDE?  Or
> could there be something more at work here, such as a bad external
> drive or Windows screwing up?  I've only had the drive for a few days
> but all seems well with it; it's very quiet and runs cool.
>
> peace Kazuya

If you put the drive on an internal position, is copying ok then?
(Always good to see if the basic parts work.)

I've heard of something similar, related to a specific combination of an
Asus mobo with an nvidia chipset, and a misconfigured bios, where a
setting called 'clock spread spectrum' was enabled by default.

Disabling this setting (required a bios update) fixed the problem in
this specific case.

/Rolf
0
Rolf
6/28/2006 5:09:22 PM
Previously DJ Kazuya <djkazuya@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I recently bought a Maxtor external hard drive for use to transfer
> files from an older, space-challenged computer.  I had no need for the
> backup software, so I just plugged it in (USB 2.0) and Windows XP
> recognized it as an empty NTFS drive.  So I did a drag and drop of
> around 75GB of files onto the new drive.  The files are almost all RAR
> archives ranging from 5MB to 50MB (the vast majority are around 10MB).
> So we're talking about a few thousand files.  The copying was fast and
> went smoothly.  Out of the 1000 or so of the copied archives I've
> tested so far on the new drive about 9 or 10 of the archives were
> corrupted.  I checked the originals and they were fine, and when I
> individually re-copied those archives on the new drive they ended up
> fine... but it seems that invariably about 1 out of every 100 of the
> archives copied during the "mass copying" is turning up bad.  Is this
> just a consequence of doing such a massive amount of copying at once,
> especially over USB instead of a more proven interface like IDE?  Or

Not really.

> could there be something more at work here, such as a bad external
> drive or Windows screwing up?  I've only had the drive for a few days
> but all seems well with it; it's very quiet and runs cool.

I would suspect that this is actually a problem with defective
hardware in your PC. A very good candidate is defective RAM.
On bulk copies a larger portion of the main meory is used for
buffering. It may be that the defective bit(s) are only used
then.

Advice: Run memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ for some
time. Usually a few hours are enough for reliable diagnosis,
although I had one Infinion RAM that exhibited one error in
about 30 hours of testing. Still cirrupted data.

Arno

0
Arno
6/28/2006 5:13:51 PM
DJ Kazuya <djkazuya@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I recently bought a Maxtor external hard drive for use to transfer
> files from an older, space-challenged computer.  I had no need for the
> backup software, so I just plugged it in (USB 2.0) and Windows XP
> recognized it as an empty NTFS drive.  So I did a drag and drop of
> around 75GB of files onto the new drive.  The files are almost all RAR
> archives ranging from 5MB to 50MB (the vast majority are around 10MB).
> So we're talking about a few thousand files.  The copying was fast and
> went smoothly.  Out of the 1000 or so of the copied archives I've
> tested so far on the new drive about 9 or 10 of the archives were
> corrupted.  I checked the originals and they were fine, and when I
> individually re-copied those archives on the new drive they ended up
> fine... but it seems that invariably about 1 out of every 100 of the
> archives copied during the "mass copying" is turning up bad.  Is this
> just a consequence of doing such a massive amount of copying at once,
> especially over USB instead of a more proven interface like IDE?

Nope, you shouldnt be getting that result.

> Or could there be something more at work here,

Yes.

> such as a bad external drive

Very likely.

> or Windows screwing up?

Unlikely since you dont see many getting that result.

Its more likely to be a hardware problem with the PC.

> I've only had the drive for a few days but all seems well with it;

Except that 10% of the files copied to it are corrupted.

0
Rod
6/28/2006 6:55:37 PM
Arno Wagner wrote:

> I would suspect that this is actually a problem with defective
> hardware in your PC. A very good candidate is defective RAM.
> On bulk copies a larger portion of the main meory is used for
> buffering. It may be that the defective bit(s) are only used
> then.
>
> Advice: Run memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ for some
> time. Usually a few hours are enough for reliable diagnosis,
> although I had one Infinion RAM that exhibited one error in
> about 30 hours of testing. Still cirrupted data.
>
> Arno

Hot damn, you should be a fortune teller.  I got home and ran the
memory test, pretty much from the word go the thing was telling me that
I had errors galore.  Played switcheroo with the DIMMs for a bit in
order to isolate the faulty one... replaced it and ran the tests for a
couple of hours with no errors.

Then copied the exact same files as I did before to the external hard
drive (had formatted it eariler).  Did a test of the first 1000 or so
files as I did before and this time... not a single corrupt file!
Thank you very much Arno!  You're the man... thanks also to Rod and
Rolf for their input.

peace Kazuya

0
DJ
6/29/2006 7:34:25 PM
Previously DJ Kazuya <djkazuya@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Arno Wagner wrote:
>>
>> I would suspect that this is actually a problem with defective
>> hardware in your PC. A very good candidate is defective RAM.
>> On bulk copies a larger portion of the main meory is used for
>> buffering. It may be that the defective bit(s) are only used
>> then.
>>
>> Advice: Run memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ for some
>> time. Usually a few hours are enough for reliable diagnosis,
>> although I had one Infinion RAM that exhibited one error in
>> about 30 hours of testing. Still cirrupted data.
>>
>> Arno

> Hot damn, you should be a fortune teller.  I got home and ran the
> memory test, pretty much from the word go the thing was telling me that
> I had errors galore.  Played switcheroo with the DIMMs for a bit in
> order to isolate the faulty one... replaced it and ran the tests for a
> couple of hours with no errors.

> Then copied the exact same files as I did before to the external hard
> drive (had formatted it eariler).  Did a test of the first 1000 or so
> files as I did before and this time... not a single corrupt file!
> Thank you very much Arno!

You a very welcome.

> You're the man...

Well, let me just say I  had this problem several times before (I work
with huge amounts of data on self-built hardware) and reconized it.

Arno

> thanks also to Rod and Rolf for their input.

> peace Kazuya

0
Arno

Solaris10 Update 10: Unable to copy large file from external hard drive to system disk drive
All, I am unable to copy a large file from my seagate external hard drive(NTFS) to user directory on my Solaris10U10 system. However, I am able to copy a small file say 2GB without a hitch. Please let me know how do I overcome the limitation (if any of OS or NTFS) of copying large size file on this system? The file I am trying to copy is of 14 GB and I can't split the file as this is a virtual box based ova image file. Thanks in advance for all your help. On 10/ 6/12 09:02 PM, pariti wrote: > All, > > I am unable to copy a large file from my seagate external hard &g...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other ...

External hard drive
I've got a 320 GB external hard drive that I've had for about a year, but the other day when I tried to access it I got the following error message: E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable Anyone know the cause of this or a way to fix it? Is the hard drive shot? Any chance of getting my data back? Thanks, Robert Robert Colgan wrote: > I've got a 320 GB external hard drive that I've had for about a year, > but the other day when I tried to access it I got the following error > message: > > E:\ is not accessible. > The file o...

Copying files to new hard drive. win386.swp file.
Hi: I ordered a new 120gb hd and googled info about copying files and programs from the old hd to the new hd in WIN98SE. I understand everything except the part about that the win386.swp file has to be removed and that is done by diabling virtual memory and rebooting. I can do the procedure, easily done, but I am wondering why the win386.swp file has to be removed before copying files from one drive to another? Thx Doe John wrote: > Hi: > > I ordered a new 120gb hd and googled info about copying files and > programs from the old hd to the new hd in WIN98SE. I un...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Copy files to External Hard
Dear All, I want to put copy of my files on external hard (by usb) how i can do that? Thanks On Feb 7, 11:14=A0am, Mass <mass...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > I want to put copy of my files on external hard (by usb) how i can do > that? > > Thanks Mount the hard drive using the mount command and then cp /myfiles/* /mnt ...

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files
I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue. Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Is there a problem...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Copying Files from CD to Hard Drive.
Hello, I have some old CD's that have digital camera images on them. Some of the files have gone bad and I get an error when trying to copy them to the hard drive. Other files however are still good. My question is how do I copy the good files from the CD to the hard drive? In Windows Explorer when it hits a bad file it simply errors out and stops copying and the amount of time it takes for Windows Explorer to realize that the file bad is minutes long. I also tried XCOPY at the Windows XP command prompt telling it ignore errors and keep on copying however, there is sti...

File system for external hard drive?
Recently I've faced the need to store in an external HD files which are over 4GB. As I've been using vfat for the external HD's file system, this turned into a problem. I could simply reformat the external HD with ext2 or ext3 but as I need to access files in windows that also tends to be a problem. So, under this scenario, what file system is appropriate to use on an external HD? Thanks in advance, Rui Maciel At Sat, 14 May 2011 20:18:30 +0100 Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@gmail.com> wrote: > > Recently I've faced the need to store in an external HD files whi...

Can I copy files (mp3) to flash drive WITHOUT copying invisible files?
I have a new car radio that includes a USB port. Plug in a flash drive (formated with FAT 16/32) with MP3 files, and the car radio can find and play the mp3 files. Cool...BUT...the radio chokes on the invisible files that the Mac creates. Is there a way to copy files on a Mac (latest 10.5.6 OS) to a FAT-formatted PC USB Flash Drive WITHOUT copying all those invisible files (the ones that start with a period)? In article <300320091619086224%jo@asdfpoiuwm.com>, Jo <jo@asdfpoiuwm.com> wrote: > I have a new car radio that includes a USB port. Plug in a flash drive > (formated ...

Web resources about - Files copied to external hard drive are corrupted - comp.pc.hardware.storage

The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapter I Hadleyburg enjoys the reputation of being an “incorruptible” town known for its responsible, honest people that are trained to avoid ...

Corrupted Call - The Demonic Furby - YouTube
So a man named Milton, buys his obsese son a Furby doll. However what he soon finds out is that the Furby is a demon, who uses vulgar language ...

Dangerous liaisons: How George Alex and his gang corrupted the building industry
George Alex's ambition to control building construction in Australia was enabled by the backing of ruthless criminals, big building companies ...

Leaders of national political advisory body discuss expelling corrupted official
Leaders of national political advisory body discuss expelling corrupted official People's Daily Online 19 Chairman and vice chairpersons of ...

Apple is pushing out corrupted apps, remains silent on the matter
As highlighted by Instapaper developer Marco Arment, Apple appears to be pushing out corrupted updates that cause a number of apps to crash immediately ...

Now That Scalia Has Corrupted Kagan, What Progressive Pastime Should Kagan Make Scalia Do?
Scalia now has Kagan hunting defenseless animals. Great. His victory is nearly complete… Continue reading » Follow Above the Law on Twitter ...

Google introduces safety warnings for corrupted and modified Android software
... will be checked every single time the device boots, giving you a specific warning if the phone has been somehow tinkered with, or is corrupted. ...

Apple tells developers fix is coming for corrupted App Store
Developers were notified by Apple on Thursday that a fix is in the works for the corrupted iOS and Mac App Stores, some three days after a possible ...