Jump Drive/external drive

novice question,

My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I
can buy a jump drive?

0
tina
9/23/2006 8:00:13 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote

> novice question,

> My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would
> I buy another when I can buy a jump drive?

The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB
drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB.

No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something,
but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system,
its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive.

0
Rod

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Drive A Not Drive A??
Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the drive to slave/master/cable. So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back. Three for "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" - master/slave/cable which are different. What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean? I don't know which jumper settings diagram is right... In arti...

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

question on external drives/drive enclosures
I'm think of getting a USB or firewire drive, or converting an existing drive to an external one by getting an external enclosure. I have two questions: 1 - Does external drive support multiple partitions? 2 - Are the disk partitions/formats interchangeable between external and internal? I.e. if the external enclosure is fried but the disk is intact can I connect it to an internal IDE channel and be able to see my files? Thanks! Clamshell <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:401d08a8$0$2682$61fed72c@news.rcn.com... > I'm think of getting a USB ...

Maxtor external drive: drive not recognized
FYI If you would like to replace the drive inside an external Maxtor enclosure (e.g. 5000LE etc), be careful in aligning the internal EIDE connector. It's easy to be 1 pin off and then the drive will not be recognized by your computer. I replaced succesfully a 80Gb drive with another 120Gb Maxtor drive. Opening the case voids warranty. Regards, DD. ...

External drives as compared to Internal drives
I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am awaiting delivery. The one drawback on this system that may affect me is the Fujitsu/Toshiba Hard Disk with minimum Ultra ATA/100 interface, 4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2 connection would this perform better? "Paul" <paulc@bms-software.com> wrote in message news:1108661164.188174.238170@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am > awaiting d...

Can Super Duper back up data on external drive to another external drive?
I'm running low on free space on my Imac, so I'm thinking of transferring some of my project files onto an external La Cie drive. Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other external La Cie back-up drives? I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I upgrade to Yosemite. I was told by a Mac salesman that I can daisy chain with Yosemite, and that my proposed setup would therefore work. Tom Evans Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote: ...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB...

Losing Drives - Finding Drives
I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all current updates) Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s) A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death. (I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had gotten zapped. ) After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my 2 outboar...

Duplicating internal hard drive to external drive
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to purchase a higher capacity hard drive and have it replace my existing one. I would like to make a bootable copy of my existing one by using my external USB drive enclosure. My plan is to place the new drive in this enclosure and use Powerquest Drive Image 7 to copy my existing drive to the new one, then removing the existing with the new one Will this work? I know Drive Image will let me dup from internal to internal (primary to slave),but it's not clear whether I can use its copy disk option to go to an external drive...

Which jump drive for G4 (mirrored drive door)
Hi, I have been interested in purchasing a jump drive so I can swap files back and forth between the various freelance gigs I have and home. I was interested in the Kingston 1GB U3 DataTraveler USB 2.0 Smart Drive. Problem is I believe I only have USB 1.1 on my machine. I have had trouble hooking up my ipod with the USB as it tells me there is not enough power to drive the device (I had to resort to buying a firewire cable for it). Do I need to get a USB 1.0 jump drive and if I do (if I can even find one) will it work on a Mac which uses USB 2.0? Thanks, Mark marklevinson1@yahoo.com wrote...

Transfer data from Mac drive to PC drive
I have data that I need to transfer from a Mac formatted drive to a PC formatted drive. I have a MacBook Pro where I can use both the Mac and PC sides. My problem is that I can't transfer data from the Mac drive to the PC drive. On the Mac side, both drives are recognized but the PC drive is read only. On the PC side, only the PC formatted drive is recognized. Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem on both the Mac and PC sides without reformatting either drives since both have data on them already. If it helps, I have an unformatted 3rd drive that I could format in a differe...

Problem Copying iMac Drive to External Drive
I just bought a new Fantom Firewire 160 GB external drive. I want to copy my iMac's entire drive onto this, but I get error 128 (or is it minus 128?). What do I need to do? Thanks very much. In article <fdf9d657.0405301918.8c33475@posting.google.com>, ksternberg1@yahoo.com (Ken Sternberg) wrote: > I just bought a new Fantom Firewire 160 GB external drive. I want to > copy my iMac's entire drive onto this, but I get error 128 (or is it > minus 128?). What do I need to do? > > Thanks very much. Could be a permissions issue. Had you thought of usin...

Web resources about - Jump Drive/external drive - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...