Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives

I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all
current updates)

Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s)

A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the
store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it
stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he
sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death.
(I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had
gotten zapped. )

After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my
2 outboard drives - E: and F:. Not knowing at the time about the MY
COMPUTER | MANAGE bit, I mistakenly went into the F2 comp setup and
changed something in there which referred to drives being on or off. I
now have each drive showing "on."

After I found out about the MY COMPUTER | DISK MANAGEMENT method of
rescanning the drives, I did get my outboard E: and F: drives back.
However, when I turned my comp on today, I find the F: drive is missing
again, and it is not showing up as it previously had yesterday in DISK
MANAGEMENT. (Heck, even my virtual BestCrypt drives show up if I mount
them. They are on the E: drive.)

The drives shown in the F2 setup are:

Diskette Drive A:
SATA 0 (C: drive)
SATA 1 (Unknown)
SATA 2 (Unknown)
SATA 3 (Unknown)
PATA 0 (CD ROM)

When I boot the comp, it does not boot into Windows. It goes to a black
and white screen showing the following:

Drive 1 Not found
Drive 2 Not found
Drive 3 Not found
Drive 5 Not found

Use F1 to Continue or F2 to enter Setup

(I have no idea what happened to Drive 4.)

To say again:
I have one internal HD, which is my C: drive
I have two outboard hard drives, which are my E: & F: drives
I have a single CD drive
I have a single floppy A: drive

The F: drive, which is the one I am not seeing today, is good. It is a
Seagate which I hooked up (USB) to my wife's comp and it showed all my
files.

It also takes my comp almost a minute to reboot. During that time I see
only a blank screen.

I hope someone can solve this, because the comp repair guys in my area
are not too swift. I learned that the hard way - and the expensive way.
0
mel
9/22/2007 2:48:04 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Previously mel@no.spam.com wrote:
> I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all
> current updates)

> Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s)

> A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the
> store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it
> stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he
> sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death.
> (I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had
> gotten zapped. )

That is pretty rare today anyways.

> After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my
> 2 outboard drives - E: and F:. Not knowing at the time about the MY
> COMPUTER | MANAGE bit, I mistakenly went into the F2 comp setup and
> changed something in there which referred to drives being on or off. I
> now have each drive showing "on."

> After I found out about the MY COMPUTER | DISK MANAGEMENT method of
> rescanning the drives, I did get my outboard E: and F: drives back.
> However, when I turned my comp on today, I find the F: drive is missing
> again, and it is not showing up as it previously had yesterday in DISK
> MANAGEMENT. (Heck, even my virtual BestCrypt drives show up if I mount
> them. They are on the E: drive.)

> The drives shown in the F2 setup are:

> Diskette Drive A:
> SATA 0 (C: drive)
> SATA 1 (Unknown)
> SATA 2 (Unknown)
> SATA 3 (Unknown)
> PATA 0 (CD ROM)

> When I boot the comp, it does not boot into Windows. It goes to a black
> and white screen showing the following:

> Drive 1 Not found
> Drive 2 Not found
> Drive 3 Not found
> Drive 5 Not found

> Use F1 to Continue or F2 to enter Setup

> (I have no idea what happened to Drive 4.)

> To say again:
> I have one internal HD, which is my C: drive
> I have two outboard hard drives, which are my E: & F: drives
> I have a single CD drive
> I have a single floppy A: drive

> The F: drive, which is the one I am not seeing today, is good. It is a
> Seagate which I hooked up (USB) to my wife's comp and it showed all my
> files.

> It also takes my comp almost a minute to reboot. During that time I see
> only a blank screen.

> I hope someone can solve this, because the comp repair guys in my area
> are not too swift. I learned that the hard way - and the expensive way.

Chack that all the cable connectors are sitting properly in drives and
other side. You may have disloged one of them to the degree that the
connection is unreliable.

Arno

0
Arno

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

Drive A Not Drive A??
Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the drive to slave/master/cable. So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back. Three for "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" - master/slave/cable which are different. What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean? I don't know which jumper settings diagram is right... In arti...

Transfer data from Mac drive to PC drive
I have data that I need to transfer from a Mac formatted drive to a PC formatted drive. I have a MacBook Pro where I can use both the Mac and PC sides. My problem is that I can't transfer data from the Mac drive to the PC drive. On the Mac side, both drives are recognized but the PC drive is read only. On the PC side, only the PC formatted drive is recognized. Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem on both the Mac and PC sides without reformatting either drives since both have data on them already. If it helps, I have an unformatted 3rd drive that I could format in a differe...

how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk
Hi, Few very simple questions. Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or not in Windows? Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the system? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. With regards, -Shailesh shailesh wrote: > Hi, > > Few very simple questions. > > Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or > not in Windows? > > Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the > system? http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html#find-drive-t...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

Mac IDE drives vs PC IDE drives
Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives? I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac running OS 9.1. Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data. I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without problem. Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's? &qu...

direct drive to drive copy?
You know about Fast Hackem for Commodore 64, provides a direct drive to drive Ultra Fast copy without sending data to the computer memory. I am wondering if the direct drive to drive copy is available for Atari? Jack Tseng On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:16:36 +0100, Jack Tseng <tseng4@hotmail.com> wrot= e: > You know about Fast Hackem for Commodore 64, provides a direct drive t= o > drive Ultra Fast copy without sending data to the computer memory. I a= m > wondering if the direct drive to drive copy is available for Atari? No, because the Atari drives are not p...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Driving a hard drive motor
Title says it all. Most motors that spin the disc assembly in hard drives seem to have four connectors. The one I have in front of me seems to have three coils connected to a common with about 2 OHM resistance for each coil. Does anyone know the precise details? Any help gratefully received. Jochen -- ----------------------------------------------- Jochen Lueg jochen.lueg@argonet.co.uk http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/tudor In article <4c12d1bafdtudor@argonet.co.uk>, Jochen Lueg <tudor@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Title says it all. > Most motors that spi...

Drive C or Drive D
I have a Viao. My drive C is near full and drive D is nearly empty. haow can i balance it out? what is the best to store on C and what is the best to put on drice D. I'd be very grayefull if anyone can suggest how to resolve my problem. There are so many ways to organize based on your habits & discipline. The first question deals with the sizes of each - you might find that the D drive is very small and only holds a restore backup of the installed software. Anyway, if D is large enough, keep the operating system on the C drive, for installation simplicity, keep applications there al...

SATA drive as boot drive
Hi, Can a single SATA drive be the boot disk when sharing a system with a single PATA drive? Thanks, Shane no spam <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f463a81$0$28118$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Can a single SATA drive be the boot disk when > sharing a system with a single PATA drive? Yes. ...

Do DAT drives have a drive letter?
Hi, I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him backup 2 directories on his server. He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT drive installed, but no backup software. The total amount of data is about 3 GB. 1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal? 2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories? Thanks for your help! -Eric in FL Most people supporting Windows Server know it has built-in backup. Devices don't get a drive letter if they are sequential access. &quo...

dvd drive driving me crazy
Hi I have got a scsi dvd drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401) which after a year started the very stupid behaviour of opening and closing its drawer several (up to 10 ) times most times it is being accessed before finally being able to read the dvd/cd inserted or even when booting being empty. For some reason it seems it cannot identify what is in the drive or even if there is something in the drive straight away. No big problem, I must admit but still quite annoying. I once opened the drive and cleaned it which seemed to solve the problem for a couple of weeks. But I am not in the mood of...

Drive letter of current drive
Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the current-default drive letter; e.g. D: or E: or F: etc.? The variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the current default drive. Thanks -- Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers and having to visit 10 different news stands to pickup each one. Email list-server groups and USENET are like having all of those newspapers delivered to your door every morning. Hello CRNG ! CRNG <noemail@atthis...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

Web resources about - Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Finding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook’s Mike Schroepfer, Jocelyn Goldfein Discuss Challenges Of Finding Female Engineers
Facebook Chief Technology Officer Mike Schroepfer and Director of Engineering Jocelyn Goldfein discussed the social network’s efforts to recruit ...

Finding Simplicity in a Multi-Device World
A new study looks at how people use different devices throughout the day.

Finding App Links with the Facebook Index API
This page describes how to use Facebook's Index API to find App Link data.

American Airlines Calls on Facebook Users to Name New Fare-Finding App
American Airlines is launching a campaign on Facebook to promote its new fare-finding application, which allows users to search for low fares. ...

Finding Carter (@finding_carter) on Twitter

Finding A Perfect Match - Twitter Blogs
Last month, Twitter had a very special date in New York City. We met with another startup, had lunch at the famous Shake Shack, and spent some ...

Uncage the Soul’s “Finding Portland”
"Finding Portland" video Uncage the Soul: “Finding Portland” was produced, shot, and edited in 51 days during March and April. Comprised of ...

Finding Your Passion In Work: 20 Awesome Quotes
... the rest of your life, and money were no object, what would you do?Holidays like Independence Day give me the excuse (and reminder) to Finding ...

IBAC probe continues into Ballarat officers despite Victoria Police finding
... police officers accused of excessive force against vulnerable women in their custody despite Victoria Police internal investigators finding ...