f



low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier of used or refurbished laptop
drives?

My friends laptop drive is failing and I'm looking for a compatible
replacement.

I tried lime search and google but most suppliers dont have the lower
capacity drives in stock. As I've been unable to find out the maximum size
drive this laptop can use with I'd prefer to stick with the same size.

So I'm looking for a supplier that has them available.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks for any info.

BTW... This is the second IBM drive that has failed!!  The original one was
replaced under warranty but the warranty has now expired. Apart from the
time IBM took to fix it and almost zilch customer support we dont want to
get another of their drives -especially in view of the prices they want!

Ian



0
Ian
4/6/2004 9:08:41 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
543 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

    The best way to go is online shopping.  Here are two sites
http://www.pricescan.com/01011405.asp and http://www.pricewatch.com/.  You
can select refurbished drives on the first site.  You probably won't be able
to buy the same HD that came with the computer and the larger ones are more
expensive.  The computer manufacturer can tell you what will work in the
computer which probably is much larger that the original.  Some of the
vendors will probably be helpful also.


-- 
Jim Walker
Northern Va
"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:c4tron$du$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier of used or refurbished laptop
> drives?
>
> My friends laptop drive is failing and I'm looking for a compatible
> replacement.
>
> I tried lime search and google but most suppliers dont have the lower
> capacity drives in stock. As I've been unable to find out the maximum size
> drive this laptop can use with I'd prefer to stick with the same size.
>
> So I'm looking for a supplier that has them available.
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> BTW... This is the second IBM drive that has failed!!  The original one
was
> replaced under warranty but the warranty has now expired. Apart from the
> time IBM took to fix it and almost zilch customer support we dont want to
> get another of their drives -especially in view of the prices they want!
>
> Ian
>
>
>


0
Jim
4/6/2004 1:17:01 PM
"Jim Walker" <walkerjd1@worldnet.att.net.net> wrote in message
news:h5ycc.46032$He5.882994@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>     The best way to go is online shopping.  Here are two sites
> http://www.pricescan.com/01011405.asp and http://www.pricewatch.com/.  You
> can select refurbished drives on the first site.  You probably won't be
able
> to buy the same HD that came with the computer and the larger ones are
more
> expensive.  The computer manufacturer can tell you what will work in the
> computer which probably is much larger that the original.  Some of the
> vendors will probably be helpful also.
>
>

Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time to reply with the info and the links.

You may have missed that I asked about UK suppliers. Unfortunately both the
links only list US dealers.

Ian


0
Ian
4/6/2004 5:06:33 PM
Following my original post...

Does anyone know which IDE version the i series 1400 uses?

Some drives I have seen uses ATA 5 others use ATA100 would either of these
work with this laptop?

Some have said any 2.5" drive "should" work but as yet no one can give me a
firm YES!        Obviously I don't want to order one and then find its
incompatible.

Ian



0
Ian
4/6/2004 5:16:20 PM
In article <c4unnd$7eo$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
Ian Roberts <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>"Jim Walker" <walkerjd1@worldnet.att.net.net> wrote in message
>news:h5ycc.46032$He5.882994@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>     The best way to go is online shopping.  Here are two sites
>> http://www.pricescan.com/01011405.asp and http://www.pricewatch.com/.  You
>> can select refurbished drives on the first site.  You probably won't be
>able
>> to buy the same HD that came with the computer and the larger ones are
>more
>> expensive.  The computer manufacturer can tell you what will work in the
>> computer which probably is much larger that the original.  Some of the
>> vendors will probably be helpful also.
>>
>>
>
>Hi Jim
>
>Thanks for taking the time to reply with the info and the links.
>
>You may have missed that I asked about UK suppliers. Unfortunately both the
>links only list US dealers.
>
>Ian
>
>


I wouldn't use  a refurbished/remanufactured drive on a bet. 

I can't help you with a UK spupplier. In the USA I'l pay 
about US$85 for a 20GB laptop drive and US$160 for a 60GB drive.  

You need to match up the brackets and mounting hardware that is
specific to your laptop.  Older laptop s used disks that were 12mm
think, but are no longer made, AFAIK. Current disks are 9mm think and
will work in old laptops (BIOS considerations aside if it's really old
and your new drive is really big.) You have to get the right brackets. 

If you have to copy data from the old disk to the new disk there are
lots of ways to do this.  Ask. 






-- 
Al Dykes
-----------
adykes  at p a n i x . c o m

0
adykes
4/6/2004 6:42:08 PM
"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
news:c4utm0$pmh$1@panix3.panix.com...
> In article <c4unnd$7eo$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
>
> I wouldn't use  a refurbished/remanufactured drive on a bet.
>
> I can't help you with a UK spupplier. In the USA I'l pay
> about US$85 for a 20GB laptop drive and US$160 for a 60GB drive.
>
> You need to match up the brackets and mounting hardware that is
> specific to your laptop.  Older laptop s used disks that were 12mm
> think, but are no longer made, AFAIK. Current disks are 9mm think and
> will work in old laptops (BIOS considerations aside if it's really old
> and your new drive is really big.) You have to get the right brackets.
>
> If you have to copy data from the old disk to the new disk there are
> lots of ways to do this.  Ask.
>

Hi Al

Thanks for replying.

Yep I agree it is a bit of a bet going for a used drive but ironically
getting a new one is no guarantee either!

My friend has had two new IBM drives fail.  Not the kind of performance I'd
expect from a global heavyweight!

Thanks for the heads up on the drive height. Ive since learnt that this
laptop uses 9mm drives.

I have no worries about getting the data off the drive as long as it lives
long enough! I have an external 10Gb USB Lacie drive that I can backup to. I
won it in a competition a few years back.  Its been one of the most useful
things in the world I never bought! And I had never even thought of getting
one prior to winning it! Its amazingly robust - it uses a Toshiba 2.5" drive
and this thing has been bouncing around inside bags and cases for miles and
miles and its never skipped a beat.

Most dealers Ive spoken to can supply laptop drives but so far none have
been willing to give me a definite yes on compatibility. Ghee whizz do they
really expect me to buy it first and just hope it works!!!!

I'm getting pretty fed up with the shite service and abysmal product
knowledge of these suppliers - do they want to sell their products or what?

Thanks for listening. Rant Over.

Ian I^)





0
Ian
4/6/2004 8:40:25 PM
In article <c4v481$k7r$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
Ian Roberts <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>news:c4utm0$pmh$1@panix3.panix.com...
>> In article <c4unnd$7eo$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
>>
>> I wouldn't use  a refurbished/remanufactured drive on a bet.
>>
>> I can't help you with a UK spupplier. In the USA I'l pay
>> about US$85 for a 20GB laptop drive and US$160 for a 60GB drive.
>>
>> You need to match up the brackets and mounting hardware that is
>> specific to your laptop.  Older laptop s used disks that were 12mm
>> think, but are no longer made, AFAIK. Current disks are 9mm think and
>> will work in old laptops (BIOS considerations aside if it's really old
>> and your new drive is really big.) You have to get the right brackets.
>>
>> If you have to copy data from the old disk to the new disk there are
>> lots of ways to do this.  Ask.
>>
>
>Hi Al
>
>Thanks for replying.
>
>Yep I agree it is a bit of a bet going for a used drive but ironically
>getting a new one is no guarantee either!
>
>My friend has had two new IBM drives fail.  Not the kind of performance I'd
>expect from a global heavyweight!
>
>Thanks for the heads up on the drive height. Ive since learnt that this
>laptop uses 9mm drives.
>
>I have no worries about getting the data off the drive as long as it lives
>long enough! I have an external 10Gb USB Lacie drive that I can backup to. I
>won it in a competition a few years back.  Its been one of the most useful
>things in the world I never bought! And I had never even thought of getting
>one prior to winning it! Its amazingly robust - it uses a Toshiba 2.5" drive
>and this thing has been bouncing around inside bags and cases for miles and
>miles and its never skipped a beat.
>
>Most dealers Ive spoken to can supply laptop drives but so far none have
>been willing to give me a definite yes on compatibility. Ghee whizz do they
>really expect me to buy it first and just hope it works!!!!
>
>I'm getting pretty fed up with the shite service and abysmal product
>knowledge of these suppliers - do they want to sell their products or what?
>
>Thanks for listening. Rant Over.
>
>Ian I^)
>
>
>

You might check into uk.comp.sys.laptops for local sources.  

comp.sys.laptops can probably answer questions about specific models
of laptops and drives. You haven't said what model you are working on. 

I don't think laptop compatibility issues are any differerent that 
IDE compatibility on desktop systems.  The connection dumbs down
to whichever is slower, the controller or the disk, and it works.  

Some disks draw more power than others, which might reduce 
battery hours a little bit.  

Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) has had reviews of laptop disks.






>
>


-- 
Al Dykes
-----------
adykes  at p a n i x . c o m

0
adykes
4/6/2004 9:26:10 PM
"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:c4v79i$i27$1@panix3.panix.com...
> In article <c4v481$k7r$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
> Ian Roberts <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> >news:c4utm0$pmh$1@panix3.panix.com...
> >> In article <c4unnd$7eo$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
> >>
> >> I wouldn't use  a refurbished/remanufactured drive on a bet.
> >>
> >> I can't help you with a UK spupplier. In the USA I'l pay
> >> about US$85 for a 20GB laptop drive and US$160 for a 60GB drive.
> >>
> >> You need to match up the brackets and mounting hardware that is
> >> specific to your laptop.  Older laptop s used disks that were 12mm
> >> think, but are no longer made, AFAIK. Current disks are 9mm think and
> >> will work in old laptops (BIOS considerations aside if it's really old
> >> and your new drive is really big.) You have to get the right brackets.
> >>
> >> If you have to copy data from the old disk to the new disk there are
> >> lots of ways to do this.  Ask.
> >>
> >
> >Hi Al
> >
> >Thanks for replying.
> >
> >Yep I agree it is a bit of a bet going for a used drive but ironically
> >getting a new one is no guarantee either!
> >
> >My friend has had two new IBM drives fail.  Not the kind of performance I'd
> >expect from a global heavyweight!
> >
> >Thanks for the heads up on the drive height. Ive since learnt that this
> >laptop uses 9mm drives.
> >
> >I have no worries about getting the data off the drive as long as it lives
> >long enough! I have an external 10Gb USB Lacie drive that I can backup to. I
> >won it in a competition a few years back.  Its been one of the most useful
> >things in the world I never bought! And I had never even thought of getting
> >one prior to winning it! Its amazingly robust - it uses a Toshiba 2.5" drive
> >and this thing has been bouncing around inside bags and cases for miles and
> >miles and its never skipped a beat.
> >
> >Most dealers Ive spoken to can supply laptop drives but so far none have
> >been willing to give me a definite yes on compatibility. Ghee whizz do they
> >really expect me to buy it first and just hope it works!!!!
> >
> >I'm getting pretty fed up with the shite service and abysmal product
> >knowledge of these suppliers - do they want to sell their products or what?
> >
> >Thanks for listening. Rant Over.
> >
> >Ian I^)
> >
> >
> >
>
> You might check into uk.comp.sys.laptops for local sources.
>
> comp.sys.laptops can probably answer questions about specific models
> of laptops and drives. You haven't said what model you are working on.

> I don't think laptop compatibility issues are any
> differerent that IDE compatibility on desktop systems.

They can be, particularly with drive capacity.

With desktop systems all you really need to worry about is whether
the bios suffers from one of the problems like the 32GB limit with
relatively modern systems. With laptops you dont necessarily even have
a proper drive table in the bios where you can set a USER drive type.

> The connection dumbs down to whichever is
> slower, the controller or the disk, and it works.

Sure, but not necessarily with drive capacity.

> Some disks draw more power than others, which might reduce
> battery hours a little bit.
>
> Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) has had reviews of laptop disks.


0
Rod
4/6/2004 11:31:34 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Thinkpad 760XL. How to replace hard drive with a non-IBM 6GB
I still appreciate using the old 760XL for looking at photos because -among 3 newer laptops- it gives the best picture quality. However, it is time to get a bigger hard drive than the original 2,1GB. It would make it possible to install XP. I thought it would be possible to use drives up to 6GB, but after trying with 3 different drives, I must give up: the beast will only recognise its own old drive. In spite of max. carefullness. I am aware of jumpers and I have prepared the drives with partitionMagic8 on another PC. additional detail: I have been using parts from a thinkpad 760CD to ...

IBM thinkpad bought 2000 hard drive replacement: Toshiba or Seagate
Dear All: I have a failing thinkpad HDD. need to replace it. Got two final choices: Toshiba mk4026gax 5400rpm 40gb, 16mb cache 1year warranty Seagate st94811a 5400rpm 40gb, 8mb cache 5year warranty Which do you recommend? Secondly; My old drive is 66mhz , the above new ones are all ATA-6 100mhz, I wonder if the above two drive will be compatible? Thirdly; I heard that the IBM has a separate section on HDD for system information for restore system. I wonder How to clone that to the new drive? Any comments are appreciated! Thanks Sureming ...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

Replacing Laptop Hard Drive
Hi, Ive got a Toshiba Satellite 3000 and am looking to replace the hard drive. Could someone please point me in the right direction with some links or info on how to do this. Thanks Eyman ...

Replacing a laptop hard drive
Hi, I have an old Toshiba laptop. It's got a pentium 4. The hard drive broke and I want to replace with a working HD. My question is what kind of hard drive do I get? Are all laptop hard drives (backward) compatible and will work? Or will only a special kind of hard drive work and/or fit correctly? Thanks. "gold" <goldtech@worldpost.com> wrote in message news:8a32f87d-650a-4a9a-b9a9-70fd9aa84a25@b13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have an old Toshiba laptop. It's got a pentium 4. The hard drive > broke and I want to replace with a working HD. My...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

Replacing pins on a laptop hard drive
Wednesday, April 28th 1:30 p.m. Can someone refer me to a company and/or Web site that I can use to replace bent and broken pins on an IBM "TravelStar" hard drive? The model number for my drive is: IC25N030ATDA04-0. Since IBM sold its hard drive business to Hitachi, I called them and asked if I could send it my drive to have it remove the area of the drive where the pins are located, replace them, and ship it back to me. Unfortunately, I was told that it couldn't. Thanks. ...

Re: Replacing Laptop Hard Drive
If you want to avoid re-loading software, and have a healthy drive currently, look for something called E-Z Gig or something similar. First, delete anything you don't want to transfer, make sure your anti-virus is up-to-date, run a complete virus scan and then de-frag the old disk. (You don't want to transfer old problems to the new disk). E-Z GIG is an enclosure for a 2.5" drive with a PC card interface to your laptop and some software and instructions. The new drive goes into the enclosure, the software clones your exisiting drive, then you swap the drives. If you want a fre...

Replace Your Laptop Hard Drive Easily
Replace Your Laptop Hard Drive Easily https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH42jK3_5So ...

Replacing Gericom laptop hard drive?
I believe that my Gericom laptop, is a re-badged Iwill N755IN. Though it's still under warranty Gericom have failed to comply with their own RMA procedure and I've wasted a lot of time and energy jumping through their hoops to nowhere. Since I'm now intending to replace the hard myself, I hope to maximize the HD capacity. These are 2 drives I've seen advertised: Fujitsu MHV2100AH 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA100 (Replacement for MHT series) Seagate Momentus ST9100823A 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA 100 Please can anyone tell me if either of these drives...

IBM Thinkpad 570 hard drive
Can anyone tell me if an IBM Thinkpad 570 can take a 12.5mm hard drive? Ron S wrote: > Can anyone tell me if an IBM Thinkpad 570 can take a 12.5mm hard drive? Yes. It can. ...

Hooking up a laptop hard drive to a PC
Hi, I have a MK4025GAS hard drive out of a laptop , its has a ata-6 interface, the laptop ahs broken and i want to retrieve the information off it and all i have is another PC. Is there a cable that i can use to conect the hard drive to the PCs IDE or USB ? Thanks Adrian Previously anplumpton@aol.com wrote: > Hi, > I have a MK4025GAS hard drive out of a laptop , its has a ata-6 > interface, the laptop ahs broken and i want to retrieve the information > off it and all i have is another PC. Is there a cable that i can use to > conect the hard drive to the P...

Replacing IBM Thinkpad Laptop Screen
Can anyone comment either from practical experience or speculation on the difficulty of a self-repair/replacement of a IBM Thinkpad screen? Just at a glance and from looking at pictures of replacement screen units, the process doesn't look much more complicated than changing a set of spark plugs (well, maybe a little more difficult). Looks to be just releasing the hinge assembly connector screws and then some cables disconnects/reconnects and finis! Assuming you're smart enough to acquire the correct replacement part, is it really much more difficult than that? Other ins...

Replacing a boot hard drive A with another hard drive A', while preserving the data in A
I have a Linux box L with three hard drives, A, B and C. B and C contain just user data, whereas all the OS data (that is, things like /usr, /etc, /boot etc.) lives in A. I would like to replace A with an all new hard drive A'. What is the least painful way of achieving this? In an ideal world what I'd like to do is the following: 1) Install A' in some other Linux box L' that is accessible from L by NFS. 2) Replicate A on A' over the NFS. (How's this done, by the way?) 3) Replace A with A'. That is, remove A from L, and A' from L'; install A&#...

Web resources about - low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility , usually referred to as the CMRR , is a facility under construction at Los Alamos ...

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Called On Replacement NFL Ref Due To Facebook Posts
One of the National Football League ’s replacement officials was removed from his assignment to work the New Orleans Saints ’ visit to the Carolina ...

Facebook Home: Replacement Home Screen for Android
Nicely-designed phone interface that I would personally never want to use. (They’re embedding Helvetica rather than using Google’s crummy Roboto. ...

The Replacements (@TheReplacements) on Twitter
Website has been fixed. Stay tuned to see what other shenanigans we may or may not have up our sleeves... theReplacementsOfficial.

App Store - The Complete Hair Replacement Guide
Get The Complete Hair Replacement Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nexus 4 Screen Replacement + Frame/Bezel Exchange - YouTube
For the parts or tools needed to perform this repair visit http://www.repairsuniverse.com/lg-nexus-4-e960-screen-replacement-repair-parts.ht ...

Big Bash League: Dick Smith collapse leaves Melbourne Stars searching for replacement key sponsor
... tumultuous week is on the cusp of returning to positive territory, with the Big Bash League team closing in on what would be a rapid replacement ...

Judge rejects class-action over AppleCare’s subpar replacements, calls lawyer ‘manifestly incompetent’ ...
Remember that class-action lawsuit alleging AppleCare+ customers were being given subpar replacement products? This week a federal judge rejected ...

Report: Users Routinely Purge Apps and Look for Better Replacements
... — last around 13 weeks. Millennials tend to keep apps for shorter periods than baby boomers. After deletion, many users look for good replacements, ...

Business backs Paul Fletcher to be Jamie Briggs replacement
... business community is disappointed by Jamie Briggs' departure from the new cities minister role and is backing Paul Fletcher as the best replacement. ...

Resources last updated: 1/28/2016 10:53:05 AM