Original msg.....

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500

I searched all of the web and usenet and couldn't find this answer, so
I tried it out myself and now I'm sharing the info for any other who
have the same question.

I purchased a 40GB Maxtor External Drive 3000LE, its has a USB 2.0
interface:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/external/personal_storage_3000/personal_storage_3000le/index.htm

First job was to put in a larger drive, I threw in a 7200RPM 120GB WD
drive.  Taking apart the enclosure is easy and so is swapping the
drives.  Worked like a charm and the performance according to SiSandra
is excellent (when attached to a host that supports USB 2.0)

Next question which I couldn't find any answer to on the net is does
it support 48-bit addressing (e.g. drives > 137GB).  I know that
Maxtor makes other external drive models that go above 120GB but I
didn't know if they had a different internals.

So I just stuck a Maxtor 200GB drive in it and the full size was
recognized.   I also located the chip that runs the whole show on the
internal board, its a Cypress CY7C68013-56PVC.  Here are the full
specs here:
http://www.cypress.com/products/datasheet.cfm?partnum=CY7C68300-56PVC

  EZ-USB AT2T USB 2.0 to ATA/ATAPI Bridge

Features

Complies with USB-IF specifications for USB 2.0, the USB Mass Storage
Class, and the USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport
Specification

Operates at high (480-Mbps) or full (12-Mbps) speed

Complies with T13's ATA/ATAPI-6 Draft Specification

Supports 48-bit addressing for large hard drives

Supports PIO modes 0, 3, 4, and UDMA modes 2, 4

0
A_Michigan_User
7/12/2006 2:02:43 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.

Arno

Previously "\"A_Michigan_User\"" <Michigan_RE_M0VE@ameritech.net> wrote:
> I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external.

> My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put 1
> in the 3000LE case... it
> only sees 137gig.

> Did you have to do anything special to get yours to work?

> Where did you see that chipset... and part #?   I don't see anything that
> says "Cypress" on the board inside mine.

> Thanks.

> Original msg.....

> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500

> I searched all of the web and usenet and couldn't find this answer, so
> I tried it out myself and now I'm sharing the info for any other who
> have the same question.

> I purchased a 40GB Maxtor External Drive 3000LE, its has a USB 2.0
> interface:
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/external/personal_storage_3000/personal_storage_3000le/index.htm

> First job was to put in a larger drive, I threw in a 7200RPM 120GB WD
> drive.  Taking apart the enclosure is easy and so is swapping the
> drives.  Worked like a charm and the performance according to SiSandra
> is excellent (when attached to a host that supports USB 2.0)

> Next question which I couldn't find any answer to on the net is does
> it support 48-bit addressing (e.g. drives > 137GB).  I know that
> Maxtor makes other external drive models that go above 120GB but I
> didn't know if they had a different internals.

> So I just stuck a Maxtor 200GB drive in it and the full size was
> recognized.   I also located the chip that runs the whole show on the
> internal board, its a Cypress CY7C68013-56PVC.  Here are the full
> specs here:
> http://www.cypress.com/products/datasheet.cfm?partnum=CY7C68300-56PVC

>   EZ-USB AT2T USB 2.0 to ATA/ATAPI Bridge

> Features

> Complies with USB-IF specifications for USB 2.0, the USB Mass Storage
> Class, and the USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport
> Specification

> Operates at high (480-Mbps) or full (12-Mbps) speed

> Complies with T13's ATA/ATAPI-6 Draft Specification

> Supports 48-bit addressing for large hard drives

> Supports PIO modes 0, 3, 4, and UDMA modes 2, 4

0
Arno
7/12/2006 12:48:04 PM
"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:4hk9c4F1r0pdhU1@individual.net...
> You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.

More bullshit from the village idiot. The IDE drivers are not used.

> Previously "\"A_Michigan_User\"" <Michigan_RE_M0VE@ameritech.net> wrote:
> > I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external.
>
> > My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put 1
> > in the 3000LE case... it
> > only sees 137gig.

The USB enclosure is limited to 137GB. Is there a firmware update?

0
Eric
7/12/2006 4:10:55 PM
I already have XP/SP4 (and huge internal drives work fine).... but this is
an external, USB2 drive.

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.
>
> Arno
>
> Previously "\"A_Michigan_User\"" <Michigan_RE_M0VE@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external.
>
>> My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put
>> 1
>> in the 3000LE case... it
>> only sees 137gig.
>
>> Did you have to do anything special to get yours to work?
>
>> Where did you see that chipset... and part #?   I don't see anything that
>> says "Cypress" on the board inside mine.
>
>> Thanks.
>

>> Original msg.....
>
>> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500
>
>> I searched all of the web and usenet and couldn't find this answer, so
>> I tried it out myself and now I'm sharing the info for any other who
>> have the same question.
>
>> I purchased a 40GB Maxtor External Drive 3000LE, its has a USB 2.0
>> interface:
>> http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/external/personal_storage_3000/personal_storage_3000le/index.htm
>
>> First job was to put in a larger drive, I threw in a 7200RPM 120GB WD
>> drive.  Taking apart the enclosure is easy and so is swapping the
>> drives.  Worked like a charm and the performance according to SiSandra
>> is excellent (when attached to a host that supports USB 2.0)
>
>> Next question which I couldn't find any answer to on the net is does
>> it support 48-bit addressing (e.g. drives > 137GB).  I know that
>> Maxtor makes other external drive models that go above 120GB but I
>> didn't know if they had a different internals.
>
>> So I just stuck a Maxtor 200GB drive in it and the full size was
>> recognized.   I also located the chip that runs the whole show on the
>> internal board, its a Cypress CY7C68013-56PVC.  Here are the full
>> specs here:
>> http://www.cypress.com/products/datasheet.cfm?partnum=CY7C68300-56PVC
>

>>   EZ-USB AT2T USB 2.0 to ATA/ATAPI Bridge
>
>> Features
>
>> Complies with USB-IF specifications for USB 2.0, the USB Mass Storage
>> Class, and the USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport
>> Specification
>
>> Operates at high (480-Mbps) or full (12-Mbps) speed
>
>> Complies with T13's ATA/ATAPI-6 Draft Specification
>
>> Supports 48-bit addressing for large hard drives
>
>> Supports PIO modes 0, 3, 4, and UDMA modes 2, 4

0
A_Michigan_User
7/13/2006 2:53:04 AM
I'm not sure about a firmware update.  (Nor how would 1 go about updating an
external drive case).

As usual... Maxtor never responds to any of my tech-support questions sent
to them directly.

Ugh.

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.
>>
> More bullshit from the village idiot. The IDE drivers are not used.
>
>> Previously "\"A_Michigan_User\"" <Michigan_RE_M0VE@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> > I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external.
>>
>> > My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to
>> > put 1
>> > in the 3000LE case... it
>> > only sees 137gig.
>>
> The USB enclosure is limited to 137GB. Is there a firmware update?

0
A_Michigan_User

Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & Maxtor Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & MaxtorOne-Touch harddrive)
I'm running Redhat 9 linux on my Toshiba 3500 tablet. Besides the fact that the IR , MM/SD, and the digitizer/pen aren't working, now the laptop will drop the usb connection after a couple minutes of reading files from it. Attempting to remount the partitition (after a umount) results in an invalid device error. The error is repeated whether I use kernel 2.4.20-8, 2.4.20-27.9, 2.4.20-28.9, or a custom kernel. Any suggestions? dmesg excerpts follow. Lin...

Gigabit/USB 2.0 external 500GB drive/storage less than $400? #2
Hi, i am trying to find a network drive that is gigabit capable, that also (though i am willing to do without) has USB2.0 and is around 500GB. I didn't think this would be so difficult and i can find something like this but it is only 100Mb/Ethernet for $350+ everything else seems to start in the $500+ area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Gigabit/USB 2.0 external 500GB drive/storage less than $400?
Hi, i am trying to find a network drive that is gigabit capable, that also (though i am willing to do without) has USB2.0 and is around 500GB. I didn't think this would be so difficult and i can find something like this but it is only 100Mb/Ethernet for $350+ everything else seems to start in the $500+ area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

External Maxtor 5000LE USB 2.0 hard drive: /etc/fstab entry?
Am planning to use one of the above drives. Anyone know what the /etc/fstab entry should be? (I.e. is it /dev/sda1, sda2, sda3 or ... ?) I've currently got /dev/sda1 for Dazzle USB 2.0 SD card reader, and /dev/sda4 for USB 2.0 Zip drive. -- Maurice Batey (Retired in Hampshire, UK) www.maurice.eurobell.co.uk (Remove 'antispam.' to reply) On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:53:23 +0000, I wrote: > Am planning to use one of the above drives. > > Anyone know what the /etc/fstab entry should be? Turns out no need to add an entry - the Hotplugger does that ...

Sony 512 MB Micro Vault Flash USB 2.0 Drive Pen Thumb Drive #2
Hi, I can offer Brand new sealed Sony 512 MB Micro Vault Flash USB 2.0 Drive Pen Thumb Drive for only $105+shipping. Contact me at amitc880 @ ya hoo.com ...

usb 2.0 external drive
Hi, As some of you may remember, I'm quite new in the sco unix world. I'm trying to make a usb 2.0 external hard disk work with os5.0.7 for backup purposes. The problem is that I'm getting usb 1.1 performance (less than 1Mbps). I know the drive support usb 2, as I tested it with another os. Using the hw command, I see the three usb_uhci drivers up. Can you give me some pointers as how to orient this troubleshooting? Thanks in advance, -- chabral chabral wrote: > As some of you may remember, I'm quite new in the sco unix world. > I'm tryin...

SunOS 5.9 sparc && Iomega HDD USB 2.0 Drive
Hello, I'm trying to attach and mount the above mentioned device which works fine with Linux and FreeBSD. Attaching it to the USB port brings up in /var/adm/messages: Jan 25 12:15:12 adams usba: [ID 855233 kern.info] USB-device: storage@2, scsa2usb1 at bus address 2 Jan 25 12:15:12 adams usba: [ID 593373 kern.info] Iomega Iomega HDD USB 2.0 Drive DEF10D15F970 Jan 25 12:15:12 adams genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] scsa2usb1 is /pci@1e,600000/usb@a/storage@2 Jan 25 12:15:12 adams genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info] /pci@1e,600000/usb@a/storage@2 (scsa2usb1) online Jan 25 12:15:13 adams scs...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives
I went into Fry's last Friday (a rather dangerous thing to do) and saw a nice sale. Buffalo 500 Gig USB 2.0 external drives for $110. I picked up two. It comes preformatted as fat 32 and the included management CD does not support ext2 (or any other native linux file system). Because of limitations with mounting vfat on a Linux box, I nuked the existing partition table and divided into one NTFS partition and one ext2 partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used windows XP to redo the partition table, leaving half the drive unused, then moved it to my linux box to create th...

USB 2.0 external hard drives
Are all USB 2.0 connected external hard drives that much slower than a similar Firewire 400 connected drive? It seems that based on what my friend's setup did. Recently I was helping a friend with a MBPro and he'd bought a USB 2.0 external hard drive. We copied his boot volume off his internal hard disk in the laptop. The cloned OSX on the external USB 2.0 drive booted, but noticeably VERY slowly compared to the internal drive in the MBPro. All this was 10.4.8. I just wanted to know if this was true in general for all USB 2.0 external hard drives. I had read USB 2.0 in Mac OS...

invisible external usb 2.0 drives
Hello, after my Dell bit it two weeks ago, I decided to make my next laptop a powerbook G4. I'm trying to connect my old dell laptop drive to the mac as an external drive. This is now in a usb 2 housing, by Norwood. (Bought it new, stated on the box compatible with macs and pcs.) I also have another external drive, also in a usb 2 housing by iogear, that I would use with the dell. Currently I can't get the g4 to even see these devices. When I connect them to the usb ports, the drives just click continually, they don't spin up, and no device icon appears on the...

USB 2.0 external drive ?? help
I've just installed a Seagate 80 GB disk in a MAP-H31U2 case. Its a USB 2.0 unit, I'm using XP SP2 with 2GB Pentium 4 with USB 2.0 support. I did a simple 700 MB file transfer to the external drive it took about 55 sec. I don't think its fast enough. Is there anything else I need to check, What is your experience with USB 2.0 external drives ? adid1@centrum.cz wrote: > I've just installed a Seagate 80 GB disk in a MAP-H31U2 case. > Its a USB 2.0 unit, I'm using XP SP2 with 2GB Pentium 4 > with USB 2.0 support. > > I did a simple 700 MB fi...

external drive, firewire VS USB 2.0
So I just got an external hard drive (My Book, Western Digital) and you can connect it with firewire or USB 2.0. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_2.0#USB_2.0_Hi-Speed_versus_FireWire This wiki information makes it seem that if you're using a single firewire drive it will be faster than USB 2.0. But if you're using several devices, instead of chaining several firewire drives together, it'd be faster to use USB hubs. Is this accurate? Also, what happens when both the firewire and USB cables are plugged in? Will the system choose the faster connection? Thanks. In article &l...

Web resources about - Maxtor External USB 2.0 Drive 3000LE & Large Drives - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...