Need Advice: Can't get crashed HD to boot as slave so I can see if any files can be recovered.

80 gig WD HD crashed on E macnine.
Drive had 6 partitions.
Tried recovery software x4 which fully installed
but boot up stops and I always get "disk read error".

Talked with e machine tech in live chat, we retried recovery disks,
chkdsk said there was 1 partition and we both suspect a trashed MBR
which we failed to recover.
I don't want to format the drive because I have many files I want to
recover if possible, the most important are health information files
concerning leukemia.
Purchased a WD 120 gig HD and installed XP with recovery discs.
Computer is up and running just fine.

When I make the Crashed 80 gig HD a slave to try to see if any files
can be recovered,  the computer just won't boot up.
The xp screen flashes and the monitor goes blank but the hard drive
light is active.  I get freaked and cut the juice.
Tried with both drives jumpered to cable select and then as master
slave.
The CMOS recognizes both driver correctly.

It almost seems like the computer sees both drives as bootable
and throws a fit.
Can anyone give me any advice that would let me look at the crashed
disk?  What conditions must exist that would generate "disk read
error" at boot up?
Thanks for any help.
0
lacy
11/27/2004 10:56:02 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Can't see hard drive/can't boot.
Using an Intel Mac with 2gb ram with updated Leopard. When starting up, the hard drive does its usual whine, then stops, and starts again. I get the Apple logo on the grey background. But it refuses to go further. Just does this over and over. Its like its hitting some block on the startup. So I take that hard drive and try it on another Mac. It sees it perfectly. I try some utilities to test it - tests 100%. It behaves perfectly. Then I take the 2nd hard drive I use all the time on that system (firewire) and plug it into the other Mac. Its invisible. Nothing in the Finder. ...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

Can you see why I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundError here? I can't see it :<
I'm going through the HeadFirt EJB book, and I stuck on one example. :< The code is here (simple example used to illustrate simple ejb creation/usage, but my example has that commented out). import javax.naming.*; import java.rmi.*; import javax.rmi.*; import headfirst.*; import javax.ejb.*; public class AdviceClient{ public static void main( String[] args ){ System.err.println( "BEG" ); //new AdviceClient().go(); System.err.println( "END" ); } public void go(){ try{ Context ic = new InitialContext(); Object o = ic.lookup( "Advisor" ); ...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in locat...

Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports
I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it might have been XP) to 2003. The database is impressive, both in what it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works. There are several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they are used or if they are in fact necessary at all... The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire operation is based on it - from patient records to donations. The ...

Can't Boot Up - Missing NTSDAPI.dll file
Hello, Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my pointer about. Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. Thanks!! Anthony Anthony wrote: ...

I can see keys I can't fetch, and now I'm getting DB_RUNRECOVERY.
G'day, everyone. I'm one of the developers of iPodder, and we're using Python 2.3's inclusion of Berkely DB to implement our state database. C:\dev\db-4.2.52.NC>python >>> import bsddb >>> bsddb.__version__ '4.2.0.2' We've taken great pains to avoid having iPodder run twice, so the database shouldn't be open to more than one process at a time, but we *do* run a lot of threads all of which pound the database at once. That might not have been such a good idea, as we're spotting a few of weird things. Perhaps amusingly, it&...

Can't use my //e because I can't get any software for it
Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be able to create a bootable 3.5" di...

Eudora can't write to file so can't start
I start Eudora. I get the mailbox In has been changed and is different from the table of contents error. I click rebuild. I get the error message saying can'r open file eudora\attachablah-blah (loads of sgquiggle charcters I can't recreate). I click ok and get an unhandled exception error. Then I get the illegal operation closing down error. then we cycle endlessly though it. I can't get Eudora started and would be grateful for ideas. Thanks in advance, BB Big Bill <kruse@cityscape.co.uk> wrote in news:qhedk0lpmnjgkd9hnia5q82cqfbccnfrfl@4ax.com: > I star...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe...

PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install
Help! Just to clarify what we have so far; We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could manually switch the pc off by ...

PC can ping website, can't get there by http
not sure if this is the best group for this, but here goes. I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to narrow this down, and hope someone can help. small office, 12 PCs, all Windows XP. yesterday they had a DLink router. today they put into place a Watchguard Firebox X20E. the configuration seems to be fine. However, only 3 of the 12 PCs can consistently browse the web. all can do SMTP/POP, and all can get to some web sites. this is an office in Montreal with a DSL connection with Bell Canada. static IP address. all the clients are DHCP, all are getting addresses. Windows firewal...

Can't get there from here, or can I?
I have managed to shrink / resize about 30 jpegs that were, did I say I did not save the pics first on a disk?, 3008 w X 2000 h to 150 h x 100w. I thot I was making a page of thumbnails for my website. Now that everything is 150 x 100, is there any way that I can enlarge / restore them? I suspect that I have lost all, but still have hope that the learning process won't be quite so devaatating. "Richard W. Pettengill" <rpettengill@comcast.net> wrote in message news:qp4td.200146$HA.83717@attbi_s01... >I have managed to shrink / resize about 30 jpegs that were...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

Web resources about - Need Advice: Can't get crashed HD to boot as slave so I can see if any files can be recovered. - comp.pc.hardware.storage