pc.hardware.storage - backup strategy - help please

So here I am:
I chose to use 2 hard drives
one master & one to be used to store a "backup" of the
primary/master/whatever. (don't mention the war! - meant to say RAID)

How do I set up xp + whatever application and/or procedure,  to create
the best/easiest/current capability to restore, after a hardware
failure of the master.

you may have seen this asked before, by me.
sorry
should be raid 1 but i may not have a choice, so was looking for
second best.
any recommendations for another group?

0
DonLogan
10/13/2006 2:16:57 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

DonLogan <navajo@neonfeather.com> wrote:

> So here I am:
> I chose to use 2 hard drives
> one master & one to be used to store a "backup" of the
> primary/master/whatever. (don't mention the war! - meant to say RAID)

> How do I set up xp + whatever application and/or procedure,
> to create the best/easiest/current capability to restore,
> after a hardware failure of the master.

You dont say how active your data is. If its low enough, one viable
approach is to do a backup every night, with something like True Image.

That wont stop you losing the day's work if the
main drive dies just before the daily backup tho.

You can get more protection by say doing hourly incremental
backups with something that can do that like True Image, so
you wont lose as much if the main hard drive dies.

> you may have seen this asked before, by me.
> sorry should be raid 1 but i may not have a
> choice, so was looking for second best.
> any recommendations for another group?

This one is as good as any for something like this.

One thing your latest scheme and raid 1 dont cover is
catestrophic failure of the power supply that frys both
drives, but that isnt very common at all and you can
protect against that to a limited extent by using a decent
power supply that has adequate protection against that.

You wont be covered for theft of the system, or fire or flood
etc.  That may not matter if you are already backing up the
most important stuff to say DVDs etc and moving them off site.

0
Rod
10/13/2006 3:36:33 AM
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:16:57 -0400, DonLogan <navajo@neonfeather.com>
wrote:

>So here I am:
>I chose to use 2 hard drives
>one master & one to be used to store a "backup" of the
>primary/master/whatever. (don't mention the war! - meant to say RAID)
>
>How do I set up xp + whatever application and/or procedure,  to create
>the best/easiest/current capability to restore, after a hardware
>failure of the master.
>
>you may have seen this asked before, by me.
>sorry
>should be raid 1 but i may not have a choice, so was looking for
>second best.
>any recommendations for another group?

I use True Image from www.acronis.com - you can get it cheap at newegg
if you're in the US.

I have TI do this:

- Full image once a week to a second internal or external drive.

- Incremental image, to the same name as the full image, once a day
except for the full backup day.  After the full backup runs, the
incrementals overwrite last week's incrementals.

- Alternate full image, to a different name, once a week, 3-4 days
away from the main image.  This gives me an independent backup in case
something's wrong with the main one.

Now, I'm a bit paranoid about data loss, so I also copy the alternate
to a network drive in a different location, in case something happens
to the main system like theft.  Now and again, I burn the backups to
DVD and stash them in the safe.  Those aren't always completely up to
date, but they have things like 10+ years worth of photos and
documents.

I set TI to do this in the middle of the night, and also tell it to
run at powerup if it wasn't on when the backup was scheduled, so I get
my daily update whether the computer's on at the scheduled time or
not.

The main risk is if something interrupts the main backup, in which
case your entire backup set is hosed, and that's why I make an
independent alternate backup.  Incrementals being interrupted just
loses the incremental data.

It's been working fine for several years, and has saved my bacon quite
a few times now.  Restoration is very quick, depending on the amount
of data, and your system starts up exactly like it was at the last
image.

max

0
max
10/13/2006 3:41:11 AM
In article <t0tti2pvsst794c863kf8pefs89f9j3iim@4ax.com>,
navajo@neonfeather.com says...
> So here I am:
> I chose to use 2 hard drives
> one master & one to be used to store a "backup" of the
> primary/master/whatever. (don't mention the war! - meant to say RAID)
>
> How do I set up xp + whatever application and/or procedure,  to create
> the best/easiest/current capability to restore, after a hardware
> failure of the master.

You could use a drive image program like Drive Snapshot (full system
backup of a running windows partition). On my PC, it takes less than 50
seconds to backup my C: drive to the second disk. The resulting file
size is about 350 MB (XP SP2 installation CD created with nLite).

> you may have seen this asked before, by me.
> sorry
> should be raid 1 but i may not have a choice, so was looking for
> second best.
> any recommendations for another group?

In case you want to restore all of the C: drive, you'll have to use a
bootable windows CD (BartPE or UBCD4WIN). Some minutes later, you'll
have your running windows OS.

--
IM: deepanger@jabber.org
0

DonLogan <navajo@neonfeather.com> wrote:

>So here I am:
>I chose to use 2 hard drives
>one master & one to be used to store a "backup" of the
>primary/master/whatever. (don't mention the war! - meant to say RAID)
>
>How do I set up xp + whatever application and/or procedure,  to create
>the best/easiest/current capability to restore, after a hardware
>failure of the master.
>
>you may have seen this asked before, by me.
>sorry
>should be raid 1 but i may not have a choice, so was looking for
>second best.
>any recommendations for another group?

0
DonLogan

PC to PC
Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC attached.Originally the set up was for the RPC and 1 PC to be on line and also for the RPC to make use of the PCs printer capabilities.The 2nd PC is my daughters and she would like to make use of the Epson photocolour printer without having to shift everything around.But I can't seem to get the 2 PCs talking to one another.Any ideas please? Dave. In article <42f977b64e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC ...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

..Scoop!! Pc hardware runs amiga software faster than amiga hardware!!
its true.. heres the proof.. http://www.totalamiga.org/bts.html Who can refute this evidence? On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:40:30 +0800, "MrJumbles" <fauxbrick1@hotmail.com> wrote: >its true.. >heres the proof.. >http://www.totalamiga.org/bts.html > >Who can refute this evidence? and yes, amithlon is great Amiga on PC :) > > > "Sam Smith" <sam@potionp.co.uk> wrote in news:bhvmoa$cle$1$8300dec7 @news.demon.co.uk: > What a shame you can't get Amithlon anymore though :( That's not entirely accurate. Amithlon is no longer bei...

how to access my own PC from remote PC(any PC
I got mywebserver from http://www.mywebserver.org/us/, I dont know how to access 'mywebserver' running on my own PC from remote location (i.e any PC connected to internet)??? I tried in the address bar of web browser folloing things... 1)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D. is IP address shown on control panel of 'mywebserver'. This IP address remains same on getting connected to internet.(i.e. It doesnt change whenever my PC connects to internet) 2)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D is IP address of my PC(got from 'ipconfig' command) Can anybody tell me? how to access ...

xPC target seminar on September 9, 2004
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C48C29.9C1F47E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The laboratory of robotic systems (LSRO) is organizing a one day seminar = on xPC target - a real-time rapid prototyping and hardware-in-the-loop = simulation environment for PC hardware - which will take place on = Thursday, September 9, from 10h30 (the venue will be announced once the = number of participants is known). The seminar will be held in english by = Mr. Michael Vetsch, xPC target Manager at ...

pc hardware documentation
hi to all where can i find good pc hardware documentation ? i need the way to program pci and isa busses, videos cards, sound cards, network cards, etc... ? is there any good book available, or perhaps web sites ? thanks in advance for the information philippe castell The title I used the most as a reference when studied the Minix bootstraping source was 'The Undocumented PC', van Gilluwe, Addison Wesley, 2nd edition. Have a look first at amazon (or at another site) at the table of comments to see whereas it is realy what you need. I think it is very difficult to find...

Cassette storage on the PC
Is there software/a way to connect a Tape to the PC and have it store small files? Turbo of course......What I am asking is, is there a way to hook up a cassette player to the PC the same way the cassette player was hooked up to the PET/C64 (doesn't have to be hardware identical) and save programs/files/pics, etc? Anyone have any ideas? Cheers Gil Kimmyland@gmail.com Kimmyland@gmail.com wrote: > Is there software/a way to connect a Tape to the PC and have it store > small files? The original IBM-PC, 5-slot PC/XT and the PCjr all had cassette ports which would do it directly. ...

Hardware for MAC or PC?
(Newbie) What is the difference between Mac and PC hardware? Do some PCI cards no work on Mac of do they all? What about memory chips? SDRAM, is that the same on Mac as on PC? Harddiskdrives? Is there a difference? CDrom drive....momintors...USB cards.... Is there a website where I can read all about this? Thanks In article <4343b889$0$10952$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, "ICE" <ICE@nospam.com> wrote: > (Newbie) > > What is the difference between Mac and PC hardware? > Do some PCI cards no work on Mac of do they all? Many don't ...

FA: PC Hardware
FA PC Hardware Links shortened so they appear correctly ABIT KX7-333 AMD Athlon XP / Duron Motherboar http://tinyurl.com/lree AMD Athlon XP 1800+ *UNLOCKED* http://tinyurl.com/lref Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard (PS/2) http://tinyurl.com/lreg ThermoEngine AMD Athlon Heatsink / Fan http://tinyurl.com/lrei Gravis Xterminator Game Pad for PC http://tinyurl.com/mert Saitek X6-33M Controller for PC http://tinyurl.com/lrek Sidewinder ForceFeedback Wheel + Games http://tinyurl.com/lrej "Spinal" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:3f592244$0...

hardware to turn pc on?
is there something that checks the PC constantly and if it's down it will "push" the switch to turn it on? thankx. Alan Zhong wrote: > is there something that checks the PC constantly and if it's down it > will "push" the switch to turn it on? > thankx. Do a search on "watchdog timers" -- The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net. On 22 Sep 2004 09:48:27 -0700, alanchinese@yahoo.com (Alan Zhong) wrote: >is there something that checks the PC const...

Mothballs and PC hardware?
Time to "mothball" some computers I've got kicking around. Are mothballs safe to expose to the hardware? Should I be using citronella pellets instead? On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:36:14 GMT, user@test.com wrote: >Time to "mothball" some computers I've got kicking around. > >Are mothballs safe to expose to the hardware? Should I be using citronella >pellets instead? > > Silica Gel and a plastic bag is a better option. Previously gfretwell@aol.com wrote: > On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:36:14 GMT, user@test.com wrote: >>...

OSX on PC
Any word on what type of hardware the PC OSX will use? I'm guessing it will not be standard Pentium/Athlon hardware but will continue to be proprietary. You won't be able to install Windows & OSX on the same machine right? -G In article <9e5qh153oum69jede8qqjpenl1ji3qa1in@4ax.com>, GEOS <no@no.com> wrote: > Any word on what type of hardware the PC OSX will use? I'm guessing it > will not be standard Pentium/Athlon hardware but will continue to be > proprietary. You won't be able to install Windows & OSX on the same > machine right? No, unknow...

pc hardware documentation
hi to all where can i find good pc hardware documentation ? i need the way to program pci and isa busses, videos cards, sound cards, network cards, etc... ? is there any good book available, or perhaps web sites ? thanks in advance for the information philippe castell ...

Do-It-Yourself Tutorials on PC Hardware
Listing of do-it-yourself instructional tutorials on subjects pertaining to the installation of PC hardware components into desktop and laptop computer systems for detail Visit =85 http://www.computertipsntr= icks.com/hardware.htm <http://www.ComputerTipsnTricks.com/> All tutorials include step-by- step instructions along with photographs to help document the proper way to install these components. For more detail visit =85 for detail Visit =85 http://www.computertipsntricks.com/hardware.htm <http://www.ComputerTipsnTricks.com/> ...

CAD pc, what hardware ?
Hello all, I need some info on wich cpu and graphic card to buy for a pc wich will run Microstation. AMD or Intel ? Will a radeon X1600 512mb card be good enough ? or other ideas in the same price range ? I need the price to be in the very affordable "student class" range. Tia sven ...

Web resources about - pc.hardware.storage - backup strategy - help please - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Graphics hardware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
integrated and dedicated. An integrated graphics card, usually by Intel for use in their computers, is bound to the motherboard and shares RAM ...

Wesfarmers to invade British hardware market
Retailer's move to gain foothold in the UK home improvement market brings with it some geographical risk.

Woolworths to close or sell Masters and Home Timber and Hardware
Woolworths will either sell or shut down its struggling hardware chain Masters, putting an end to the supermarket giant's disastrous foray into ...

Masters hardware: Woolworths to sell or close; Wesfarmers buys into UK Homebase
Woolworths announces it will exit its unprofitable Masters hardware business, at the same time as rival Wesfarmers expands in the UK.

Job listings seemingly confirm Google is working on its own VR hardware
Two weeks ago, a report claimed that Google is forming its own VR division, with Clay Bavor (former VP of Gmail and Drive) in charge of the new ...

Masters' pain is Bunnings' gain as Woolworths bows out of hardware war
... back into Australia on Sunday after spending most of the Christmas break in Britain finalising a $1.7 billion deal to expand into the UK hardware ...

LG admits G4 bootloop problem is a hardware fault, will repair affected devices
... LG. The official response has come through and it should make G4 owners happy: LG has acknowledged the LG G4 bootloop issue is a hardware defect ...

Hardware Is Not That Hard Anymore
Hardware is the enabler for digital services, new business models and real world digital ecosystems and platforms. Tech giants have been acquiring ...

Build conference sells out in seconds, even with higher price and no hardware giveaway
... an agenda for the developer-focused event. The only thing we do know is that, unlike events of the past, there apparently won't be any hardware ...

Microsoft's big conference for programmers sold out in under an hour, despite no hardware giveaways
... sold out, with a waitlist filling up rapidly. That's despite the fact that as Windows Central reports , there won't be any free hardware giveaways ...