Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?

Hi,

My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my
laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same
as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with,
thus need to use usb)

So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see
link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular
internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of
reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is
better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure?

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDDR320E03X-320GB-Portable-External/dp/B0013FVZXC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220890686&sr=1-11
0
albert
9/8/2008 8:15:53 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In message
<2e682c55-87a3-40f7-9a1c-6c30861e7c20@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>
"albert.mills@googlemail.com" <albert.mills@googlemail.com> wrote:

>My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my
>laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same
>as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with,
>thus need to use usb)
>
>So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see
>link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular
>internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of
>reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is
>better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure?

It's very easy to grab an external enclosure and set it up, however, a
lot of the cheapo adapters have heating problems, so I'd generally
recommend buying a single piece unit if that is how you intend to use
it.

Your local market may be different, but the last time I priced it out,
the single unit was cheaper then buying parts.
0
DevilsPGD
9/8/2008 10:47:32 PM
albert.mills@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my
> laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same
> as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with,
> thus need to use usb)
>
> So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see
> link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular
> internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of
> reliability and speed?

There isnt any difference if the style of housing is the same.

The main advantage of assembling it yourself is that the drive has
the full 3 or 5 year warranty and few packaged external drives have
any more than a 1 year warranty.

> How difficult is this to set up?

Its easy if you know what you are doing, but there are some variables
like the type of drive interface that can be a problem if you dont.

> If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive

I like the Samsungs myself, they run quieter and cooler
than most and that is very desirable with an external drive.

> and enclosure?

Thats harder to specify.

> http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDDR320E03X-320GB-Portable-External/dp/B0013FVZXC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220890686&sr=1-11

0
Rod
9/8/2008 10:55:34 PM
"albert.mills@googlemail.com" <albert.mills@googlemail.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my
> laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same
> as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with,
> thus need to use usb)
>
> So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see
> link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular
> internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of
> reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is
> better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure?
>
> Thanks.

I've used build yourself external cases and have two pre-built external
HDDs too. The thing with build your own is that the cheap cases I used
were a bit flaky while the pre-built have been rock solid and it is
actually cheaper to buy pre-built than build your own. I have 1TB Comstar
and 500GB Acomdata. Acomdata is only $89.99 for 500GB model and has both
USB 2.0 and eSATA. I see at Newegg they have a model with USB 2.0 and
Firewire too. You can also get a model with 1TB for $139.99 at neweeg
that has USB 2.0 and eSATA. Acomdata is good in my experience and I
expect cheaper than that Toshiba model you are looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822216035
0
Flat

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

how hard would it be to create a external hard drive enclosure?
Hi - I saw this article: http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/21/1836207.shtml?tid=137&tid=159&tid=186&tid=198 and it got me thinking - I mean I've seen people who interfaced AVRs, PICs and various other uCs to IDE hard drives - and certainly you can add usb and ethernet connectivity to any of these uCs - so how hard and expensive would it be to create a hard drive enclosure like this? Say - maybe one with ethernet, usb 2.0, and firewire connectivity? Seems like it could be done pretty cheaply - and a whole lot cheaper than the file server from that /. article (that one actually ...

Duplicating internal hard drive to external drive
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to purchase a higher capacity hard drive and have it replace my existing one. I would like to make a bootable copy of my existing one by using my external USB drive enclosure. My plan is to place the new drive in this enclosure and use Powerquest Drive Image 7 to copy my existing drive to the new one, then removing the existing with the new one Will this work? I know Drive Image will let me dup from internal to internal (primary to slave),but it's not clear whether I can use its copy disk option to go to an external drive...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Turn an internal iMac G3 hard drive into an external drive?
I am hopelessly ignorant when it comes to hardware... I have a perfectly good 40gig hard drive in my G3 iMac going to waste, while I'm running out of room on my G5 iMac. Is there any way to turn my G3's internal drive into an external drive for my G5? I've read about enclosures that do this in general, but is there one that would work for this specific purpose (i.e. Mac compatible, and for the G3's hard disk, more specifically)? I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have! Also, I have no idea what 'size' the G3's drive is (for example 3.5", ...

External Hard Drive Partial Failure
I own a LaCie 500GB triple interface external hard drive. I use it to backup my G4 iMac every night using SuperDuper! via Firewire. One of the two Maxtor 250GB internal drives failed. I don't want to get rid of this unit, so I'm exploring options to continue using it. If I remove the failed 250GB hard drive from the LaCie enclosure, will the unit work properly with only the remaining good 250GB hard drive in place, albeit at half of the capacity (ie. 233GB formatted)? If so, will removing the failed drive, and running only the remaining good drive in the enclosure, affect th...

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

ST3750640AS-RK Internal 3.5 Inch Hard Drive the last Seagate 750GB
Seagate company raised it's last 750GB SATA hard drive ST3750640AS-RK Internal 3.5 Inch Hard Drive which is the largest hard drive in capacity in desktop storage categories, and suitable for gamers and movies and music lover to storage what they want on it. To read more go to http://computerworld4y.blogspot.com ...

FA: External SCSI Enclosure for hard drive, optical drive, tape streamer, etc.
I've got one more item on Ebay for auction that may interest any Amiga user that has an external SCSI connection, and needs some more space to house another drive. The opening bid is only $5, and Buy It Now is only $15. This item has been used very little, and is in like-new condition. If interested, check out the URL below, and if you've got any questions, don't hesitate to email. http://cgi.ebay.com/External-SCSI-Enclosure-for-5-25-Drives-NO-Reserve_W0QQitemZ180059895186QQihZ008QQcategoryZ167QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ...

Hard Drive Dying
The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard drive to a new hard drive? Or will I have to install the new hard drive, format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch? For those of you who might think the wiser course would be to scrap the G3 altogether and move up to something newer, I feel a new hard drive would be a worthwhile fix because the rest of the computer is fine. It is mostly used for word processing, web surfing, and email, so in that respect it i...

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives
Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, I had a problem with my WD hard drive. I sent in for RMA. No problem with that. Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many allocated bad sectors. What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard drive. Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time? Frustrated wrote: > Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, ...

Enclosure kit (internal HD to external USB) questions for 30GB hard drive
I currently have a 40GB hard drive. The computer is the slim tower design and I don't see room for a 2nd hard drive unless I remove the DVD-R drive. I have an old 30GB drive from my old computer. And 70GBs would be nice. Does anyone have any recommendations on which enclosure kit (case) to buy? I think eBay had some $30 packages. Are they good? What jumper pin settings would I use (slave, master, cable select, none)? Thanks. --Tim923 On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:31:41 -0400, Tim923 <t923_1@yahoo.com> wrote: > I currently have a 40GB hard drive. The computer is the s...

Web resources about - Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure? - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Disk enclosure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A disk enclosure is essentially a specialized chassis designed to hold and power disk drives while providing a mechanism to allow them to communicate ...

Enclosure - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore mattymatt's photos on Flickr. mattymatt has uploaded 7128 photos to Flickr.

Man mauled to death by tigers after breaking into zoo enclosure
A man was mauled to death by three tigers after breaking into their enclosure at a zoo in Copenhagen, police and staff at the zoo say.

Snake escapes in Kambah after enclosure catches alight in house fire
A house fire started when a snake terrarium housing a python caught alight.

New zoo enclosure so intimate you can 'feel the hot breath of a lion against your face'
Eyeballing a cat in the morning isn’t that unusual if you’re a toddler. But eyeballing a big cat at Melbourne Zoo, well, that’s something to ...

Bull shark gets into swimming enclosure
A large shark managed to get into a swimming enclosure near a popular picnic spot on Macleay Island, off the southeast Queensland coast.

Python enclosure in N.B. boys' deaths had 'flaw'
The python that killed two young boys in Campbellton, N.B., escaped because of human error involving a missing fan in its enclosure, according ...

Tiger kills man who climbed into enclosure, New Delhi zoo says
CTV News Tiger kills man who climbed into enclosure, New Delhi zoo says CTV News NEW DELHI A white tiger killed a young man who climbed over ...

Woman enters elephant enclosure during Zoo Lights
DENVER - Denver Police said a woman who entered the elephant enclosure at the Denver Zoo during the Denver Zoo Lights event Monday night was ...

Review: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini dual-drive external enclosure with RAID
... but one 2TB drive is more useful than two 1TB ones, so I decided instead to try out OWC’s Mercury Elite Pro mini. This is an external enclosure ...