Question on DVD drives -- how to determine if it can write a DVD as storage drive

My system can play DVD's wihtout problems.

However, I'm completely at sea in trying to determine if the drive can
write a DVD blank as a storage device. Drive will easily create a
CD-ROM using the NERO software.

Is there a quick-and-easy way of determining if the drive is DVD
RW-capable?

The front door of the drive does have the DVD symbol with R/RW below
it.  This looks like a good sign but I'd like to be sure before I cough
up the cash for a spindle of DVD blanks.

Alternate question: if I use a DVD blank in a drive that is capable of
only writing CD-ROM's, is there any problem?

Reason: Local store has a Christmas spcial on 25-disk spindle of DVD
blanks -- $8Cdn, while the next bin has a 50-disk spindle of CD-ROMS
for $22Cdn.

0
byrocat
12/24/2006 12:50:26 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"byrocat" <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca> writes:
> The front door of the drive does have the DVD symbol with R/RW below
> it.  This looks like a good sign but I'd like to be sure before I cough
> up the cash for a spindle of DVD blanks.

That's a good bet, but make sure to get the correct "sign", there's
DVD+R and DVD-R which are incompatible.  Most drives these days do both
but check carefully.

> Alternate question: if I use a DVD blank in a drive that is capable of
> only writing CD-ROM's, is there any problem?

It won't work.
0
Paul
12/24/2006 1:07:15 PM
Just run Nero infotool and check the list that results.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

0
Ed
12/24/2006 7:01:31 PM
Previously byrocat <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> My system can play DVD's wihtout problems.

> However, I'm completely at sea in trying to determine if the drive can
> write a DVD blank as a storage device. Drive will easily create a
> CD-ROM using the NERO software.

> Is there a quick-and-easy way of determining if the drive is DVD
> RW-capable?

> The front door of the drive does have the DVD symbol with R/RW below
> it.  This looks like a good sign but I'd like to be sure before I cough
> up the cash for a spindle of DVD blanks.

You should be as worried about the quality of the blanks and
their compatibility with your particular writer model and
firmware....

> Alternate question: if I use a DVD blank in a drive that is capable of
> only writing CD-ROM's, is there any problem?

No. But it will not burn anything....

> Reason: Local store has a Christmas spcial on 25-disk spindle of DVD
> blanks -- $8Cdn, while the next bin has a 50-disk spindle of CD-ROMS
> for $22Cdn.

Don't put anything on these that you expect to be radable after
some time. The quality of cheap DVD writables is abysmal...

Arno

0
Arno
12/24/2006 7:08:16 PM
Ed Light wrote:
> Just run Nero infotool and check the list that results.
>

> --
> Ed Light

Thanks for the hint.

Here's what I got from the Nero InfoTool output:
Write CD-R                 : Yes
Write CD-RW                : Yes
Write DVD-R                : Yes
Write DVD-RW               : Yes
Write DVD+R                : Yes
Write DVD+RW               : Yes
Write DVD+R DL             : Yes
Write DVD-RAM              : No
Buffer Underrun Protection

                                                                  : Yes
Mount Rainier              : No
Modes                      : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO,
RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Defintiely does look like I can write DVD's.

Also, thatnks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm going to check the manufacturer label after Christmas and then
check around on the quality of the 25-disk spindle to verify if it's a
bargain or garbage.

If nothing else, I can use the spindle to check out my drive and to see
where I can read the DVD from.

I'll definitely chase down the top-quality name (any suggestions,
anyone?!) and start doing backups.

Hope that everyone has a safe, restful and peacefully-blessed Christmas.

0
byrocat
12/25/2006 3:37:54 AM
If the disks are returnable, you can test them with Nero CD-DVD Speed. You
can use Run Test/Create Data Disk to burn a disk, and then click on the Disk
Quality tab and run the test. It will give you a quality rating; some number
out of 100.

If it gets a good rating, that's still not a guarantee that other decks will
like them.
--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

0
Ed
12/25/2006 4:34:40 AM
Just looked at the Zellers Boxing Week Blowout flyer and they have an
even  better deal -- 75 DVD-R or DVD+R blanks for $20Cdn. 25-disk adn
50-disk spindle. Manufactured by Philips.

Anyone have anything to say about the brand or how to determine the
actual quality?

0
byrocat
12/26/2006 8:16:38 PM
byrocat wrote:

> Ed Light wrote:
> > Just run Nero infotool and check the list that results.
> >

> > --
> > Ed Light
> >

> Thanks for the hint.
>
> Here's what I got from the Nero InfoTool output:
> Write CD-R                 : Yes
> Write CD-RW                : Yes
> Write DVD-R                : Yes
> Write DVD-RW               : Yes
> Write DVD+R                : Yes
> Write DVD+RW               : Yes
> Write DVD+R DL             : Yes
> Write DVD-RAM              : No
> Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes

Hello, byrocat:

Too bad, about the lack of DVD-RAM support; it's the best format,
for backups.

If you use any of the others (which aren't nearly as reliable as
DVD-RAM), be sure to make more than one copy of everything. Treat
the discs very gently, and store them in a cool, dry, dark place
(as free of dust and other contaminants, as possible).

> Mount Rainier              : No
> Modes                      : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO,
> RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96
>
> Defintiely does look like I can write DVD's.
>
> Also, thatnks everyone for the suggestions.
>
> I'm going to check the manufacturer label after Christmas and then
> check around on the quality of the 25-disk spindle to verify if it's a
> bargain or garbage.
>
> If nothing else, I can use the spindle to check out my drive and to see
> where I can read the DVD from.
>
> I'll definitely chase down the top-quality name (any suggestions,
> anyone?!) and start doing backups.

It's hard to say, as there's only a relative handful of actual
manufacturers of optical media. Other companies merely relabel
the products, and then distribute them under numerous brand names.

(This situation is far less true of DVD-RAM, incidentally.)

> Hope that everyone has a safe, restful and peacefully-blessed Christmas.

I hope that you had a nice Christmas, too, and will have an
even better New Year's Day!

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
0
John
12/28/2006 4:43:53 AM
byrocat wrote:

> Just looked at the Zellers Boxing Week Blowout flyer and they have an
> even  better deal -- 75 DVD-R or DVD+R blanks for $20Cdn. 25-disk adn
> 50-disk spindle. Manufactured by Philips.
>
> Anyone have anything to say about the brand or how to determine the
> actual quality?

Hello, byrocat:

Philips - like the vast majority of firms, selling optical media -
doesn't really make the discs, which bear its name. Therefore, it
could switch suppliers, at any time, without your knowledge. This
makes it a bit difficult to settle on any particular brand, for
long-term dependability.

Also, individual "burners" can be more or less compatible with certain
blanks. That further clouds the issue -- and hence, it may be a good
idea to experiment, using smaller samples of various vendors' offerings,
before buying the larger "spindles."

Good luck and happy hunting!

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
0
John
12/28/2006 4:43:55 AM
Previously John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
> byrocat wrote:
>>
>> Just looked at the Zellers Boxing Week Blowout flyer and they have an
>> even  better deal -- 75 DVD-R or DVD+R blanks for $20Cdn. 25-disk adn
>> 50-disk spindle. Manufactured by Philips.
>>
>> Anyone have anything to say about the brand or how to determine the
>> actual quality?

> Hello, byrocat:

> Philips - like the vast majority of firms, selling optical media -
> doesn't really make the discs, which bear its name. Therefore, it
> could switch suppliers, at any time, without your knowledge. This
> makes it a bit difficult to settle on any particular brand, for
> long-term dependability.

> Also, individual "burners" can be more or less compatible with certain
> blanks. That further clouds the issue -- and hence, it may be a good
> idea to experiment, using smaller samples of various vendors' offerings,
> before buying the larger "spindles."

> Good luck and happy hunting!

It DVD-writable really is a mess. Difficult to figure out, and
if you are unlucky, they change the disks on you right after
you found some that work well. Also completely impossible
to predict long-term stability with such a moving target.

Arno
0
Arno
12/28/2006 11:39:54 AM
Thanks everyone!

I fired up Nero's quickstart utility, set it to DVD and tried burning a
disk at 16x. Died!

Burned the same files at 8X without errors.

Tried a second disk creation at 12X.

I'll park the data  DVDs in a safe container in paper envelopes.  Been
downloading a lot of items off of the internet plus what I've received
as attahments on e-mails and want to have a back-up. Yes, have had a
drive die and lost a lot of items.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!

Hope that the season has been good to you and yours, regardless of
faith background.

0
byrocat
12/29/2006 3:22:05 AM
byrocat wrote:

> Thanks everyone!
>
> I fired up Nero's quickstart utility, set it to DVD and tried burning a
> disk at 16x. Died!
>
> Burned the same files at 8X without errors.
>
> Tried a second disk creation at 12X.

Hello, byrocat:

Oh, I forgot about that, in my previous responses. It's better to "burn"
at slower speeds, to help ensure successful recordings.

> I'll park the data  DVDs in a safe container in paper envelopes.  Been
> downloading a lot of items off of the internet plus what I've received
> as attahments on e-mails and want to have a back-up. Yes, have had a
> drive die and lost a lot of items.
>
> Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!

You should also consider an external hard disk, as an extra layer of
backup redundancy. Other than MOD (magneto-optical) and DVD-RAM, I
wouldn't trust any optical medium, entirely.

> Hope that the season has been good to you and yours, regardless of
> faith background.

Happy New Year!

Cordially,
           John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
0
John

media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly?
Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002 pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6 (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using...

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ? David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote > Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? Few are. > A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ? Presumably someone is getting rid of DVD readers that are pretty useless now with DVD writers so cheap now. David D. wrote: > > Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? > > A DVD writer is also able to read DVD di...

My DVD Drive wont read DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Hi Chaps... Sorry if this is a bit of a long winded post... I have an Acer Aspire 1670 Lap Top fitted with a Pioneer DVD drive model DVR-K14RA. This drive is compatible with DVD-R/RW and DVD +R/RW. My problem is this.. When I load a DVD-RW that has a file on it into the computer and go to My Computer in Windows XP it shows that there is a DVD in the PC but doesnt show how much free space is on it. I use an NIT DVD maker programme to burn onto the DVD-RW. Even odder is that if I keep the disc in the PC it will show that it has a file on it when I view the drive in my computer. If...

[OT] IBM Mainframe Storage
So here's the situation... case upon case of 9-track tape reels, taking up space and incurring storage costs. Someone suggests transferring them to DVD... is there such a thing as a mainframe DVD-jukebox? If so, where might such a thing be researched? A Google search on "mainframe DVD drive" yields zero hits while '"DVD drive" mainframe' yields over 8,000 pages. DD docdwarf@panix.com wrote: > So here's the situation... case upon case of 9-track tape reels, taking up > space and incurring storage costs. > > Someone suggests transferri...

dvd drive driving me crazy
Hi I have got a scsi dvd drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401) which after a year started the very stupid behaviour of opening and closing its drawer several (up to 10 ) times most times it is being accessed before finally being able to read the dvd/cd inserted or even when booting being empty. For some reason it seems it cannot identify what is in the drive or even if there is something in the drive straight away. No big problem, I must admit but still quite annoying. I once opened the drive and cleaned it which seemed to solve the problem for a couple of weeks. But I am not in the mood of...

Why no boot DVD from DVD drive?
My problem: I cannot boot a liveDVD (or any other bootable DVD) from my Sony Vaio P4 box, despite it having a both a DVD and CD-ROM player and with the AwardBIOS 2.3 configed to boot from the DVD player. Why? Live and bootable CDs boot, no problem, from either disc player. But, DVDs, nada. It's not the DVDs, which are burned from .iso via K3B. Not even factory burned DVDs will boot. Settings on Award boot for this drive are: Secondary Master DW-U12A Type Auto PIO Mode 4 UltraDMA Mode 2 spec according to latest lshw: *-firmware descripti...

Can I use slower DVD-RW disk on a 8X DVD-RW drive?
Can I use a 2.4X DVD-RW disk on an 8X DVD-RW drive? And, if so, do I have to tell the DVD drive software that I'm using the slower disk, or can it figure it out itself? Thanks, Don ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:23:28 -0700, Don <no@adr.com> wrote: >Can I use a 2.4X DVD-RW disk on an 8X DVD-RW drive? And, if so, do I have >to tell ...

Laptop with drive that can WRITE to DVD-RAM discs
Is there a laptop computer with a drive that can write to all DVD formats including DVD-RAM discs? I have an LG drive in my desktop computer that can do this. Thank you in advance for all replies. -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!" On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:44:27 -0700, Daniel Prince <neutrino1@ca.rr.com> wrote: :>Is there a laptop computer with a drive that can write to all DVD :>formats including DVD-RAM discs? I have...

Can you watch DVD's with iMac Blue Dalmation and FW DVD drive
Hi all, I was wondering whether it is possible to watch DVD's on the iMac(600Mhz Blue Dalmation with CDRW)when it is hooked up via firewire cable to a DVD drive in a firewire case. I know it's probably a very simple question, but the only information I can find is about iMac DV and not iMacs with CDRW. Thanks for your time Regards Mark ...

Can't read burned my CD-Rs and DVD-Rs in an older DVD-ROM drive?
Hello! In end of 2008, I got a new Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220S and upgraded its firmware to v1.01. I burned datas (tried full and sessions, and even from DVD sized ISOs) or copy full discs to new blank Memorex 52X CD-Rs and 8X DVD-Rs without any problems (even used simulation and verifications to play safe) in both Nero Express Essentials SE v8.3.13.0 and StarBurn v11 softwares. I put the freshly burned discs into an old Toshiba DVD-ROM Drive SD-M1912/TMAG 16X/48 (firmware TM00) and it can't read the discs (light blink forever and updated Windows XP Pro. SP3's ...

Can't read burned my CD-Rs and DVD-Rs in an older DVD-ROM drive?
Hello! In end of 2008, I got a new Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220S and upgraded its firmware to v1.01. I burned datas (tried full and sessions, and even from DVD sized ISOs) or copy full discs to new blank Memorex 52X CD-Rs and 8X DVD-Rs without any problems (even used simulation and verifications to play safe) in both Nero Express Essentials SE v8.3.13.0 and StarBurn v11 softwares. I put the freshly burned discs into an old Toshiba DVD-ROM Drive SD-M1912/TMAG 16X/48 (firmware TM00) and it can't read the discs (light blink forever and updated Windows XP Pro. SP3's ...

DVD Player with external dvd drive?
Is it possible to use DVD Player.app on a machine that has a firewire dvd drive but not an internal dvd drive? I can't seem to get this to work. The application quits immediately because it says it can't find a valid dvd drive. The dvd volume mounts properly, the Finder displays it on the desktop, the contents are just as they should be. So at that level the external drive is working just fine with osx. Also, if I plug this drive into a machine that also has an internal dvd drive, DVD Player.app is happy to use the firewire drive for dvd playback. So DVD Player _can_ talk to exter...

DVD drive shows up as CD drive
I daresay this has come up before and maybe someone can direct me to a more appropriate forum if they don't know the answer. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 which came with a CD drive. I replaced that drive with a DVD recordable drive manufactured by Philips. For a long time it worked without a hitch, but now it shows up as a CD-recordable drive and the software won't let me copy DVDs. There is no way - that I can find - to select a different driver for it, one that is suitable for a DVD recorder. I would guess that the solution may involve tweaking the registry in some ...

How DVD readable drives to copy a dvd?
Basic question, ho many DVD-enabled drives do I need to copy a dvd. Can i Just use thedvdrw drive, or do I need another separate DVD drive to copy? edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0405250145.68f63c67@posting.google.com>... > Basic question, ho many DVD-enabled drives do I need to copy a dvd. > Can i Just use thedvdrw drive, or do I need another separate DVD drive > to copy? This is more a software issue. If your software allows imaging (most do), then you can copy DVD image onto harddrive, and then burn that to disc. Of course, this should be...

Web resources about - Question on DVD drives -- how to determine if it can write a DVD as storage drive - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Five points determine a conic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Euclidean, non-projective geometry , just as two (distinct) points determine a line (a degree-1 plane curve), five points determine a conic ...

SocialCode Studies Top 500 Facebook Pages To Determine Best Practices For Engagement
... provider SocialCode examined engagement with Facebook posts from the social network’s top 500 pages from Aug. 1 through Oct. 20 to determine, ...

Facebook uses random sampling to determine app ratings and avoid manipulation
With its new App Center , Facebook ranks applications by star ratings, but unlike Apple and Android’s app platforms, the social network relies ...

Twitter Blog: Let your Tweets determine the 2012 Sprite Slam Dunk champi
Twitter Blog Let your Tweets determine the 2012 Sprite Slam Dunk champion 3366100333679041124 Thursday, February 23, 2012 This Saturday, four ...

How does the NYT determine which articles have comments? - Quora
On the The New York Times website, some articles have comment sections, and others don't. It seems like in general higher profile articles have ...

How to determine what Herbs and Spices go best with what dishes - YouTube
Grandma Storn's Herb Wheel is the essential tool for cooking delicious, healthy meals using Herbs and Spices!

Spring, spin and swing: Five factors to determine the 2015 Ashes
Osman Samiuddin cites the state of English pitches and spin effectiveness as among his five factors that will decide the 2015 Ashes series.

Embattled destroyer project to determine fate of local shipbuilding
The Abbott government has announced a rejig of the troubled Air Warfare Destroyer project that will serve as a test case for the future of naval ...

NSW election: small parties will determine who will be Premier
In 2011, voters brought about the political evisceration of the ALP after 16 long years in government. We witnessed some of the biggest swings ...

NFL, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans: Jarryd Hayne’s key dates to determine NFL future, starting ...
JARRYD Hayne will take his first competitive snap against NFL opposition this Sunday at 10am (AEST) when the San Francisco 49ers take on the ...