question on external drives/drive enclosures

I'm think of getting a USB or firewire drive, or converting an existing
drive to an external one by getting an external enclosure.  I have two
questions: 1 - Does external drive support multiple partitions?  2 - Are
the disk partitions/formats interchangeable between external and
internal?  I.e. if the external enclosure is fried but the disk is
intact can I connect it to an internal IDE channel and be able to see my
files?

Thanks!
0
Clamshell
2/1/2004 2:09:55 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Clamshell <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I'm think of getting a USB or firewire drive, or converting an existing
> drive to an external one by getting an external enclosure.  I have
> two questions: 1 - Does external drive support multiple partitions?

Yes.

> 2 - Are the disk partitions/formats interchangeable
> between external and internal?  I.e. if the external
> enclosure is fried but the disk is intact can I connect it
> to an internal IDE channel and be able to see my files?

Usually, but that depends on the bridge used in the external enclosure.
So best to check that that works before the internal drive dies.

0
Rod
2/1/2004 8:22:12 PM
"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bvjn5m$t4bf4$1@ID-69072.news.uni-berlin.de
> Clamshell <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:401d08a8$0$2682$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
>
> > I'm think of getting a USB or firewire drive, or converting an existing
> > drive to an external one by getting an external enclosure.  I have
> > two questions: 1 - Does external drive support multiple partitions?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2 - Are the disk partitions/formats interchangeable
> > between external and internal?  I.e. if the external
> > enclosure is fried but the disk is intact can I connect it
> > to an internal IDE channel and be able to see my files?
>
> Usually, but that depends on the bridge used in the external enclosure.

ROTFLOL!

> So best to check that that works before the internal drive dies.
0
Folkert