re-use WD external USB drive?

I have a WD 80GB external USB hard drive. I believe it contains a 3.5"
IDE hard drive. I was wondering if I could take it apart and easily
replace the internal hard drive with another internal hard drive. I
think the basic issue is whether the housing has the standard IDE data
connector and power cable, or do they direct solder those on, so that
it is not really replaceable?

0
Bucky
3/19/2007 7:53:56 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Previously Bucky <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:
> I have a WD 80GB external USB hard drive. I believe it contains a 3.5"
> IDE hard drive. I was wondering if I could take it apart and easily
> replace the internal hard drive with another internal hard drive. I
> think the basic issue is whether the housing has the standard IDE data
> connector and power cable, or do they direct solder those on, so that
> it is not really replaceable?

No. The issue is whether the firmware in the interface allows you to
use a different drive.

Arno
0
Arno
3/19/2007 9:17:59 PM
"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message news:1174334036.059453.224030@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com
> I have a WD 80GB external USB hard drive. I believe it contains a 3.5"
> IDE hard drive. I was wondering if I could take it apart and easily
> replace the internal hard drive with another internal hard drive.

> I think the basic issue is whether the housing has the standard IDE data
> connector and power cable, or do they direct solder those on, so that
> it is not really replaceable?

Where would the savings be.
Personally I would be rather more concerned with a Vendor lock.
(that's not to say that it has one)
0
Folkert
3/19/2007 9:41:30 PM
> No. The issue is whether the firmware in the interface allows you to
> use a different drive.

darn. thanks for the reply.

0
Bucky
3/19/2007 9:48:10 PM
On Mar 19, 2:41 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply...@myweb.nl> wrote:
> Where would the savings be.

avoid buying another enclosure.

0
Bucky
3/20/2007 7:21:28 AM
On 2007-03-20 08:21, Bucky wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2:41 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply...@myweb.nl> wrote:
>> Where would the savings be.
>
> avoid buying another enclosure.

Either you already have - or plan to buy - another drive, to put in the
new enclosure; so why not try the new drive in the old enclosure anyway?

If it works, then you are fine. If not, go buy a new encosure.

/Rolf
0
Rolf
3/20/2007 12:46:02 PM
Previously Rolf Blom <all.spam@round.bin> wrote:
> On 2007-03-20 08:21, Bucky wrote:
>> On Mar 19, 2:41 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply...@myweb.nl> wrote:
>>> Where would the savings be.
>>
>> avoid buying another enclosure.
>>

> Either you already have - or plan to buy - another drive, to put in the
> new enclosure; so why not try the new drive in the old enclosure anyway?

> If it works, then you are fine. If not, go buy a new encosure.

Wpuld be my advice also. Make sure the drive not only
works, but stays reasonably cool (still comfotable to
touch after a few hours of operation).

Arno
0
Arno
3/20/2007 1:16:34 PM
"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message news:1174375288.891554.65490@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com
> On Mar 19, 2:41 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply...@myweb.nl> wrote:
> > Where would the savings be.
>
> avoid buying another enclosure.

Better write to the manufacturers then that they are doing it
all wrong: that they should solder their drives in permanently.

(Next time, leave enough context so it's clear to anyone that
you completely misunderstood the (rethorical) question).

(Like the original message was more than a screen full and needed snipping).
0
Folkert
3/20/2007 5:40:30 PM
"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:56a55iF288sqvU1@mid.individual.net
> Previously Rolf Blom <all.spam@round.bin> wrote:
> > >
> > > avoid buying another enclosure.
> > >

> > Either you already have - or plan to buy - another drive,

> > to put in the new enclosure;

What new enclosure?
That's what you get with answering to a snippet of quoting, completely out of context.

> so why not try the new drive in the old enclosure anyway?

What new drive?
Buying a new drive depends on what answer he gets concerning the possibility
of re-using the existing enclosure. If not, there may not be one. Chicken-egg.

> > If it works, then you are fine.

> If not, go buy a new encosure.

Did you even consider that he might not want to do that?
That he might want a ready made solution if the cheaper option doesn't work?

> Wpuld be my advice also.

Another brainfarct, babblebot?

> Make sure the drive not only works,

Whoa, that one is steep.
I have to think that over a few hours, to have that sink in.

> but stays reasonably cool (still comfotable
> to touch after a few hours of operation).
>
> Arno
0
Folkert

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

mounting a USB drive (Re: mount usb drive)
i've described how i do this using an encrypted USB keydevice here: http://monkey.org/~jose/blog//viewpage.php?page=usb_confidential basically on my thinkpad it showed up as /dev/sd1i and as an MSDOS filesystem (normal USB key from a PC manufacturer). hope this helps, jose nazario, ph.d. co-author, "Secure Architectures with OpenBSD" ...

Anyone using rsnapshot with external USB drive? Or SDLT 800 tape drives on CentOS 5?
I'm looking at an rsnapshot backup situation, and rather than buying a big chunk of high-speed, expensive, server class storage, I'm wondering about simply using external USB's and buying several. It's clearly technically feasible: I've been doing so for months, for FTP mirror material. Has anyone done it in a vaguely high performance configuration? Updating about 200 GB of new database material daily, and backing it up to tape? How is the transfer speed on a modest, 2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM server with normal USB 2.0 and a normal tape drive, such as an SDLT 800? In...

Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & Maxtor Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & MaxtorOne-Touch harddrive)
I'm running Redhat 9 linux on my Toshiba 3500 tablet. Besides the fact that the IR , MM/SD, and the digitizer/pen aren't working, now the laptop will drop the usb connection after a couple minutes of reading files from it. Attempting to remount the partitition (after a umount) results in an invalid device error. The error is repeated whether I use kernel 2.4.20-8, 2.4.20-27.9, 2.4.20-28.9, or a custom kernel. Any suggestions? dmesg excerpts follow. Lin...

Using external USB drives with Linux
I am currently running Fedora Core 3 and want to upgrade to FC 6. I am contenplating getting an external USB (or firewire) drive for backup during the upgrade (and for general backup use). I understand that some external drives come formatted NTFS, but I can deal with that. I would reformat it, probably as vfat, so I could also use it for backup under Windows. As long as my system recognizes the sdisk as a mass storage device, I know what to do. Are there any other potential problems. Are some drives recognizable only by Windows? I am considering an Iomega drive. Any comments ab...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB...

Re: install SL to USB external drive?
Thanks for your replies. here are things I was assuming, discovered and confirmed by your answers please correct me if I'm wrong but no need to repeat - there's sometimes a delay between what I post and when I can read replies - snow leopard will install to and boot from an external usb hard drive formatted as mac os extended partition with a partition scheme of GUID partition table. the install disc will be run from the internal combo drive on a MacBook2,1 according to my research, the MacBook2,1 will allow booting into 64-bit kernel and will run 64-bit pro...

SOLVED
Quite a while ago I made a post about my trouble with formatting a MacAlly external USB drive containing a Western Digital SATA disk. I also was having trouble keeping access going to that unit, and I returned the enclosure. Someone on a web forum suggested that I try NexStar enclosures instead. I did that, and it seemed to work with drives I'd already formatted. In the last couple of days I've formatted a couple partitions each via the eSATA and USB ports on my new Vantec NexStar 300SU enclosure. I gotta say it works very well. I'm happy now. -- PLEASE post a...

EXternal storage. (was Flash drive and STD USB)
In message <6c55470a4d.news@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > In message <2359460a4d.Alan.Adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk> > Alan Adams <alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > > > In message <c1e03c0a4d.news@itworkshop.invalid> > > Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > > In message <63ae360a4d.Alan.Adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk> > > > Alan Adams <alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > > > &g...

How To Reformat an External USB Drive (Firelite XPress Portable USB Hard Drive, 60 GB)
Apparently this drive comes formatted with the VFAT file system. Does anyone know how I could reformat it with ext3? -- % Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you, %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do, %%% 919-577-9882 % but she is an IBM." %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO http://www.digitalsignallabs.com On 26 Oct 2007 at 13:03, Randy Yates wrote: > Apparently this drive comes formatted with the VFAT file system. Does &g...

Large file corruption using external USB drive
I'm having problems with my newly bought Xcraft RX-3HU USB2 enclosure. I fitted a new Seagate 250GB Ultra ATA100 hard drive (ST 3250820A). My system runs WinXP SP2 and the USB2 is integral to the motherboard. On boot XP sees the drive fine. I fdisked and formated the drive (NTFS). I can copy files to and from the drive. The problem occurs when I copy large files over. I used the included P&G software at first but wanted more flexibility so used Ghost V9 (and 10) and also tried Acronis True Image (V9). Both failed on backup saying the backup on the Xcraft USB drive was co...

Using an external USB hard drive with OS X
I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD. They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be fornatted NTFS,. Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ? If so how did you format it ? navti <navtis@gmail.com> writes: > I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD. > They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be > fornatted NTFS,. The Mac shoudl mount it up and it should be usable directly, though performance would be much better if (a) you reformatted to HFS+ and (b) if you used Firewi...

Using an external USB 2.0 Drive as the scratch disk
In response to a previous thread (which I can't seem to reply to). I found using an external USB 2.0 drive (2/ 250gb Maxtor 7200RPM) to be slower than using the startup drive even on my latptop (Dell Latitude C640, 80GB 5400 RPM). PS7 Gussian Blur 4.0 pixels on a 6000 x 4000 photo. 141 secs (USB 2 Drive) 110 secs (C Drive) Hope this helps. In article <81c31ab3.0408281614.fe56b0b@posting.google.com>, Tommy@Lumika.org says... > >In response to a previous thread (which I can't seem to reply to). I >found using an external USB 2.0 drive (2/ 250gb Maxtor 7200RPM) to be...

Web resources about - re-use WD external USB drive? - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...