Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files

I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file
from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes
forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will
take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent
size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the
transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer
with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Is there a problem with
the Simpletech, possibly? I don't see why the copy/move is so different
in terms of time depending on the type of file.

Thanks.

0
latichever
7/9/2005 1:40:48 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

latichever@hotmail.com wrote:

> I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
> problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file
> from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes
> forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will
> take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent
> size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the
> transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer
> with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue.

> Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Most likely a problem with a particular USB port. Can you try another ?

> Is there a problem with the Simpletech, possibly?

The check for that would be to try the Simpletech on the
other PC which works fine with a different USB drive.

> I don't see why the copy/move is so different
> in terms of time depending on the type of file.

You can get quirks like that with some USB ports.
That appears to be mostly a driver issue, but no
one who has got an effect like that has tried that
possibility carefully, a clean OS install and a careful
and systematic use of drivers to see what the problem is.

You also dont say what OS you are running, some of the
dinosaurs like 98 can have a problem because of the need
for drivers which means you need to use what the drive
manufacturer supplys. And XP needs a patch applied for USB2.

0
Rod
7/9/2005 6:47:38 PM
thanks. I sheepishly confess I was worried about the particular USB
port. It hadn't been in use and I'm not sure I got all the dust out of
it. I will try another and report back. It's just such a mess in back
of the computer, with wires and all, that once I get something
installed, I'm loath to mess with it but I will

I'm using XP on both computer. What do you mean by USB patch for xp?
I'd do that but I'd hate to do a clean install. None of my other usb
devices seem to have a problem.

Rod Speed wrote:
> latichever@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
> > problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file
> > from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes
> > forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will
> > take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent
> > size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the
> > transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer
> > with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue.
>
> > Anybody have any idea what might be going on?
>
> Most likely a problem with a particular USB port. Can you try another ?
>
> > Is there a problem with the Simpletech, possibly?
>
> The check for that would be to try the Simpletech on the
> other PC which works fine with a different USB drive.
>
> > I don't see why the copy/move is so different
> > in terms of time depending on the type of file.
>
> You can get quirks like that with some USB ports.
> That appears to be mostly a driver issue, but no
> one who has got an effect like that has tried that
> possibility carefully, a clean OS install and a careful
> and systematic use of drivers to see what the problem is.
>
> You also dont say what OS you are running, some of the
> dinosaurs like 98 can have a problem because of the need
> for drivers which means you need to use what the drive
> manufacturer supplys. And XP needs a patch applied for USB2.

0
latichever
7/9/2005 9:59:47 PM
latichever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
> problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file
> size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the

You said...

1) a 2 gigabyte mpeg file (= singular)
vs
2) (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files (= plural)

Perhaps this difference has a lot to do with it. How much memory do you have
in your PC?
Try comparing _a_ 256MByte mpg file with _a_ 256M Word file.

What do you think Rod?

Colin

0
CWatters
7/9/2005 10:13:45 PM
Actually, dust was not the problem. I tried several ports and got the
message that "a high speed mass storage device was plugged into a
non-high speed port, click the message for more info." But when I click
it, it shows me a list of usb ports and says they're high speed. I go
to device manager and everything is listed as ok. I hope this is not a
problem with a nighmarish solution. I'll call Dell and see what they
have to say. But do you have nay ideas? What about that USB2 patch you
spoke about. Thanks.

0
latichever
7/9/2005 10:20:47 PM
I've done a tad of research and I've noticed that some people may have
this problem in XP when their bios is set to "legacy" rather than
"high-speed." When I have a chance I'll check that.

0
latichever
7/9/2005 11:05:24 PM
latichever@hotmail.com wrote:

> thanks. I sheepishly confess I was worried about the particular USB
> port. It hadn't been in use and I'm not sure I got all the dust out of
> it. I will try another and report back. It's just such a mess in back
> of the computer, with wires and all, that once I get something
> installed, I'm loath to mess with it but I will

It wont be dust, but its still worth trying another.

> I'm using XP on both computer. What do you mean by USB patch for xp?
> I'd do that but I'd hate to do a clean install. None of my other usb
> devices seem to have a problem.

You dont need to do a clean install, just apply the relevant update.

Go to the Windows update site http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
check for updates. It will offer you the update if your system needs that.

> Rod Speed wrote:
>> latichever@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
>>> problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg
>>> file from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes
>>> forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will
>>> take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent
>>> size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the
>>> transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer
>>> with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue.
>>
>>> Anybody have any idea what might be going on?
>>
>> Most likely a problem with a particular USB port. Can you try
>> another ?
>>
>>> Is there a problem with the Simpletech, possibly?
>>
>> The check for that would be to try the Simpletech on the
>> other PC which works fine with a different USB drive.
>>
>>> I don't see why the copy/move is so different
>>> in terms of time depending on the type of file.
>>
>> You can get quirks like that with some USB ports.
>> That appears to be mostly a driver issue, but no
>> one who has got an effect like that has tried that
>> possibility carefully, a clean OS install and a careful
>> and systematic use of drivers to see what the problem is.
>>
>> You also dont say what OS you are running, some of the
>> dinosaurs like 98 can have a problem because of the need
>> for drivers which means you need to use what the drive
>> manufacturer supplys. And XP needs a patch applied for USB2.

0
Rod
7/9/2005 11:10:01 PM
latichever@hotmail.com wrote:

> Actually, dust was not the problem.

Yeah, it wouldnt be that.

> I tried several ports and got the message that
> "a high speed mass storage device was plugged into a
> non-high speed port, click the message for more info."

Not all USB ports are USB2.

> But when I click it, it shows me a list of usb ports and says they're
> high speed. I go to device manager and everything is listed as ok.
> I hope this is not a problem with a nighmarish solution.

Nar, its readily fixable.

> I'll call Dell and see what they have to say. But do you have nay ideas?

I'd apply the Microsoft USB2 update if the Windows Update site offers
it and wouldnt bother with Dell unless there is still a problem after that.

> What about that USB2 patch you spoke about.

See the other post.

0
Rod
7/9/2005 11:12:58 PM
CWatters <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:
> latichever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd
>> problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg
>> file size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the
>
> You said...
>
> 1) a 2 gigabyte mpeg file (= singular)
> vs
> 2) (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files (= plural)
>
> Perhaps this difference has a lot to do with it. How much memory do
> you have in your PC?
> Try comparing _a_ 256MByte mpg file with _a_ 256M Word file.

> What do you think Rod?

I assumed he meant he doesnt see the problem
with any other 2 gigabyte non mpeg file.

The time is still much too long with a 2GB mpeg file.

And he doesnt see the problem on another PC.

0
Rod

Hard Drive Dying
The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard drive to a new hard drive? Or will I have to install the new hard drive, format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch? For those of you who might think the wiser course would be to scrap the G3 altogether and move up to something newer, I feel a new hard drive would be a worthwhile fix because the rest of the computer is fine. It is mostly used for word processing, web surfing, and email, so in that respect it i...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives
Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, I had a problem with my WD hard drive. I sent in for RMA. No problem with that. Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many allocated bad sectors. What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard drive. Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time? Frustrated wrote: > Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, ...

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

8668c hard drive is dead, wont accept any other hard drive
we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing more, nothing less. i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that flashing dot again should i use only WD or what is the problem exactly??? one more question, i tried to take that WD off the case to send it for warranty but it sounded like escaping from jail is much easier, the screws r soldered into the sheets and i cant it off, any help with t...

hard drive power sequencer, hard drive startup sequencer
Does anyone make a power sequencer that could be used to startup hard drives sequentially rather than all at once? I'd like to put 4 HDs in my PC, and I don't want to load the power supply with spinning up all 4 HDs at the same time. *TimDaniels* For IDE drives? Nope, can't be done. They only draw 2A @ 12v, so you only need a 250W power supply. "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:BfidnXwxc52mqciiXTWJkw@comcast.com... | Does anyone make a power sequencer that | could be used to startup hard drives sequentially | rathe...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

Hard drives for an A4000 and file transfer
I just got hold of one and I was wondering what I could do about putting a better hard disk in it. As far as I can tell, it's got the original 80MB disk in it. Is there a good place to get suitable drives, or what sort of disk should I be looking for? While I'm at it, is there a good program to transfer files to the A4000 using a serial cable? I only ask as I'm having trouble tracking down the information myself. Nathan In my haste I forgot to mention that I want to transfer to and from a PC... On 13 Dec 2004 06:18:11 -0800, "Nathan" <scumble@scumble.net> wrote...

Replacing a boot hard drive A with another hard drive A', while preserving the data in A
I have a Linux box L with three hard drives, A, B and C. B and C contain just user data, whereas all the OS data (that is, things like /usr, /etc, /boot etc.) lives in A. I would like to replace A with an all new hard drive A'. What is the least painful way of achieving this? In an ideal world what I'd like to do is the following: 1) Install A' in some other Linux box L' that is accessible from L by NFS. 2) Replicate A on A' over the NFS. (How's this done, by the way?) 3) Replace A with A'. That is, remove A from L, and A' from L'; install A&#...

Help
My sys is running under XP SP2 & Athlon 2000. Currently the system recognizes all 4 hard drives and their associated partitions. I loaded XP onto a backup Hard Drive, leaving the remaining 3 data drives as they were. Booting up with the new drive, all drives are see by BIOS as the system boots. Windowz see two drives properly (disk 1 (Logical G & H) & 2 (Logical C)), but does not see disk 3 (Logical E) at all and doesn't see the partition data on disk 0 (Logical D & F). If I swap back to my original "C" drive (disk 2), all of the remaining driv...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

Web resources about - Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Charge-transfer complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A charge-transfer complex ( CT complex ) or electron-donor-acceptor complex is an association of two or more molecules , or of different parts ...

Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ...
90min Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ... 90min Hammers co-chairman David Sullivan told Sky ...

Future iPhones may contain Li-Fi, a technology with transfer speeds 100x faster than Wi-Fi
Recently discovered code in iOS suggests that Apple may be exploring the feasibility of incorporating Li-Fi functionality into future iPhone ...

White House Still Alleging Pentagon Is Slowing Gitmo Transfers, SecDef Denies It
White House Still Alleging Pentagon Is Slowing Gitmo Transfers, SecDef Denies It

Read The Leaked Transfer Agreement Between Manchester United And Monaco For Anthony Martial
Manchester United paid Monaco €50 million ($54.5 million) in September for teenage striking sensation Anthony Martial, a fee that will almost ...

Premier League clubs could face FIFA transfer ban Real chief - ESPN FC
Real Madrid director general Jose Angel Sanchez has claimed that FIFA is looking into Premier League clubs over transfer breaches.

Mobile Technology Could Ease Frustration With Money Transfers
More than 83 percent of Amdocs survey respondents showed a strong willingness to use their mobile phone as a means of sending money internationally. ...

Bitcoin Company Guarantees Financial Transactions, Effectively Enabling Instant Transfers
BitGo's guarantee of funds could be a boon to traders as well as merchants selling digital products.

Dan River Region real estate transfers
Dan River Region real estate transfers GoDanRiver.com Nancy Pretty Farley and Mary Beth Pretty Sullivan to Richard J. Pretty, 2/3 interest ...

Manchester United Transfer Deal For Anthony Martial With AS Monaco Leaked
... this sport,” and also showed his determination to bring what’s behind the shadow to limelight. The full details of Anthony Martial’s transfer ...