Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives

Now....I just remembered something.  A while ago, I had a problem with
my WD hard drive.  I sent in for RMA.  No problem with that.

Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many allocated
bad sectors.

What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used
a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard
drive.

Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and
this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time?

0
Frustrated
6/28/2009 12:25:53 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Frustrated wrote:

> Now....I just remembered something.  A while ago, I had a problem
> with my WD hard drive.  I sent in for RMA.  No problem with that.

> Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many
> allocated bad sectors.

> What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used
> a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard drive.

> Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues
> and this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time?

No, that shouldnt produce reallocated sectors.

It might well have been the problem with the seek error rate and the Hardware ECC Recovered.

0
Rod
6/28/2009 4:05:52 AM
Frustrated <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Now....I just remembered something.  A while ago, I had a problem with
> my WD hard drive.  I sent in for RMA.  No problem with that.

> Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many allocated
> bad sectors.

> What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used
> a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard
> drive.

> Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and
> this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time?

Possible. Another common link would be the PSU.
Rough handling can cause the same problem.

Arno
0
Arno
6/28/2009 8:48:08 AM
> Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and
> this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time?

The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
I think you should cool the upper side.... :)

--
   @~@   Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and
>> this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time?

> The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
> I think you should cool the upper side.... :)

Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
whilc the top side does not.

Arno
0
Arno
6/28/2009 1:58:08 PM
> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
> whilc the top side does not.

Thanks. But doing so would blow dust directly over the circuit board.
Also, some hard disks have a slid under the disk to protect their
circuit boards.

--
   @~@   Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04)  Linux 2.6.30
   ^ ^   10:08:01 up 1 day 17:47 1 user load average: 5.33 4.76 3.12
Man
6/30/2009 2:09:22 AM
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>> whilc the top side does not.

> Thanks. But doing so would blow dust directly over the circuit board.

The dus does only matter insofar as it creates thermal insulation.
That is why you should clean your computer occasionally.

> Also, some hard disks have a slid under the disk to protect their
> circuit boards.

Historically, yes. I have not seen any of these for quite a while.

Arno

> --
>   @~@   Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
>  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04)  Linux 2.6.30
>   ^ ^   10:08:01 up 1 day 17:47 1 user load average: 5.33 4.76 3.12
> ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa
0
Arno
6/30/2009 10:20:43 AM
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:h2bsa3$o90$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>> whilc the top side does not.
>
> Thanks. But doing so would blow dust directly over the circuit board.
> Also, some hard disks have a slid under the disk to protect their circuit
> boards.

The part of a hard disk that usually fails from overheating
is the circuit board, so you want to cool it as directly as
possible. Also, all the mechanical components are mounted
on the aluminum chassis. The top cover is only a shell.
Air flow over the cover will have some cooling effect, but
way less than air flow over the bottom.  I have yet to see
dust build up on a hard drive.  Dust tends to build up on
edges, rather than flat surfaces.  That's why fan blades and
heatsink fins collect dust.

0
Ian
6/30/2009 3:37:48 PM
On 30-Jun-2009, "Ian D" <taurus@nowhereatall.com> wrote:

> The part of a hard disk that usually fails from overheating
> is the circuit board,

Don't forget the head driver chips..
0
Ato_Zee
6/30/2009 4:38:57 PM
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

> The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
> I think you should cool the upper side.... :)

If your pC has good air circulation you don't need any dedicated cooling
for the HDDs at all. I've never used them and have never had issues with
  heat and HDDs either. I have 3 HDDs in my main PC and heat is just not
a problem because that PC has good air circulation. People with loads of
fans in their cases are just attacking the issue from the wrong angle
and is overkill.

First thing to do when getting a new case is get one with good
ventilation on the front, next cut out those stupid exhaust mesh grills
on the back of the case. Those impede air flow greatly and cause noise
due to turbulence. Do those two things when getting a new case and heat
will not be an issue. Problem with many of today's cases on the market
is that they have stupid doors on the front so there is no ventilation.
Doors are just a bad idea all around. Who wants to have to open a door
every time you want to change the cd in the drive? Not me, I avoid cases
with doors like the plague.
0
the
7/1/2009 7:40:25 AM
Arno wrote:

> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
> whilc the top side does not.
>
> Arno

Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.
0
the
7/1/2009 7:42:42 AM
"the world according to me" <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote in message
> Arno wrote:
>
>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>> whilc the top side does not.
>>
>> Arno
>
> Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous post as to why. I'm a gamer
> so my PC gets a good workout and have never used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues
> with heat on the HDDs.

Agreed. I've been using 10/15K SCSI drives for 8 years, leaving space above/below them. My only
extra fan is a 120mm exhaust.

0
Eric
7/1/2009 2:59:27 PM
the world according to me <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote:
> Arno wrote:

>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>> whilc the top side does not.
>>
>> Arno

> Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
> post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
> used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.

The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
cooling is needed.

Arno
0
Arno
7/1/2009 10:05:05 PM
the world according to me <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote:
> Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

>> The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
>> I think you should cool the upper side.... :)
>>

> If your pC has good air circulation you don't need any dedicated cooling
> for the HDDs at all. I've never used them and have never had issues with
>  heat and HDDs either. I have 3 HDDs in my main PC and heat is just not
> a problem because that PC has good air circulation. People with loads of
> fans in their cases are just attacking the issue from the wrong angle
> and is overkill.

I think the problem is that many PCs do not have good airflow.
Direct cooling of the disk is a stopgap in these cases. I also
have a disk with noise insulation, which would die very fast
without a fan. This is a decidedly non-standard situation though.

> First thing to do when getting a new case is get one with good
> ventilation on the front, next cut out those stupid exhaust mesh grills
> on the back of the case.

I couldn't agree more. I have a very old case that went from constant
overheating to reasonable airflow with this.

> Those impede air flow greatly and cause noise
> due to turbulence. Do those two things when getting a new case and heat
> will not be an issue. Problem with many of today's cases on the market
> is that they have stupid doors on the front so there is no ventilation.
> Doors are just a bad idea all around. Who wants to have to open a door
> every time you want to change the cd in the drive? Not me, I avoid cases
> with doors like the plague.

I guess this is a case of form over function. But if you
are lucky the door is bad enough that it falls off after a while
anyways.

Arno

0
Arno
7/1/2009 10:10:05 PM
Arno wrote:
> the world according to me <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote:
>> Arno wrote:
>
>>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>>> whilc the top side does not.
>>>
>>> Arno
>
>> Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
>> post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have
>> never used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat
>> on the HDDs.
>
> The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
> cooling is needed.

And he commented on whether extra cooling is needed at all.

He's right, it normally isnt.

0
Fred
7/1/2009 10:11:33 PM
In message <7b24shF21cfd5U1@mid.individual.net> Arno <me@privacy.net>
was claimed to have wrote:

>the world according to me <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote:
>> Arno wrote:
>
>>> Actually you should cool the underside because the board is there.
>>> Also the underside typically exposes part of the aluminum body,
>>> whilc the top side does not.
>>>
>>> Arno
>
>> Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
>> post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
>> used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.
>
>The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
>cooling is needed.

If cooling isn't needed at all then it doesn't matter what you cool.
0
DevilsPGD
7/2/2009 4:04:13 AM
Arno wrote:
> the world according to me <nyb@noemail.invalid> wrote:
>> Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:
>
>>> The circuit broad of hard disks is always on the under-side.
>>> I think you should cool the upper side.... :)
>>>

>> If your pC has good air circulation you don't need any dedicated
>> cooling for the HDDs at all. I've never used them and have never had
>>  issues with heat and HDDs either. I have 3 HDDs in my main PC and
>> heat is just not a problem because that PC has good air circulation.
>> People with loads of fans in their cases are just attacking the
>> issue from the wrong angle and is overkill.
>
> I think the problem is that many PCs do not have good airflow.

Most dont need that because they only have one hard drive
and the airflow they do have is adequate in that situation.

> Direct cooling of the disk is a stopgap in these cases.

Only necessary if you have more than one hard drive and not
always even then if you can have a spare slot between drives.

> I also have a disk with noise insulation, which would die very fast
> without a fan. This is a decidedly non-standard situation though.

>> First thing to do when getting a new case is get one with good
>> ventilation on the front, next cut out those stupid exhaust mesh
>> grills on the back of the case.
>
> I couldn't agree more. I have a very old case that went from constant
> overheating to reasonable airflow with this.
>
>> Those impede air flow greatly and cause noise
>> due to turbulence. Do those two things when getting a new case and
>> heat will not be an issue. Problem with many of today's cases on the
>> market is that they have stupid doors on the front so there is no
>> ventilation. Doors are just a bad idea all around. Who wants to have
>> to open a door every time you want to change the cd in the drive?
>> Not me, I avoid cases with doors like the plague.
>
> I guess this is a case of form over function. But if you
> are lucky the door is bad enough that it falls off after a while
> anyways.
>
> Arno

0
Fred
7/2/2009 7:06:56 AM
"DevilsPGD" <DeathToSpam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <7b24shF21cfd5U1@mid.individual.net> Arno <me@privacy.net>
> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>> Disagree. No dedicated fans for the HDDs are needed. See my previous
>>> post as to why. I'm a gamer so my PC gets a good workout and have never
>>> used dedicated HDD coolers and have never had issues with heat on the HDDs.
>>
>>The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether
>>cooling is needed.
>
> If cooling isn't needed at all then it doesn't matter what you cool.

You still are cooling by case airflow, so you need free space top and bottom.

0
Eric
7/3/2009 12:55:48 AM
Eric Gisin wrote
> DevilsPGD <DeathToSpam@crazyhat.net> wrote
>> Arno me@privacy.net wrote

>>> The discussion was about what to cool if you cool, not whether cooling is needed.

>> If cooling isn't needed at all then it doesn't matter what you cool.

> You still are cooling by case airflow,

Not necessarily, some of us dont bother to put the cover on our cases.

> so you need free space top and bottom.

Not necessarily either, depends on whether you allow unused drives to spin down or not.

0
Rod
7/3/2009 2:23:58 AM
Eric Gisin wrote:

> You still are cooling by case airflow, so you need free space top and
> bottom.

Yes, I never put 2 HDDs right next to each other for that reason.
0
Jed

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

Hard Drive Dying
The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard drive to a new hard drive? Or will I have to install the new hard drive, format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch? For those of you who might think the wiser course would be to scrap the G3 altogether and move up to something newer, I feel a new hard drive would be a worthwhile fix because the rest of the computer is fine. It is mostly used for word processing, web surfing, and email, so in that respect it i...

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

hard drive power sequencer, hard drive startup sequencer
Does anyone make a power sequencer that could be used to startup hard drives sequentially rather than all at once? I'd like to put 4 HDs in my PC, and I don't want to load the power supply with spinning up all 4 HDs at the same time. *TimDaniels* For IDE drives? Nope, can't be done. They only draw 2A @ 12v, so you only need a 250W power supply. "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:BfidnXwxc52mqciiXTWJkw@comcast.com... | Does anyone make a power sequencer that | could be used to startup hard drives sequentially | rathe...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files
I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue. Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Is there a problem...

8668c hard drive is dead, wont accept any other hard drive
we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing more, nothing less. i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that flashing dot again should i use only WD or what is the problem exactly??? one more question, i tried to take that WD off the case to send it for warranty but it sounded like escaping from jail is much easier, the screws r soldered into the sheets and i cant it off, any help with t...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

Replacing a boot hard drive A with another hard drive A', while preserving the data in A
I have a Linux box L with three hard drives, A, B and C. B and C contain just user data, whereas all the OS data (that is, things like /usr, /etc, /boot etc.) lives in A. I would like to replace A with an all new hard drive A'. What is the least painful way of achieving this? In an ideal world what I'd like to do is the following: 1) Install A' in some other Linux box L' that is accessible from L by NFS. 2) Replicate A on A' over the NFS. (How's this done, by the way?) 3) Replace A with A'. That is, remove A from L, and A' from L'; install A&#...

Help
My sys is running under XP SP2 & Athlon 2000. Currently the system recognizes all 4 hard drives and their associated partitions. I loaded XP onto a backup Hard Drive, leaving the remaining 3 data drives as they were. Booting up with the new drive, all drives are see by BIOS as the system boots. Windowz see two drives properly (disk 1 (Logical G & H) & 2 (Logical C)), but does not see disk 3 (Logical E) at all and doesn't see the partition data on disk 0 (Logical D & F). If I swap back to my original "C" drive (disk 2), all of the remaining driv...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM T...

Web resources about - Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Underside
Shot at Gravelly Point, along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. This small park is right next to a major landing runway for Reagan National ...

Kazakh Billionaire’s London Home Sale Reveals Underside of Real Estate Secrecy - Bloomberg Business
On London’s Billionaires Row in Hampstead, the seven-bedroom Carlton House with its 50-foot ballroom, underground swimming pool and 10-person ...

This Space Rover Drives on the Underside of Ice
NASA’s Bruie (Buoyant Rover for Under-Ice Exploration) could prove useful in the search for extraterrestrial life

Robot Sub Maps Underside of Antarctic Ice in 3-D
The map will help reveal the amount of ice in the region, which is key for understanding climate change's effects.

CIA interrogations and the Blackwater affair: The underside of war - The Economist
AFP GEORGE BUSH’S “war on terror” left America with a scarred reputation and many disturbing questions. Barack Obama has said that he wants to ...

Prototype NASA rover can ride on the underside of frozen lakes
We've built rovers to deal with arid planets like Mars, but what about trips to Titan's hydrocarbon puddles and Europa's ice lakes? NASA's Jet ...

The Underside of a Spacecraft Is Fascinating
The European Space Agency (ESA) has just released this unusual shot of a spacecraft’s undercarriage. You can look directly into the thruster ...

NASA space rover drives on the underside of the ice
... precursorspace rover that may be flown to explore the Jupiter moon Europa. What's cool is that the rover is designed to float on the underside ...

Megamall Project's Underside Surfaces in Racketeering Trial
Details on long-delayed New Jersey megamall surface in powerbroker's racketeering trial

Megamall project's underside surfaces in racketeering trial
[...] known as American Dream Meadowlands, the sprawling project was known as Xanadu in the early 2000s when, federal prosecutors contend, Joseph ...