USB Drive does not work on USB 2.0

I have an external 3.5" hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure that I have
been attaching to USB 1.1 ports on several different computers for over
a year without any problems. I have just recently installed a USB 2.0
PCI card in my computer for faster download speeds. However, when I
plug my external drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports the device seems
to install just fine, but when I go to access the drive, it shows up as
a different drive letter than it always has before and when I go to
access the drive I get the error message:

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

However, if I reattach the external hard drive back to a USB 1.1 port
on the same computer, the old drive letter and all of my data
immediately show up. I have tried running a check disk on the drive
just to make sure there are no errors. I have also plugged different
devices into my new USB 2.0 PCI card and they have all worked properly.
I also tried just removing the USB 2.0 card from the device manager and
rediscovering it with no luck. The card was a cheaper ebay item that
came with only Win98 drivers and I am running Windows XP Professional.

I think I remember reading something a while back about a similar
problem that was fixed by removing some registry values associated with
the external hard drive, but I can no longer find these posts.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

-Andy

0
ajrobbins
6/1/2006 4:57:24 AM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

some help please w/ USB drive (NTFS) on 2.4.32 kernel
Do people use USB drives on 2.4.32 kernels? Mine works for a while, but then I start getting I/O errors and need to unload/reload usb-storage for it to work again. After running modprobe usb-storage, I get this in /var/log/messages: Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00 Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: Vendor: Maxtor 6 Model: Y250P0 Re...

some help please w/ USB drive (NTFS) on 2.4.32 kernel
Do people use USB drives on 2.4.32 kernels? Mine works for a while, but then I start getting I/O errors and need to unload/reload usb-storage for it to work again. After running modprobe usb-storage, I get this in /var/log/messages: Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00 Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Sep 2 17:20:38 buster kernel: Vendor: Maxtor 6 Model: Y2...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port?
Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup on a small USB drive. TIA Bob phule92 <heoqadv02@sneakemail.com> wrote: > Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? > > I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or > so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup > on a small USB drive. It should work, but will be slow. Assume USB's best possible...

Gigabit/USB 2.0 external 500GB drive/storage less than $400? #2
Hi, i am trying to find a network drive that is gigabit capable, that also (though i am willing to do without) has USB2.0 and is around 500GB. I didn't think this would be so difficult and i can find something like this but it is only 100Mb/Ethernet for $350+ everything else seems to start in the $500+ area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

How can I tell if my PC has USB or the new USB 2.0?
I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! klhurst3@aol.com (Klhurst3) wrote in news:20031214172608.26022.00000901@mb- m06.aol.com: > I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! See http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm ...

Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T #2
(paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) Brand NEW 16GB iPhones (Unlocked) with Newest Firmware Version 1.1.4. Stereo Headset with mic Dock Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T GSM Cingular GSM T-Mobile Rogers Wireles Fido Vodaphone Orange O2 any other GSM carriers Worldwide Comes new in original box and all accessories. (paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) spam ...

USB 2.0
Hi all: In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7 minutes. It is not as quick as ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just dr...

USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0
My laptop's USB ports advertised to be USB 2.0 When I use one of them to transfer a 106 MegaByte folder of many subfolders and files to a Sandisk 256 MB flash drive it takes about fourty minutes 2.7 MegaBytes per Minute. Does this sound right for USB 2.0 or USB 1.1? The new laptop is not executing any other programs and the hard disk light is off. Big education for me. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are standards, not speeds. Each has a high speed and a low speed. To know what your peripheral is going to do you must ignore the 1.1 and 2.0 designations as meaningless. What counts is ...

Re: USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0
Blue,=20 Your Port is USB 2.0 but I believe your sandisk flash drive is USB 1.1. If the port and flash drive are USB 2.0. Then you need to remove the USB 1.1 driver from your system. Also check your BIOS setting make sure USB is enabled. Joseph chia -----Original Message----- From: Blue [mailto:me@privacy.net]=20 Posted At: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 1:46 PM Posted To: periphs Conversation: USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0 Subject: USB flash drive speed USB1.1 vs USB 2.0 My laptop's USB ports advertised to be USB 2.0 When I use one of them to transfer a 106 MegaByt...

Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy?
Sounds useless, since most USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible. But ap= parently there's enough slop in the spec so that at least my 3.0 HD won't w= ork with my Netgear WNDR4000 N700 router's USB 2.0 port, and I can't mount = it as a network drive on my Macbook Pro Retina. You'd expect that the comp= atibility is achieved by some part of the doohickies ignoring the 3.0 conne= ctions and shuffling control signals to their 2.0 counterparts. In any cas= e, the Netgear's not smart enough to do that or something. Ideally, what I'd like is to have my USB 3...

USB 2.0 Drive Not Working Properly Under Windows 2000
I am having all kinds of problems with USB 2.0 hard drives on my Windows 2000 system. I created the volume with an NTFS volume that is 160 GB in size. I can see the volume and work with it, but... 1) After some use, the drive cannot be CHKDSKd. Windows says it cannot open the volume for "direct access". 2) Whenever I do backups to the device, I start to get all kinds of messages about not being able to write to the volume. I wanted to turn off "Write Caching" for the device, but when I got to hardware properties for the drive, the delayed write checkbox is...

Web resources about - USB Drive does not work on USB 2.0 - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Hey America, you may be sleepwalking into a Donald Trump presidency
Can you picture it yet? Not just a vague haze of orange hair in the Oval Office, but what Donald Trump would actually do with the White House ...

Safari Suggestions bug causes browser crashes in iOS and OS X
(credit: Andrew Cunningham) A server-side problem with the Safari Suggestions feature in recent versions of iOS and OS X appears to be causing ...

Bernie Sanders is using Snapchat to try to win over young voters
Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is targeting younger voters with a nine-day Snapchat campaign. The drive features a Snapchat geofilter, ...

The end of the Oregon standoff
Call it a standoff or a showdown, a protest, an occupation or whatever you like, but after nearly a month the confrontation between the Bundy ...

Zika Virus Hits The US: What You Should Know About The Deadly Virus
The Zika Virus has hit the United States and is causing concern amongst health care workers worldwide. Linked to a brain disorder called microcephaly ...

Lena Headey Channels Cersei Lannister To Read ‘Bachelor’ Insults On Jimmy Kimmel
Who would have thought that Lena Headey would fit right in with the women of The Bachelor ? Lena guested on Jimmy Kimmel Live! to promote her ...

Kendall Jenner Twerks in Couture With Gigi & Bella Hadid
Kendall Jenner heads for the George V hotel amid 2016 Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday (January 26) in Paris, France. The 20-year-old reality star ...

Abe Vigoda: 13 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘Godfather,’ ‘Barney Miller’ Actor
Before there was Tessio, before there was Fish, Abe Vigoda made his name on the stage. In the 1950s and ‘60s, the actor who died Tuesday at 94 ...

Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting
CNN Police: 2 Dead, 3 Wounded in Seattle Homeless Camp Shooting New York Times SEATTLE — Two people were killed and three others wounded as ...

Neil deGrasse Tyson Fires Back at B.o.B. With Diss Track of His Own
There was 2Pac vs. Biggie. Drake vs. Meek Mill. Now it's all about B.o.B. vs. Neil deGrasse Tyson.